Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM OpenXcom Thread

dehimos

Augur
Piratez Mod.

catfood

AGAIN
I have built a second base and and built two hangars in it, but when I try to purchase aircraft the game tells me that I don't have any available free hangars for them. WTF? Did anyone else encounter this bug? I can't even transfer my old planes to it, I keep getting the same message.

Gord

Arcane
Hm, I had no issues putting up a new base with working hangars.
Third one is under construction, let's see what happens there.

I've tried the Lukes Extra UFOs mod, which adds more UFO layouts to the existing ones for variety.
Unfortunately it seems to have a few bugs, as it crashed the game for one (crashed) small UFO encounter once the battlescape should have come up.
Fortunately the mod can be enabled/disabled on the fly.

catfood

AGAIN
I have built a second base and and built two hangars in it, but when I try to purchase aircraft the game tells me that I don't have any available free hangars for them. WTF? Did anyone else encounter this bug? I can't even transfer my old planes to it, I keep getting the same message.
Send a save file to the developers along with a bug report? Or send the save to me and give me a chance to fix it. :cool:
I reloaded a save and the problem seemed to have fixed itself. Weird bug. If it was a bug at all.

dehimos

Augur
I don't know what weapon... but I lost my amazon team.
cMJHoM8.png

Gord

Arcane
It's been a while since I played vanilla, so I'm not sure if it's always been like that or if it's a OpenXCom thing:
Grenades seem to have a 100% accuracy and huge range. They are real harbingers of doom - throw a 'nade across half the map, it will always land exactly where you want and blow up the aliens (or your guys, since aliens like to use them, too).

They've always been a bit too accurate for their blast radius, and OpenXcom I believe fixes the bug with them being thrown with a bad arc that hits ceilings (which greatly reduced their range if the thrower was too strong, since the arc would hit the 4-level limit on open terrain). Shouldn't be 100% accurate, but usually within 1 or 2 tiles unless it hits something on the way over. And your throwing accuracy goes up pretty quickly.

Gord

Arcane
Hm, right now it really seems to be 100% accuracy, or at least almost. Never had a grenade miss the targeted square, even for larger distances.
Looking around on their forums there seems to have been a bug, but the topic ended with it being allegedly fixed back in January. Maybe a regression or is it just RNG screwing with me?

I definitely recall semi-often missing by a square or two a few months ago when my ammo bearer was lobbing rockets to my sniper, forcing me to move the sniper to pick up and reload. Haven't had the chance to give the release version a spin, could be a regression. Might try it out specifically with your worst accuracy recruits.

Gord

Arcane
I did some simple testing by starting a custom mission, equipping lots of grenades and simply having my guys throw them around.
Aside from the fact that most soldiers do have a relatively high throwing value (>60), throwing is eerily accurate. Every grenade lands exactly where I want it.
Only differences between different soldiers come from different max. throwing range, but this is resulting only in a hard range limit.

titus

Arcane
Patron
Any must have mods for this? Alien Armoury Expanded, Extra Pockets, Terrain Pack and the two alien additions(Warspite and Gazer) look pretty good.

Gord

Arcane
Lukes Extra UFOs is nice, but has a few bugs. Some encounters will crash with the mod activated.
You can however deactivate it, play the encounter in vanilla and enable it again afterwards.

Derek Larp

Cipher
Any must have mods for this? Alien Armoury Expanded, Extra Pockets, Terrain Pack and the two alien additions(Warspite and Gazer) look pretty good.

Heavy Laser Rebalance makes it actually useful.

The subgun and sniper-rifle from the Men in Black mod are good additions to your starting arsenal.

I also like the M79 grenade launcher.

baturinsky

Arcane
This games rapes me on second easiest difficulty. I can mop up a small crash site while losing half of my crew, but terror missions are impossible. Am I supposed to skip them until I get plasma and armor?

Dayyālu

Arcane
This games rapes me on second easiest difficulty. I can mop up a small crash site while losing half of my crew, but terror missions are impossible. Am I supposed to skip them until I get plasma and armor?

7/14 losses on a Small/Medium scout are kinda of harsh. But you'll improve soon.

Terror missions against Sectoids with the starting equipment are doable but quite difficult. If you want to avoid some of the negative points, get to them and then dust off. I never tried in my ongoing game, but in the old ones it was better than leave the Terror sites unattended. Five cyberdisks are too much for standard weapons to handle.
Floater Terror missions are doable even with lacking equipment and subpar troopers. Seek cover try to find open places: the Reapers are quite weak and they are HtH only. Use incendiary ammo and grenades. Avoid AP ammo.

Snakemen terror missions... aren't doable with starting equipment. Avoid spoilers (if you are not already a UFO vet) and enjoy the first one. You will love them. Stay away from the buildings.

I often skip armor and go for Plasma Cannons. The Laser Pistol and Rifle are good sidearms thanks to the unlimited ammo. Armor is not economical in the beginning: better lose a few rookies than expensive and slow to produce equipment. Armor (even powah armor) is not as good as it seems in old UFO.... it can save your troopers from a stray shot or two, but an agent in a bad spot is a dead agent.

If you want to spoiler yourself, the UFopedia is quite good for a wiki. But why should you do so? It's the best thing to discover new wonders and meet new peoples unexpectedly!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom