Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

I_am_Ian

Arbiter
Patron
The further you stray from old school CRPG values (turn-based, full party construction) the more modern retarded gamers you will attract. I can already tell this forum will be overrun with them. Even worse than Wasteland 2.

Keep fighting the good fight, brothers. Godspeed.

kaizoku

Arcane
Sometimes I wonder if those posters are being real, or if they know it instead that those type of comments are a way to get back at the Codex.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Stretch goals thread (important): http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/59965-stretch-goals/

Lots of retards asking for full voice acting stretch goal in there

Sound takes up a lot of memory. However the Infinity Engine games did have voice acting as said it was for the main characters and it does add immersion to the game. Modern games are using it more and more. The recording would be done towards the end of development. Eliminating voice acting would be going backwards and not forwards. I am sure the developers will come up with an acceptable balance.

The most important thing is to have a stable, bug free game which will not overload computers.

I would love to have 100% VO. I think that it makes a big difference in helping the player suspend disbelief and become fully immersed in the narrative. Games are an audio/ visual medium, which require the player to take direct control of an avatar in a simulated world where all of the sensory data is pre-produced by the developer. This arrangement functions best when the game world's basic mechanics replicate our expectations- we see and hear as we would in the real world. If you have a 3D world with sound effects etc which comply with this approach, but render dialogue as text, the result is a jarring subversion of expectations. This is why I don't think the book analogy is particularly helpful, since that medium expects almost all sensory experience to be generated internally by the reader.

That would have been a valid argument if the whole world doesn't freeze while the voice actors speak their parts, like it did in Oblivion.
Or did games like Dragon Age and Mass Effect actually move past that obstacle?

Shadenuat

Arcane
I like it when VO is an icing on the cake - hire few great actors and make them do some lines for spicing things up, like greetings or antagonist's monologue. Arcanum just excelled at this, with it's VO instantly turning Bate's story, Joachim's meeting, Dwarf King's monologue, Nasreddin's speech or Kerghan encounter from just great to memorable forever. Hope Eternity would go that way, with a lot of text for everything else.

XenomorphII

Prophet
In before fully voiced tranny romance option (voiced by SMA of course, gotta be authentic)!

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
:bounce:
Clipboard01_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

And in the comments:

Josh Sawyer RULEZ ^^
KapitaenK 5 minutes ago

Brother None
There's our old friend who went nuts on the W2 forums. Glad to see he's found peace.

EDIT:

Yeah, It has been confirmed by Chris that this game won't have soulless PCs. Obsidian knows what is better. ^^
KapitaenK in reply to Melnorme (Show the comment) 3 minutes ago

They sure do buddy, they sure do. :hero:

Gerrard

Arcane

Multi-headed Cow

Thanks for linking that RPG Watch post. That was fucking hilarious.

:excellent:

And in the Sawyer singing video:
Now get MCA to do a striptease as a stretch goal (no homo)

Gobythebear 1 hour ago 21

Aldebaran

Erudite
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
That Patrick Weekes thread...

Now I understand. I understand the horror one must feel when they are exiled to the Watch, as their bodies shatter through the ceiling of prestige and bellow like thunder into that bottomless harrow. While they may return, they will never be the same.

At any rate, I am not too worried about Obsidian going ultra PC with this game: New Vegas handled it quite well. I didn't even realize Arcade Gannon was gay until he mentioned it. And as far as I know he won't try to rape you unless mods are installed. Felicia Day Insert was another story, but I figure that wasn't entirely Obsidian's fault. Now that I think about it, the possible companions in New Vegas were a cyborg dog, a lesbian, a gay guy, a Mexican ghoul, a granny who was turned genderless, a bisexually leaning hard-drinker, and the PTSD ranger. It was pretty damn "inclusive".

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
FYI, Volourn is being stupid on the forum now. :MToo BSB to quote though

EDIT: :lol: This one qualifies http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/60019-pls-dont-stop-pledging/
Volourn said:
I will only pledge if I find out dwarves are in the game. My plan is to pledge in the $140 category but dwarves must be in or no dice. I'm 100% serious about his too as shown in my dwarves thread. Outside of the DA series, there's been a real lack of good and fun games with playable dwarves in them.

Stinger

Arcane
Is that really Volourn?

I think there's only 1 spelling mistake in there....

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom