Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
ME SO CREEPY. ME STALK YOU LONG TIME.

Josh Sawyer is a huge fan of D&D 4e's system changes and all classes being equally useful, you better believe this is going to happen.

Got a source? Though I must admit overall it doesn't bother me that much. Just a matter of preference.

Baron

Arcane
I always liked systems where the player chose their own playstyle and level of difficulty upon character creation. If you're not a patient player, if you do not like reading in-game books and clues, if you minimised Charisma, then you can smash your way through hordes of enemies with some kind of blunt metal object. Good for gamers who enjoy clicking on moving sprites for 80+ hours of gameplay. Alternatively, if you're the kind of player who likes complex game mechanics, discovering lore, finding alternative and indirect paths through problems, understanding lock tumblers or alchemy then you play a mage or a thief.

Actually, I'll take that back. I would like min-maxed Warriors to have minimal options, but Warriors who invested points into other stats should get interesting feats to allow them creative or strategic gameplay. (But Warriors with minimum Wisdom shouldn't be allowed to use a helmet or a shield *snigger*.) And Thieves should have the option of a garotte for their sneak attack though instead of the backstab. Not enough games utilise a good gurgling sound file.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Fallout New Vegas was one of the most inclusive and progressive games around. Sawyer also gave money to Anita Sarkeesian. Ya'll gonna have to check your privilege at the title screen. :smug:

(Even more) On the upside: Josh Sawyer hates romances, even made Bioware writer Patrick Weekes cry like a baby over it.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
ME SO CREEPY. ME STALK YOU LONG TIME.

Josh Sawyer is a huge fan of D&D 4e's system changes and all classes being equally useful, you better believe this is going to happen.

Got a source? Though I must admit overall it doesn't bother me that much. Just a matter of preference.
http://www.formspring.me/JESawyer/q/641429588
I'm currently in a 4th Edition D&D campaign. I've been playing D&D in one form or another since about 5th grade, starting with the red book Basic Set. Of the D&D editions, I like 4th the best so far, but I haven't done any high level play.
http://www.formspring.me/JESawyer/q/362774131134983616
Hey Ropekid, not to bring up a dumb systems argument but did you enjoy 4e?

I'm still playing it, and yes. I've played more 2nd Ed. than anything else, but at this point I've played a fair amount of 4E (still less than 3E/3.5 and 1st Ed. but more than Basic/Expert). I think the way that WotC split the core races/classes between PHB1/2 was a practical and transparently cynical way to promote more sales of both handbooks, but I like the rule system overall.

My current campaign is in Paragon tier and the combats are getting slow. I timed out how long each player takes to act in real time, and it averages over 2 minutes, which is not good. The biggest chunks of time seem to be a) picking what to do (often paying attention can help alleviate this, but the long turns per player make it difficult to stay focused) b) calculating attack rolls and c) calculating damage. Those may seem like "no duh" things, but I was kind of floored when I actually paid attention to how much time people spent doing them.

Skill challenges are terrible. I don't think I need to really argue the position as I think almost the entire universe agrees with me on this point.

I disagree with George's statements about role-playing potential in 4E vs. other editions. I also don't think the classes feel that similar -- outside of each class possessing the same number of abilities/powers/etc. Even at low levels, my warden and my bard felt very different from each other and very different from the other PCs.

Our current campaign is Scales of War, and I have been disappointed by the role-playing potential in the modules themselves. There really isn't a lot of room for adjusting the course of the story or making moral/ethical choices, so I have been bummed out about that. Our DM has still found ways to insert role-playing opportunities into the campaign based on our backstories and choices we make with his (added) content.

And here's a bunch of stuff from a SA thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3469520&userid=17931

kris

Arcane
I love map art. It's easy to criticise things like that before hearing the background put into them but I would expect more than something a hobbyist cartographer would do. It would literally take no more than an hour to draw and label that map, and a good map can easily be the most important piece of art representing an RPG.

With that said I am going to analyse some of the names!

Lake of drow tombs. Here is one of the most telling things. Either drow is in the game or is an dead race. as far as I know "drow" has only been used in AD&D settings.

Ruins of Eír Glanfath. Sounds celtish and since it is ruins it should be some dead culture. I would reckon a guess and say it is elven ruins. What I wonder though is if the two black cities/fortresses there are ruins? Because that would make little sense since they have English names. Ibrel's well.

Free Palatinate (of Dyrwood). Really a latin name. Most famous being the German county, but it was used in England. Basically means "Palace". More or less small free kingdoms. Or one big independent county. A big countrysized county make little sense though, did they just pick the word because it looked cool?

New Heomar/Yarma. Implies heavily that there was some original ones. Colonists from somewhere or migrated people. the name themselves clash heavily with the other English ones, so I will assume that they came from somewhere else and made those cities. (except they would not call them "New" if they had another language!)

No country is named. Two cities in south-east corner imply another country though.

Baron

Arcane

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Lake of drow tombs. Here is one of the most telling things. Either drow is in the game or is an dead race. as far as I know "drow" has only been used in AD&D settings.

DROWNED tombs. Not drow.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's like the lake of drowned tombs. The edge is covering up the ned.

Jinx, another coke!

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
I'm really curious about the isometric part. Are they going to make a 2D backdrop? How will it scale? 3D has delivered a huge advantage to scalability in the last decade and I'm not sure everyone remembers how difficult it was to scale shit back then.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I had this crazy theory that Obsidian would split off a fraction of its business to this kickstarter, name drop from Avellone/Cain/Sawyer, collect their gold, then drop some work experience students onto the project while the developers go back to their other main projects.

Tonight, I found this...

http://www.obsidianent.com/jobs/programming/jobs-programming-intern.html
http://www.obsidianent.com/jobs-2d-env-intern

tsk tsk. Obsidian, why so :keepmyjewgold: ?

These applications were there on their site for a long time.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Shame about the combat being RTwP.
At least they're not using the DnD ruleset, so there's at least some hope that the combat system won't be a horrific clusterfuck.

I've pledged my $20 - just hope they confirm Linux support soon.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
IDtenT GameBanshee said it's going to be ToEE style, 2D pre-rendered backdrops with 3D character models.

Stinger

Arcane
He had some formspring rant where he wasn't that negative about 4e is all.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
I imagine Obsidian already have an idea what type of system they want for the game, but this poll is important nonetheless I think: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/59957-what-type-of-game-system/

What kind of system would you like this game to have?

1. A system like SPECIAL
  2. A system like AD+D
  3. A system similar to Elder Scrolls or Final Fantasy II

It's a pitched battle between AD&D and SPECIAL now. Every vote counts.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Wouldn't using TORN mean they have to pay monies to that french wanker?
I remember reading quite recently somewhere (maybe it was right here on the Codex, but I don't remember exactly) about Feargus saying that when Interplay broke up and they left to form Obsidian, he made sure he acquired some unnamed valuable assets from the corpse of Interplay. The rights to TORN may be the assets he was talking about.
He was referring to art. He bought a lot of art from Icewind Dale in particular.

I doubt it's TORN since that was some Dragon Age-esque shit and I'm hoping they're going to be a little more creative than that. I don't recall anything Scottish about it from what we saw either.

Oh by the way, looks like you were somewhat right about this. We ended up with a ever-so-slightly-different TORN after all!

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/60005-day-5-dlc/ :lol:

3loodangel said:
It is painfully obvious that it's impossible to escape the desperate housewives demographic. So you could milk them with a DLC.
A day 5 DLC would have the most important RPG features:

1. More beards for characters.
2. Armors that give protection to the nipples.
3. More hats.
4. A wide range of clothes, that both men and women can wear.
5. Add romance options to otherwise normal characters.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Wouldn't using TORN mean they have to pay monies to that french wanker?
I remember reading quite recently somewhere (maybe it was right here on the Codex, but I don't remember exactly) about Feargus saying that when Interplay broke up and they left to form Obsidian, he made sure he acquired some unnamed valuable assets from the corpse of Interplay. The rights to TORN may be the assets he was talking about.
He was referring to art. He bought a lot of art from Icewind Dale in particular.

I doubt it's TORN since that was some Dragon Age-esque shit and I'm hoping they're going to be a little more creative than that. I don't recall anything Scottish about it from what we saw either.

Oh by the way, looks like you were somewhat right about this. We ended up with a ever-so-slightly-different TORN after all!

How is this like TORN?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom