Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Crap their servers are down again. I mean really.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's interesting how Eternity now has more backers then Shadowrun Returns did, yet the money raised is lower by some hundreds of thousands. And this is despite the fact that SR was $15 and DE is is $20/now-$25. Is it because SR showed up during the height of Kickstarter fever or were their higher-tier rewards more appealing? Both?

You can't compare a finished Kickstarter with one that's in progress. They're in different evolutionary states.

kaizoku

Arcane
Curious_Tongue and The Brazilian Slaughter

The reason they went for Steam can be twofold:

1) Gabe was willing to donate them something if they went with Steam (which I kind of doubt)
2) they hope to release DLCs in the future, and GOG doesn't provides a nice way to do that

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
It's interesting how Eternity now has more backers then Shadowrun Returns did, yet the money raised is lower by some hundreds of thousands. And this is despite the fact that SR was $15 and DE is is $20/now-$25. Is it because SR showed up during the height of Kickstarter fever or were their higher-tier rewards more appealing? Both?
That's... because the Shadowrun Kickstarter is already over with.
~Quinn

Captain Shrek

Chris_Tim.gif

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity/posts/310512

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

You can't compare a finished Kickstarter with one that's in progress. They're in different evolutionary states.
Do people raise their pledges during the last day? What strange behavior.

kaizoku

Arcane

It's hard to draw a comparison, but the given the facts (less backers and more money for SRR) this points out that they went for higher tiers.
http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity/ - Average Pledge Per Backer: $40
http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/1613260297/shadowrun-returns/ - Average Pledge Per Backer: $51

One possible explanation is the SR fanbase and the desire for goodies.
The physical items tiers can do more harm than good.
IIRC DFA will be spending 600k on the items and shipping.

almondblight

Arcane

If you check out the comments, a number of people often talk about raising their amount at the end for a push. I didn't see this with Shadowrun Returns, but I noticed a number of other Kickstarters have days where there's a large increase in the amount of money but not number of people pledging - this could be from a few high level backers, but it seems like there are some things that happen during the course of the Kickstarter to cause people to up their pledges (new rewards, new information that get people more excited).

I do wonder how the $20 tier being sold out will affect this Kickstarter, since now the lowest game tier is $25.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They've sort of committed themselves by limiting the 20 dollar tier. They might consider increasing it at some point, but by doing that they may end up losing more money than they gain.

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
I'm also just going to put this here in case anyone in the future questions whether or not the plague ridden little rats we have in our walls actually are that

suejak
on J Sawyers Formspring said:
Yeah. you have a contingent at like RPGCodex that HATES EVERYTHING. Now that they've paid their $20, they feel like JE, MCA, and Tim Cain are blood-sworn to make whatever wet dream game they think they all agree they want. Whatever.
Huh? There is a contingent here that is completely vituperative, self-important, and annoying as all hell. You don't necessarily seem to be a member of that contingent.

But yes, people using their immense free time to assail JE's social media with angry messages about how THEY WILL WITHDRAW THEIR MONEY IF...!!! are obnoxious as all hell and need to shut it up. Nobody cares. Either voice your opinion like a normal kid or withdraw your pledge and go away. Nobody owes them anything.

I don't hate everything... just half of it.

Also, did't Sawyer also made some line at forums akin to "You paid for product after all, so we want to hear what you want"? Double standarts? :roll:

Yeah. you have a contingent at like RPGCodex that HATES EVERYTHING. Now that they've paid their $20, they feel like JE, MCA, and Tim Cain are blood-sworn to make whatever wet dream game they think they all agree they want. Whatever.
Old-school players throwing (free) design ideas and money into your project instead of quietly discussing which character will be romanceable. Oh, what a horror.
Um, JE didn't say that stuff. I said it. Most of us cool oldtimers share our opinions without OH GOD THREE RACES well I'm WITHDRAWING MY PLEDGE you FEMINAZI.

Bonnie

Educated
'Black Hound' is like Arcanum: the pc is a 'victim of circumstance', now you have to go kill/dialogue choice the damn elves so they can stop 'haunting' you. I like Tim Cain.

So, instead of releasing the stretch goals one by one, they release them all at once and then use their video updates to get everyone to back more? They should have done the former and the latter.

Best thing about the 'fantasy' world is how they are using Tolkien-esque races but they are subverted by adding extra sub-cultures, but even more - they are going to create their own races too - the ultimate way to create a spec-text.

I want the cloth map, fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck I don't have enough money for that!:keepmymoney:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Still here suejak?

Um, JE didn't say that stuff. I said it.

So you once again prove you are a fucking moron.
Guess you don't also have a problem with the Biodrone "contingent" who think they deserve sexy romance for their $20?

Oldtimer... :lol:

Stinger

Arcane

It's really not that strange. For one the hype builds up and many fans dedicated to seeing the game reach a high funding increase their goals.

Second, projects like WL2 added a $30 digital tier towards the end of the campaign which made many backers upgrade. And finally near the end Fargo added additional prizes to the higher tiers like Avellone's Wasteland novella which got a lot of people to upgrade.

Then there are additional external factors to consider, people who pledge more need to raise more as welll and that takes time and many of the higher tier backing comes towards the end of the campaign as a result.

Like Infinitron says, it's not really a comparison nor anything to write home about.

You're delusional. It's clearly not going to be an Icewind Dale and they are clearly going to try more "mature" things than they've ever done. Have you even listened to the words they said?

You misunderstand. The game has not yet been made and the mistakes aren't set in stone. I was giving a recipe for success, not a prediction for what he will do. He seems to be in a bit of a panic but he's in charge of it so he can still save his project and make it work if he makes the right decisions. He seems like a reasonable person

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
The reason why I was suspicious about Obsidian wanting to have PE on consoles is the green the eyes they seem to have with this project.

No kick it forward, DRM, Steam exclusive etc...

It feels like they're hiding something, this doesn't feel... right.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom