Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

4X Old World - historical 4X strategy by Civ 4 designer (formerly 10 Crowns)

Discussion in 'Strategy and Simulation' started by LESS T_T, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Starwars Arcane

Starwars
    This excellent game is getting released July 1st. Unfortunately only on the Epic store for now.

Highly recommend the game though.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2021
    • Brofist x 2
    • +20 Social Credit x 2
    • It's a matter of time x 1
    • decline x 1
    • meh x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. covr Prophet Patron

covr
    I've been checking on this every two months and it is an amazing 4X game, almost on the level of Civ4 with expansions. I hope it gets more biomes with some DLC's

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Catacombs Magister Patron

Catacombs
    Waiting for Steam release

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Despair Despair x 2
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    Seeing the announcement of World War Z: Aftermath reminded me, this game probably won't come to Steam, ever.

This, along with World War Z, is one of the few games reportedly did lifetime exclusivity deal with Epic. Kinda understandable considering that they were left with multi-million debt after the fall of their former publisher Starbreeze. Epic probably helped them pay the debt and funded some portion of the development.

Saber did a trick by releasing World War Z: Aftermath, practically an expansion of World War Z, on Steam. I'm not sure if Soren Johnson, probably less of a businessman, will try the same thing, but who knows.

• Despair Despair x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Niggerino Savant

Niggerino
    I accidentally found out about this. Should release today and it looks really good. Certainly better than "humankind"

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Guess I'll just pirate it then.

Fuck Epic and their exclusivity deals. They can go suck a dick.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Maxie Guest

Maxie
    who the fuck thought ck2 simsfaggotry is what was needed in civ

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Niggerino Savant

Niggerino
    It's probably a much simpler mechanic than what we have in ck2.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Beowulf Arcane

Beowulf
    Very likely, from what we've seen so far.
    But on the other hand, it's a far better empire builder.

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Starwars Arcane

Starwars
    It's not as in-depth as ck, no. You can also turn all that off in the options and play it like, well, just a 4x game so to speak.

Might be better for some people as the events/dynasty layer does add some randomness to the game, which might feel problematic if you're really into just optimizing your playstyle.

• Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. spectre Arcane

spectre
    I like how a lot of the stuff in this game just flows naturally and logically. You see a forest or scrub nearby? Chop it down for resources and let it grow back naturally.
    Want to train units? Spend a fuckload of that military resource thing. Or, build them a barracks to train, or send them out to fight. You'll get a discount with exp.

I was thinking about turning it off entirely, decided not to just yet. Figured it intertwines with the rest of the game's systems so much it'll probably break the game.
    On the upside, it does is prevent "empty" turns you know from Civ etc., where you just click through the "end turn" button waiting for a bar to fill.

One problem I have with this is that the whole dynasty layer is simply distracting, while I'm not entirely sure you're getting enough bang for micromanaging it,
    especially when sometimes you're just one roll away from your prized heir getting a bad trait, instead of a good one. Granted, I've barely scratched the surface on the game's mechanics,
    but I think the idea is that even these bad traits can lead to useful random encounters so it all evens out in the long run.
    If so, my problem would be this: if it evens out in the end, it only serves to muddle the waters.

This uddling the waters would probably my biggest complaint about this game, though it may be due to my lack of experience. So far, playing a bit with a few factions,
    there wasn't much of a difference between them. In fact, the biggest differentiating factor between playthroughs seems to be the pool of available families and which three you pick.

While the interface does a pretty good job at being informative and making sure you don't miss important shit, one thing I'm still coming to terms with is how each family has their own icon and colors,
    spawning characters, cities and units with the same color scheme. Given that you typically have three of those, it further adds to the visual clutter on the screen.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Starwars Arcane

Starwars
    The game is definitely "muddled" by the character system and all of that. Given that it spawns a lot of randomness in the game. I think one has to go into it expecting that, while the mechanics are pretty damn tight, you will never be able to plan out a perfect game so to speak. Sometimes the game overtly rewards you, sometimes it will punish you etc etc. If someone is completely adverse to that, then it will likely ruin quite a bit of the game.
    Overall, I really like the flavour it brings though there are certain events that can happen in a game that I'm not fond of how they're designed. I don't think the balance is perfect, or even close to it to be honest, but I find it to be very enjoyable most of the time. And I like that it makes the game its own unique thing. But one definitely has to be on board with the whole "roleplaying aspect" of it, and the fact that it does interrupt the pure 4x experience so to speak.
    Most games I try to play optimally, but there is some fun to be had to roleplay the leader a little according to their traits as well.

The families and which 3 you pick is definitely a bigger choice than which nation you decide to start with. I'd agree that the interface can feel cluttered at times but I got used to it pretty quickly and I prefer the information being "up front". Most of it does matter in some way, such as what family a particular unit is a part of. I love the interface overall.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Uff, I'm put off by the dynasty system something fierce. I'm still scarred and traumatized since that time when a buddy made me try CK2. What a bunch of vapid faggoty BS, no wonder it's so popular in this day and age.

I think imma follow Tubers and streamers carefully before I jump in. And maybe wait a year for a more balanced experience, hopefully on Steam or GOG.

• retadred retadred x 2
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Someone has issues Someone has issues x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Starwars Arcane

Starwars
    :happytrollboy:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Zboj Lamignat Arcane

Zboj Lamignat
    So, apart from the "dynasty layer", does this game differ significantly from nu-civ? Cause it looks like nu-civ, just with less fidelity but not completely shit-tier art direction. Which seems pretty meh.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Niggerino Savant

Niggerino
    And what do you think of the game overall? Is it better than civ5?

^ Top  
  17. spectre Arcane

spectre
    Being less shitty than the nu-civs is not exactly a high bar, but at the moment it gives me a much better first impression than CiV and CiVI.
    It's a bit like playing CiV locked to the ancient era with some autistic mod (that I need to figure out) and a bit of CK2 slapped on top.

Unfortunately, at some point during a playthrough, I just get tired of all the fucking popups.
    Yes the prinz knocked out someone's teeth out during training, don't wait on me to find a fuck to give.
    Hatshepsut's daughter was being an ass to her Ma at a party.
    You must decide, who do you like more Persia or Rome?
    Oh, and there's a guy out there who needs to get married... ffs, just fuck off with this shit and let me do the ruling.
    I guess the game wants to drive the point home how being the king is a hell of a thing.
    To be fair, there's an option in the menu to tone this down, as well as a bunch of other things.
    I just might, but I wanted to see how the game plays out "as designed".

Speaking of which, I tried turning off the entire CK bit (turn off characters was the option, I think), and the game became.. weird.
    Soulless and gutted that's how I'd describe it, especially since I played a few games beforehand. I think the CK bits are just too ingrained in the system.
    As a matter of fact, it felt a lot like playing CiV this way, and I wasn't really on board for this.

One thing that really rubs me the wrong way about the scale is how units just zip around the map due to the orders system.
    (as long as you have orders (a type of special resource) left, you can move around a unit a few times, until it gets "exhausted")
    I'm all for a bit of maneuvering, but it feels a bit a bit too flexible when axemen and slingers just pop out out of nowhere.
    The scale is different from CiV, lot more space between cities and it there's a bit of getting use to, etc. etc., but so far
    it feels a bit like Civ4 endgame with railroads everywhere.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Niggerino Savant

Niggerino
    I think the popups are supposed to have some profound in-game effect later on. I'll try the game myself soon

^ Top  
  19. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/old-world-review/

• meh meh x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Niggerino Savant

Niggerino
    I almost trashed the game for poor performance. Then i found out a process which shouldn't have anything to do with the game was starting with it and using 50% of my CPU. And finally i found out some fucking asshole embedded a coin miner into the codex installer.

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Rage Rage x 2
    • PIRACY IS WRONG PIRACY IS WRONG x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. TemplarGR Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Bethestard

TemplarGR
    I had tried the early access a few months ago, tried again the release version today, not really impressed. Not bad, but nothing special either. The PC Gamer review is a joke. This better than Civ VI? Get out of here. You can hate Civ VI all you want, but when you say Old World is better, you are just pathetic.

^ Top  
  22. Starwars Arcane

Starwars
    To be honest, I think the performance does need improving. There are some bits of the game that just doesn't run well (certain UI elements in the late game for example) and should've been fixed for the main release.

It's perfectly playable for me now but it could and should have been better.

^ Top  
  23. Niggerino Savant

Niggerino
    Well i had enough.. The pace is really slow, and nothing really excites me here. The orders system doesn't really improve the gameplay. You tech reaches at most the early middle ages so your civilization doesn't change much throughout the game. The combat is ok, pretty offense focused. Having more units and out maneuvering the enemy is key. For some reason every single religion in the game spawned in my cities?? I collected 5 or 6, no idea what happened there. The whole improvements stuff is similar to civ6, with adjacency and other bonuses. I don't really like that system. Map is pretty.
    Goodbye Old World.

• Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Gamezor Learned

Gamezor
    I pirated this and gave it a shot for 50 turns, but kinda bouncing off it. The characters and all the popups detract from the overall gameplay and systems, but I can imagine Spectre is right and it would be weird and souless without it. It's a pain in the ass tracking all the families and relationships and what not, and the pop ups are annoying pretty fast. I did like the overall design of the systems, resources, how everything interacts, but it's annoying to play. It would probably be sheer hell to be min maxing.

^ Top  
  25. covr Prophet Patron

covr
    This is a fantastic and a very deep game, a true homage to lat '90 gaming when devs were not afraid of experiment and complexity. I haven't played this more than a couple of minutes since 2020 and gave it a couple of hours yesterday. The game has developed vastly since early access. It feels complete now, in almost every aspect. It is a demanding product, not for ones expecting cheap and quick pleasure - you need to invest some time to learn the basics and to understand the differences between your usual 'Civ-like' routine vs how does The Old World should be played. And it should be taken slowly, with a glass of good wine or something stronger. With a clear head and...who knows, maybe a bit of larping/role playing. As Gamezor mentioned - this is not a product for mini-maxers, which makes the game difficult to approach for competitive players.

It might be a superb base for next games/dlc's. I can imagine it during the 10th Century of middle Europe. Or during the WWI. Or even a sci-fi/fantasy game.
    Right now it needs some more biomes, different landscapes and possibly some major events, changing the nature and predictability of gameplay.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.