Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Hobo Elf

Arcane
New Tim Cain interview: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...nformation-tentative-spring-2014-release-date

He says they have an engine already. WTF?

"The player witnesses an extraordinary and horrific supernatural event that thrusts them into a unique and difficult circumstance. Burdened with the consequences of this event, the player has to investigate what has happened in order to free themselves from the restless forces that follow and haunt them wherever they go," he wrote.

Sounds a lot like The Black Hound, bros.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
New Tim Cain interview: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...nformation-tentative-spring-2014-release-date

"The player witnesses an extraordinary and horrific supernatural event that thrusts them into a unique and difficult circumstance. Burdened with the consequences of this event, the player has to investigate what has happened in order to free themselves from the restless forces that follow and haunt them wherever they go," he wrote.

Sounds a lot like The Black Hound, bros.
Shhh, that name is cursed.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
If it's 3D models on a 2D background does it really matter what engine they use?
If all an RPG engine does is animate models on a background then I guess not.

I just think it's ironic that now they finally have their own supposedly robust and flexible engine that can be tailored to suit their specific needs, but can't use it to make games unless with heavy financial backing from a publisher.
I remember when Obsidian fans tried to tell me Onyx was an RPG engine Obsidian was going to use to make RPGs because Chris Avellone said so. Now the truth comes out: it only will ever be used to make third person shooters, brawlers, and Paper Mario clones. Strike another win for me.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron

There was another piece of news when game was released that their engine allowed them to do new stuff with rendering never seen before. I don't know why people assumed they meant the DS3 engine...

http://www.gamebanshee.com/interviews/109456-project-eternity-interview.html

Buck: Who are the people at Obsidian Entertainment that are actively working on the game? How large of a development team do you think you'll need to achieve your goals for the game?

Feargus: On top of Josh Sawyer, Tim Cain, Chris Avellone, and Adam Brennecke, we have a few other people working on technology and an entirely new rendering method that should surprise everyone when we are able to show it off.

Grimlorn

Arcane

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well I can't fight them all by myself. I thought the thread would be closed by now. It's just degenerated into insults and they're getting so upset that people don't want romances that they're name calling.

I've been there since the beginning. It really is dreadful.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think I know what's going on. They have another engine, based on Onyx, which they don't want to call Onyx - for branding purposes, so people don't associate the game with DS3.

The Eternity Engine.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
At the core of the rules will be souls. In the Kickstarter video, Josh Sawyer said a character's soul was tied to the magic system. Cain expanded: "No, you don't have to be evil to access any abilities. They aren't categorised like that. Instead, in this world, your soul is connected to your power.
Good bye theory, hello evil paladin party.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Anyway, I was here before you and I'll be here after you're gone. Go back to writing your angry scrawls at the best RPG developer in North America.

Where is that "here" exactly? I don't see any proof.

Best RPG developer in North America :lol: So fucking American of you. Also America is the best at American Football in the whole world. Very meaningful and worthy of respect.

Fucking brain-dead wannabe internet heroes.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It's interesting how Eternity now has more backers then Shadowrun Returns did, yet the money raised is lower by some hundreds of thousands. And this is despite the fact that SR was $15 and DE is is $20/now-$25. Is it because SR showed up during the height of Kickstarter fever or were their higher-tier rewards more appealing? Both?
Wasteland 2 was the only hope for inclining cRPG's, it was a "if this won't work, nothing will" choice. Couple of months on, we have more cRPG's in development like even Chaos Chronicles, that appeals more to a lot of Codexians compared to Eternity. Eternity is more of a "safe" bet, but not something that needs to make a statement, like Wasteland 2 had to. They had less backers, but more committed ones. The Codex alone got $10K for it. I doubt we can manage $5K this time, even if MCA would draw more trolls. All that being said, I think it will all even out at around 2.5 mil or maybe 3 mil unless some unforeseen events occur.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's interesting how Eternity now has more backers then Shadowrun Returns did, yet the money raised is lower by some hundreds of thousands. And this is despite the fact that SR was $15 and DE is is $20/now-$25. Is it because SR showed up during the height of Kickstarter fever or were their higher-tier rewards more appealing? Both?
Wasteland 2 was the only hope for inclining cRPG's, it was a "if this won't work, nothing will" choice. Couple of months on, we have more cRPG's in development like even Chaos Chronicles, that appeals more to a lot of Codexians compared to Eternity. Eternity is more of a "safe" bet, but not something that needs to make a statement, like Wasteland 2 had to. They had less backers, but more committed ones. The Codex alone got $10K for it. I doubt we can manage $5K this time, even if MCA would draw more trolls. All that being said, I think it will all even out at around 2.5 mil or maybe 3 mil unless some unforeseen events occur.

Dude - the minimum pledge to get the game is now 25 dollars.

There's absolutely no way it's not going to get a higher amount than Wasteland 2.

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
they should lower the 140$ to 100$ or add a little figurine instead of the cloth patch to the box. every nerd would place the figurine somewhere at home whilst most of them would never use a cloth patch. right now it seems too expensive with hardly any usage.

Inclusion of elves and dwarves doesn't bother me. An all-original setting would be nice, but it's still possible to eke worth out of the old bastards. Hard-pressed to think of a game that has done so, but in terms of writing, just a few years back a series of books called the Prince of Nothing came out that had basically carbon-copy versions of elves and orcs (no dwarves, though) but played in a brutally different fashion. Less "subversion" of the trope, more "copying it almost exactly while bringing it to an entirely different meaning."

How trite it ends up being will depend on how much focus and effort end up being put into the "multiple subraces/cultures" idea. I expect at least one subtype of each to be the generic rehashing done so poorly by so many, but there's potential in the other tribes and in the original races. It's Obsidian, writing quality is probably the one thing to assume will be top tier.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
They need to add digital tiers to 25/50/75/100, that would get more pledges too.

They need to add digital tiers to 25/50/75/100, that would get more pledges too.

They need to do a lot of shit. They could have gotten a lot more money if they done this in a more professional way (tiers, updates, stretch goals). FFS they are a pretty big, professional studio compared to the other kickstarters and they do this campaign pretty shitty. They better snap to it, I want this game to be as best as it can. Also Planetary Annihilation did stretch goals well (and here I mean presentation, mystery etc.). Also a lot of people would pledge if it was DRM-free, so they should do something about that too.

The funding seems to have considerably slowed down. :(

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA

They need to do a lot of shit. They could have gotten a lot more money if they done this in a more professional way (tiers, updates, stretch goals). FFS they are a pretty big, professional studio compared to the other kickstarters and they do this campaign pretty shitty. They better snap to it, I want this game to be as best as it can. Also Planetary Annihilation did stretch goals well (and here I mean presentation, mystery etc.). Also a lot of people would pledge if it was DRM-free, so they should do something about that too.

Funding slowing down was to be expected, has happened with every kickstarter so far. True, and I was surprised that they didn't put the goal to 2 million or closer to it, but even more surprising was that they weren't prepared with the stretchgoals. Updates needs to have graffix and be sexy, only explanation I can think of is that they weren't expecting to hit 1,1 million until end of this week or so.

There's still plenty of time so they can get new surges with announcing digital tiers and DRM free digital download.

They also need to add updates in the frontpage of Kickstarter with sexay graffix so they caughts the eyes of people moneybags.

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity

every now and then someone steps in to claim this but... it's the fith day and the pedges are going down the usual way. w2 cashed in 1.29mio in 5 days falling down to the regular pledge rate. eternity stands at 1.56mio after 4 days and some hours.

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity/#chart-daily
http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2/#chart-daily

just compare the rates and do the math. even with a rather slow rate of 2k per hour and 24 days this will make another 1mio income, still having 4 days left with usual high end run peaks. probably another 300-500k.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Project Eternity and Wasteland 2 (if the two graphs had the same scale I would merge them)

current.png
current.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom