Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
They going to have another update today or wait for the weekend?

Raygun_elf

Educated
Anyone else who doesn't want the megadungeon? I just know it's gonna be full of either trash mobs or hp bloated "challenge".
Actually the dungeon is ONLY for those who want to enjoy Hack and slash. As far as I understand it will be optional and I like that. I hope it will not disturb the balance in the game (it might).
Hack and slash is a style of combat when you have to hit an action key every time you want your character to make an attack, not really applicable to games with auto-attack.

Captain Shrek

Anyone else who doesn't want the megadungeon? I just know it's gonna be full of either trash mobs or hp bloated "challenge".
Actually the dungeon is ONLY for those who want to enjoy Hack and slash. As far as I understand it will be optional and I like that. I hope it will not disturb the balance in the game (it might).
Hack and slash is a style of combat when you have to hit an action key every time you want your character to make an attack, not really applicable to games with auto-attack.

Why thank you miss. I would have never guessed.

Raygun_elf

Educated

That's cool

Captain Shrek

That's cool

:roll:

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Looked at the article closer and holy shit that editor looks like a kid, is he fifteen or what? No wonder gaming journalism is in the toilet nowdays.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I know right, just like the temple of Zehir in SoZ...

OH WAIT

I haven't gotten around to SoZ seeing how I'm still playing the NWN 2 OC, Icewind Dale and the odd Torchlight 2 round at the same time, but level and encounter design hasn't exactly been Obsidian's strong point in any of their games that I've played.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
NWN 2 (original campaign, only at Old Owl Well so far) has really terrible encounter design I'm afraid. It plays like an MMORPG: trash fight x1000, boss. And it's not really the fun, resource-draining kind of trash fights either, it's just repetitive speed-bumps that were copy-pasted. I just went through some docks, a warehouse and a noble's house and basically each of those featured one single encounter that was copy-pasted a few dozen times.

Noble's house: oh wow, another group of 7 stealthy thugs. And another. And another.
Warehouse + docks: oh wow, another group of a few melee, a few caster and a few archer thugs. And another. And another...

Now I'm supposed to kill some orcs. Without even seeing a single orc yet I can already tell it'll be the same damn encounter pasted a hundred times in some very rectangular cave.

aVENGER

Arcane
Developer

Icewind Dale 2 had a number of party vs. party encounters which were pretty decent. Off the top of my head, the fight for the Holy Avenger sword and Saablic Tan's group at the Fields of Slaughter were particularly well designed.

IIRC, Sawyer recently said that he wants to have something similar in Project Eternity.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
2.8 million on the Kickstarter.

If it hits 3 million with 24 hours or more to spare, there's a good chance of coming close to the 3.5 million mark at the end. Maybe even reaching it with Paypal.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
http://www.1up.com/features/interview-chris-avellone-project-eternity

According to this interview, this is "Project Eternity concept art":

850.jpg

and this is a screenshot from "Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition":

853.jpg

:facepalm:

:lol:

the second screen is from Dark Alliance II, the first one looks familiar, but I can't place it...

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Aaah you beat me to it; I was gonna say Ammon Jerro but when I tried to confirm it in Google images I couldn't find it there so I wanted to look for it a bit longer.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Ah, yes. Thanks. I think I've intentionally forgotten everything concerning NWN2OC.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom