Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Yeah $45 seems about right. They have been saying it will be a long game (as in BG/BGII long).

you sell more at a lower price

:roll:

Denying what the last 5 years of digital distribution has taught us is being purposefully ignorant. Read Vogel's words on his pricing change.

Huh? I was pointing out the complete obviousness of your statement. "You sell more at a lower price" is basic market economics 101. And you made it out to be this special thing in the PC market ;)

Hobz

Savant
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Pledges went into the negative a bit and were very volatile for most of the day when that update was released.

No they didn't. Why do people keep imagining that "OMG pledges are stopping" when there's an update they don't like? It's never happened, not once.
Because idiots often fail to realize their opinion is not considered absolute truth by others. I know you'll all agree with me.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Yeah $45 seems about right. They have been saying it will be a long game (as in BG/BGII long).

Denying what the last 5 years of digital distribution has taught us is being purposefully ignorant. Read Vogel's words on his pricing change.

Huh? I was pointing out the complete obviousness of your statement. "You sell more at a lower price" is basic market economics 101. And you made it out to be this special thing in the PC market ;)

Oh.

Well for a long time people like Vogel seemed to think you made more with niche products by gouging the hardcore. I think that has been proven false though, which was my point. And some above were saying it should be $50, which I think would be insanity. So not entirely obvious to everyone.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Oh.

Well for a long time people like Vogel seemed to think you made more with niche products by gouging the hardcore. I think that has been proven false though, which was my point. And some above were saying it should be $50, which I think would be insanity. So not entirely obvious to everyone.

Just because you sell more units doesn't mean you make more money.

If you sell 50 units for 300$ you make more than if you sell 1000 units for 1$.

You need to find the optimal price point for the relation between price and the amount of units you sell. What that is for a video game of this type I won't guesstimate, and my guess is the market analyzers who will be responsible for the decision are better suited at the task ;)

Obsidian isn't a miniature basement developer like Vogel who basically sets his own prices.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
You need to find the optimal price point for the relation between price and the amount of units you sell. What that is for a video game of this type I won't guesstimate, and my guess is the market analyzers who will be responsible for the decision are better suited at the task ;)

Obsidian isn't a miniature basement developer like Vogel who basically sets his own prices.

Sure, but in my opinion that sweet spot cannot possibly be over $30 or so. Maybe a $30 base edition and a $40 one with digital goodies. The indie/old school homage/dedicate PC market has been set for years now by companies like Paradox and retailers like Steam.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I would expect that the price of PE is somewhere between 30 and 40 kwabucks. You want the people who pledged on kickstarter to feel that they got a decent discount, to encourage people to also pledge for the next KS. At the same time you don't want the price to be so high that potential purchasers feel the game is overpriced compared to the kickstarter level.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
1csoV.png

Captain Shrek

I don't know if we're bored of the magic debate, but Sawyer posted this on his formspring:

Our goal is to allow casters to contribute to combat in a way that is more substantive than hucking sling stones without always needing to chew into a per-rest resource. Additionally, we want the caster's higher level spells to be reasonably powerful but also a strategic resource for the player to manage.

Which means lower levels are NOT a strategic resource at any point of time or at least do not matter with level (like sleep in DnD). This is terrible. Instead of fixing problems in DnD they are compounding them. One wonders if this differs from Stone flinging just in terms of animation.

And I am not even talking about the rest of the stuff.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
GordonHalfman That Formspring response is old, we've already talked about it extensively earlier in this thread. Don't wake up the cooldown haters again.

Oh fuck too late

logrus

Augur
Project: Eternity
This graph may be a little bit misleading for some folks since we have only 5 more days to go for PE. So the green series is cut-off at day 32. I assume your intention is to show the spike a few days before the end of pledging period, right?. If the graph it's aligned the other way that all 3 series end at the same time at the end of pledging period (so in fact it's countdown to finish not days from start), then the spike comparision is much easier.

Arkeus

Arcane
Which means lower levels are NOT a strategic resource at any point of time or at least do not matter with level (like sleep in DnD). This is terrible. Instead of fixing problems in DnD they are compounding them. One wonders if this differs from Stone flinging just in terms of animation.

Actually, he was pretty clear that the spells going from "per rest" to "per cooldowns" was depending on the level of the caster.
So i guess lvl1 spells would be "per cooldown" when a wizard is level 7 or so (has level 4 spells), and so on. At least in the actual examples he has given.

Captain Shrek

Actually, he was pretty clear that the spells going from "per rest" to "per cooldowns" was depending on the level of the cast.
So i guess lvl1 spells would be "per cooldown" when a wizard is level 7 ro so (has level 4 spells), and so on. At least in the actual examples he has given.
Did you actually read what I wrote?

Gurkog

Erudite
Pledges went into the negative a bit and were very volatile for most of the day when that update was released.

No they didn't. Why do people keep imagining that "OMG pledges are stopping" when there's an update they don't like? It's never happened, not once.

I was watching kicktraq and the daily pledges were -200 for about an hour. They slowly picked up after that.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member

I was watching kicktraq and for about an hour the pledges were -200 for the day. They slowly picked up after that.

An entire hour, you don't say

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
2,6 million dollarus in Kickstarter, been gathering nicely so far today...should be good day when Kwanzians wake up.

:hero:

Gurkog

Erudite

I was watching kicktraq and for about an hour the pledges were -200 for the day. They slowly picked up after that.

An entire hour, you don't say

I edited my post. I should stop staying up way too late.

Cynic

Arcane
Are we talking about cooldowns again yet so I can bring the :rage: ?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom