Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I really hope there is a culture or gameplay option to go against the gods in this game, since they are so prevalent.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Have they said anywhere are they putting their own money into the game or just what they get from Kickstarter?

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Have they said anywhere are they putting their own money into the game or just what they get from Kickstarter?

They've said that if they have to create any new tools that could benefit the company for future projects, they might invest their own money in that.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This fucker is picking up steam. I really think my guestimated 3.7mil is within reach now. Any ideas about future stretch goals? Some of my guesses would be Justin Sweet, multiclassing (or prestiges), toolkit, new continent, ships (and ship combat), horses + caravans, one more companion, minigames (like gambling), or an advanced political system.

I'd really like to see a multiplayer + GM client stretch goal, but that's probably too far fetched. What do y'all think?

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This fucker is picking up steam. I really think my guestimated 3.7mil is within reach now. Any ideas about future stretch goals? Some of my guesses would be Justin Sweet, Multiclassing (or Prestiges), Toolkit, new continent, Ships (and ship combat), horses + caravans, one more companion, minigames (like gambling), or an advanced political system.

I'd really like to see a multiplayer + GM client stretch goal, but that's probably too far fetched. What do y'all think?

I think it will not reach 3.7 million.

Also, strongholds.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

They've said repeatedly singleplayer only, no matter how much it makes it will just increase the singleplayer scope. Which is fucking incline, thank you very much.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Yeah, I don't think it will reach 3,7 but it can reach 3,2 or even 3,5. Depends on how well the screenshot will be received.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong

They've said repeatedly singleplayer only, no matter how much it makes it will just increase the singleplayer scope. Which is fucking incline, thank you very much.

No, a real mod kit that works and a GM client can produce magnificent creations and roleplaying. Like I said, it is outside the current scope, but I don't believe you understand the possibilities. I'm not talking WoW or Diablo or anything. Good larp quality RP and C&C only comes when you have live players to interact with. It's super hard though. I'm cool with a quality Single player game, and it's far better than a shitty Multiplayer one.

bminorkey

I'm just hoping all these money grubbing gimmicks don't signal the game itself is going to be a streamlined Jewish totem of greed. Chances are sinking low, though.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
so what was that cooldowns thing?

Not MMO style. Encounter length cooldowns for spell level, not individual spells. In this case the cooldowns go away for lower level spells too. They also have a grimoire system where you construct various spellbooks. Switching between spellbooks on the fly has cooldowns. Sounds like a good system so far, but we have to wait and see.

Arkeus

Arcane
so what was that cooldowns thing?
Low level spells have "cooldown for the whole spell level when you use a certtain number of spells for that level in a row" while high level spells have per-rest system (think Vancian).

Basically, if your character is level 10, his level 4-5spells would be vancians-like (except with grimoires, and a bit of tweaks), and levels 1-3 would have spell level cooldowns once you use a few spells of that level. They aren't really sure when a "per rest" spell is going to turn "per encounter". In the example above, for example, it's possible that level 3 would still be per rest.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus

bminorkey

I'm just hoping all these money grubbing gimmicks don't signal the game itself is going to be a streamlined Jewish totem of greed. Chances are sinking low, though.
What money grubbing gimmicks are we talking about this time?

There's nothing "new" really; t's mostly how the tiers and such keep getting more and more trivial vs. how much money they ask for and the entire project feels more and more like an Epic Marketing Venture, what with two expansion packs announced before funding and Facebook Likes 4 Megadungeon, as opposed to the small, quirky studio project it could've ideally been. It's frighteningly effective, and for the most part more money is good, but the spirit of the thing feels off and one can only hope it doesn't seep into the actual development.

Captain Shrek

Dude you must be dumb. Did you miss that OR? That's where I talked about the alternative.
You still aren't making a close to relatively true observation. low levels spells would be powerful when we are low levels and they are per-rest, and then they would merely be "better than doing nothing" to "can be pretty nifty if used well".

Which then you will spam. As long as a spell is not useless spamming it makes it trivial.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There's nothing "new" really; t's mostly how the tiers and such keep getting more and more trivial vs. how much money they ask for and the entire project feels more and more like an Epic Marketing Venture, what with two expansion packs announced before funding and Facebook Likes 4 Megadungeon, as opposed to the small, quirky studio project it could've ideally been. It's frighteningly effective, and for the most part more money is good, but the spirit of the thing feels off and one can only hope it doesn't seep into the actual development.

The tiers should always be trivial versus how money they ask for - it's just a small incentive that should help you decide to donate obscene amounts of money based on pure faith - it's in no way a quid pro quo exchange. Same thing with the stretch goals - the amount of money asked in no way corresponds to the stated goal. And I don't remember people throwing a fit when Fargo was doing the same bloody thing, they are just trying to generate hype for the project.

But then again I am a race traitor.

Which then you will spam. As long as a spell is not useless spamming it makes it trivial.

Well, this has certainly been true for your complaints.

bminorkey

Whoops, I meant the stretch goals. The donation tiers themselves feel okay aside from the expansion pack stuff.

The stretch goals keep offering highly desirable features that are likely to get most people to donate extra, but are fundamentally trivial to implement. And yet we can't have a Barbarian class or a crafting system without an extra 100k$.

They're treating us like goyim pigs that cannot be incentivized to donate without superficial instant gratification (I should know, I'm Jew). Which works, so go figure how much of that mentality goes into the actual game.

There are more honest ways to generate hype.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
You can tell when a thread has just about reached its end point when half the posts are about how stupid the other half of the posts/posters are. It's like GD light.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I doubt the screenshot will look that great at this point in development. Still, it'll be interesting to see what kind of progress they've made thus far.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom