Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Kz3r0

Arcane
Curious_Tongue and The Brazilian Slaughter

The reason they went for Steam can be twofold:

1) Gabe was willing to donate them something if they went with Steam (which I kind of doubt)
2) they hope to release DLCs in the future, and GOG doesn't provides a nice way to do that
I think that the real reason is that Steam is seen as a convenient digital platform instead of DRM by many, essentially Steam is the DRM that can be used while pretending that no DRM is used.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas

1) Gabe was willing to donate them something if they went with Steam (which I kind of doubt)
2) they hope to release DLCs in the future, and GOG doesn't provides a nice way to do that
I think that the real reason is that Steam is seen as a convenient digital platform instead of DRM by many, essentially Steam is the DRM that can be used while pretending that no DRM is used.

Also steam has a much larger user base. Getting the maximum exposure is probably a good thing for a project like this.

Anyway I drank the Steam kool-aid about a year ago so whatever.

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
Still here suejak?

Um, JE didn't say that stuff. I said it.

So you once again prove you are a fucking moron.
Guess you don't also have a problem with the Biodrone "contingent" who think they deserve sexy romance for their $20?

Oldtimer... :lol:
Thankfully, not all of RPG Codex is part of the high-blood-pressure lunatic contingent. Just some.

I'm not even aware of people demanding romances en masse, bombarding JE's social media and making nasty threats.

Anyway, I was here before you and I'll be here after you're gone. Go back to writing your angry scrawls at the best RPG developer in North America.

Grimlorn

Arcane
Help me out bros, this shit is rotting my brain. I just had a conversation with someone who would like to abolish stats because it limits her ability to express herself. I need to lie down.
Really you can't have a reasonable conversation with those people. Just passive aggressively berate and chastise them so they won't post again, without being so insulting you get banned.

Stinger

Arcane
If it's 3D models on a 2D background does it really matter what engine they use?

made

Arcane
If it's 3D models on a 2D background does it really matter what engine they use?
If all an RPG engine does is animate models on a background then I guess not.

I just think it's ironic that now they finally have their own supposedly robust and flexible engine that can be tailored to suit their specific needs, but can't use it to make games unless with heavy financial backing from a publisher.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Quite disappointed Tolkien races are in. This would have been a great opportunity to finally try something new.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Tolkien didn't create dwarves and elves. Stop with your fukkin' bullshit.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...erid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=74#post407656911

1stGear said:
Fergus Mac Roich said:
It wouldn't have much of a use/would never be included but I'm currently thinking about what would happen if this game included a Company of Heroes/Dawn of War-style cover system. I think RPGCodex would go apeshit and accuse this game of trying to be Gears of War.​

If you started adding game elements and systems in just to infuriate grognards, you'd probably end up with a pretty good game.

:killit:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The reason why I was suspicious about Obsidian wanting to have PE on consoles is the green the eyes they seem to have with this project.

No kick it forward, DRM, Steam exclusive etc...

It feels like they're hiding something, this doesn't feel... right.
You can't seriously make a connection about Steam exclusivity and consoles. The whole game is set up as a PC game, no way it would work on consoles. As for no kick it forward, does that thing even used anymore? I know it was a big stuff when Wasteland2 started, but it seems to me that not many use it right now. Just checked it, there are only 22 projects that use kick it forward right now. And there are hundreds of projects total.

asper

Arcane
Tolkien didn't create dwarves and elves. Stop with your fukkin' bullshit.

As far as I know, Tolkien adapted fairytales and made them into the archetypes that are used in fantasy until today. Correct me.

so are they going for a diablo 3 kind of 3d style or some old school sprite shit?

Apparently 2d backgrounds, 3d sprites. People are mentioning this, but I actually have a hard time finding a statement from Obsidian about this.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Help me out bros, this shit is rotting my brain. I just had a conversation with someone who would like to abolish stats because it limits her ability to express herself. I need to lie down.
Really you can't have a reasonable conversation with those people. Just passive aggressively berate and chastise them so they won't post again, without being so insulting you get banned.

That reminds me of the Bethesda forums before FNV was released. Thread after thread of "Which real world gun would you like to see?" or "I hope this game is as great FO3". We tried to talk sense into them, but they shouted us down. By the time New Vegas was released, we were already limp and beaten.

After the release though, it was glorious! Tards were stressing beyond belief at the shit we were putting on them. They couldn't quantify at all why they hated New Vegas, and they were forced to admit to themselves that they liked lulzy and childish shit, and New Vegas didn't give it to them. They couldn't defend FO3 when they compared it to New Vegas, and you could sense the stress pouring out of them when we teased them.

I thought it might be the last victory we'd have over the tards, and I made the most of it.

Quite disappointed Tolkien races are in. This would have been a great opportunity to finally try something new.

You really need those staples, most people like familiarity and wouldn't touch a game filled with weird stuff (Where's my dwarven barbarian? Where's my elven mage? Where's my majestic paladin? You call this fantasy? 1/10). At least it isn't only dwarves'n'elves.

catfood

AGAIN

Steam is seen as a convenient digital platform because it is the BIGGEST digital platform. I don't have any numbers but I bet that the amount of games sold on Steam in a given time period trumps all other digital distribution services combined. If you plan on releasing a game digitally and it can't be on Steam, well then sucks to be you because that's a huge customer base that you can't reach. Not only that but I believe that Valve also has a sort of quality standard system placed in because I read somewhere that not every average Joe can get his indie game up on Steam, it needs to pass certain quality tests (I could be wrong about this though), so if you're game is there it means it's more prestigious.

Anyway, Obsidian could still sell their game digitally directly through their site just like Larian does with their Divinity games, and they can do the same thing with any DLC they might want to use to milk poor shmucks (Biodrones). This DRM free option is always available should they wish it.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeah Biodrones and Bethtards need their familiar crutches, I am cautiusly optimistic about this project again, One thing that Obsidian delivers every time are companions... even in a pos like NWN2. Still have the feeling it is not game I want from them.

asper

Arcane

You really need those staples, most people like familiarity and wouldn't touch a game filled with weird stuff (Where's my dwarven barbarian? Where's my elven mage? Where's my majestic paladin? You call this fantasy? 1/10). At least it isn't only dwarves'n'elves.

Well, PS:T didn't have dwarves and elves, neither did Wiz8. It's not like it hasn't been tried before. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy; a company imagines the fans want elves, but is this really the case? With some boldness an audience could be found for a fresh setting. This would even generate some hype and bring a new audience aboard.

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/60116-do-we-want-elves-and-dwarves/

72 votes for no dwarves and elves, 54 votes in favour of them (plus 66 for a "subversion")

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom