Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

meanwhile THIS guy got his official invitation from obsidian to lurk around...

THIS guy said:
Darren from Obsidian apologized in the main comments section, and invited me back next week for a tour if I so desire. :)
Wow, I guess being a retard can pay off if it means avoiding a PR hit. :hmmm:

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Josh Sawyer said:
since tactical combat is one of the core features from IE that we're trying to emulate, we're not specifically designing the game for a pacifist run. that said, we do want to give the player many options to avoid combat, either through stealth, conversation, or the use of other skills. tim and i both want to make sure that players have a lot of options to use non-combat skills across the game. we think it adds a lot to the game.

NO RAT DIPLOMACY

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's beginning to look like Obsidian's incline is directly proportionate with Bioware and Bethesda's decline.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Anyone else who doesn't want the megadungeon? I just know it's gonna be full of either trash mobs or hp bloated "challenge".

I know right, just like the temple of Zehir in SoZ...

OH WAIT

I haven't gotten around to SoZ seeing how I'm still playing the NWN 2 OC, Icewind Dale and the odd Torchlight 2 round at the same time, but level and encounter design hasn't exactly been Obsidian's strong point in any of their games that I've played.
The Temple of Zehir sucked unless you were "stealthing" through it, in which case the novelty's only good once. The combat? Forget about it.

HE SAID HE READS RPG CODEX EVERY DAY
Hh. Adam, did you write http://twitter.com/#!/adam_brennecke/status/98213614271475712 because of the Codex? How does it feel to be wrong? How does it feel to have your wrongness immortalized unless you delete that tweet?

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Josh Sawyer said:
too early to talk about our first big city, sorry. :) but if we get the second big city funded, it will likely be very different from the first, possibly one of the vailian republics or a city on the pearl coast.

:obviously:

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Lotsa posters in the Codex raged over Diablo 3 being online-only.

I think you've been spending too much time here - vast swathes of the Internet raged over that. Why would he post that to antagonize us?

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Josh Sawyer said:
we haven't designed much of the advancement system, but it will likely feel similar to 3E/3.5 D&D. you will gain XP and advance by level, selecting new abilities/feats/spells/skills as you level up.

As Roguey says - nailed it. :smug:

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Roguey was wrong!

How long has this project been in the concept stage, prior to Kickstarter? Was it conceived to be a crowdfunded project?

prior to kickstarter, not very long -- maybe a month or so (adam may know more specifically). we conceived of it as a crowdfunded project.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Lotsa posters in the Codex raged over Diablo 3 being online-only.

I think you've been spending too much time here - vast swathes of the Internet raged over that. Why would he post that to antagonize us?
Because he reads it every day? I'm sure we weren't the only target, but certainly within it. I'm not so sure of the answer, that's why I framed it in the form of a question.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Roguey was wrong!

How long has this project been in the concept stage, prior to Kickstarter? Was it conceived to be a crowdfunded project?

prior to kickstarter, not very long -- maybe a month or so (adam may know more specifically). we conceived of it as a crowdfunded project.
Can't win' em all. Wonder why he was messing around with Unity back in May and July then:
https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/202813647595118594
https://twitter.com/jesawyer/statuses/225751798093328385

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Roguey was wrong!

Can't win' em all. Wonder why he was messing around with Unity back in May and July then:
https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/202813647595118594
https://twitter.com/jesawyer/statuses/225751798093328385

Sawyer's not a programmer so it wouldn't be for professional use anyway. Unity is very easy to use and even a complete amateur could probably make a decent hiking simulator (literally) if he took a few hours to learn the basics. I can see why he'd like it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom