Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Actually, fuck. I just looked at their Kickstarter page again and they don't even mention isometric, not sure how I was adding that. They just say real time with pause and party. IT'S GOING TO BE DRAGON AGE 2. EVERY PARTY MEMBER WILL BE FUCKABLE FOR ALL GENDERS. ABANDON SHIP, ABANDON SHIP!

I'm almost positive they were talking about a fixed isometric perceptive in the video.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I'm not sure how you would do 2D backgrounds, party-based gameplay without an isometric perspective.

If it's any consolation, Brian Fargo told us it would indeed be isometric over a week ago. The Kickstarter page doesn't provide all the details that have been released.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm guessing the game is going be very heavy on the story faggotry, so letting you have every possible companion in your party like PS:T makes sense. I would guess that they would all be woven into the story, and not just side shows like BG1/2. If my guesses are right, this would also imply that the game is beatable with less than a full party, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Comrade Goby

Magister
Project: Eternity
Every post I make there has to have moderation approval because I was being too insensitive and intolerant.

Goddamn the Imperial Fascists need to come into power soon.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
The more I read peoples suggestions on the Obsidian boards the more I wish it was just a Dungeon Siege 4 reveal.

Grimlorn

Arcane
No they didn't say that. It's just some moron that thinks that all the people who donated can do the voice work for free. Of course he's not taking into account getting all those people to the same studio and paying studio fees, etc.

Grimlorn

Arcane
1) Only 5 companions. That means you need to take them all with you if you have a 6 person party. Worked in PS:T but that was a RPG unlike any other.
I'm a bit indifferent on your other concerns (Either because I already agree with you or I think there isn't enough info to be concerned), but this is a really good point. They didn't mention party size, so either it'll be small (Something like the Bioware-standard PC and two companions at once) or like you said you'll be taking everyone/most everyone with you. When I heard isometric party RPG I figured it was going to be a relatively large party, but 5 companions gives me second thoughts.
Probably not enough to get me to pull my money like you, but that is kind of a letdown.

Actually, fuck. I just looked at their Kickstarter page again and they don't even mention isometric, not sure how I was adding that. They just say real time with pause and party. IT'S GOING TO BE DRAGON AGE 2. EVERY PARTY MEMBER WILL BE FUCKABLE FOR ALL GENDERS. ABANDON SHIP, ABANDON SHIP!
It mentions Isometric right below the kickstarter video.

Nigro

Educated
wtf why are they censoring man :/

I know. It's what happens when feminism is allowed to exist.

Just remember to join the IF party and fight the good fight
Probably very few women play the game compared to the male numbers anyway, dunno why they worry about the female public...

edit: yeah I just received a warning through PM from a MOD, well at least he was a cool guy and didn`t ban me haha

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
If we fund it, we should decide whether it should be DRM or not.
It's not their money to protect.

It's not our money either. This isn't equity funding, nobody becomes an owner or producer of the game. You donate, and then it's up to them to decide what to do with the money. With promises as vague as theirs are, it's all based on trust.

They're certainly not obliged to go DRM-free. I think people underestimate how scary piracy is, even moreso for a project like this. Piracy pretty much killed Arcanum, IIRC.
BN, but it is our money. Without us donating, Project Eternity wouldn't become reality. In the classic publishing paradigm, there is the risk for the developer/publisher of not breaking even, and that may be because piracy or because something else and piracy being used as an excuse. In the Kickstarter paradigm, there is no chance of them not breaking even because they get the funding they need BEFORE they create the game. The fact that we, as donors, don't get a part of the profits, as it would happen if we were investors instead of donors, makes it even more advantageous for the developers. All this being said, the developers using DRM under these circumstances is just a big "fuck you" directed at us. In this case, they can count on a lot of people donating based on their reputation alone, with not enough people paying attention to the DRM aspect. However, you have to take into account that a lot of people donated and sent them questions about DRM-free versions in the hope that there will be such a thing announced at a later date. If they don't come to their senses, maybe these people will withdraw their pledges towards the end. Let's see how they like them DRM apples then.

made

Arcane
It will be Dragon Age - with fixed camera and better writing. And probably some mechanics considered too controversial for the mainstream (think spirit eater). That's why Biodrones are all over it. That's why it got funded so quickly.

It's delusional to expect anything more.

Stinger

Arcane
Infinitron how long did it take for the Wasteland forums to settle down?

The retardness in the Obsidian forums is ridiculous.

Shiki

Learned
It's not our money either. This isn't equity funding, nobody becomes an owner or producer of the game. You donate, and then it's up to them to decide what to do with the money. With promises as vague as theirs are, it's all based on trust.

They're certainly not obliged to go DRM-free. I think people underestimate how scary piracy is, even moreso for a project like this. Piracy pretty much killed Arcanum, IIRC.

Piracy killed Arcanum, really ? I thought it was the ugliness, bugs/engine, "bad" reviews in mainstream publications..
Don't take me wrong, I love Arcanum despite its few flaws. I can get past them because I care more about the dialogue/story/characters/world. I don't think most people can. Most gamers I know around me wouldn't have given a single thought about playing a game as ugly as Arcanum.
Like it or not, but there is a reason why a game like Baldur's Gate 2 in its time was considered a HIT and Arcanum a miss and it's not piracy. In fact, none of Troïka's games succeeded in the market, for various reasons, with each games flaws unrelated to the other apart from the common thread of releasing rather buggy games, with their last being the worst in the bug dept. (And holy mother of god, how dog slow it was to boot. VTMB on the average computer of its time was one of the worst pain in the ass I ever had every time I loaded a new area. Fuck.)

Troika games are like an acquired taste. You have to suffer a bit to get to the good stuff.

Multi-headed Cow

It mentions Isometric right below the kickstarter video.
Oh, so it does. I guess I glazed over that figuring it was pointless and was looking at the meat of the page. Still worrisome about the 5 companions and such but there's this at least.

And I wouldn't be too worried about an all-tranny party. This isn't Bioware we're talking about. As mentioned by someone else in this thread (Forget who) FNV was full of gay and they didn't once try to jump your bones! Everything Bioware told me was wrong!

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It will be Dragon Age - with fixed camera and better writing. And probably some mechanics considered too controversial for the mainstream (think spirit eater). That's why Biodrones are all over it. That's why it got funded so quickly.

So, dragon age with better writing, mechanics, and camera.

This is bad somehow?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
1) Only 5 companions. That means you need to take them all with you if you have a 6 person party. Worked in PS:T but that was a RPG unlike any other.
2) Only 5 classes. Unless there are 'kits' like BG this limits the diversity of the party and NPCs. Best option is like Diablo with skill paths to differentiate the players. Oh joy.
3) They are not even man enough to call it a stronghold. They call it a house. Maybe we can have tea parties there.

I had the exact same concerns when I read the stretch goals. The 5 companions shtick actually made me go "what the fuck". And for point 3, how does it even make sense to make it a stretch goal? Lul need 200k dorra for The Sims DLC? The hell?

Executer

Phrenologist
Project: Eternity

So, dragon age with better writing, mechanics, and camera.

This is bad somehow?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

If it's Obsidians Dragon Age, It'll be Dragon Age with better writing and camera, the mechanics may or may not be better (personally i haven't played an Obs game with what i thought was great combat).

I know Dragon Age was Codex game of the year :codexisfor: but I thought it was mediocre, so a little better than that isn't exciting to me and a few other people I guess.

Malpercio

Arcane
I thought what killed Arcanum was the fact that it was really a bad game with an atrocious gameplay.

OK that does it, pledge withdrawn. It's fucking BioDrone Central

Obsidian specifically stated they are hiring these people?

It's like some people here intentionally want this game to fail. Seriously guys. I couldn't give a fuck if Biodrones get interested in the game as long:

- MCA and the others don't get influenced by them (and they won't)
- They bring more money into the project which means more stuffs for us.

Disappointing turn of events... But I guess I'll wait and see... Hope some of you bros fight the good fight on their forums.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom