Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
That's an old post. You post random stuff like that as if it's new haha

hiver

First off you heal everydayby not doing shit at all. That's kinda how your body works.
oh yeah, i see everyday how my health simply regenerates and my wounds close and heal without me doing anything.
Fuck, last weekend i broke my leg in three places... and i just slept it off.
Good as new!

Secondly you can call things like restarting a heart a *ressurection* if you want. That happens too.
resurrection is different then defibrillation.
google it of nothing else comes to mind.

(You're not going to heal everything by just resting),
No? wait... but.. you just said you would.

but if you actually think they are flat out impossible or comparable I.... I just don't know.
Exactly. You. just. dont. know.

Duraframe300

Arcane
First off you heal everyday by not doing shit at all. That's kinda how your body works.
oh yeah, i see everyday how my health simply regenerates and my wounds close and heal without me doing anything.

Yes, yes they do (in most cases). Little scratches you might not even notice at all. Of course, if half your leg is cut off, that's something different.

Your body works and defends, dude. Everyday.

This... This conversation is surreal.

And as for your dumb example about the leg

Me said:
Granted, these things are exaggerated in a fantasy world (You're not going to heal everything by just resting),

Also

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resurrection

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lazarus_syndrome

It mainly depends on when you declare people to be *dead*. But, yeah. Happens.

:hmmm:

Edit: You may think Everyday and Everything are the same word. They're not.

hiver

First off you heal everyday by not doing shit at all. That's kinda how your body works.

Yes, yes they do (in most cases). Little scratches you might not even notice at all. Of course, if half your leg is cut off, that's something different.

Are little scratches all types of injuries? Are there no bigger scratches maybe? cuts? lacerations?

How about you cut yourself (make a moderate cut, not a superficial scratch) and then do absolutely nothing about it.

Just let it heal by itself.

Your body works and defends, dude. Everyday.
In a very, very limited manner, ignorant moron.

This... This conversation is surreal.
youre right about that.

Me said:
Granted, these things are exaggerated in a fantasy world (You're not going to heal everything by just resting),
That was the point of quoting that sentence of yours previously.
Which defeats all stupid remarks you made before it.

i.e you dont know shit about medicine or how human body actually works.

Also

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resurrection

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lazarus_syndrome

It mainly depends on when you declare people to be *dead*. But, yeah. Happens.

We are not talking about tricks and wrong diagnosis here.

We are talking about full on resurrection of the dead. As it is used in that kind of cheap pulp fantasy and games.

Edit: You may think Everyday and Everything are the same word. They're not.
you may think strawman arguments bring you points.
they dont.

of course, you may be just stupid.[/quote]

Duraframe300

Arcane
:hmmm:

Arguing something I've never talked about (All types of injuries, while the argument was if it's possible in the first place/And normal sized injuries are the most common if you want to go that route). Make up things I've never said (it defeats nothing I have said before it, since I never said everything heals by itself), arguing a defintion to suit your own needs (and the definition is just coming back to life after death) and then accusing me of using strawhats while using them yourself.

Masterful

Hiver gonna Hiver

Cynic

Arcane
Sure, but it wasn't a fault of the injury system itself. Injury Kits were not that plentiful if I remember correctly (it's been a while).

Backtracking is a penalty. Also, people don't really do that. A single injury wasn't serious, but they could stack up, which added to a feeling of progression and fatigue. I think it's fun and could work much better in a more balanced and challenging game.

I agree with this and thought the injury system was a good idea, of course fucked up by Bioware and their shitty exploitable and shallow systems. Bringing mages back with lower INT meaning they can't cast some spells, or fighters with lower CON so their max HP is reduced could and would have meaningful impacts on the game. Of course it doesn't fucking mean anything if you can just use a bandage to cure it all.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
How to post in the Project Eternity thread, in three simple steps:

1) Ignore imweasel
2) Ignore hiver
3) Ignore Captain Shrek

Any questions?

DraQ

Arcane

1) Ignore imweasel
2) Ignore hiver
3) Ignore Captain Shrek

Any questions?
I'm not ignoring hiver because contrary to popular opinion he often has interesting and smart things to say in between his 'zerking sessions.
It's just that his recent exchange has been disappointingly hurpdedurp.

I'm not ignoring the other two because I can't be arsed to. :smug:

hiver

Arguing something I've never talked about (Alltypes of injuries, while the argument was if it's possible in the first place
What is possible in the first place?

/And normal sized injuries are the most common if you want to go that route).
None of which heal just by themselves and even small superficial cuts will often infect and cause further problems, even death - if they are not treated at all - depending on situation.

Make up things I've never said (it defeats nothing I have said before it, since I never said everything heals by itself),
=>
First off you heal everydayby not doing shit at all. That's kinda how your body works.
I dont see any specifics, or caveats here.

However this statement is taken - it is not true.
Thats simply not how human body works.
It has very limited regenerating capabilities - that require medical knowledge and various medical procedures and "cures" or chemicals - to be able to work even in that limited range that it does.

arguing a defintion to suit your own needs (and the definition is just coming back to life after death)
No, that definition you invented to suit your own needs. The argument, as far as i can see is about resurrection. Not just first aid and difibrillation procedures or tricks by con men, or common mistakes, or accidental cases when people came back after being clinically dead for some short time.

(brain damage because of lack of oxygen and all that, non withstanding)

and then accusing me of using strawhats while using them yourself.
nope.

Youre sentence that i dont understand the difference between everyday and everything was a strawman argument.
regardless of how wrongly you assumed something.

Masterful
Hiver gonna Hiver
ad hominems again? yeah, thats going to work too.

2) Ignore hiver

Any questions?
I have to say that not being bombarded by your super mega idiotic projecting assumptions and inventions of what i supposedly "dont get" every few days is refreshing.
The most mega stupid one was the hillarious idiocy you and brother none jumped into, btw.

of course, you being so retardedly sure in every and each one of those idiotic mistakes you made - now feel retardedly butthurt by my answers and your failures in simple logic or sanity.

but thats not my problem.

Duraframe300

Arcane
None of which heal just by themselves
It has very limited regenerating capabilities - that require medical knowledge and various medical procedures and "cures" or chemicals - to be able to work even in that limited range that it does.

Nope.

Hilariously so.

Infections though, absolutly right. Still an entirly seperate issue.

And you're already proving my point. Which was from the beginning calling imweasel out who said that resting to get better is impossible and is somewhat comparable to flat out ressurection.

On that note, I'm out!

:love:

hiver

What Infinitron and DraQ are saying, is that unrestricted resurrection has far-reaching implications for the setting and narrative. For instance, you can't reasonably have any plot involving an assassination, because the target can just be revived afterwards.
Same goes for the magical healing/resting areas in PE that instantly restore a character's health by just having him sit on his ass while twiddling his thumbs. Makes about as much sense as resurrection.
I'm...
What?
Are you serious with that comparison?

Now... if we look at the crux of the argument here, then its about if the lack of any limits on healing is as negative as resurrection can possibly be.

The answer is NO - BUT.

It depends.
First of all, there are no settings that use resurrection, that applied any sort of reasonable mechanical consequences to it, - or integrated it into the setting. (not even PST did that, since it was "integrated" only into your own little story - you could use it - enemies, or the world did not, as is usual in DnD dumbfucking setting).

Usually, its just a cheap gimmick - an enabled cheat to make gameplay easier for mass market.

The lack of usual healing procedures would be completely bad if there was no limit to it - because thats health regeneration as we know it from AAA shit games.
In PE, you ARE limited by the need of going into your camp or other safe area where you heal over some time.
Now TIME itself doesnt represent any sort of a price or a limit - since the quests wont be time limited, as far as i know.

I think ive read something about enemies "regrouping" or something like that - if you left the area where you engaged in combat without solving the encounter... but im not sure is that actually going to happen or what are specifics of it.
If thats true - its a good thing.
Then going away from combat and spending "time" to heal does have a consequence and a price.

No need to go into super retarded arguments about how humans actually have regenerating fucking health.

Though, of course, claiming that medicine is almost non existent in the setting, or that it kind of exists but... nobody seems to be using it or practicing it in any way we can see in gameplay - IS STUPID.
And detrimental to the setting itself.

or claiming that medicine wasnt known in middle ages or earlier times.
now, of course, since most of you are cheap retards you will jump on this sentence and scream how im saying that middle ages or earlier medicine was the same as modern medicine.

but, you see... thats not what im saying.

:tip of a hat:

go fuck yourselves.

-edit-

None of which heal just by themselves
Nope.
Hilariously so.
Right, right... any actual facts about that or just a stupid, cheap, unsupported by anything, statements?
Infections though, absolutely right. Still an entirely separate issue.
Oh really? thats a "separate issue" now?

So having a nice open cut, bleeding all over has nothing to do whatsoever with infections, blood loss and flesh remaining open?

If it was you you would simply go to sleep, with it right? And it would heal and knit itself by tomorrow.
no need to clean it, no need to stitch the wound - nothing.

and infections have nothing to do with injuries and broken bones are also somehow not included and, diseases too i guess and .... everything, really.

And you're already proving my point.
Obviously. What else?

Which was from the beginning calling imweasel out who said that resting to get better is impossible and is somewhat comparable to flat out resurrection.
resting to get "better" is impossible.

Comparing it depends. . The point is that your counter argument was and is utterly ignorant and stupid.

So ive written a real counter argument for you. See above.
and corrected your spelling mistakes too, while i was at it.
Why cant you use some spelling checker in your browser?

On that note, I'm out!
dont worry, i hear butthurt heals by itself. You just need to rest.

imweasel

Not really, no. The impact of being able to quickly recover from wounds can't be compared to freely bringing people back from death.
Why yes, having your wounds instantly heal in a designated "Sawyer-Circle" does make more sense than resurrection, even though both are actually impossible. Who would have guessed.

First off, its not instantly if you assume they actually rest at a resting area and on the second bolded

YOU ARE A FUCKING MORON

Both of these things do happen.

Secondly you can call things like restarting a heart a *ressurection* if you want. That happens too.
u-mad-bro-huhhuh-bro-u-mad-u-mad-b.jpg

BTW physicians reanimate, they don't resurrect. Learn to use a dictionary, bro.

The difference is that one happens nearly every living moment on the first and only with a shitton of luck on the second.
Humans also have the ability to walk. So I guess that means that walking to the moon therefore also makes more sense than resurrection.

:smug:

Granted, these things are exaggerated in a fantasy world (You're not going to heal everything by just resting), but if you actually think they are flat out impossible or comparable I.... I just don't know.
Just saying that instant healing and resurrection are both completely unrealisitic. "instant healing makes more sense than resurrection and that is why it can be in the game" is therefore a bogus argument. It's just a gameplay and narrative issue.

Not to mention that "perfect healing" for major injuries also does not exist.

Hormalakh

Magister
so i wanted to bring something up that has been bothering me about this new "attributes system." the main issue i'm having is that if i understand josh sawyer's design mantras correctly, he's minimizing a lot of the role-playing flavor from these RPGs. The best example of this being attributes. attributes for a lot of people helped describe their characters better. for example, when you change the values on attributes like intelligence, charisma, wisdom, strength, dex, etc what you're doing is not only creating a combat character for the action portions of the game, you're also defining a more specific character: you're giving him life, in some sense.

so this can play out as the highly intelligent fighter (like Roy from Order of the Stick) or the unwise highly intelligent "wizard" (like Walter White from Breaking Bad). the older D&D games were really good about helping your attributes desribe your character, at least to yourself. This more "stream-lined" and effective combat mechanics that Josh Sawyer is creating is great and all, but I wonder if he's considered the "soul" behind D&D in the first place: being able to "role-play" a character and to role-play mechanically meaningful characters in the game world. what i mean by this is that picking a different portrait and character model does nothnig much more than effective play out as a LARP. attributes are however ingrained in the mechanics and have meaningful role-playing consequences (dumb dialogue options).

I believe we can have the best of both worlds (thoughtful mechanics and effective, unique role-playing characters): i just hope Josh has taken steps towards it.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Hormalakh said:
so i wanted to bring something up that has been bothering me about this new "attributes system." the main issue i'm having is that if i understand josh sawyer's design mantras correctly, he's minimizing a lot of the role-playing flavor from these RPGs. The best example of this being attributes. attributes for a lot of people helped describe their characters better. for example, when you change the values on attributes like intelligence, charisma, wisdom, strength, dex, etc what you're doing is not only creating a combat character for the action portions of the game, you're also defining a more specific character: you're giving him life, in some sense.
Sawyer doesn't really care much for systems that make sense

Maybe Sawyer, like me, didn't care for shit the game didn't recognize. You can roleplay exactly the same character in most games whether you have Cha3 or Cha18.

At least with Sawyer's system, putting points into Intelligence with my warrior has a meaning, so if I absolutely have to larp my attributes, I won't gimp myself doing it.

Hormalakh said:
I wonder if he's considered the "soul" behind D&D in the first place: being able to "role-play" a character and to role-play mechanically meaningful characters in the game world.

I strongly doubt it. Again, I think Sawyer would agree with me that unless the game recognizes it, there's no point.

Hormaloakh said:
I believe we can have the best of both worlds (thoughtful mechanics and effective, unique role-playing characters): i just hope Josh has taken steps towards it.

I believe that if I'm able to roleplay my character through his attributes, that would be really cool and an upgrade from the IE games. I also believe attributes with meaning for all classes are better suited for that, because you can actually have clever fighters and rash wizards.

I'm not fond of Sawyer not going with Pathfinder/D&D, but meaningful attributes offering meaningful choices is something we should all want.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Hormalakh said:
Sawyer doesn't really care much for systems that make sense

Maybe Sawyer, like me, didn't care for shit the game didn't recognize. You can roleplay exactly the same character in most games whether you have Cha3 or Cha18.

At least with Sawyer's system, putting points into Intelligence with my warrior has a meaning, so if I absolutely have to larp my attributes, I won't gimp myself doing it.
The Sawyerian solution is to of course get rid of those pesky things that try to simulate the base abilities of a character, and just have some stuff for your powers to scale from.

I'm not fond of Sawyer not going with Pathfinder/D&D, but meaningful attributes offering meaningful choices is something we should all want.
I'm even less fond of the direction he's taking the system, it's basically going to be something like ATTACKDMG CRITCHANCE HITPOINTS DEFENSE

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom