Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

catfood

AGAIN
Quite disappointed Tolkien races are in. This would have been a great opportunity to finally try something new.

You really need those staples, most people like familiarity and wouldn't touch a game filled with weird stuff (Where's my dwarven barbarian? Where's my elven mage? Where's my majestic paladin? You call this fantasy? 1/10). At least it isn't only dwarves'n'elves.

Well, PS:T didn't have dwarves and elves, neither did Wiz8. It's not like it hasn't been tried before. It's a self-sulfilling prophecy; a company imagines the fans want elves, but is this really the case? With some boldness an audience could be found for a fresh setting. This would even generate some hype and bring a new audience aboard.

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/60116-do-we-want-elves-and-dwarves/

72 votes for no dwarves and elves, 54 votes for them.

:hmmm:

72 votes for no dwarves and elves, 54 votes in favour of them (plus 66 for a "subversion")

Well, there you have it. Almost double the number of people wanting the familiar setting (the people who want a subversion just want elves and dwarves with a new coat of paint, such as the ni...african-american elves from Dragon Age). And I'm not even sure if the people who say they don't want their scottish dwarves would maintain that position once the game is a reality and it isn't just an hypothetical "so yeah, do you want the good old races you know or NEW EXCITING STUFF????" question anymore.

Gozma

Arcane
It's actually pretty interesting the ways that Tolkien gets consistently twisted in generic fantasy now, like his elves going from scary superhumans to effete tree people martyrs or his monkey-coward-sociopath orcs becoming giant androgenized beefcake monsters. And Scottish dwarves that make no sense.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
You can't seriously make a connection about Steam exclusivity and consoles. The whole game is set up as a PC game, no way it would work on consoles. As for no kick it forward, does that thing even used anymore? I know it was a big stuff when Wasteland2 started, but it seems to me that not many use it right now. Just checked it, there are only 22 projects that use kick it forward right now. And there are hundreds of projects total.

So... are there any reasons for having steam exclusivity other than making as much money as possible?

I thought if they were interested in milking the game, they'd naturally think of releasing it on the console market.

I could visualise an announcement halfway through development about how they realised how great this game could be on consoles.

kaizoku

Arcane
Apparently 2d backgrounds, 3d sprites. People are mentioning this, but I actually have a hard time finding a statement from Obsidian about this.

2D backgrounds. 3D models. Like in ToEE.
http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/59974-project-eternity-known-information/

Anyway, Obsidian could still sell their game digitally directly through their site just like Larian does with their Divinity games, and they can do the same thing with any DLC they might want to use to milk poor shmucks (Biodrones). This DRM free option is always available should they wish it.
This tends to suck.
People like have their collection in a single location.

Well, PS:T didn't have dwarves and elves, neither did Wiz8. It's not like it hasn't been tried before. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy; a company imagines the fans want elves, but is this really the case? With some boldness an audience could be found for a fresh setting. This would even generate some hype and bring a new audience aboard.

72 votes for no dwarves and elves, 54 votes in favour of them (plus 66 for a "subversion")
I think they will be pleasing both crowds.
You do indeed have the 3 traditional races, but you also have subraces. And none of them are there just because. He's adding them in a way that's coherent with the world.

So you'll have the traditional 3.
You're very likely have subverted sub-races.
And you'll have 2 other races that are non-traditional ones.

kaizoku

Arcane
You misunderstand. The game has not yet been made and the mistakes aren't set in stone. I was giving a recipe for success, not a prediction for what he will do. He seems to be in a bit of a panic but he's in charge of it so he can still save his project and make it work if he makes the right decisions. He seems like a reasonable person
He looked pretty chillaxed to me in the last video update.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Apparently 2d backgrounds, 3d sprites. People are mentioning this, but I actually have a hard time finding a statement from Obsidian about this.

2D backgrounds. 3D models. Like in ToEE.
http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/59974-project-eternity-known-information/

Yes, but this is written by a moderator on a forum, I don't see where Obsidian mentions this, not explicitly on the Kickstarter page for sure. But nevermind, I'm just nitpicking.

Well, there you have it. Almost double the number of people wanting the familiar setting (the people who want a subversion just want elves and dwarves with a new coat of paint, such as the ni...african-american elves from Dragon Age). And I'm not even sure if the people who say they don't want their scottish dwarves would maintain that position once the game is a reality and it isn't just an hypothetical "so yeah, do you want the good old races you know or NEW EXCITING STUFF????" question anymore.

Well, not really. I didn't look closely. The poll is very badly constructed, with multiple options for and against, with nonsensical distinctions:

PRO:
"Yes, I think the traditional races are good mainstays" 54 votes
"I like them, but prefer them in a subverted, non-traditional form" 67 votes
"I only like Dwarves" 8 votes
"I only like Elves" 4 votes

total: 133

CONTRA:
"I dislike the traditional races" 17 votes
"I hate the traditional races, they are in everything and feel like something a publisher would forcibly include in a setting, regardless of original vision." 44 votes
"I dont dislike the traditional races, but i do want new races to explore" 74 votes

total: 135 votes

(don't care: 17 votes)

More votes against than for! The very bad poll options obscure this fact, should have gone with three options.

Malpercio

Arcane
This thread could be interesting:

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/60230-mature-themes-youd-like-to-see-in-the-game/

Edit: Some comments aren't though...

Why am I suddenly reminded of the Imoen Romance mod for BG2 (which, considering the subject matter, is remarkably well done and surprisingly tasteful)?

bo8iw.gif

Grimlorn

Arcane
Trying to fight the good fight. There are a lot of retards in these romance threads. Would like to get these threads shut down.

Niektory

one of some
Patron
Anyway, Obsidian could still sell their game digitally directly through their site just like Larian does with their Divinity games, and they can do the same thing with any DLC they might want to use to milk poor shmucks (Biodrones). This DRM free option is always available should they wish it.
This tends to suck.
People like have their collection in a single location.
Yes. This location being my hard drive.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...erid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=74#post407656911

1stGear said:
Fergus Mac Roich said:
It wouldn't have much of a use/would never be included but I'm currently thinking about what would happen if this game included a Company of Heroes/Dawn of War-style cover system. I think RPGCodex would go apeshit and accuse this game of trying to be Gears of War.​

If you started adding game elements and systems in just to infuriate grognards, you'd probably end up with a pretty good game.

:killit:

tsk tsk

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
A freebie. Magic is based on soul. Maybe moral system to determine spellset? I wouldn't mid it, if you're a douchebag you can't heal people. Bye bye righteous paladin stereotype.

made

Arcane
No Onyx engine after all it seems.

https://twitter.com/ChrisAvellone/status/247804807514054656

That leaves us with Unity, lolz.

Can someone elaborate to me as a layman what those "middleware attachments" could be exactly? I'd like to ask Adam Brennecke about this for our hopefully sometime upcoming Codex interview.
All the crap the annoys you with endless logos before the game finally starts. Bink video, Scaleform, Havok, Speedtree... I don't see why they would even need most of it in a game like this.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Didn't Tim Cain program ToEE's engine, one that had exactly the same prerequisites as Project Eternity ?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
A freebie. Magic is based on soul. Maybe moral system to determine spellset? I wouldn't mid it, if you're a douchebag you can't heal people. Bye bye righteous paladin stereotype.

Yeah, nah. Too Fable and Star Wars-esque. I'm tired of infantile Saturday morning cartoon morality forced down my throat. Unless it's a deep and complex philosophy based code of honor / morality kind of thing then I'm fine with not having any kind of morality at all. I don't need a day care lady to constantly remind me what is naughty and what will get me rewarded with animal stickers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom