Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher Officialsky Witcherovda 2 Impressiovna Threadskaia

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Over 100,000 views..73 pages. Another TW2 topic has 60,000 or more views...

For a game widely regarded by the Hivemind as an irredeemable piece of shit, the Codex certainly loves to DISCUSS! and read about it at every opportunity.

Suchy

Arcane
The hivemind actually likes it. Skyway and the bitchers are just louder.
'Skyway and The Bitchers' should be a band name...

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well I was sarcastically referring to the VD 'review' thread here where all of a sudden it seems that TW2 is a piece of shit and every faggot that can is taking a boot to it and taking a boot to VD as well for the yuks. I know that it's been received very well here, in spite of its quickly identified faults and limitations. That's why it's kind of ridiculous to now read pages of derp with a few staunch defenders.

Seems that TW2 has a reverse Bioware effect: whereas Bioware games are ridiculed and after a time it's revealed that the bulk of the codex secretly enjoys them 'for what they are'(tm); most seem to have enjoyed TW2 but only with the correct urging from others they are now comfortable in actually hating it.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
I liked TW2's ending. :') The option of simply letting Letho go fits perfectly with Geralt's schtick of not getting involved with politics, and with the final scene of him simply walking away. Neat.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Commie man why so mad about VD's review? It's just two guys opinions deal with it :lol:

Storyfag said:
Screens or it didn't happen. I watched the fucking outro 100 times just to spot the medallion. I didn't see one.

:? You're right, I just went and watched it and couldn't see the medallion...for some reason I thought he had a snake medallion that was slightly different to the ones used in Witcher 2. Don't know why I thought that.

made

Arcane
commie said:
Well I was sarcastically referring to the VD 'review' thread here where all of a sudden it seems that TW2 is a piece of shit and every faggot that can is taking a boot to it and taking a boot to VD as well for the yuks. I know that it's been received very well here, in spite of its quickly identified faults and limitations. That's why it's kind of ridiculous to now read pages of derp with a few staunch defenders.
I think I may be to blame for that. I might have called TW2 game of the millennium one time too many, and now the more righteous Codexers are hell-bent on sticking it to the imaginary potato faction that supposedly believes CDPR can do no wrong. Oh well. Choices and consequences.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
made said:
commie said:
I think I may be to blame for that. I might have called TW2 game of the millennium one time too many, and now the more righteous Codexers are hell-bent on sticking it to the imaginary potato faction that supposedly believes CDPR can do no wrong. Oh well. Choices and consequences.
VoD: Made, that fucking guy, can you believe him?
VD: Who does the fucker think he is? Posting everywhere that TW2 is a game of the millenium. Makes me sick!
VoD: We've gotta teach his some respect.
VD: Train tickets?
VoD: I have a better idea! Let's "review" the game. Show him what we think of it. Teach him a lesson he won't soon forget.
VD: So, it is true. You are that cynical in real life.
VoD: It's him or us, bro. Him or us. Do your thing.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Vault Dweller said:
made said:
commie said:
VD: Who does the fucker think he is? Posting everywhere that TW2 is a game of the millenium. Makes me sick!
VoD: I have a better idea! Let's "review" the game. Show him what we think of it. Teach him a lesson he won't soon forget.

:lol: :thumbsup: :troll: :salute:

But frankly, VD after reading your review I still don't know if the game is worth a damn. So once and for all, here and now I pray you tell me without resorting to any kind of sarcasm - would you recommend me buying it? Can I fork that $50, no regrets, if I am looking for some quality entertainment, regardless of it being Role or Roll playing game?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Good question. I don't know. The Codex is clearly split on the game. Some praise it and love the fuck out of it. Some are unimpressed or disappointed and have to force themselves to keep playing. Clearly, I belong to the second camp. Clearly, there is another camp, another way of looking at the game, a way to enjoy it.

I can't assure you or anyone else that you will not enjoy it, I can only tell you why I didn't.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
As long as you do not expect a true RPG and don't mind a more action-oriented design as well as console elements, you should be fine. The action isn't the greatest I've seen but it's decent, and some encounters can be tough; customising Geralt is fun; the writing and dialogs are for the most part excellent, with little touches that sets the characters apart from each other; the setting does grimdark and mature the right way; the various consequences are pretty much only flavour but they are still enjoyble to see.

While I ultimately wish it was more of an RPG than an actioon game, it is easy to enjoy despite some dubious design decisions. If you want a hardcore RPG, you better give it a miss. And if you're really on the fence, wait a year for the price to drop.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Vault Dweller said:
Good question. I don't know. The Codex is clearly split on the game. Some praise it and love the fuck out of it. Some are unimpressed or disappointed and have to force themselves to keep playing. Clearly, I belong to the second camp. Clearly, there is another camp, another way of looking at the game, a way to enjoy it.

I can't assure you or anyone else that you will not enjoy it, I can only tell you why I didn't.

Ehh... I guess that we've arrived. Frankly this statement was exactly the reason for my overlongish tirades. Or rather, the lack of it. You see, after reading your post it seems that I misinterpreted the ending of your review as positive

The Witcher 2 is undoubtedly a product of love, which is a rare thing these days, so in the end it doesn’t really matter what kind of game is it, how linear or non-linear it is, and whether or not the choices matter. Most importantly, it is a game worth playing.

Even though the faults are glaring, the game is more than the sum of its flawed parts, which is what makes it an enjoyable experience overall, whether you play it as RPG or as an action-adventure game.

CD Projekt didn’t build on the Witcher’s formula and design foundation. Instead they’ve tried something different, which, sadly, has shown the first sign of abandoning the hardcore audience and going after a larger market. While business is business, we can only hope that CD Projekt will go back to making RPGs and will pick more appropriate inspirations for the third game than Heavy Rain and Goddamn Batman.

I thought that part of the article was written in a serious tone, having taken into account what you said earlier in a number of discussions - that it was quite a good game. Now that I know that you were not, in fact of that opinion, renders my point about the article being inconsistent moot, at least for significant part. Still, your review would do with a better final remarks. Frankly, I failed to see anything ironic here, which as it was pointed out to me before, appears to build your conclusion. I trust that was not exactly because I lacked mental capacity for it, but also due to the fact that it is harder to convey sarcasm in writing. Anyway, thanks to both of you VD and VoD. Although I cannot agree with most of your criticism now, and I still find some parts of it lacking, it was an enjoyable read overall - really rage inducing ;)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Vault Dweller said:
Some praise it and love the fuck out of it. Some are unimpressed or disappointed and have to force themselves to keep playing. Clearly, I belong to the second camp.
If I recall correctly, you tried The Witcher twice and were never able to make it past the second chapter. So the fact that you were able to complete it twice (I think) would make it a better game wouldn't it? Similar to the ME/ME2 deal.

Mrowak said:
due to the fact that it is harder to convey sarcasm in writing.
Well well well. If it isn't Mike Laidlaw.

made

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
made said:
commie said:
Oh you always with that irony thing of yours. I'm never sure what to believe. One day you have to teach me how it works.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Act 3 wasn't great, but damn, pretty much every choice/fork gave me a long pause for thought, even killing/sparing Sile. Game is a long way off perfect, but damned if the choices haven't given me more consternation than anything I can remember in a long time :thumbsup:

Utterly "storyfaggotry", of course, as the degenerates here would put it. I don't expect many real consequences. I'm just really digging the feeling of events unfolding in the gameworld. Much like... Fallout, say.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
It's interesting how good a job the game does of getting you to develop Geralt from a story point of view. I went in looking to be as neutral as possible, but by the end of the game, I was looking back over the people I'd chosen to kill - Henselt, for one - and looking at how involved I'd really become in guiding the politics of the North. Led to me letting both Sile and Letho go, because I realised I wasn't any better than they were by that point.

Plus, Letho was a bro in the end.

Very storyfaggy, but what can I say? I've been playing games from the polar opposite end of the scale (Wizardry, M&M), it was a good diversion and I ended up genuinely interested in how the story played out. Can't fault it on that angle at all.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
One word - "Hangover". This quest was so Polish, I rate it:

: x : x : x : x : x : x : x : x : x : x /10

It took the game to a whole different level for me, then again I'm Polish.

Phelot

Arcane
WhiskeyWolf said:
One word - "Hangover". This quest was so Polish, I rate it:

: x : x : x : x : x : x : x : x : x : x /10

It took the game to a whole different level for me, then again I'm Polish.

Is that the one of the drunk soldier you need to get that coin from?

TBH, I was desperate to get that moron to stop screaming "ORIN HERE BOEEEEY!" over and over and over again. I don't know what it sounded like in Polish, but man was that annoying.

The quest itself was fun, but I normally don't like it when you have to babysit characters that long.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom