Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Wonder when they are going to announce the next stretch goals. They are about to cross the 2.5 mark and only the 2.6 has been revealed.

edit: And how many levels were WK or DT? Seems like they were only 5-7 levels each.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Wonder when they are going to announce the next stretch goals. They are about to cross the 2.5 mark and only the 2.6 has been revealed.

edit: And how many levels were WK or DT? Seems like they were only 5-7 levels each.

DT had 4 levels.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Obsidian Entertainment 1 minute ago
Hey everyone - just a quick note to let you all know that the site will get updated very soon to show where we are with everything. We will then have another update out around 11AM PST. Thanks for the patience - I think Adam and I are now caught up with sleep enough to not sleep for the next 7 and a half days. :)

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA

Wouldn't be surprised if they announce them tonight, or at least one or two more.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Doesn't want Justin Sweet art because he's afraid it will make the game like Icewind Dale :retarded: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/61234-i-dont-want-pe-to-be-another-icewind-dale/

Maybe it was a bad idea to mention Justin since you love him so much (why is that is beyond me). Otherwise, I just wanted to say that I have certain concerns about Project: Eternity. It seems that Codex really wants another dungeon crawler - and I want a game like Arcanum or Fallout. I thought that Codexers actually will support this idea. Instead, you are arguing about romances, Vancian system and demanding Justin Sweet. Not to mention the mega-dungeon. You want another Icewind Dale? You will get it.

We don't know much about this game, just promises that it will be like PST, Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale. The last part worries me, and that's why I created that thread. Maybe PE will be a great RPG, I sure hope so. Or maybe it will be more like certain not-so-great games from the past. It could happen.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
and I want a game like Arcanum or Fallout.

In what ways? Also, maybe this project isn't your best shot at getting games like Arcanum or Fallout? The games referenced as inspiration for PE have little in common with these (although I would prefer if certain design elements of those games were in PE as well).

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I think 60k backers and 20k facebook likes is very doable for an 8 level mega dungeon

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong

In what ways? Also, maybe this project isn't your best shot at getting games like Arcanum or Fallout? The games referenced as inspiration for PE have little in common with these (although I would prefer if certain design elements of those games were in PE as well).

Perhaps you are right and I was mislead by mig names such as Tim Cain and Chris Avellone. But we shall see. It's really too early to tell and I just wanted to voice some of my concerns.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
You should expect something that plays like Baldur's Gate 2 / IWD with the writing of MotB/PS:T. That's the kind of game they want to make. And I'd be very happy with that. New update in 80 minutes.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
Bobby Null OEI said:
When Obsidian mentioned Icewind Dale in their first video along with Baldur's Gate and Planescape Torment, I was a bit worried. Don't get me wrong - I've played and enjoyed both IWD and IWD2, they were good games, but Icewind Dale was actually something like a big expansion pack to Baldur's Gate, centered on combat. Besides slaughtering monsters and exploring mega-dungeons there wasn't much to do. Obsidian also mentioned games Planescape: Torment, Fallout and Arcanum, so I thought Icewind Dale was put in just for the credits and PE will be more like those games. Guess I was wrong. Developers talk mostly about combat in their updates and on the forums people demand Vancian system and even Justin Sweet portraits. This is the main reason why I am opposed to Justin - I fear that the game will not only look like Icewind Dale, but it will also play like one. And this is definitely something that I do not want. There is also another thing. I remember that Sawyer once talked a bit about Icewind Dale and explained that it was a workhorse for the good old Interplay - it had a short development cycle, didn't cost much but sold really well. Fargo is also a big fun of Icewind Dale (which is not surprising lol). So, I am beginning to fear that PE will be another Icewind Dale focused on combat and dungeon-crawling, not a solid RPG like Arcanum or Planescape: Torment with a lot of options besides combat.

IWD was intended to be the story-light dungeon romp of the Infinity Engine games. It was well written, just less narrative elements than the other titles. Remember, this helped with multiplayer quite a bit as the BG games were very hard to play in multiplayer. We are inspired by the art direction and level design of the IWD series, but Project Eternity will have a much deeper narrative experience. Fear not, my friends.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Perhaps you are right and I was mislead by mig names such as Tim Cain and Chris Avellone. But we shall see. It's really too early to tell and I just wanted to voice some of my concerns.
MCA wasn't involved with either Fallout 1 or Arcanum.

Also, Josh Sawyer is the lead and he wasn't involved with Fallout 2 either.

Perhaps you mislead yourself?

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
There KS page says they already passed the 2.5 mark (at least the banner by the goal says so). I wonder how much they have gotten from PP.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
There KS page says they already passed the 2.5 mark (at least the banner by the goal says so). I wonder how much they have gotten from PP.

I *think* Feargus might mention the Paypal total in the update that is coming in about 30 minutes.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I hope that at this point all of the doubters from the beginning of the Kickstarter realize how effective this gradual, relentless drip-drip of information has been.

SwiftCrack

Arcane
Duh. They're going to get as much cash as possible from the people willing to pay, then add an expansion pack add-on in a few days. SLAM DUNK!

And btw people have been asking for more expensive digital tiers according to Obsidian.

Seriously, with all that cash in, you gotta be kidding me, You guys at Obsidian are a joke ! I wish i could unpledge my pledge, cause that combined to the crappy "goals" for money increase are really disapointing me ! I hate you !

:lol:

Gotta love these people :thumbsup:. They're free money for a better PE for us.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom