Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Official unofficial RPGCODEX 2021 GOTY thread. PARTICIPATE NOW! HOOKERS! BLACKJACK! VOTING!

RPK

Scholar
Solasta, I guess.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Chronicles Of Myrtana: Archolos
Urtuk: The Desolation
Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous
Jupiter Hell
Solasta
Trudograd
Encased (eh it was slow year, they can be on the list)

Olinser

Savant
2021, not 2022?

Mkay.

I'll branch out and say Ender Lilies: Quietus of the Knights was a pretty great Metroidvania RPG, one of the best I've ever played.

Loop Hero was also a GREAT indy RPG/roguelite that I thought was amazing and had some really interesting mechanics.

There were a few others that were good and I enjoyed, but not great.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Didn't play many new RPGs this year, so with varying degrees of RPGness:

Persona 5: Royal
Baldur's Gate 3 Patch 8
AI Roguelike
Space Warlord Organ Trading Simulator
Elden Ring
Highfleet

Also, solely because I hate owlcuck's buggy tranny game so much:
KotC2
Archolos
Solasta
Atom RPG Trudograd
Gloomhaven
edit: Redaxium

Last edited:

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
I came for the hookers but now I'm disappointed there aren't any.

Anyways these polls are stupid as it's just a popularity contest, great little known games will never be above highly popular ones. I did a similar vote on another site and Cyberpunk 2077 was game of the year, needless to say I opted out of that site ever since.

The only RPG I played from 2021 is Pathfinder, so should I vote for it because it's the only game that qualifies? This voting is dumb.

PS: No I didn't vote for Pathfinder, too many trannies.

S.torch

Arbiter
People, save those Elder Ring votes for the 2022 poll. It was released this year.

NieR Replicant ver.1.22474487139...
Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous
Deltarune Chapter 2
Ender Lilies: Quietus of the Knights

I probably forgetting some good indies. But my head is a mess.

Alex

Arcane
I don't think I've even played any of these games...

Edit:

I was going to try Acholos soon, but Shadows over Loathing came out first. I should probably try that Atom game as well...

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Turns out many games I'd like to list were released on fringes of 2021, either late in 20 or early in 22.
So it leaves the following, in alphabetical order:

1. Atom Trudograd
2. Black Legend
3. Curse of Feldar Vale
4. Dungeon of Naheulbeuk: Ruins of Limis (DLC/Expansion released in 2021, gives an excuse to list it again)
5. Pathfinder: WotR (you may not like it, but that's how the peak BG successor looks like)
6. Urtuk

Dexter

Arcane
Might as well post this here too. I usually play shit released years ago, so I mostly ignore these "vote for recent-ish game" polls. This also doesn't mean that I necessarily finish them or like them enough to find worthy of putting on any such list. Just out of curiosity I took a look at what kind of games that would vaguely count as RPGs I played in 2021 on Steam (not counting things like Demos or Betas like D2: Resurrected):
Fallout 4 (played a bunch of hours, released in 2015)
Gladiator Guild Manager (Prologue in 2020, still in Early Access)
Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes (Released in 2011)
BEAUTIFUL DESOLATION (RPG-ish, released in 2020)
Disgaea PC (Released in 2016)
Monster Hunter: World (Released in 2018)
Magicka 2 (More CoOp Action, Released in 2015)
Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara (Released in 2013 on Steam, Originally released 94/96)
The Dungeon of Naheulbeuk: The Amulet of Chaos (Released in 2020)
Darkest Dungeon (Released in 2016)
SpellForce 3 Reforced (Released in 2017)
Battle Brothers (Released in 2017)
Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk (Released in 2018)
From those I actually liked Dungeon of Naheulbeuk, Beautiful Desolation, Labyrinth of Refrain and I guess maybe SpellForce 3 enough that I might deem worth voting for, but all of them are disqualified for various reasons (mostly they weren't released in 2021).

And whatever I might have overlooked or forgotten about or started again in 2022. I might finally get around to playing Cyberjunk later this or early next year, not because I especially want to play it, but because now that I've got a new graphics card (4090) nothing but Cyberjunk and Red Dead Redemption 2 come to mind when thinking of "Graphical Benchmarks" to test it on regarding recent releases. This year I've mostly been playing a lot of Lost Ark, but even those are 2020 and 2022 games and wouldn't qualify. Other recent RPGs that come to mind that I really liked like ELEX or Kingdom Come are also years older (2017/18).

I don't have any interest in most of the regular 2021 picks like Soylasta or Cringefinder 2 for obvious CURRENT YEAR-related reasons and ignored them on Steam so they don't pollute my browsing experience. I guess Turdograd and Encased look kind of interesting, albeit low budget, but if I ever get around to them it will probably be years from now. It'd usually be one or two titles I played (and might not have finished) from any specific recent year and I would usually not call them GOTAnything unless I REALLY liked them for lack of comparison, that's why I tend to ignore these kind of polls.

Given the trend regarding quality of most recent CRPG and general game output I don't see this changing any time soon.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom