Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
obsidian site is down:M

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
How is this like TORN?
In Torn, the player assumed the role of a wanderer, who was cursed to bring misfortune to people and places around it.
In Dullsville: Eternity you play the role of a watcher, cursed to do... something.

Torn was to use a modified version of the SPECIAL system; combat occurred in quasi-real-time, rather than strictly being turn-based.
Real time with pause, check.

Torn was to allow the player direct control over only the protagonist character. However, up to five artificial intelligence-controlled "companions" could be hired at once, and would have replaced a conventional adventuring party. Companions would have interacted with one another, obligating the player to find companions who worked well together
While these features were publicized, Feargus Urquhart later stated that "even at the end of our work on Torn, we were still considering going back to a system that gave players direct, full control over the party members".
Create a single character, gather companions, check.

David Maldonado on TORN's setting: "The primary idea was to create a high-fantasy world (a prerequisite from day one - it's by far the most popular CRPG setting, despite the raucous cries of slightly jaded developers, reviewers, and some long-time gamers... sorry, guys) that began with a concept simple enough for everyone to get their head around. Then it was a matter of plent-o' twists, "tweaks for coolness," unique takes and variants on some old familiar standards, and BOOM : the World of Torn. In nearly all aspects of the world we've strived to create something familiar, yet different. I wanted there to be intriguing details and story for those interested in such, answers to those many questions so often ignored in other settings (e.g. "where the heck do all these orcs come from, and why are they all so angry?!"), background and reasons that made sense and were entertaining to discover and learn about... but most of all, I wanted Torn to be enthralling without having to be totally alien ("In Torn, dwarves live underwater and have tentacles and four eyes and shoot poison spines from their purple gill-sacks!"). I feel that a sense of familiarity and association is a powerful thing, and may be used to heighten a player's emotional experience in the game. If something can be tied into existing imagery (even if only subtly so) and be enhanced by or play off of pre-existing feelings and conceptions within the player, why throw away that extra bit of power at your disposal? In any case, we've tried to make these sundry little details and oddities pervade nearly every aspect of the game and setting (e.g. slightly altered monster stereotypes or player character racial characteristics)."

Chris Avellone on Dullsville: Eternity: "It's fantasy with its own voice. Josh Sawyer has been leading the charge with the world and race creation—at first glance, players will recognize archetypes and seemingly-familiar landscapes, but often, we just use that as a means to draw you in and let you begin to see the subtleties and differences. Our first goal with the world creation was to make a world that's fun to explore first, and then construct the lore, factions, and conflicts around that."

Same shit, slightly different packaging, that's our Fergie. M:

Stinger

Arcane
In Dullsville: Eternity you play the role of a watcher, cursed to do... something.

MotB is Dragon Age shit.

Torment is Dragon Age shit.

Arcanum is Dragon Age shit.

"It's fantasy with its own voice. Josh Sawyer has been leading the charge with the world and race creation—at first glance, players will recognize archetypes and seemingly-familiar landscapes, but often, we just use that as a means to draw you in and let you begin to see the subtleties and differences. Our first goal with the world creation was to make a world that's fun to explore first, and then construct the lore, factions, and conflicts around that."

Therefore Eternity is Dragon Age shit.

Same shit, same shitty packaging, that's our Roguey. M:

Wise Emperor

Arcane
I hope that today they will make some update, with first stretch goals announced and write more about features of the game. Its Obsidian and we know that they wont fuck it up, but details about project are rather scarce for the moment.

Stinger

Arcane
(Even more) On the upside: Josh Sawyer hates romances, even made Bioware writer Patrick Weekes cry like a baby over it.
This on the other hand made me laugh pretty hard.

I thought Weekes was supposed to be one of the more level headed devs in Bioware...guess not.

I hope that today they will make some update, with first stretch goals announced and write more about features of the game. Its Obsidian and we know that they wont fuck it up, but details about project are rather scarce for the moment.

Yes, otherwise they will fuck up the pledging momentum, and I don't want that...

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Oh my, "actual adult relationship" he says to qualify his own games.

You can't blame a Bioware writer to know jack shit about adult relationships, considering they work in an all male environment. They probably think

"If on my first day at work there was girls around here, they would all indicate sexual availability and orientation at the very first conversation I have with them.".

We should be all quite sad for Bioware. They're closeted virgins.

Shadenuat

Arcane
:lol: Holy shit, that is some exquisite butthurt. Thanks for the link.

Whole thing looks like a try to turn guy to the Dark Side: "You think you are making LIKE ART? You are doing the same escapist shit everyone else is doing! Don't think you are better than us!"

Cosmo

Arcane
Shitty Patrick Weekes managing to reveal himself as both an asshole and a pussy, just priceless ! :lol:

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I imagine Obsidian already have an idea what type of system they want for the game, but this poll is important nonetheless I think: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/59957-what-type-of-game-system/

What kind of system would you like this game to have?

1. A system like SPECIAL
  2. A system like AD+D
  3. A system similar to Elder Scrolls or Final Fantasy II

It's a pitched battle between AD&D and SPECIAL now. Every vote counts.
Come on bros, VOTE SPECIAL!:mob:

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Why, that's just some random dude's own poll, not anything official. I bet Obsidian already has all of that fundamental stuff figured out.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Fuck that, an Infinity Engine homage needs a more D&D-like system.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
That whole RPGwatch thread is priceless. The amount of ass-kissing Weekes got after his butthurt reaction, was massive. :lol:

Jashiin

Arcane
How is this like TORN?
In Torn, the player assumed the role of a wanderer, who was cursed to bring misfortune to people and places around it.

Torn was to use a modified version of the SPECIAL system; combat occurred in quasi-real-time, rather than strictly being turn-based.

Torn was to allow the player direct control over only the protagonist character. However, up to five artificial intelligence-controlled "companions" could be hired at once, and would have replaced a conventional adventuring party. Companions would have interacted with one another, obligating the player to find companions who worked well together
While these features were publicized, Feargus Urquhart later stated that "even at the end of our work on Torn, we were still considering going back to a system that gave players direct, full control over the party members".

David Maldonado on TORN's setting: "The primary idea was to create a high-fantasy world (a prerequisite from day one - it's by far the most popular CRPG setting, despite the raucous cries of slightly jaded developers, reviewers, and some long-time gamers... sorry, guys) that began with a concept simple enough for everyone to get their head around. Then it was a matter of plent-o' twists, "tweaks for coolness," unique takes and variants on some old familiar standards, and BOOM : the World of Torn. In nearly all aspects of the world we've strived to create something familiar, yet different. I wanted there to be intriguing details and story for those interested in such, answers to those many questions so often ignored in other settings (e.g. "where the heck do all these orcs come from, and why are they all so angry?!"), background and reasons that made sense and were entertaining to discover and learn about... but most of all, I wanted Torn to be enthralling without having to be totally alien ("In Torn, dwarves live underwater and have tentacles and four eyes and shoot poison spines from their purple gill-sacks!"). I feel that a sense of familiarity and association is a powerful thing, and may be used to heighten a player's emotional experience in the game. If something can be tied into existing imagery (even if only subtly so) and be enhanced by or play off of pre-existing feelings and conceptions within the player, why throw away that extra bit of power at your disposal? In any case, we've tried to make these sundry little details and oddities pervade nearly every aspect of the game and setting (e.g. slightly altered monster stereotypes or player character racial characteristics)."

Chris Avellone on Dullsville: Eternity: "It's fantasy with its own voice. Josh Sawyer has been leading the charge with the world and race creation—at first glance, players will recognize archetypes and seemingly-familiar landscapes, but often, we just use that as a means to draw you in and let you begin to see the subtleties and differences. Our first goal with the world creation was to make a world that's fun to explore first, and then construct the lore, factions, and conflicts around that."

I was wondering who would be first on my ignore list :love:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Stinger, Stinger, Stinger. You can't just take elements out of context like that. Think of the whole.

MotB is Dragon Age shit.
But it doesn't take place in Western Europelandia.

Torment is Dragon Age shit.
See above.

Arcanum is Dragon Age shit.
Has a turn-based option. Near the end they pull a "Joke's on you, there's no real prophecy and you're not the chosen one!" gag. I didn't like the setting to this one either, especially since the systems weren't harmonious with the setting when it came to tech versus magic.

Therefore Eternity is Dragon Age shit.
Actually yes, I did call it a low-budget Dragon Age in the news thread. Dragon Age Origins minus cutscenes, full voice acting, 3D environments, and juvenile attempts at pandering and plus more exploration, beautiful backgrounds, and (probably) mature, consistent themes.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Isn't Rashemen also inspired by Slavic mythology? Or is it just Minsc's accent.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
I imagine Obsidian already have an idea what type of system they want for the game, but this poll is important nonetheless I think: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/59957-what-type-of-game-system/

What kind of system would you like this game to have?

1. A system like SPECIAL
  2. A system like AD+D
  3. A system similar to Elder Scrolls or Final Fantasy II

It's a pitched battle between AD&D and SPECIAL now. Every vote counts.
Come on bros, VOTE SPECIAL!:mob:
why? special sucks.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Slav-shit is eastern Europelandia which isn't as done-to-death. I edited to clarify, my apologies for not thinking of it sooner.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom