Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
No...NONONONONO. not durability. That is the easiest way to make RPG dull and boring.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Butthurt Space Satan never played Betrayal at Krondor, that did it right* (unlike Realms of Arkania... *shudder*).

*using the whetstone repaired all weapons in the party. Or was it only on the inventory? Need to replay soon.

Lancehead

Liturgist
The Durability mechanic sounds half-assed. Limiting durability to weapons, armour, and shields only doesn't make a lot of sense (no locational damage, but still), so doesn't items not breaking after being damaged. They could at least make it so that when repaired, items lose a bit off the maximum durability.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Durability mechanics are either really annoying or really insignificant, I'm betting on the latter. It'll probably drain a little gold from your pockets every time you're by a forge and that's it.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Some games, such as survival games (extreme scarcity of resources) and online sandbox games with player-run economies (item decay keeping craftsmen in business), durability makes sense to include and may even be a vital part of the experience. It even serves a purpose in shitty MMOs such as World of Warcraft, since a wide variety of currency sinks are needed.

It has no place in a game such as Project Eternity. There's no need for a currency sink in a single-player game, it's not appropriate thematically, and it's not called for by the game mechanics. This feels tacked-on to the max.

That said, if there are spells/abilities/throwable weapons/etc. that can dissolve/melt/shatter gear (rendering it "damaged"), then durability would make sense. Tactical complexity is always welcome.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Limiting durability to weapons, armour, and shields only doesn't make a lot of sense
Well my ring and necklace don't lose durability, and I use them everyday. So as my quality belts, shirts and trousers (I take care of them and don't crawl with them in the mud). I think limiting durability to weapons and such makes sense.

That said, I'm not feeling that I really need this feature in PE.

Lancehead

Liturgist
I believe the game has more than chest armour, and that they also get hit and worn. They're not accounting wearing for all the armour pieces probably because there's no locational damage. That doesn't make the current implementation better.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
It does seem like it's just a money/resource sink + a reason to negate the penalty for wasting skill points in crafting ... which kind of (but not quite) cancels out "skill-point powergaming". I am a little bit tired by his design tendency to do that.

rope kid said:
It's both for the economy and to make Crafting a skill that has value on more than one party member. Typically, crafting-related skills can/should only be taken on one party member because the rules don't reward taking it on more than one. If you do, those points are essentially wasted. A durability system allows us to use individual Crafting skills to scale individual degradation rates. And yes, repair does become an economy sink because "static" items have a consumable aspect to them. A lot of players have a preference for finding, rather than buying, rare/unique items in the world (e.g. many people responded negatively to unique items in IWD2's stores), which can result in a lot of money accumulation in the late game. The stronghold will be a good money sink, but a lot of people may choose to not do much with the stronghold, so there's no guarantee it will be a sink.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3506352&userid=17931

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Really? One thing Dragon Age: Origins excelled at is price management. I never found myself with a lot of money or could bought everything I need, even after hoarding and selling every piss and shit stained cloth. There's no need in money sink if pricey items could drain acumulated money on their own.

~RAGING BONER~

Learned
food, i imagine is gonna aid in restoring health along with rest...while spells will be used to restore stamina.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Josh Sawyer said:
I worked on four of the IE titles (IWD, HoW, TotL, IWD2).
Yes, this is the one thing that worries me about PE, because these are the four I liked the least. Not that they were bad, though.

Regarding today's update; I'm not a fan of crafting (except maybe in BG2 sense - creating powerful artifacts from parts found around the world), so I couldn't care less. As for the durability system, it seems a bit simplistic, and I wonder why they bothered at all. I guess, if it's there, it's there, we'll just have to live with that (or mod it).

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Obsidian finally adds a feature to PE that is unquestionably more hardcore than the IE games. Codex complains about it. :troll:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Roguey's Dream Guy said:
The stronghold will be a good money sink, but a lot of people may choose to not do much with the stronghold, so there's no guarantee it will be a sink.

If item repair is meant to curb the currency accumulation that will occur for players who don't invest in the stronghold, then where does that leave players who do invest in the stronghold? Item repair will be mandatory, unlike the stronghold. Will stronghold investors be scrounging around anywhere they can for currency, then?

Obsidian finally adds a feature to PE that is unquestionably more hardcore than the IE games. Codex complains about it.
In what sense is item durability an intrinsically "hardcore" feature? The most brainless, casual portions of World of Warcraft feature item durability.

uCL6m1u.png

Sawyer is really taking this idea of "there should be no dump stats whatsoever" to an idiotic extreme. Isn't the entire idea of these party-based games that the various members of the party complement each others' weaknesses? Even if you're going the durability route, what's the problem with having only one party member in charge of item maintenance? If you're just going to end up with a homogeneous mess of a party where everybody has more or less the same set of skills because they're more or less equally important (balance!), then you might as well just make it a single character game.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yes, this is the one thing that worries me about PE, because these are the four I liked the least.

Yeah, let's get a Bioware designer to make the game instead. Or Chris "Arcanum LP" Avellone. :troll:

I don't think people who designed Baldur's Gate games work at Bioware now, but I'm too lazy to check.

I do admit that my comment above was a poor attempt at being smart and edgy.

To be honest, barring some obvious cock-ups like 'I don't want misses in combat, because people overrate misses; and no, you can't play a dodging character, trolololol', I really like what J.E.S. is trying to do in this game (mechanics-wise). But since game mechanics were pretty much the same in BG and IWD, the difference is on a different level, which is not handled by J.E.S., but George Ziets, I think?

EDIT: I found a good quote from J.E.S. himself:
PE is not a linear, IWD-style adventure.
This alone is enough to make me much more relaxed. ;)

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sawyer is really taking this idea of "there should be no dump stats whatsoever" to an idiotic extreme. Isn't the entire idea of these party-based games that the various members of the party complement each others' weaknesses? Even if you're going the durability route, what's the problem with having only one party member in charge of item maintenance? If you're just going to end up with a homogeneous mess of a party where everybody has more or less the same set of skills because they're more or less equally important (balance!), then you might as well just make it a single character game.

It's not that simple though. How do you define "weakness"?

Is it "Party Member A is less effective at doing X than Party Member B?"

Or is it "Party Member A is completely incompetent at doing X and absolutely requires Party Member B?"

Sawyer is in favor of the former, against the latter.

I don't think people who designed Baldur's Gate games work at Bioware now, but I'm too lazy to check.

You'd be surprised.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
It would be nice if various classes could be good at doing different things, aka specialization.

So far, we know that they should be good at doing different things... in combat, because we don't know much about non-combat gameplay.

Lancehead

Liturgist
uCL6m1u.png

I fail to see any logic in "more than one party member can benefit from Crafting" leading to "homogenisation".

coffeetable

Savant
Tradeoffs, mo'fucker.

You can pimp a character out in good steel and you'll be paying through the nose. You can compensate for that by leveling her crafting skill, but that's at the expense of her Alchemy and other non-combat skills. That might seem like an easy tradeoff to make - level the Crafting skills of people who get beat on a lot, level the other non-combat skills of people who don't - but I suspect that Alchemy will have some sort of combat value too, like improving the status effect of Potions drank by that character. So by making your Fighter's loot habit cheap to support, you're costing her in buffability.

I'm also guessing that Wizards and other magical support have robes that are damaged far more easily ('cause they're hit less often) and rods/staffs that decay with each use.

More conjecture: I'm expecting loot to improve in two ways. First it can get purdy and magical. That doesn't affect it's maintenance cost. Secondly it can be made out of better materials, with low grade Glanfathan and Oromi steel being cheap to repair, wihile Durgan (the high end shit) will cost an arm and a leg. The tradeoff means that cool magical items found early in the game can still be viable late game, but Obsidian don't have to hand out Durgan steel from the get-go.

I fail to see any logic in "more than one party member can benefit from Crafting" leading to "homogenisation".

You have three frontline fighters, you only want to repair/buy new weapons every X amount of time, a fighter with a damaged weapon is a worse fighter than one without a damaged weapon, so you give each fighter the amount of crafting skill it requires to make it through the X amount of time without their weapon getting damaged. The result is a homogenized frontline in terms of crafting skill.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom