Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

golgepapaz

Augur
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I can't explain how I paid 160$ especially after complaining Charles-cgr his game is too expensive for my meager wealth at 20$ . Have I become a obsidian whore?
Well, my girlfriend can feed me for a week I guess..

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I just got a statement from my bank informing me that the payment was successful, so I am now 3.500 local seashells poorer, wheeee.

Please tell me that's in rand or some other silly denomination....

It's 180 kwabucks ($140 basic tier + $20 for international shipping + $20 for the expansion).

Ahh. Well I was looking at that tier for a long time as it was the 'sweetspot' but then I figured, 'fuck it, I can't afford $160+20 anyway so I may as well not be able to afford just $100 more.'

I can't explain how I paid 160$ especially after complaining Charles-cgr his game is too expensive for my meager wealth at 20$ . Have I become a obsidian whore?

Pussy pie?

Oh crap, I just realized I forgot to add $10 for the playing cards :(
Anyone know if it's possible to that via their PayPal?

Yeah you can add whatever you like. Just scroll down the bottom on their Paypal page and there's an option in the list to put your own amount and mention what it's for.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
People criticizing no XP for killing are retards, BTW.

There are two approaches to rewarding player with character growth - goal focused and process focused.

Goal focused works best with quest heavy games with tighter, leaner world and usually involved storytelling. In such game you can assume that the main activity of player will be completing quests and achieving set goals. This approach neglects the process, in fact it doesn't track it at all, it just assumes that if the player achieved the set goal, then player has tackled the challenges barring his way somehow (regardless if it's by killing them, or sneaking, past, or diplomacy or whatever) and should be awarded generic XP (since the system has no clue how player has achieved their goal). It's simple and efficient as long as quests are the meat of the game.
Awarding additional XP for stuff like kills, lockpicking or anything else in such system is shit design, because it rewards some approaches doubly, some (creative lateral thinking using mechanics rather than pre-scripted solutions) only once (creativity is bad for you, stick to swinging your way through), while convoluted "pathological" "solutions" are rewarded great multitude of times - the more the less linear the game in question is in terms of quest solutions.
Such systems work poorly in expansive, open-ended games focused on exploration or otherwise allowing player to define their goals.

Process focused is best exemplified by use based and it works best when any goals game logic may know about are at best sparse. Replicating it with XP system, by adding XP for combat, lockpicking, diplomacy, etc. does a perfect job copying its problems, but fails to duplicate any of its advantages, like being able to track what fucking skills is your character developing. It's much heavier and more involved system, and it might be spurious for lean, goal-driven games.

Whatever your approach is, combat XP is a humongous, kludge and giant clusterfuck of derp. The only legitimate uses I can see for it are H&S games (twitchy genocide simulators) and traditional crawlers (tactical genocide simulators) due to their extremely narrow focus (killing stuff followed by killing more stuff).

If you ask yourself "what would mondblut do?" and come up with some retarded scheme involving saving and killing the same party, possibly repeatedly, or whatever, to maximize in-game gains, then the system is badly designed and DOESN'T. FUCKING. WORK.

Besides, just see what effect on Deus Ex gameplay had addition of XP for hacking and enemy kills/KOs in Human Revolution. It resulted in player grinding hacking minigame on terminals they knew passwords for and compulsively knocking out all the enemies stealthily (in pairs if possible) using awesome button to maximize XP, when ghosting by would be both sufficient and more satisfactory solution in terms of gameplay.
:martini:
Where is your combat XP god now?

QFT

golgepapaz

Augur
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2

Pussy pie?

Well Although I love the lick that love nectar, You can make a turkish girl to cook you a two course meal and bring it to your home and spoon-fed you if necessary.
They know how to take care of their man.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Haha, the common riff-raff didn't take too kindly to my message in the romance thread:
My message, and under it the replies I got:
http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/61515-romance-and-friendship/page__st__220#entry1246899

God it's like hydra, you cut one thread and another grows, one page and 14 more grow.
Why don't they all just die
die!
die!!
DIE!!!!

Yeah, and they are so fucking obnoxious, entitled and just plain idiotic. They basicly want ridiculously melodramatic relationship drama with the companions having some fucking daddy issues and all that shit.

They won't say it directly but that is basicly in between the lines.

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Oh crap, I just realized I forgot to add $10 for the playing cards :(
Anyone know if it's possible to that via their PayPal?
Go on paypal and pledge for it. And leave some message to make it easier for them to connect the kickstarter pledge and the paypal one.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron

Pussy pie?

Well Although I love the lick that love nectar, You can make a turkish girl to cook you a two course meal and bring it to your home and spoon-fed you if necessary.
They know how to take care of their man.

Heh, I know what you mean. Too bad the majority of the basement dwellers and morbid overachievers here don't. :smug:

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, and they are so fucking obnoxious, entitled and just plain idiotic. They basicly want ridiculously melodramatic relationship drama with the companions having some fucking daddy issues and all that shit.

You're just one of those "cold hearted players who hate love in videogames". They want "really really deep" romance lines - like the ones in BG2. :roll:

Mrakvampire said:
Romance lines for these characters perfectly show the development of this characters and are really really deep. Maturing of Aerie, changing of Viconia... Mmmm... oh, those dramas, banters and stuff...

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

You're just one of those "cold hearted players who hate love in videogames". They want "really really deep" romance lines - like the ones in BG2. :roll:
How deep? 10 inch? 15? 20? There are entire websites dedicated to this kind of "depth". These people should cut out the middle man and go find them.:troll:

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Haha, the common riff-raff didn't take too kindly to my message in the romance thread:
http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/61515-romance-and-friendship/page__st__220#entry1246899

God it's like hydra, you cut one thread and another grows, one page and 14 more grow.
die!
die!!
DIE!!!!

I joined you to fight the good fight.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA

Mrakvampire said:
Romance lines for these characters perfectly show the development of this characters and are really really deep. Maturing of Aerie, changing of Viconia... Mmmm... oh, those dramas, banters and stuff...

Yeeaaah, romances in BG2 were very deep derp indeed. BG2 is also very good example on how romances basicly decreased the other interaction. Romanceable characters didn't basicly have anything else to talk with the player, if you told them "Not interested", there weren't really any banter after that.

CrustyBot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012

die!
die!!
DIE!!!!

I joined you to fight the good fight.
:salute:

edit: I made one post. Don't think I'll keep fighting the good fight there, bros.

Why, you ask?

So many people hating on relationships and romances. I'd say just to ignore them, but apparently just the fact that they even exist is enough to cause ire to some. Lots of us enjoy them, and lots of us will pay for them, and the developers know that. For those "manly few" playing manly games on their manly pc's who don't need no "steenkin romances", and who really seem butthurt that others might get some enjoyment - go play diablo or some other game without a real story. Romances and relationships happen in stories, indeed they are the prime motivator in many, if not most stories, just as they are in Real Life.

With all due respects, who are you to define what my RPG experience should be? I want a BG RPG experience with Romance\Sex. Why do I need to go elsewhere

1234443297_ken_park_suicide.gif

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Project: Eternity

Ah yes, that strange phenomenon I keep seeing here and there.

But you're perfectly free to do as you please with your money, bro.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture

die!
die!!
DIE!!!!

I wake up and I see that shit thread again. For a lovable cute mascot I sure have a lot of desire to torch that entire place.

Edit: Also I just saw MCA at the end of that video. You know, it's weird that he writes the things he does. Sometimes you really can't tell what a person would be like from the works they produce.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
God bless you for being able to not give in to the burning hatred. :salute:

I don't remember if Kagain had it but as soon as you hit 20 CON (possible due to stat increases in BG 2 or due to being a dwarf in BG 1 and reading a manual of constitution) you'd regen 1 HP / round or so, and 1 more for each point of CON above 20 up to 25.

I imagine it's the same in IWD, but I don't remember if there were manuals of constitution in that game.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
It's not popamole; it's next to impossible to get 20 CON and by the time you do you really don't need it because enemies are doing a _lot_ more damage than it could possibly help you with. (Yeah yeah, you're just using the term jokingly. But the romance thread is making me snappy.)

It's a fun little perk that's neat-o in the off-chance you made a dwarf with 19 CON in BG 1- and then you still have to find the manual. It's handy if you solo, though, because it saves you a tiny bit of time.

catfood

AGAIN
That thread would make me rage so hard if I gave a fuck either way.

Though I admit Obsidian would get some ++respect points with me if all the romances (asuming there are any) end up in the PC getting LJBF'ded. The tears and lamentation on their forums would be glorious to behold.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom