Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Yeah $45 seems about right. They have been saying it will be a long game (as in BG/BGII long).

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I know this scenario is unlikely but I was thinking that if they fail to reach 2.8 they should be all like "Aww shucks, c'mon George! Who cares about some stupid arbitrary stretch goal marketing amount, we want you back!".

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
The screenshot tomorrow will be the REAL... :dramatic drumroll: moment of this project. I think they are completely insane for even doing it, but hopefully it will end well.

Hopefully the screenshot will show the cooldown timers.

:troll:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Anyone else here also want to pretend we aren't really excited about tomorrow's "big news" but are actually giddy with excitement?

Cynic

Arcane
The screenshot tomorrow will be the REAL... :dramatic drumroll: moment of this project. I think they are completely insane for even doing it, but hopefully it will end well.

Hopefully the screenshot will show the cooldown timers.

:troll:

They must be pretty confident that the shot will have a big impact on the KS, otherwise they wouldn't be showing it. I'm hoping for them it doesn't backfire horribly.

Murk

Arcane
Trolldom: screenshot of the first brand splash screen, then after hours of complaints and threats to pull back pledges, they show screenshot of... the main menu.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Anyone else here also want to pretend we aren't really excited about tomorrow's "big news" but are actually giddy with excitement?

I'm actually not but it IS a make or break moment for me and whether I'm re-pledging.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron

I am more.....morbidly curious. I think they are completely fucking insane for even doing this. I just sure hope they know what they are doing.....

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
A single SCREEN SHOT... out of the wealth of information will change you?

WAT?

Jaesun, before I respond to this I want you to picture something. And get real creative with it in your mind. Ok. I want you to pretend I just cast a spell on you. It lasts 24 hours. The spell is called "Four Rabbit Turds". After I cast the spell, four rabbit turds appear on your tongue. The rabbit turds are enchanted and therefore sustain your energy throughout the 24 hour period, although, they are still rabbit turds. And there are four of them. On your tongue. For one day. I want you to picture this because this is the exact response I would love to become a reality after reading that post you just made. You know. The one I quoted.

So now that you're picturing what four rabbit turds on your tongue for a full day would be like...let me clear that up for you:

I am not interested in this game. There's nothing other than the association of past accomplishments of certain developers which has me interested at all. And my benefit of the doubt has dried up after witnessing what has thusfar been a complete shithouse/trainwreck Kickstarter campaign of confusion and pandering but also a fucking embarrassment in art direction. So yeah. If I'm not giving a shit before the KS campaign is over I don't pledge. I wait and see. That said, if something came out looking like MotB tomorrow...who knows. I might have a private special moment.

Murk

Arcane
You might even figure out how to use spell casters this time! ;D

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron

WAT?

Jaesun, before I respond to this I want you to picture something. And get real creative with it in your mind. Ok. I want you to pretend I just cast a spell on you. It lasts 24 hours. The spell is called "Four Rabbit Turds". After I cast the spell, four rabbit turds appear on your tongue. The rabbit turds are enchanted and therefore sustain your energy throughout the 24 hour period, although, they are still rabbit turds. And there are four of them. On your tongue. For one day. I want you to picture this because this is the exact response I would love to become a reality after reading that post you just made. You know. The one I quoted.

So now that you're picturing what four rabbit turds on your tongue for a full day would be like...let me clear that up for you:

I am not interested in this game. There's nothing other than the association of past accomplishments of certain developers which has me interested at all. And my benefit of the doubt has dried up after witnessing what has thusfar been a complete shithouse/trainwreck Kickstarter campaign of confusion and pandering but also a fucking embarrassment in art direction. So yeah. If I'm not giving a shit before the KS campaign is over I don't pledge. I wait and see. That said, if something came out looking like MotB tomorrow...who knows. I might have a private special moment.

Kind of like Wasteland 2?

Cynic

Arcane
Sure Cynic, because they wouldn't do something that would backfire like announcing an expansion pack before the campaign was over.

Did that backfire? Grim Dawn did it too and peeps got excited. I think for people who have already pledged, it's a good incentive to up that pledge, considering that you are already into the game that does not exist to put money up for it, so why not a bit more for an expansion that does not exist?

I guess it could backfire if the game totally tanks and they took money from people and now can't afford to fund the expansion...but I don't think it will tank that badly, unless they epic fail, which will be sad, but also awesome for all the butthurt that it will cause.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
No. Not really. And this quip doesn't get any wittier with repetition if you were curious.

InXile:

Choplifter2, The Bards Tale and then Sparkworkz. Let us have a read shall we?

Founded in 2008, Sparkworkz is a division of inXile entertainment, focusing on web based addictive casual games as well as community growth and development. In addition to providing quality web based games to users for free, Sparkworkz allows inXile to foster a motivated community available for marketing and PR campaigns; as well as an available focus group for new ideas and intellectual properties. We host and operate a collection of websites, each creating engaged visitors:

Over 2.6 million pageviews a month
Over 600,000 unique visitors
Time on a game page: Over 3 minutes!
Over 50% female

Obsidian Entertainment:

Knight's of the Old Republic 2, Neverwinter Night's 2, Mask of the Betrayer, Storm of Zehir, Alpha Protocol, Dungeon Siege III, Fallout: New Vegas

Which of these 2 companies are passionate about cRPG's? You might need to enable your quest compass.

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot

WAT?

I don't agree with you at all, but you're a badass and I like that. And they don't let me Brofist. So.

:bro:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
No. Not really. And this quip doesn't get any wittier with repetition if you were curious.

InXile:

Choplifter2, The Bards Tale and then Sparkworkz. Let us have a read shall we?

Founded in 2008, Sparkworkz is a division of inXile entertainment, focusing on web based addictive casual games as well as community growth and development. In addition to providing quality web based games to users for free, Sparkworkz allows inXile to foster a motivated community available for marketing and PR campaigns; as well as an available focus group for new ideas and intellectual properties. We host and operate a collection of websites, each creating engaged visitors:

Over 2.6 million pageviews a month
Over 600,000 unique visitors
Time on a game page: Over 3 minutes!
Over 50% female

Obsidian Entertainment:

Knight's of the Old Republic 2, Neverwinter Night's 2, Mask of the Betrayer, Storm of Zehir, Alpha Protocol, Dungeon Siege III, Fallout: New Vegas

Which of these 2 companies are passionate about cRPG's? You might need to enable your quest compass.
Can't I be excited about both games?

Yes I know I'm hopelessly naive. :(

Esquilax

Arcane
Kind of like Wasteland 2?

I'm totally in agreement here. I've skimmed through this thread here and there, I didn't really wish to get involved because I see a bunch of aspies going through complicated mental masturbation to justify purchases that are all pretty much based on faith. And that's what pledging for most of these KS projects is, an act of faith. We don't really know shit about either game, so trying to rationalize all of this shit is pathetic.

I didn't pay attention too much to the Wasteland 2 thread, but I've never seen an emotional rollercoaster like this over minor details in a fucking video game. This is the thread as I've understood it so far:

ANOTHER IE GAME?! WOO-FUCKING-HOO I'M PLEDGING A GAZILLION DOLLARS!!
RTWP?! JUST LIKE ALL THOSE OTHER GAMES I LIKED?! THATS BULLSHIT HOW FUCKING DARE THEY! WITHDRAWING MY PLEDGE FUCK YOU OBSHITIAN!!!
IRONMAN MODE AND PARTY CREATION? YOU'VE ANSWERED MY PRAYERS OBSIDIAN ARE TRUE BROS!!! NOW IM PLEDGING 2 GAZILLION DOLLARS!!
COOLDOWNS?! I DONT KNOW WHAT THE CONTEXT IS BUT IM SURE AS FUCK ANGRY FOR SOME REASON!! WITHDRAWING MY PLEDGE FUCK THOSE LYING CUNTS AT OBSHITIAN!!!

Tomorrow:
OMG... THAT WAS THE MOST BEAUTIFUL SCREENSHOT EVER! THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST GAEM EVAR!! UPPED MY PLEDGE TO 10 GAZILLION DOLLARS!!!

This is so fucking stupid - you aren't a savvy consumer for doing this, you're just someone who spends way too much time thinking about this shit. It all comes down to this for the majority of the Kickstarters we've seen: do you miss good RPG's? Do you want to take a chance on Obsidian/Brian Fargo making another good RPG? If you are willing to take that leap of faith (and that's what these projects are, a leap of faith), then pledge money. I was willing to trust Obsidian, so I pledged $20 bucks because I'm poor and I didn't really think on it further.

And if you aren't willing to pledge, that's cool too, but how the fuck could you possibly waste so much mental energy thinking it over this long? Same with Wasteland 2, either you like the idea and you pledge or you don't. I don't see how there's anything more to think about here.

Grimlorn

Arcane
It's a love/hate relationship with Obsidian. One minute they're lovers, the next minute they hate each other and never want to see them again. :P

And some people are just more passionate about CRPGs than others. That's why they expend so much mental energy.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I was a contrarian from day one. Also I would never let anyone know I post here, much like how Lesi currently denies any previous association with this place.
I was just kidding you to start with, but this has to be the epitome of hypocrisy.

1) special rules apply to you because you're a "contrarian"

2) guilt by association

3) Being honest makes one guilty. If they hid their 4chan roots as you hide your codex involvement, they would be more respectable?

Cynic

Arcane
This is the thread as I've understood it so far:

ANOTHER IE GAME?! WOO-FUCKING-HOO I'M PLEDGING A GAZILLION DOLLARS!!
RTWP?! JUST LIKE ALL THOSE OTHER GAMES I LIKED?! THATS BULLSHIT HOW FUCKING DARE THEY! WITHDRAWING MY PLEDGE FUCK YOU OBSHITIAN!!!
IRONMAN MODE AND PARTY CREATION? YOU'VE ANSWERED MY PRAYERS OBSIDIAN ARE TRUE BROS!!! NOW IM PLEDGING 2 GAZILLION DOLLARS!!
COOLDOWNS?! I DONT KNOW WHAT THE CONTEXT IS BUT IM SURE AS FUCK ANGRY FOR SOME REASON!! WITHDRAWING MY PLEDGE FUCK THOSE LYING CUNTS AT OBSHITIAN!!!

Tomorrow:
OMG... THAT WAS THE MOST BEAUTIFUL SCREENSHOT EVER! THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST GAEM EVAR!! UPPED MY PLEDGE TO 10 GAZILLION DOLLARS!!!

Of course but this is what makes it fucking entertaining and hilarious.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom