Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Arkeus

Arcane
Which means lower levels are NOT a strategic resource at any point of time or at least do not matter with level (like sleep in DnD). This is terrible. Instead of fixing problems in DnD they are compounding them. One wonders if this differs from Stone flinging just in terms of animation.

And I am not even talking about the rest of the stuff.
Actually, he was pretty clear that the spells going from "per rest" to "per cooldowns" was depending on the level of the cast.
So i guess lvl1 spells would be "per cooldown" when a wizard is level 7 ro so (has level 4 spells), and so on. At least in the actual examples he has given.
Did you actually read what I wrote?

You said at any point of time. Given low level spells will be per-days until we are level 7+, it's false.

Captain Shrek

Which means lower levels are NOT a strategic resource at any point of time or at least do not matter with level (like sleep in DnD). This is terrible. Instead of fixing problems in DnD they are compounding them. One wonders if this differs from Stone flinging just in terms of animation.

And I am not even talking about the rest of the stuff.
Actually, he was pretty clear that the spells going from "per rest" to "per cooldowns" was depending on the level of the cast.
So i guess lvl1 spells would be "per cooldown" when a wizard is level 7 ro so (has level 4 spells), and so on. At least in the actual examples he has given.
Did you actually read what I wrote?

You said at any point of time. Given low level spells will be per-days until we are level 7+, it's false.

Did you miss the OR.

And yes. Any point of time is as correct. Since if the spell is useful at all levels then it is overpowered for lower levels.

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
I would rather have orcs than elves, but that is just my irrational hatred of pointy-eared androgynous wastes of space. Arg... gonna have to go on a genocidal rampage in BG again. I must cleanse the world of the elf stain.

grotsnik

Arcane
n0P9N.jpg

Huh.

Arkeus

Arcane
Did you miss the OR

And yes. Any point of time is as correct. Since if the spell is useful at all levels then it is overpowered for lower levels.
Except that all spells won't be useful at all levels, the same way that some low level spells are useful once you first get them, but then get useless because it can never meet the DC of the various increased saves of enemies, but other lower-level spells like magic missiles or sonic orbs or a quick fire protection/mage armor or at least better than just reloading your crossbow.

It's useful relative to using a crossbow, not 'as useful as your high level spells'.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA

Linden

Arcane
It's funny that they are pimping out t-shirts with the Project:Eternity logo. For all we know, the word "eternity" won't even be in the final name of the game.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
1) special rules apply to you because you're a "contrarian"
Yep. If they wrote articles decrying all the disgusting misogynerds that post in their video game board I wouldn't hate them.
2) guilt by association
Uh huh. To back up my first point: http://requireshate.wordpress.com/2012/04/29/on-male-feminist-supporters-and-vaulting-low-bars/
Your battlefield isn’t feminist blogs; it’s Reddit and Something Awful and Westeros.org and The Escapist, the drainage of the Internet, the gaming forums. It’s a twitter flame war when a popular iconic male writer is called sexist and his critic is swarmed over with hundreds of fanboys screaming her down, calling her a rabid, crazy man-hating bitch. Yes, this is where you may run up against the trouble of whiteknighting and end up speaking for a woman who doesn’t need you to speak up for her, but in channels dominated by fanboys and neckbeards and assorted unsavories, chances are good that focusing your wrath on other men will at the very least stem the tide.
3) Being honest makes one guilty. If they hid their 4chan roots as you hide your codex involvement, they would be more respectable?
Well I can read the 4chan off them just from the articles, so no. On the other hand, you wouldn't suspect me of being a Codex poster anywhere else. Meanwhile I can tell who is and isn't a Codex poster on the Obsidian forums just from their awful attitudes.

Captain Shrek

Did you miss the OR

Except that all spells won't be useful at all levels, the same way that some low level spells are useful once you first get them, but then get useless because it can never meet the DC of the various increased saves of enemies, but other lower-level spells like magic missiles or sonic orbs or a quick fire protection/mage armor or at least better than just reloading your crossbow.

It's useful relative to using a crossbow, not 'as useful as your high level spells'.

Dude you must be dumb. Did you miss that OR? That's where I talked about the alternative.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If you are here to fight the good fight you are making a pretty shit job of it though. If not then you aren't any better.

grotsnik

Arcane
Thank God that terrible debate about cooldowns is over and we can all get back to discussing Lesifoere's blog.

Captain Shrek

Meanwhile I can tell who is and isn't a Codex poster on the Obsidian forums just from their awful attitudes.

Yes, the non-Codex posters certainly have awful attitudes
This is what the entitled babies of the Codex actually believe. :smug:

I read in some prestigious psychology journal which at this time I regretfully do not recall at a time I don't care to remember from a famous scientist whose name I am terribly sorry to have forgotten, that idiots can not appreciate humour.

Arkeus

Arcane
Dude you must be dumb. Did you miss that OR? That's where I talked about the alternative.
You still aren't making a close to relatively true observation. low levels spells would be powerful when we are low levels and they are per-rest, and then they would merely be "better than doing nothing" to "can be pretty nifty if used well".

Thank God that terrible debate about cooldowns is over and we can all get back to discussing Lesifoere's blog.​
oops, sorry.​

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Has this been posted on the Codex yet? http://www.vgrevolution.com/2012/10/interview-with-project-eternitys-josh-sawyer/

Josh Sawyer said:
We want to allow players to select few more elements during character creation to define their background a bit. One of those elements is the character’s Culture, which is where he or she was raised. In our setting, race and culture are not intrinsically linked, so you can have people of various races growing up all over the place. We can then use the character’s Culture to unlock different dialogue options with and reactions from NPCs as well as open up character options in a manner similar to 3E Forgotten Realms’ Regional Feats.

So, for example, you might make a boreal dwarf (like Sagani, the female ranger we’ve shown) and decide that he was raised in the remote southern island of Naasitaq, where many other boreal dwarves share the rocky tundra and snow-covered forests with far-roaming caravan elves who drift near the shoreline. Alternately, your boreal dwarf may have been raised in the cramped, humid, towering cities of Aedyr, among the aggressive explorers who crossed an ocean to colonize the Dyrwood. Ideally, we want your race and culture to help inform both how you role-play your character as well as how you mechanically play your character.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Using cultures and subraces to further flesh out character creation is an extreme incline. It gives the races a lot more heft than to simply allow for a dozen or so model + stat blocks choices. One could even go so far to make dwarves, gnomes, and hobbits halflings various subcategories of the Dwarf race. I'm betting that Sawyer and the others are recreating one of their 3e dnd homebrews with Project Eternity. Furthermore, some of their ideas seem to reflect years of iteration. I think we're witnessing the origins of a truly magnificent fantasy setting here. I can't wait to find out more.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Pledges went into the negative a bit and were very volatile for most of the day when that update was released.

No they didn't. Why do people keep imagining that "OMG pledges are stopping" when there's an update they don't like? It's never happened, not once.

I was watching kicktraq and the daily pledges were -200 for about an hour. They slowly picked up after that.
That happens sometimes. But it is only for one or two people, who change their minds and unpledge. I've just seen that somebody unpledged 3000 dollars a few minutes ago. But overall the pledge rate is nice and steady.

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
It's funny that they are pimping out t-shirts with the Project:Eternity logo. For all we know, the word "eternity" won't even be in the final name of the game.
Pretty sure that other game wont be called DoubleFine Adventure neither, but it's still a neat t-shirt.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom