Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Commander Xbox

Learned
I said this in the other thread but listening to a group of people (especially freaks on the internet) is really going to compromise game quality. You have a thousand voices each with their own agenda and retarded ideas they would like shoehorned into your game screaming at you from every direction, and a lot of them are so loud it seems like everyone wants them, then you end up with a compromised piece of trash that caters to everything. Obsidian has a vision, they should stick to it and say fuck all the rest, its a bad sign that they are even asking for advice and seriously interacting with forums in the first place.

a camel is a horse designed by commitee

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Commander Xbox
This has all been said already with regards to Wasteland 2, a game that is relying on fan input to a far greater degree than this one. Nothing too bad has happened yet. I wouldn't worry.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
You guys are taking the "stretch goals" way too literally. The game doesn't have a design yet. It's not like they have a solid plan and they're modifying it based on how much money they get. It's just a way to keep that money counter rising.
Yeah. I mean One More Companion. Okay... uh... so how many are there initially?
These stretch goals don't really tell me much unless I know what's there already.

That said, more funding = more stuff. More stuff is positive, regardless.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
I said this in the other thread but listening to a group of people (especially freaks on the internet) is really going to compromise game quality. You have a thousand voices each with their own agenda and retarded ideas they would like shoehorned into your game screaming at you from every direction, and a lot of them are so loud it seems like everyone wants them, then you end up with a compromised piece of trash that caters to everything. Obsidian has a vision, they should stick to it and say fuck all the rest, its a bad sign that they are even asking for advice and seriously interacting with forums in the first place.

Don't worry about it. They'll pull a Fargo and give people the illusion of input.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer

There is a difference between taking fan feedback into account and design by committee.

Weierstraß

Learned
Project: Eternity
I really hope there are romances, and that they all end in the most tragic way possible. I want to see the Bioware fans cry while their love interests are eaten by their own pet crocodiles.

Grimlorn

Arcane
The problem is developers shouldn't really listen to any of their fan feedback. It's awful. Bioware do this and look how crappy their games are. I haven't really been on the Bethesda forums but I'm guessing that's the reason for Hearthfire DLC, which also led to that stupid house kickstarter stretch goal for Eternity.

All the best RPGs had no feedback and developers were on their own. So it makes almost no sense to me that they would all of a sudden need to listen to all their fans to make a great RPG. They should just do their own thing. These people don't know what they want and don't know how to design a good game so forget them.

Nigro

Educated
lol banned from forums for not being PC and feminist.

Game is doomed
Link? I want to observe and explain to you why you're a useless ignorant cumstain.

The post got deleted but it was about how women warriors are not equal to male ones because some feminist was arguing about that and some people replied how that was absurd.

And it's a big thread where people are arguing back and forth between men vs. women.

My bad I don't accept Jewish multiculturalism

I agree man, it's just like hollywood, they put some strong and unrealistic female characters for the girl viewers, and some men enjoy it too I guess. For me it ruins many films.

Maybe female and male will have at least some attributes differences, like males having more strength and constitution, and women having more charisma, for instance, that would make more sense.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Please name all those CRPGS that have better combat than the Gold Box game, Baldur's Gates, Icewind Dales, ToEE and Knights of the Chalice.

Since I specifically referred to RTwP DnD implementations as a horrible clusterfuck, I have crossed out the turn based ones, leaving us with the infinity engine games.
I would favour Arcanum's turn based combat over that any day of the week!

As for the Infinity Engine games as a whole, the only one I've ever finished was Planescape Torment, and I think we can all agree that the game is balanced in your favour to the extent that combat is largely irrelevant.
For the others, for this I mean BG1, BG2 and IWD2 (haven't attempted the first), I have tried to make my way through them many, many times over the last 10 years and every single time I just abandon my playthrough midway through chapter 1 or early chapter 2; I just cannot tolerate it any more, for me it completely ruins the game, far more so than Arcanum's TB/RT combination ever did.

In a nutshell, the infinity engine games are why I side with those who consider RTwP an abomination, a ill-conceived compromise between TB and RT that satisfies neither faction and completely ruins the game if combat is a prominent factor.
But, Eternity isn't DnD shoehorned into RTwP, but their own system based around RTwP.
I'm disappointed all the same, but I'm at least somewhat optimistic that a system explicitly designed around RTwP will result in something that's at least enjoyable.

Grimlorn

Arcane
I really hope there are romances, and that they all end in the most tragic way possible. I want to see the Bioware fans cry while their love interests are eaten by their own pet crocodiles.
I'd rather there be a romance and right at the end of the game when you're about to face the final boss your love interest stabs you in the back killing you and joining the boss. Then all saves under that character become corrupted and you have to start over. It's the only way they'll learn.

Multi-headed Cow

The player house is kind of GAY, but whatever. The rest look fine.
Only way I'd really like a player house in a party based tactical RPG like this is if it was like the planar sphere in BG2 and/or the keep in NWN2, only with more oomph. A base of operations for the party that can be improved and can kick off its own quests/is involved in your overarching goal. Typically in this style of game you're a roving band of adventurers, and having a house go to back to doesn't make much sense unless it's related to your adventures somehow.

Unfortunately since this is listed as a stretch goal it probably wouldn't be implemented well. If it's just a place for party members to sit at when they're not in use and a place to store your crap, whoopty doo. It's not even like a Bethesda RPG where you can LARP and make a pile of gems to roll around in and molest your party members with sex mods.

But whatever, it's Obsidian. I'll probably like it. I've yet to completely dislike a game they've made. Even if KotOR2 had distressingly unbalanced combat and a rushed conclusion, and even if Dungeon Siege 3 was Dungeon Siege 3, and even if NWN2's camera and interface were infuriating, and even if Alpha Protocol had horrible AI and the one of the minigames controls horribly on PC and it has some weird save bugs for me. Fallout New Vegas was better than I could've hoped so I'll hope for another one of those! :bounce:

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
I canceled my pledge after reading the stretch goals. I'm not normally a hater (as the kids say) but the stink of bioware is all over this project.

1) Only 5 companions. That means you need to take them all with you if you have a 6 person party. Worked in PS:T but that was a RPG unlike any other.
2) Only 5 classes. Unless there are 'kits' like BG this limits the diversity of the party and NPCs. Best option is like Diablo with skill paths to differentiate the players. Oh joy.
3) They are not even man enough to call it a stronghold. They call it a house. Maybe we can have tea parties there.
4) They say companions can stay relax at said house. This implies a crappy 'camp' mechanic, small party sizes and shitty everyone gets XP even if they are not in the active party.
5) The whole soul crap is gong to be incredible gay (no offense Jaeson). Without knowing anything about it besides it having something to do with the magic system I can tell it's going to be a forced construct.
6) The magic system is going to be stupid. You see it involves souls!

Right now I'm afraid they think the IE games just means isometric perceptive. Jesus have they even confirmed it will have painted 2D background? I really hope I'm wrong but right now this is not the BG/IWD/PS:T we were promised.

And if anyone says that I am just guessing right now you are correct. I would loooooove for Obsidian to actually tell us what they are planning. Am I completely wrong? Am I right? It's not like it's some sort of state secret. The W2 Kickstarter was about 100% better at communicating what they were trying to build. Obsidian seems like they are playing those of us who want another IE experience.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Linux version support. From Obsidian.

vg0tgw.jpg

Stinger

Arcane
paco unfortunately the Obsidian forums aren't the codex. By which I mean, no one will listen to you if your topic is that combative.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
I know but I'm slightly drunk and a little pissed off at the direction this is going. And I was too lazy to craft a family friendly version. And hell Volly is over there defending later day Bioware. That will get anyone going.

I'm sure they will announce something that will quell the terrible rage within me and i will give them my $65 for a boxed game before this is over. But this is sure as hell no W2 project.

Multi-headed Cow

1) Only 5 companions. That means you need to take them all with you if you have a 6 person party. Worked in PS:T but that was a RPG unlike any other.
I'm a bit indifferent on your other concerns (Either because I already agree with you or I think there isn't enough info to be concerned), but this is a really good point. They didn't mention party size, so either it'll be small (Something like the Bioware-standard PC and two companions at once) or like you said you'll be taking everyone/most everyone with you. When I heard isometric party RPG I figured it was going to be a relatively large party, but 5 companions gives me second thoughts.
Probably not enough to get me to pull my money like you, but that is kind of a letdown.

Actually, fuck. I just looked at their Kickstarter page again and they don't even mention isometric, not sure how I was adding that. They just say real time with pause and party. IT'S GOING TO BE DRAGON AGE 2. EVERY PARTY MEMBER WILL BE FUCKABLE FOR ALL GENDERS. ABANDON SHIP, ABANDON SHIP!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom