Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Old/obscure/underrated JRPGs

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Kind of amazing how striking the art design and production quality is compared to other early gen SNES RPGs.

kaisergeddon

Liturgist
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
After finishing the game you can enter Alice Mansion, talk to Alice Soft staff and unlock some stuff.

Any RPG that has a dev room as an easter egg or unlockable is peak SOVL to me. SaGa Frontier, Final Fantasy IV, Illusion of Gaia (Illusion of Time)... even Ultima: Runes of Virtue II. Many more I'm not mentioning, but they'll all equally better for having them.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Played Shinseiki Odysselya 2 (1995)

hA9qZN6.jpg

pGSGb3a.gif

At the end of the first game after an epic journey through space and time the protagonist returned to godhood and unleashed another Great Flood to cleanse the world from demons and evildoers. She lost track of some of her guardian god party members in the process.

This game continues from where it left off. As expected at the end of the first game, the jooish princess’ son is one of the main characters. The main party members each have their own chapter of introduction, they come from different times and locations: the jooish prince and pseudo-elf gurl from 509 BC, a Roman gladiator from 64 AD and Prussian knight from 1192 AD.

Basically each character has their own personal motivation to travel together. All meanwhilst goddess waifu and her friends of first game are trying to undo their mistake and resurrect the 4 guardian beasts they were tricked into defeating in the first game.

Aside from the main party if you explore a bit you can find a fifth non-controllable “exotic” party member like a kung fu cyclops, fairy, djinn, etc.

The main villain is kind of a time-travelling Irenicus, a sorcerer trying to exact revenge out of extreme butthurt. But of course the demon king of the first game is back too, orchestrating everything behind the scene again. In the end his plans are thwarted by pseudo-elf gurl party member who turns out to be goddess waifu’s daughter. Overall it’s a very worthy sequel.

7yoxk7N.png

phVUbRO.png

MvCSeIW.png

vGub4N9.png

EqJkLvs.png

Mue2zvk.png

MT8BT3C.png

vChfrIZ.png

tGsOdUv.png

D1DICCL.png

hAuEyYd.png

2MvfmXl.png

BM8hKLo.png

LMPoqVl.png

eVXMQsy.png

8gbmTYf.png

vupDj8R.png

GTYyBzZ.png

WaTLq5Z.png

kIkIPxm.png

Qt6DH5Q.png

YrMokQC.png

Lo2lY7E.png

KS9J1kp.png

rzUonvC.png

n8OzaNv.png

oRHTqyg.png

lzNsMAS.png

yih0xNF.png

OP9WR4q.png

jjmL225.png

TIziWTF.png

E6pNgYL.png

gFUYL44.png

ti1KRej.png

ZtBzeER.png

d4LS67X.png

XALJqOe.png

5OoRSkb.png

eVZvY0O.png

0O2xHSx.png

fpmDsIP.png

2y8iFdk.png

XnQnGec.png

Qmju0Pi.png

OeS4fmp.png

bunJadf.png

g9SdRWH.png

PVcJo9a.png

56UZoDH.png

eq6iy9Y.png

qxavMeM.png

DrApABh.png

poy4pcE.png

kUbc3V7.png

am5iDzf.png

XwO138i.png

RGrf6As.png

FrWRdxn.png

r4FgNJD.png

qAPrkDa.png

bhQDcFk.png

I4OLHFf.png

vbMa8DO.png

nz1kIty.png

x3Hy2AG.png

qrlxOmK.png

hH5SOK3.png

31nXeIu.png

EKhOKTN.png

u13UUYh.png

Fv1ChVf.png

U4g1ohW.png

8Cu6m0J.png

rboUI89.png

tCHJpkz.png

EXeHKft.png

F3GszU6.png

4WoEFDp.png

7TZp6WH.png

tg0zAKn.png

I6GdXF0.png

2m2QtfO.png

aEj12m6.png

zDqNEh2.png

PLTfQcg.png

AtTGWTB.png

I8LjW4n.png

ThM1uhb.png

btWQCGJ.png

IPD0Pts.png

3NpTcXT.png

f7Pxacg.png

gAHsXOB.png

HYg1huR.png

BXpYlXR.png

ctLwdW7.png

9KLnvNV.png

j8M2nVU.png

alQpxOU.png

Dl9JoXK.png

usQdPHP.png

doRCmX5.png

9tK9ccM.png

XV70S2B.png

d0F8VO3.png

lFw1BXy.png

AWwldLi.png

twqGiHC.png

v4JlPQP.png

4HluBuS.png

18Qtj2s.png

ywyYaiw.png

nKnoMXm.png

88KplDp.png

OUdryJW.png

RseCXMl.png

ELu68sO.png

ShUP8wh.png

iAOiFAh.png

oq8o44v.png

yfpEClO.png

lIXXR8w.png

CVfj9O3.png

xmE4i1e.png

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
As long as people have spare time and are comitted to translating, there is hope for us non-MOONSPEAKERS.

(i blame gamesack for the term "moonspeak." It hust stuck with me).

turkishronin

Arcane
Played Shinseiki Odysselya 2 (1995)

hA9qZN6.jpg

pGSGb3a.gif

At the end of the first game after an epic journey through space and time the protagonist returned to godhood and unleashed another Great Flood to cleanse the world from demons and evildoers. She lost track of some of her guardian god party members in the process.

This game continues from where it left off. As expected at the end of the first game, the jooish princess’ son is one of the main characters. The main party members each have their own chapter of introduction, they come from different times and locations: the jooish prince and pseudo-elf gurl from 509 BC, a Roman gladiator from 64 AD and Prussian knight from 1192 AD.

Basically each character has their own personal motivation to travel together. All meanwhilst goddess waifu and her friends of first game are trying to undo their mistake and resurrect the 4 guardian beasts they were tricked into defeating in the first game.

Aside from the main party if you explore a bit you can find a fifth non-controllable “exotic” party member like a kung fu cyclops, fairy, djinn, etc.

The main villain is kind of a time-travelling Irenicus, a sorcerer trying to exact revenge out of extreme butthurt. But of course the demon king of the first game is back too, orchestrating everything behind the scene again. In the end his plans are thwarted by pseudo-elf gurl party member who turns out to be goddess waifu’s daughter. Overall it’s a very worthy sequel.

7yoxk7N.png

phVUbRO.png

MvCSeIW.png

vGub4N9.png

EqJkLvs.png

Mue2zvk.png

MT8BT3C.png

vChfrIZ.png

tGsOdUv.png

D1DICCL.png

hAuEyYd.png

2MvfmXl.png

BM8hKLo.png

LMPoqVl.png

eVXMQsy.png

8gbmTYf.png

vupDj8R.png

GTYyBzZ.png

WaTLq5Z.png

kIkIPxm.png

Qt6DH5Q.png

YrMokQC.png

Lo2lY7E.png

KS9J1kp.png

rzUonvC.png

n8OzaNv.png

oRHTqyg.png

lzNsMAS.png

yih0xNF.png

OP9WR4q.png

jjmL225.png

TIziWTF.png

E6pNgYL.png

gFUYL44.png

ti1KRej.png

ZtBzeER.png

d4LS67X.png

XALJqOe.png

5OoRSkb.png

eVZvY0O.png

0O2xHSx.png

fpmDsIP.png

2y8iFdk.png

XnQnGec.png

Qmju0Pi.png

OeS4fmp.png

bunJadf.png

g9SdRWH.png

PVcJo9a.png

56UZoDH.png

eq6iy9Y.png

qxavMeM.png

DrApABh.png

poy4pcE.png

kUbc3V7.png

am5iDzf.png

XwO138i.png

RGrf6As.png

FrWRdxn.png

r4FgNJD.png

qAPrkDa.png

bhQDcFk.png

I4OLHFf.png

vbMa8DO.png

nz1kIty.png

x3Hy2AG.png

qrlxOmK.png

hH5SOK3.png

31nXeIu.png

EKhOKTN.png

u13UUYh.png

Fv1ChVf.png

U4g1ohW.png

8Cu6m0J.png

rboUI89.png

tCHJpkz.png

EXeHKft.png

F3GszU6.png

4WoEFDp.png

7TZp6WH.png

tg0zAKn.png

I6GdXF0.png

2m2QtfO.png

aEj12m6.png

zDqNEh2.png

PLTfQcg.png

AtTGWTB.png

I8LjW4n.png

ThM1uhb.png

btWQCGJ.png

IPD0Pts.png

3NpTcXT.png

f7Pxacg.png

gAHsXOB.png

HYg1huR.png

BXpYlXR.png

ctLwdW7.png

9KLnvNV.png

j8M2nVU.png

alQpxOU.png

Dl9JoXK.png

usQdPHP.png

doRCmX5.png

9tK9ccM.png

XV70S2B.png

d0F8VO3.png

lFw1BXy.png

AWwldLi.png

twqGiHC.png

v4JlPQP.png

4HluBuS.png

18Qtj2s.png

ywyYaiw.png

nKnoMXm.png

88KplDp.png

OUdryJW.png

RseCXMl.png

ELu68sO.png

ShUP8wh.png

iAOiFAh.png

oq8o44v.png

yfpEClO.png

lIXXR8w.png

CVfj9O3.png

xmE4i1e.png

Isn't ペルシャ "Persia"?

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Played Yume maboroshi no gotoku (1993)

2ZJIse9.png

The main character of this game is Oda Nobunaga, aka Oda Nobunigga, who is in many strategy games but not rpg games.

The historical Nobunaga was forced to commit suicide during something called the Honnoji incident by the traitorous Mitsuhide Akechi.

0xTN4Vw.png

The premise of this game is that Nobunaga did not in fact die and returns from death. After his return, Nobunaga is quite mad and no longer gives a fig about ruling Wapan and leaves it to Hideyoshi and Ieyasu - lovingly referred to as “saru” (monkey) and “tanuki”. Instead he wants to conquer the rest of the world. But he keeps getting delayed into actually getting down to business.

Of course, he still inadvertently ends up sorting out the squabbles of Hideyoshi and Ieyasu, like a father breaking up his fighting children. The main villains in the game are Mitsuhide and a western devil/ang moh/southern barbarian called Cabral. Both are so frightened/butthurt by Nobunaga’s return that they turn to demonic powers in order to stop him. And one cannot really blame them.

Gameplay wise the game is like Dragon Quest. There are classes like samurai, ninja, Buddhist/Catholic priest, Taoist each with unique skills and abilities.

At times there are strategy battles, but they’re about as superfluous as in Suikoden games.

In the end, Nobunaga ends up saving Wapan and the rest of the world. He does not die but disappears, chitlording somewhere else.

At the end it is also revealed Nobunaga somehow impregnated the cute ninja gurl (Hattori Hanzo's little sister) during the journey. Of course, you don’t get to see Nobunaga’s (pixelated) hyperweapon, which is just as well. It wouldn’t fit on the cartridge anyway.

muHjJhk.png

YRhaNHg.png

q8n0s8i.png

evHYPYv.png

byZm9vl.png

aNDIR2Z.png

WBiNPjT.png

DOxTyfg.png

fqUWB7P.png

2LRhCF2.png

YzAqhgF.png

USML8Ou.png

rSZg4Oe.png

4H5CIcL.png

GymoeWs.png

FZPLpYd.png

G2AObbx.png

YTf1k1f.png

XEVi08s.png

PQ0Xgbc.png

IyJzIZN.png

IfYbN8g.png

T9VFMox.png

mla4EaA.png

Bvw7Unr.png

SEvA6Vi.png

MRlkS7g.png

OJjI1V7.png

OEfHCuW.png

q0GA6cT.png

Ibxdm8c.png

cextIKs.png

lQNrlXc.png

rKYKgsM.png

f11noQq.png

mg68ucN.png

0SAbDZL.png

UWE8OTp.png

L9KIkwx.png

qhtXLvW.png

rHU17Fm.png

mPmfayh.png

rwFkaWU.png

GCZUqsC.png

GYVYPOh.png

yYQquEY.png

zjbeUzi.png

zrgpIui.png

Hv2c1hw.png

CmlGojm.png

FqqkiuV.png

6O6Oaz4.png

z9vSert.png

rCSUMEC.png

fFOCpnT.png

PgKyUnK.png

tmXronV.png

KtaFdv0.png

muUFJrS.png

37m5C0E.png

5awESm0.png

Sxz8ERB.png

VWBkHbF.png

pkeqOWU.png

SsgBZMG.png

sJl10Um.png

0xM9Dj6.png

VpQCkcG.png

FUOed3P.png

Lx3lgBA.png

wQRR9nR.png

UB9OmAk.png

WwKpGTY.png

eOGajyP.png

owhHdKG.png

GLzFIzB.png

1dn6fM0.png

NxAiJuS.png

rFQAY95.png

YjMnlnO.png

EcJrmaj.png

rHlXQ5t.png

HXtvt2Y.png

Uhhx4hv.png

7DWiPO6.png

ReWqama.png

Jinn

Arcane
Tell me that one is translated?

Of course not. Almost every post in this thread is by abnaxus and a game you will never be able to play in English. It's hard to describe the feeling I have when I see a new post in this thread, but it borders on ambivalence, annoyance, and mild interest.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Played Airs Adventure, Sega Saturn exclusive (1996)

5ba7aP6.jpg

FBRrYw1.jpg

The main character of this game is an errant noble playboy called Henry (who looks like gurl actually) who is saved from having his head chopped off at the very last moment by pretty princess (Corinne) for an unknown reason.

Soon after Henry saves the pretty princess by going St George on a dragon and the two are transported to the fairy kingdom in the sky, summoned by the fairy queen to perform an important task. They need to beat some sorcerer but when you meet him he turns out an absolute nothing, like the Wizard of Oz. Instead some ancient evul appears out of nowhere to prolong the game.

Overall the story and setting feel like a Brothers Grimm fairytale.

Combat is very simple since there’s only the princess and Henry in battle for magic and melee respectively. The princess’ magic is related to three (comic relief) fairies who also level up.

For an early 3D game it isn’t really fugly at all. The game’s music is very nice.

After beating up the final boss I got graphical errors that ruined the ending parts.

9iC1hQE.jpg

tgubYBo.jpg

ru3LPom.jpg

UrPHTR3.jpg

5dDXWT7.jpg

EZYZUPI.jpg

X3J8pjA.jpg

yTivtcr.jpg

f0v5dPc.jpg

QDuLOOc.jpg

q32v7ts.jpg

p0CTWcW.jpg

FQqU9TL.jpg

50tHYNq.jpg

BOdRe4e.jpg

wKOoZmr.jpg

dvAWlSk.jpg

rXTz5uf.jpg

KGZLDW3.jpg

o924Eoz.jpg

zXqVGQw.jpg

YRoDgCB.jpg

GUYeNCC.jpg

uZdzACj.jpg

ULhQYDL.jpg

PTxxKQZ.jpg

GPQXoO1.jpg

5c6t2z5.jpg

7OBb0bR.jpg

sunMgGy.jpg

vDbevsg.jpg

EFIvAWA.jpg

Aju2uf5.jpg

vPTLrsw.jpg

7GpSxXV.jpg

XKwQCvk.jpg

TnFhtDd.jpg

Yqtpmol.jpg

gLfH7Hi.jpg

VAvi3hg.jpg

NkihzlN.jpg

rY2kMlG.jpg

0wdXTkw.jpg

onOsT0X.jpg

IH3C7UW.jpg

Q39tssS.jpg

RG3xHhg.jpg

NiXtzsl.jpg

o80h5Bc.jpg

gz9RQNm.jpg

ZHZOb2d.jpg

WRuV4jN.jpg

jxHsD5y.jpg

G41LE92.jpg

ht2Inos.jpg

IIveNUb.jpg

o7IoTa7.jpg

jRUt20j.jpg

7sbjsnz.jpg

fSTvbDU.jpg

kKeAYwO.jpg

AebEey2.jpg

168IyYp.jpg

noUosy5.jpg

HSrPIbK.jpg

AGss9WZ.jpg

hhFUVhA.jpg

fF1B2KQ.jpg

UnNSp5b.jpg

1KE1ObP.jpg

7kR9fGH.jpg

KGcN4pO.jpg

b6tf12g.jpg

z2OTl6S.jpg

9WtWPXR.jpg

o6dPRlF.jpg

H6VD1Xr.jpg

tf6qRid.jpg

vKati1a.jpg

3dgRQgx.jpg

C7Qkr9V.jpg

xHDGGVo.jpg

I340OYo.jpg

33wNGYY.jpg

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Played Last Guardian (1995)

It’s a strategy rpg with gameplay similar to Nana eiyuu monogatari or Days in duel. Unlike those games this is a p. long game and quite story driven.

Characters are not (phaggit) Elves nor furries, but classic therianthropes (and one human, which is an important plot element). Some characters’ ability to shapeshift can be a game changer in certain battles (some of which are quite hard).

The story is p. gud and characters are likable. It’s a nice surprise after dropping a couple of games that looked good beforehand but turned out not fun to play.

ymsRBIA.gif

K61034r.gif

OwBTnTC.gif

YgIyfDa.gif

HxpCiws.gif

bRZRhkU.gif

WRb0L4a.gif

GeRmREA.gif

gp0ML9p.gif

iBXGFMl.gif

tFOIPsq.gif

4INACKw.gif

a41LmiO.gif

ZprPUoy.gif

RBpYyPP.gif

qAiHMzE.gif

ALeWK1V.gif

BGU6ysl.gif

szyiQGI.gif

49VLvPd.gif

3spvho7.gif

Y9CCOmS.gif

XU2hag8.gif

fw2TVR2.gif

QrgeJmX.gif

dB3PuVs.gif

Wfg8u21.gif

thwKZHw.gif

MY5UwOt.gif

3UJqpnF.gif

bs13PFo.gif

kCdENpt.gif

ModOlHJ.gif

mvfEsp5.gif

zC2XatN.gif

98DlPOO.gif

dNV9XUN.gif

buioWyV.gif

jgKg3TJ.gif

TYo0NYt.gif

YEsINkW.gif

4EKLxwP.gif

AcP6qe6.gif

ar4HGnt.gif

erkCIac.gif

gRTrm7K.gif

ac9kJyI.gif

WZtwkSf.gif

TJLuezB.gif

5UHWgws.gif

wmDrkWR.gif

xnXBkDb.gif

JG618NR.gif

0g6NDxP.gif

TsRE08M.gif

3uaPJFa.gif

X12JA6c.gif

VZgGWxk.gif

BVtQZaA.gif

Wx0mUTE.gif

zLgMTQi.gif

e8RXvVX.gif

XEvaplg.gif

MdTrlP9.gif

VA68wvL.gif

5cX5Hgy.gif

x6clguI.gif

ZVw3Jqe.gif

aRfd6BX.gif

0OXhhxR.gif

HZXYDkQ.gif

ZVMbrKz.gif

3CFzyr9.gif

yqxcPob.gif

I knew it was a PC-98 game immediately. The way Japanese developers utilized the "PEGC" GPU just resulted in incredible visuals.

I have no idea whether PEGC was flat-out superior to VGA (likely), or if the peccadilloes and limitations of PEGC simply resulted in aesthetically pleasing uses of the available palette (possibly in addition to being superior to VGA).

SVGA lasted for about fifteen seconds as a standard before it disappeared, so it's hard to compare.

Derringer

Prophet
As long as people have spare time and are comitted to translating, there is hope for us non-MOONSPEAKERS.

(i blame gamesack for the term "moonspeak." It hust stuck with me).
Moonspeak and moonrunes are jokes that are about as old as Sailor Moon.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Played Benkei Gaiden for PC Engine (1989)

64y7fFG.jpg

The game takes place shortly after the Genpei war at the end of the Heian period (794-1185). Ironically I believe I may have written about wanting an rpg game set in Heian period.

The Genpei war ended the Heian period and started the Kamakura period (1185-1333). There’s an epic tale about this war called Tale of the Heike featuring legendary fighters like Minamoto no Yoshitsune (whose ghost actually appears in Yume maboroshi no gotoku as well) and Benkei.

0xZY982.png

During the game you resurrect Benkei who becomes party member, hence the name of the game. Yoshitsune becomes party member right before the end.

The main character is an orphan boy called Kijaku with special powers who was found in a basket and raised by mountain priests. When demons invade when he’s grown up he must save the land by finding the three legendary Imperial artifacts and learn the truth about his existence in the process (spoiler: he’s the child of Shizuka Gozen and Yoshitsune).

The way you go about finding the three artifacts (sword, mirror and jewel) is fairly freeform.

ggQyIyz.png

Gameplay wise it’s like Dragon Quest. It’s overall p. difficult as your party’s stats are capped at 255 while the endgame bosses have thousands of hp. Plus you can carry only 16 items, with about half of those quest items that can’t be dropped and never disappear from inventory. Also buffing/debuffing spells and important silence spell last only one turn so must be applied again and again which is a pain in the ass. In the end this game is memorable for setting + bestiary originating from Wapanese folklore/mythology.

GKPLXIb.png

phpRwbW.png

IXwW0pM.png

1t64H9R.png

Xu5OxyU.png

BMbvACL.png

dqeY8uf.png

38DGP5h.png

svNMUKP.png

ZICsLbs.png

Ky2mlDV.png

GY9MkT1.png

Q2Y4uVO.png

saepxbg.png

sVCQGu5.png

epxkjLQ.png

uSXUXPV.png

HhZcA91.png

TypzKxZ.png

rz8Ok1B.png

PHLpKC1.png

qywa8mE.png

fSrMauo.png

PfvhlIf.png

vST2SGJ.png

UBfkebk.png

utCalaE.png

ZzYu27S.png

KUJLd7Z.png

vCbnajQ.png

6YcqXA1.png

YIWKYo3.png

tT7DiPU.png

bEk7G6p.png

qASG3Hx.png

S8WkciS.png

HiBqlGG.png

3dA9YPU.png

kmNyUzw.png

24t32iS.png

zrGHsSY.png

WLeeAyv.png

EsUqkCn.png

nAsa14W.png

o99QHzS.png

NE2UTHT.png

LTb8YEf.png

WUSqD0p.png

o3yvHwf.png

TJvSbC6.png

BJeksAc.png

zJXo2oE.png

j7HMgoU.png

NrCJ1C1.png

0g9D2Hr.png

rP2wW8M.png

QLhfW4c.png

dfDeA1S.png

IKIIAUB.png

xy2EgIw.png

r8wGmVC.png

bPXzXF2.png

QBODNUB.png

hVmC9GC.png

6UC0d6W.png

oyXzMyn.png

1nQznWH.png

Dm2GN6r.png

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Played Sword World SFC (1993)

498946-sword-world-sfc-snes-front-cover.jpg

498924-sword-world-sfc-snes-media.jpg

Sword World PC is one of the best rpg games on PC98, so how does the console version compare?

Well, it’s largely the same except that there is only a party of five this time (there’s a bonus slot for a quest related party member), less cities and some party members are missing, like the blue hair priest/bard. There are less scenarios and the ones hauled over from the pc version seem to play out a bit differently. I focused mostly on other cities this time compared to the PC version and indeed saw some new stuff.

There were some really interesting dungeons with puzzles in the PC version, in the console version there’s nothing like that. At least waifu Nightshade is still around.

Admittedly the main story is much better incorporated in the console version, in the pc version the game kinda ends out of nowhere. There's a semblance of a plot this time around. After the final battle you see your party GTFO like at the end of FFVI.

I don’t remember the music in the PC game, but the console version has a gud soundtrack.

It’s still recommended to play the PC version, but console version has a sequel…

bcz5ZZ3.jpg

BX2V6ZO.jpg

ZpIMRTS.jpg

SYK04S9.jpg

JBsGWL7.jpg

V2qkzBp.jpg

jvtl0wl.jpg

5vvT8ob.jpg

5UliOFH.jpg

lkavUlb.jpg

Ev1fSsP.jpg

rlwK5cS.jpg

OBWOfSs.jpg

Y4u9gab.jpg

5RJG0iq.jpg

iuo1Apv.jpg

fKroX7c.jpg

e02cI3L.jpg

jgUsFsV.jpg

D9yJ9VR.jpg

AZmG9QB.jpg

cLPkrj6.jpg

lwchkCn.jpg

qGo9Gzz.jpg

pTVoFga.jpg

Bks3k0F.jpg

Xo6LGQD.jpg

Q8kTBGq.jpg

UzV5WgB.jpg

JKX0J8s.jpg

lfqKkcJ.jpg

TYbcCm2.jpg

rGDqlUw.jpg

hJkjkOg.jpg

1y02QC1.jpg

ABkb5IM.jpg

gABBTkb.jpg

CWYeiwV.jpg

k1rIbVc.jpg

ylIsFXK.jpg

SPOzlJX.jpg

dgD5Hrx.jpg

hqpiMBp.jpg

1CCRTun.jpg

FE8qQJB.jpg

JC4LYcM.jpg

Mf4Rj9T.jpg

6pR7G1p.jpg

bw1ID47.jpg

QsBBZV3.jpg

uGFSezl.jpg

qL4EGQI.jpg

KXkoHQe.jpg

5SQQhx4.jpg

Gaz0787.jpg

nShAnLE.jpg

aCMo89y.jpg

mpCGx2D.jpg

KS0SOO4.jpg

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Graphics lost a lot of the PC98 version charm.

Also, was it already raised in this thread that Minsc seems to appear in the PC98 one?
Fn1EUSr.gif

Last edited:

grundo1561

Novice
I've been lurking in this thread for a while, just wanted to say that it's inspired a deep longing that will never be satisfied.
I wish I could play through the Tengai Makyou games, especially Manjimaru.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Played Elden Gate, late gen very quirky PS1 rpg game

sXNnkgs.jpg

Apparently the game director was Koji Igarashi (literally who)

After the release of Symphony of the Night, Igarashi was director for the 2000 PlayStation role-playing game Elder Gate. Igarashi says that he was motivated to create the game because he had played other heavy story driven games and after a long break had lost motivation to continue. He says he wanted to make a game that could be played at any time, and could feel fresh every time you played it. He wanted each player to have their own unique experience when playing the game. The game received a 22 out of 40 score from the magazine Famitsu.

The titular gate is connecting two different worlds, Roswell and Eldora. The adventure begins when somebody is siphoning energy off the gate, draining away all life on Roswell. The main character is an apprentice shaman (for lack of a better word) who must collect spirit stones to repair the gate.

The party members in the game are elemental spirits but end up not as unique as one’d expect: with how the character system works you can theoretically build them all exactly the same (the game has a job system combined with slotting spirit stones with which you can get special abilities, increase attack/defense etc.).

The light and darkness party members aren’t in the manual, wtf is with that

pBcJE1J.jpg

umrYXdm.jpg

The game areas are procedurally generated by means of a sequence of numbers you can input into the gate, but it doesn’t affect how the main plot develops (not that there is much of one).

In every area you basically delve through dungeons, collect enough spirit stones (which can be slotted to gain more attack/defense or gain special abilities) and find the portal back to Roswell to power up the elden gate. All the while you collect new party member and the main plot continues glacially.

The way you come across new party member may be randomized as well, since really only the lightning chick I met in a somewhat unique way. And later in the game somehow I came across a unique weapon for her (she’s supposed to use a whip but there are only swords for her, wtf is with that).

Each time you use the gate to warp to a new area on Eldora, you dump all your experience points and start a new scenario at level 1. All accumulated experience and spirit stones eventually are recovered for the final battle.

The game gets a bit repetitive but it’s never really boring. If only there was a plot. Main character flies an eagle in the intro movie and fights the doggie boss in a mountaineous area… that stuff never happens in the actual game. The music at least, is excellent.

kdg5YNO.png

YEkrjKx.png

Ul8DrpD.png

M0LuZjm.png

oWftz79.png

t3Wnuvv.png

qgqcRWI.png

DuY4iVY.png

A5MADdU.png

9eRa8wJ.png

EypjcPm.png

STrcO0k.png

2SNiHfl.png

InBCUtR.png

PYzsGCd.png

6i4ateh.png

J5o6Lyk.png

kWr1bmt.png

SZHPTsk.png

FmD65pk.png

fZ1oSP7.png

aqTZ9RT.png

LtuM1bm.png

r5rBUil.png

wwaOClh.png

wePMrtd.png

CS0ioLi.png

416p0bO.png

3fVUF4D.png

nLAXkj4.png

exCkH19.png

bZ0bE8y.png

vMiysz8.png

gVXUQkX.png

LOLNIAF.png

roarnWK.png

wB3tLjG.png

jL4fWHj.png

w6RAD59.png

OS1LStN.png

xdQB2sf.png

IjCK6mB.png

dm9qver.png

saHsNOB.png

fctitUc.png

BH7z4fk.png

nW1oMbv.png

NGSc7Aj.png

x33ojYi.png

AO8HRTJ.png

8rImq5Q.png

kNNimVJ.png

vGNQ1BZ.png

tq4ymDd.png

IM11L1C.png

EoLWYQf.png

g2kkf7J.png

udQF1Xb.png

6eflbAW.png

DHr7SMO.png

f7smgzs.png

bfBAWVr.png

Zp0FP2V.png

rhoTDAl.png

euZRmmj.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom