Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Since I missed out on the last minutes, I've just watched the end of the Kickstarter. Man, it was so good, I felt happy for the Obsidian guys. When the Final Countdown music started, I would almost joined them in ther WOOOOOO-ing. :D Good party, good people. Keep it on Obsidian. :salute:

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hey man... I don't think anyone here is asking for nude scenes and open sex in project eternity. I think the majority of the people in this post is just asking for good romance stories, the ones you can read in good books.

*asks for romances like in BG 2*
*compares BG 2 romances to romances you can read in a "good book"*

That fucking thread deserves it's own subsection in 'Best Thread Ever'...Jebus.

jewboy

Arbiter
WTF?! My recollection is that most of the comments about Nicole were pretty normal. Many were just, "Green shirt girl!" and "I love you green shirt girl" and "closeup of green shirt girl". I was surprised at that actually. People were a lot more civilized than I would have expected. If the comments had been as rude as some of you seem to be implying I don't think she would have been so good natured about the whole thing. She almost seemed to enjoy all of that positive attention. And thankfully there were no mean comments about Feargus or Tim or the two kids that I recall.

And, btw, Nicole was the only even slightly attractive girl there. Maybe the girl with the white t-shirt and glasses also. But the rest were skank ugly. I didn't think Nicole was all that hot, but she was the only girl there that was really worth ogling. Since there really wasn't all that much going on it shouldn't be surprising that males, whether virgins or not, wanted her closer to the camera. The gamer chicks had that Donnie Wahlberg look-alike and MCA to ogle. So I don't see the problem asking for greenshirtgirl to get a bit closer to the camera. Which she did obligingly many times.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Who the fuck cares about how these girls look as long as they deliver to us cool romanc GOOD MECHANIC and levels and art and shit.

Uhh, I should stop reading that thread already.

Dexter

Arcane
So it's already verboten to just say "hey that girl looks nice" nowadays? Good to know. It's even more funny since Sawyer was the only one there in the room who didn't like that they were simply having a bit fun lightheartedly joking about that green shirt stuff. She even seemed to enjoy it and laughed about it. But it seems it's not politically correct. :(
Well obviously dude, it's sexual harassment!
http://humanrights.gov.au/sexualharassment/sh_employees.html

Sexual harassment is any unwanted or unwelcome sexual behaviour. It has nothing to do with mutual attraction or friendship.
Examples of this behaviour may include:
  • staring or leering
  • unnecessary familiarity, such as deliberately brushing up against you or unwelcome touching
  • suggestive comments or jokes
  • insults or taunts of a sexual nature
  • intrusive questions or statements about your private life
  • displaying posters, magazines or screen savers of a sexual nature
  • sending sexually explicit emails or text messages
  • inappropriate advances on social networking sites
  • accessing sexually explicit internet sites
  • requests for sex or repeated unwanted requests to go out on dates
  • behaviour that may also be considered to be an offence under criminal law, such as physical assault, indecent exposure, sexual assault, stalking or obscene communications.
Very few people who experience workplace sexual harassment make formal complaints. This may be due to a significant lack of understanding as to what sexual harassment is.
For example, when the Commission conducted its 2008 Sexual Harassment National Telephone Survey, an explanation of behaviours that would be sexual harassment was provident to respondents, who expressly said they did not experience sexual harassment. After the explanation, around one in five respondents went on to report they had experienced behaviours that may in fact constitute sexual harassment under the law.

Even consensually touching a woman's breasts is apparently sexual assault nowadays: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...sm-white-knighting-stoops-to-a-new-low.76772/
You should check your privileges and keep them in check when attempting to look at girls or talk to them or they might get'cha and lock you away.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Personaly remebering my life a good chunk of my motivation to do **** was to get leid!
Even now with my girldfried still a lot of my motivation is keep geting leid with her. I love her and i want to make her hapy, i want her to be wel, etc.

:lol: These people are incredible. I like how this last sentence is related to the preceding one.

Now you see why I fled those forums. It's too difficult to argue with such incisive and erudite thought. :M

Shevek

Arcane
A frequently cited problem of IE games is rest-spamming.

It is quite easy to realize that such problem can be quite decently solved by simply managing the combat encounters more intelligently than whining about how that is detrimental to the game. If the game is designed in a way so that the player party has to move from encounter to encounter (until you reach a safe spot) without an opportunity to rest in between, there would be no rest-spamming. Some might feel that this is too tough. Not so. It is simply made challenging by adding enough resources after every encounter that are just necessary to win the next encounter but still keeping it challenging. IWDs did this quite well. This would allow challenge (NOT frustration or annoyance) to be experienced only enhancing the game.

So, you wish to limit rest. They have not said whether or not they will do this. However, considering their health mechanic, they probably will.

The second problem cited often is save-scumming:

In my view this is the strangest complaint playing a computer game. In a PnP game (to which a lot of people draw unfair comparison to cRPGs) the DM provides a flexible scaffold to play within the game, so that player misfortune (through bad die rolls) is mitigated unless he is playing terribly. A computer game is also a scaffold but a rigid one. That means good tactics but bad luck may result in losing huge lot of effort. This is solved by saving the game. If the encounters are designed as described above, there would BE NO WAY TO EXPLOIT SAVE-RELAOD system. This is a an easier and an elegent solution compared to a complete overhaul which could result in broken mechanics like so many non IE cRPG classics.

Most people only have an issue with save scummiing as it pertains to exploiting rest in IE games. Save-Rest-Ambush-Reload-Rest-Ambush-Reload-Rest-Continue
There are other instances like, oh, Save, Set Trap Fail, Reload, Set Trap Success, Continue. Save, Disable Trap Fail, Reload, Disable Trap Success, Continue... Your silver bullet solution isn't exactly a solution.

I believe that the system proposed here for stamina and health is a result of these considerations gone off track (trying to avoid rest-spamming or save-scumming). There is NO reason to get rid of a non-broken system in IE games which is simply a victim of poor design of encounters.

Thats a whole lotta opinion and just about ZERO justification.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
There is only so much INT damage a man can take, before being left into an inactive state, just drooling and sitting in a pile of your own feces.

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
What has been said about cutscene, cinematics and voiceactors?

I hope they are avoiding those pitfalls atleast.
I mean some 3D rendered interludes and VO for important NPC's are allright.

But not near the Biowarian standards I hope.

jewboy

Arbiter
So it's already verboten to just say "hey that girl looks nice" nowadays?

That's a stupid straw man. Do you really think any of those people in the chat just wanted to pay her an honest compliment?

Yes I do. That's what most of the comments were. Compliments. Well at least the twitch tv comments. Something like, "Marry me, green shirt girl!" was not atypical.

titus

Arcane
Patron
WTF?! My recollection is that most of the comments about Nicole were pretty normal. Many were just, "Green shirt girl!" and "I love you green shirt girl" and "closeup of green shirt girl". I was surprised at that actually. People were a lot more civilized than I would have expected. If the comments had been as rude as some of you seem to be implying I don't think she would have been so good natured about the whole thing. She almost seemed to enjoy all of that positive attention. And thankfully there were no mean comments about Feargus or Tim or the two kids that I recall.

And, btw, Nicole was the only even slightly attractive girl there. Maybe the girl with the white t-shirt and glasses also. But the rest were skank ugly. I didn't think Nicole was all that hot, but she was the only girl there that was really worth ogling. Since there really wasn't all that much going on it shouldn't be surprising that males, whether virgins or not, wanted her closer to the camera. The gamer chicks had that Donnie Wahlberg look-alike and MCA to ogle. So I don't see the problem asking for greenshirtgirl to get a bit closer to the camera. Which she did obligingly many times.

Lol wut?
What did you expect her to say/do? Call them retards and storm out of the room? They were there to get more money and to thank the people who supported them.
Seriously...

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Fuck it. I tried bros on the Obsidian forums, but it's like driving nails into one's own head. Those freaks are just too much, too blind, too indoctrinated, too fucking fucked.

The tactic I'll be using is stating what i think about an issue with strong argumentation and then NOT reading the replies. If there's enough people making sane comments it MIGHT somewhat change the terrain. That's the only way to keep one's sanity. And discussing with retards is pointless.

Well that's all well and good but remember that you still risk permanent damage as you'll find that you have to at least scan the posts to see if you are having any effect.

Why bother one could ask? I'd argue that failing to provide any counter arguments runs the risk of the retards becoming the de-facto representation of the fanbase and even though of course Tim, Josh, Chris and the rest have their own vision for the game and will follow it religiously(especially now that they don't need publisher approval); there is still the risk that they could decide to modify certain aspects of their vision or add particular suggestions just to placate the drooling, braying hordes. Without a monocled opposition they might just decide that placating the retards is of greater benefit in the long term than bothering to look after Codexers and other true RPG connoisseurs who are nowhere to be seen.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
There is a poll on the main Obsidian page, asking which game should PE be the most like? And just for fun, there is a Call of Duty option.

And FFS, CoD is ahead of Temple of Elemental Evil in the results. :x

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Most of the people on the Obs forums would probably be surprised to hear that there are other RPGs other than the ones made by Bioware and Obsidian.

Arkeus

Arcane
Great job guys. Obsidian's 14k short of their final goal. Now the game will be shit.
Obviously, all the money made from paypal above 4 million is NOT toward the game, as they clearly said the money from 3.5-4m will be about making the game better.
It will all be about paying Sawyer's booze.

Shevek

Arcane
Over 4m with paypal and I like the numbers actually. There is some wierd numerological mojo going on:
Backers

$3,986,929
pledged of $1,100,000 goal

jewboy

Arbiter
Lol wut?
What did you expect her to say/do? Call them retards and storm out of the room? They were there to get more money and to thank the people who supported them.
Seriously...

Nicole is not even a part of the PE team. None of the kickstarter money is even going to the game she is working on. I highly doubt that Feargus told her, "I expect you to stand around getting ogled by thousands of RPG nerds or you will be fired". Well, unless he is very fond of getting sued. I'm confident that there was no requirement for her to be there, and she did in fact leave for a while. She could easily have walked away and just gone back to work and maybe just showed up for the last few minutes of the celebration.

Grimlorn

Arcane
If you guys think those women didn't love the attention, you're crazy. Women LOVE attention and compliments. They wouldn't have gone up to the cameras so they could have been ogled if they didn't. It's not a big deal.

And anyways, if those guys (making those comments) had actually been at the party they wouldn't have had the balls to go up to them. Probably would have just stared at them from afar the whole night. The internet is a funny thing. Gives nerds balls.

It was all in good fun and you guys are reading too much into it. You guys need to put the white knight armor away.

Captain Shrek

Over 4m with paypal and I like the numbers actually. There is some wierd numerological mojo going on:
Backers

$3,986,929
pledged of $1,100,000 goal

7 + 3 + 9 + 8 + 6 = 33

Coincidence?

I guess not!

Alright, anti-romance guys.

You will never win this debate. Let me rephrase that. You will only win it because the Devs in this case are on your side. Your arguments are irrelevant (plot and theme and seriousness) for these people with whom you are arguing.

Pretty much. The best you people can do is link them to some erotic visual novels and hope they realize it's more suited to their tastes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom