Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

SwiftCrack

Arcane
http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/61640-lets-talk-about-easter-eggs/page__st__40#entry1246981

I logged into that stream for five minutes. I read IRC messages galore of pathetic adolescents throwing unwarranted sexually inappropriate comments towards all female Obsidian employees (visible, of course, for everybody in that room and all the 1450+ people logged on to the stream), with practically no-one speaking out against that, I saw a bunch of people sitting around on couches and not doing much and I saw people downing shots of (presumably) hard liquor (accompagnied by shouts of encouragment by the rest of the staff) in front of small children.

It was one of the most depressing things I've seen on the internet so far. If anything, it decreased my respect for the people at Obisidian and vastly decreased my respect for its fanbase.

:retarded:

7.jpg

Why am I even reading that forum..

That's so Codexian :lol:.

grotsnik

Arcane
As soon as the female employees of Obsidian were visible in the webcam, the chat exploded with sexist remarks. "Green Shirt" was apparently the favorite of most male virgins. But Obsidian handled it well and everyone seemed to have fun nevertheless.
All of the people commenting on that lass yesterday are male virgins and sexists, you heard it right there bros.

I think it's certainly a more likely assumption than the alternative; that dozens of muscled investment bankers, still aching from passionate loving sex with their nubile doctor wives, simultaneously sat down at their laptops cradling their beloved firstborn children in their beefy arms and began a shrill cloying campaign to get some kind of reaction out of a blurry woman stood at the back of a room on the internet.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
I'm disappoint, no one took my bait with war veterans, should I repost it, gents?

piydek

Cipher
Fuck it. I tried bros on the Obsidian forums, but it's like driving nails into one's own head. Those freaks are just too much, too blind, too indoctrinated, too fucking fucked.

The tactic I'll be using is stating what i think about an issue with strong argumentation and then NOT reading the replies. If there's enough people making sane comments it MIGHT somewhat change the terrain. That's the only way to keep one's sanity. And discussing with retards is pointless.

Shevek

Arcane
J.E. Sawyer, on 15 October 2012 - 10:06 PM, said: I have to say I honestly did not expect this to be confusing to anyone. Here's an example. Bob the Fighter has 32 Stamina and 30 Health. He gets hit by a number of attacks that subtract 25 Stamina and 5 health (leaving him with 8 Stamina and 25 Health). He is a fighter, so he chooses to use one of his abilities to regenerate Stamina. He does this and quickly bounces from 8 Stamina to 15. Unfortunately, he gets smacked again for 20 Stamina and 4 Health. He is knocked out (effectively 0 Stamina) and at 21 Health. The guys who knocked him out move to other targets.

Francine the priest casts restore stamina on Bob when combat is over. He recovers to full Stamina quickly, but is still at 21 Health. Depending on how the next few fights go, they will either have to retreat to rest or find a safe resting spot up ahead.

I think the key here is that "Health" does not regenerate (just "Stamina"). They also said that spells do not heal Health. Honestly, this could work out fairly well if they can minimize rest abuse (this is key). In the IE games, you could get to max everything by spamming rest and you could stay at high health with smart potion/spell use. It sounds like in PE, you have to carefully manage two health pools. This could be interesting.

Snerf

Learned
Actually an INT of 1 should be required to have any romances in the game.

And to initiate all romances your character has to walk up to a target and start petting his/her hair while making out with the back of his own hand.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I agree with this. Everything that happened there was ok-ish(the green shirt girl thing was retarded though), but the children shouldn't have been there. WTF was Feargus thinking?

Anyway, MCA was a god. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
:love:
I didn't really mind, but that might be because my parents have often taken me with them to various parties.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/61640-lets-talk-about-easter-eggs/page__st__20#entry1246867

As soon as the female employees of Obsidian were visible in the webcam, the chat exploded with sexist remarks. "Green Shirt" was apparently the favorite of most male virgins. But Obsidian handled it well and everyone seemed to have fun nevertheless.

All of the people commenting on that lass yesterday are male virgins and sexists, you heard it right there bros.
Yeah, that's unfair, it's perfectly well-adjusted behaviour to start slavouring and clamouring everywhere as soon as you see a hint of a living creature that's vaguely female-shaped.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/61640-lets-talk-about-easter-eggs/page__st__20#entry1246867

Yeah, that's unfair, it's perfectly well-adjusted behaviour to start slavouring and clamouring everywhere as soon as you see a hint of a living creature that's vaguely female-shaped.

So it's already verboten to just say "hey that girl looks nice" nowadays? Good to know. It's even more funny since Sawyer was the only one there in the room who didn't like that they were simply having a bit fun lightheartedly joking about that green shirt stuff. She even seemed to enjoy it and laughed about it. But it seems it's not politically correct. :(

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I never really got the obsession on either side with romances in games. Those giant, self-multiplying threads that pop up on all the RPG forums make me scoff more than they make me rage.

Romances are a tertiary feature that probably need to be both a primary feature and tragic in order to be any 'good' from a literary point of view (PS:T came the closest), and that obviously is not going to happen. I don't think there's anything wrong really with the idea of romances in RPGs, since being able to play your character the way you want and interact with NPCs in the way you want (even if it's pathetic and needy) is a big part of any RPG, but I do agree with Sawyer that most of its incarnations up until now have been, for lack of a better word, kind of creepy.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Obsidian boards and the secret of the vanishing posts.

Just another example of scurvy moderatorship. Jasede's post was completely fair, and I can't see how it was more offending that something like "world is about love => romances, if you don't understand that, you're a basemenet dweller virgin".

kris

Arcane
I never really got the obsession on either side with romances in games. Those giant, self-multiplying threads that pop up on all the RPG forums make me scoff more than they make me rage.

It could be argued that there is a big untapped western market for well-made dating games or romance games or something. I know the Japs have plenty, but those are aimed at a Japanese market and only a part of the western market would like those. If people are satisfied by these short and often silly little romances in Bioware games, then it shouldn't be to hard.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2

So it's already verboten to just say "hey that girl looks nice" nowadays? Good to know. It's even more funny since Sawyer was the only one there in the room who didn't like that they were simply having a bit fun lightheartedly joking about that green shirt stuff. She even seemed to enjoy it and laughed about it. But it seems it's not politically correct. :(
I wasn't watching the stream, but if most of the comments were that innocent I'd be pleasantly surprised. But hey, maybe anonymous internet kids did magically turn into polite, boundary-respecting gentlemen overnight. Presumption of innocence and all that.

titus

Arcane
Patron

Not necessarily.
Saying "hey that girl looks nice" between bros is alright. Saying it online, where all the people can see it, and when the person in cause may not like it, is not. Ignore the fact that the girl didn't seem bothered by this. She may have had a problem, she may have been retarded, it's irrelevant.
Plus the fact that it wasn't the place for that. They were there to celebrate the success of the campaign, not their hot female employees. I suspect that was the thing that bothered Sawyer the most.
Plus that the comments weren't only "hey that girl looks nice". That's nothing.

And for the record, the girl in the blue shirt was way hotter ;)

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Obsidian boards and the secret of the vanishing posts.
And it was a pretty civil post too.

It could be argued that there is a big untapped western market for well-made dating games or romance games or something. I know the Japs have plenty, but those are aimed at a Japanese market and only a part of the western market would like those. If people are satisfied by these short and often silly little romances in Bioware games, then it shouldn't be to hard.

Problem is that VNs have social stigma while Bioware RPGs are more or less mainstream.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Well it wasn't worded as "hey that girl looks nice" now was it ?

Well it wasn't worded as "hey that girl looks nice" now was it ? And Sawyer didn't like the party in general so that's a mute point. Also, they do know not to feed trolls, and rather concentrate on having a good time. All this doesn't make it okay.

What's the deal with the children though, how is it bad (besides being exposed to some bad language here and there) Some people are just too sensitive :troll:

Snerf

Learned
Children are precious Fabergé eggs and must never be exposed to adults drinking alcohol or swear words.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom