Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014

Someone with Obsidian account, please post "fuck that loser" to the guy with PhD in history quarreling over details and dismissing anyones' comments who does not have (ir)relevant degree :lol:

Also, the topic itself is a sad example of the way of thinking that kills any innovative approach in recent gaming. And there are a LOT of such pathetic fuckers that cannot imagine the design beyond Tolkien or Salvaretardore fantasy :( .

Gozma

Arcane
To be fair, when I played through Aerie's romance, I constantly was spitting up bile. It's only natural to start losing rapid amounts of strange liquids when playing a Bioware romance.

I don't think any argument against RPG romances can ever compare with inventory baby

You know Sawyer is such a 4E D&D type of nerd maybe he will just implement a totally gamey MTG type romance ruleset, like you have to tap 3 relationship cards to trigger the family stance that allows you to turn love tokens into etc

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Someone with Obsidian account, please post "fuck that loser" to the guy with PhD in history quarreling over details and dismissing anyones' comments who does not have (ir)relevant degree :lol:

Also, the topic itself is a sad example of the way of thinking that kills any innovative approach in recent gaming. And there are a LOT of such pathetic fuckers that cannot imagine the design beyond Tolkien or Salvaretardore fantasy :( .

It's okay, mods locked the thread. Pretentious potatos! What will they think of next : x

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
Do they really need all the middleware and shit just to draw characters onto a 2D background? The Onyx "Engine" sounds pretty half-assed...

all the middleware shit is tied to the code... rad tools, havoc, scaleform, perhaps rendering and streaming code, etc. why should they invest manpower to clean up this clusterfuck if they could rather use cain's expertise in coding a 2d engine from scratch? we don't know how long this project (or their engine - if it's their own and not a license) is in process. perhaps tim threw it together as a hobby in his spare time over the years. whatever the fuck no middleware means better chance for a toolset.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/60283-do-people-want-this-game-to-be-as-hardcore-as-90s-rpgs/

I've noticed lots of people here getting boners over the thought of being sadistically punished by the game mechanics of old. I understand and endorse the concept of making the player think more and do more within their game; something only the older games provided. But i do think that bringing back some of the unnecessarily tedious and frankly outdated game mechanics of the 90's would only be a detriment to the game.

Accept it or not, but it's factual that many game mechanics and gameplay elements have been improved since the 90's. Yes, many have been stripped of complexity, but it's foolish to say that nothing has improved.

So my question is: Do you want a carbon copy the "hardcore" game mechanics of the 90's, or do you want the more complex elements mixed with some modern mechanics and gameplay elements?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
To be fair, when I played through Aerie's romance, I constantly was spitting up bile. It's only natural to start losing rapid amounts of strange liquids when playing a Bioware romance.

I don't think any argument against RPG romances can ever compare with inventory baby
Did you know that some BG mods add a baby bottle carrier too. And other romances copy that 'design' for their own babies

Though to be fair, there was also a option to send the party member away or put the kid with the grandpa or something, which at least makes more sense than the original.

Of course, if it's a Male romance (Xan i think was one), there is a little discussion about who will carry the baby and baby accessories into battle. Equality über alles.

Equality, suuure. Because a baby that needs to be carried around like an idiot isn't ageist at all. :roll:

Your adult male privilege is showing. Is there any reason the baby can't hold his own in battle?

captain-commando-1.jpg

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
The baby bottle carrier doubled as a potion carrier :smug:
I wonder what Aerie would accidentally feed her spawn.

ToB was such a incredible piece of shit. I can't believe i got NWN anyway, what was i thinking.

Dexter

Arcane
Do they really need all the middleware and shit just to draw characters onto a 2D background? The Onyx "Engine" sounds pretty half-assed...

all the middleware shit is tied to the code... rad tools, havoc, scaleform, perhaps rendering and streaming code, etc. why should they invest manpower to clean up this clusterfuck if they could rather use cain's expertise in coding a 2d engine from scratch? we don't know how long this project (or their engine - if it's their own and not a license) is in process. perhaps tim threw it together as a hobby in his spare time over the years. whatever the fuck no middleware means better chance for a toolset.

Can someone elaborate to me as a layman what those "middleware attachments" could be exactly? I'd like to ask Adam Brennecke about this for our hopefully sometime upcoming Codex interview.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dungeon-siege-iii
Games using FaceFX, technology created by OC3 Entertainment to create realistic facial animation from audio files. It is also included in the UnrealEngine3 3D engine.
Games using a version of the Wwise audio pipeline suite by Audiokinetic.
Games using a version of the PhysX engine (formerly named Novodex) by AGEIA Technologies, Inc. to emulate dynamic and unscripted physics. It is an asynchronous multi-threaded physics API taking advantage of multiprocessor gaming systems, but also specifically designed for the PhysX Accelerator add-in card, a hardware physics processing unit.

http://www.onlinegamesdatenbank.de/index.php?section=title&titleid=15420
* Obsidian Entertainment, Inc.
* Audiokinetic Inc. [Engine/Middleware]
* Gas Powered Games Corp. [Produzent]
* NVIDIA Corporation [Engine/Middleware]
* OC3 Entertainment [Engine/Middleware]
* RAD Game Tools, Inc. [Engine/Middleware]
* Scaleform Corporation [Engine/Middleware]

It's funny, because all this shit is supposed to make a game easier/cheaper to produce since programmers don't have to implement and solve complex problems anew for every game. But seeing as this is a top-down isometric RPG (hopefully with hand-drawn backgrounds) produced on the cheap they likely won't need Physics, they won't need to animate faces, they won't need RAD/Bink for Videos and they will likely design a minimal UI themselves instead of using Scaleform etc.

Dexter

Arcane
Because the kind of backgrounds you people call "hand-drawn" aren't hand-drawn at all. They're pre-rendered.
I'm fully aware of how the Infinity Engine games worked, in fact I expect that the "new rendering feature" they were talking about in one of the interviews is likely related to that and being able to do something similar in a new way.

iZtiZIaBc5sNi.jpg

ibdymIRBjmXMjo.jpg

I still don't see much wrong with calling most of that stuff "hand-drawn background" since a lot of it is directly artwork applied into the game itself with some pieces being direct sprites:
BGMain%2B2011-07-20%2B15-26-33-25.JPG

pstlarge5.jpg

pstlarge9.jpg

It's one of the reasons why these games could have such great, creative environments while a lot of the 3D games of that era and beyond looked like marmite, having to create models for everything and trying to recreate concept art with extremely limited polycount ain't easy.
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/131493/baldurs_gate_ii_the_anatomy_of_a_.php?page=2

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Wait, there was a bit like that in ToB?
They even have the elves pregnancy be ~30 game days because otherwise people wouldn't see the resolution of their romance 'questline'. They mostly don't anyway.

You'd have thought that would be a nice signal the concept was completely stupid.

edit:
  • The baby will be born no earlier than 33 days game time after Aerie announces her pregnancy.
  • You must have completed the fifth and last challenge in the Hellish Pocket Plane (fighting the Ravager).
  • After the challenge comes a love talk where you marry Aerie.
  • Now wait for 1 hour (real time – just set the game on pause and go get a cup of tea). Aerie will give birth to a healthy baby boy so long as there are no hostile or neutral creatures nearby.
:lol:

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Who knows the mysteries of elf physiology. If a baby can be born in 30 days...
wait a second, i wonder if it has wings.

You will believe a baby can fly MOD.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom