Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Bleh, I hope you are not right. This is fucking annoying...

Do remember that this game will effectively give you four free resurrections (enough health to fall unconscious in battle four times), so death won't be as common as in BG. Also only hard difficulty even has permadeath.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Four free resurrections throughout the entire game? Is this some arbitrary number or does it have some sense behind it?

DraQ

Arcane
Hmm, that's a good question. I assume that it WILL be a game over of some kind since this is a PS:T-like game where only the main character can talk with NPCs. You can't exactly go on without him.
Of course in PS:T you can die all you want without a game over, with the exception of special circumstances which are more akin to non standard game over in other games.
Well, there is also the fact that PS:T was built around highly specific protagonist, not generic %sex%race%class adventureperson like all the other party members.

Also, will it even have resurrection, or just pre-death incapacitation playing the role of reversible death in IE games?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Darklands and PE related Josh posts
Josh emptyquoted said:
someone else said:
in darklands when you win a fight it just gives you a menu of all the loot everyone dropped and you can distribute it really fast with the hotkeys
it's a game super ahead of its time in a lot of ways i think

Josh said:
another person said:
You better have menu navigation of towns in Project: Eternity
someone on our forums was rill mad that we have illustrated/narrated interactions in PE

"THIS ISN'T DARKLANDS!!!!"

Josh said:
yet another said:
were the old interplay forums that bad
they were way worse imo

i had to moderate them for a long time lmao

Josh said:
darklands is still a really rad game. someone get the license and kickstart darklands 2. narrated by kai wulff. featuring the voice of steve blum.
i don't think the name itself is that important and it's all real-world historical stuff (or mythological stuff) so there's really no need to license anything.

atari has the license btw.

The name may not be important, but a Darklands 2 would likely receive more crowdfunding than Josh Sawyer's Low Fantasy Historical RPG because it's an established brand.

Good thing he can include a lot of things he liked about Darklands into Eternity.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Four free resurrections throughout the entire game? Is this some arbitrary number or does it have some sense behind it?

Not throughout the entire game.

In Project Eternity, you have health and stamina. Every time you're damaged, you lose a bit of both - 1 health point for each 4 stamina points. When you run out of stamina, you fall unconscious and you're out of the battle. When you run out of health, you "die" (only wounded in easy and normal, permadeath in hard). You regenerate stamina after each battle, but health can only be restored by resting in rest spots.

So that's kind of like having four free resurrections, because you can lose your entire stamina and fall in battle four times before running out of health.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Not what he meant - the damage system is setup in such a way that it takes about three to four complete stamina losses (with the resulting unconsciousness which vanishes when the fight is over, think KOTOR) to deplete all your HP (killing you if you have permadeath on, or doing something else if not). I do not know if the game even has resurrection per se.

EDIT: too slow, damn you Infinitron

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
That sounds a bit weird (even retarded) at first glance, but I'm giving it the benefit of doubt when I play the game...

I just came to this question because lately I was raped a couple of times by the basilisks in durlags tower (BG1) and while I could bring everyone back just fine, it pissed me off that the main chars "death" was an instant game over.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
When you run out of health, you "die" (only wounded in easy and normal, permadeath in hard). You regenerate stamina after each battle, but health can only be restored by resting in rest spots.
It's an expert mode toggle, separate from core difficulty. One can have permadeath on easy mode if they wanted.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
That sounds a bit weird (even retarded) at first glance, but I'm giving it the benefit of doubt when I play the game...

I just came to this question because lately I was raped a couple of times by the basilisks in durlags tower (BG1) and while I could bring everyone back just fine, it pissed me off that the main chars "death" was an instant game over.
Well, technically, IIRC in BG after a Bhaalspawn dies his soul somehow fuels the eventual victor's apotheosis, so no raising the MC back from the dead makes sense, narratively.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member

Well, technically, IIRC in BG after a Bhaalspawn dies his soul somehow fuels the eventual victor's apotheosis, so no raising the MC back from the dead makes sense, narratively.

Unless the Bhaalspawn is named "Imoen". :avatard:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
There won't be any save or die/"die" or resurrection spells in Eternity so that situation won't ever happen.

is this from ycs

dude you're getting creepy
I've been pasting relevant and semi-relevant ycs rope kid posts into this thread for months.

Arkeus

Arcane
I wonder, when we only create a main character, will we receive the same retarded game over like it was in BGI/II ? Like, everyone can die and you can resurrect them, only the main chars death is "lol reload" ?
Roguey said it, but it bears repeating: there is no resurrection whatsoever in the game, so unless you can play the whole game without 'you' then it will be Game Over.

Also, 'death' (and not wounds) will be a toggle- iirc it's on by default (except for easy), but you can't take it off in 'expert' mode.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Also, 'death' (and not wounds) will be a toggle- iirc it's on by default (except for easy), but you can't take it off in 'expert' mode.

Actually, it's not that simple. On easy mode, or when permadeath is disabled, what happens when you actually run out of health?

Are you incapacitated and carried around by your party members? Do you walk around with one health point that you can never lose? Do you walk around normally outside of combat, but instantly fall unconscious when a battle starts?

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Full health return and an 'injury' I assume.

Don't think so, that would be too lenient. Another four free resurrections as a prize for having gotten yourself killed?

With some attribute/skill penalties. The last great BG successor did the same thing.

Yeah, and it was totally ineffective. I'd like to think that the intention is that when you "die" in PE, you're not going to be able to meaningfully participate in combat until you get your health back. (Permadeath means that once you die, you CAN'T get your health back)

I'll ask Josh about this.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I thought DA injury system was very effective. It gave you an actual penalty that kept reminding about itself for an entire dungeon. In IE games when npc dies you would either reload or just use resurrection spell, which costs you nothing. No real penalty, just a bother.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom