Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM OpenXcom Thread

Efe

Erudite
Yea I just noticed that too but I dont remember legionof1 being hostile to dioxine in any way.
could be a maneuver to dodge woke accusations

baturinsky

Arcane
Yea I just noticed that too but I dont remember legionof1 being hostile to dioxine in any way.
could be a maneuver to dodge woke accusations

Yeah, something like this. Community is alive and well on matrix.org

Actually, we should have left Discord long ago, as it is woke central now and serverwide bans of dissenters is a common thing.

baturinsky

Arcane
Yep! Months of work possibly gone, because it was all in Discord servers. Supposedly the reason is because Discord is about to be bought by a major company, and the owners are nervous and jumpy. Weren't the devs behind Discord outed to be pedo-furries or something though?
Discord also has no privacy, your messages are monitored all the time and you can be banned at any time for no reason, as proven here.
Discord was just for chatting about gayfagloliniggers, so no amount of "work" has been lost.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Well, now it's clear that discord is for f*****s n*****s and t******s, they'll have to find a better media, which is a good thing, I always hated discord, what a fucking pile of trash, no swear words and their retarded "did you know we have a hidden fake snake look alike game" "did you know why it' called discord?" "Did you kn-<closed the browser>

Now, why don't we make some room for oxce modders somewhere?

baturinsky

Arcane
Well, now it's clear that discord is for f*****s n*****s and t******s, they'll have to find a better media, which is a good thing, I always hated discord, what a fucking pile of trash, no swear words and their retarded "did you know we have a hidden fake snake look alike game" "did you know why it' called discord?" "Did you kn-<closed the browser>

Now, why don't we make some room for oxce modders somewhere?

Ban on swearing I am ok with. Banning entire server for some people swearing without even giving a warning first is outright Kafkian.

baturinsky

Arcane
I like the idea of inviting OXC modders here. We are a very free community, and we love X-COM. They are free to express themselves here, and Codex can be a bolthole for them away from the Woke Warriors.

I approve the motion.

Thanks, though it's not that a problem to find a place to talk. It's just we did not expect Discord to be so fascist.
We have Discord-equivalent now on Matrix.org, but a bit hesitant to invite people now, before we sort this mess between ourselves.

If someone pm me, I'll give invite to on-topic room there. It's strictly to discuss game content itself, but you'll also see me and other people there and can talk to them through DMs if you have something "off-topic" to tell.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
When will I be able to get an interceptor in Xpiratez? I'm getting the feeling I should be taking down some of these ships flying over my airspace and not just letting them go. Surely I'm not supposed to pay the bills with random missions alone?

Efe

Erudite
my info is old and rusty but here goes
for initial hits you research "we need craft weapons" and go from there to steal a weapon from bandits (research with exclamation mark unlock missions)
researching tiny drill and following that path should get you a codex craft and weapons and option to buy certain other crafts.
afterwards you get more stuff as you unlock shops, from prizes from exchanging bounty hunting tokens (manufacture the prize and research it)

most small civillian ships dont have guns, you can shadow them and pick them off when they land. game specifically sends 3 academy vessel first month which you can take over like this.
must be a rough start if you didnt get those captives.

you can research "airballs" which suck hard but are useful in taking down civillians.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
most small civillian ships dont have guns, you can shadow them and pick them off when they land. game specifically sends 3 academy vessel first month which you can take over like this.
must be a rough start if you didnt get those captives.
Oho, clever. I would have thought that a real good way to accomplish nothing, since I remember trying that once and basically nothing happened. Seem to remember one of the little tips you get telling you not to do that, guess they must not be the best source of information...

panda

Savant
When will I be able to get an interceptor in Xpiratez? I'm getting the feeling I should be taking down some of these ships flying over my airspace and not just letting them go. Surely I'm not supposed to pay the bills with random missions alone?
Piranha is pretty good, costs only 500k and can bring down medium sized ships(with top pilot). If you unlock bounty hunting during first month, then on third/fourth month you can get one easily. For initial weapons and ammo you should rely on one of the bandit camp missions though, those with 25mm cannon.

Also you'll get helicopter with 14mm machinegun for just following certain research path, but IMO this one is pretty trash and research cost is too high for it.

lightbane

Arcane
I like the idea of inviting OXC modders here. We are a very free community, and we love X-COM. They are free to express themselves here, and Codex can be a bolthole for them away from the Woke Warriors.

I approve the motion.
I swear Diox and the guy behind XFiles had accounts for the Codex already IIRC.

Efe

Erudite
Maybe DarkUnderlord would like to invite them over. GD could sure some minority :racist: views like
Who, what, where now?
An openxcom mod's community on discord was banned and because it was a small and shared community two other mods along with openxcom was greatly affected.
baturinsky said they are goign over to matrix.org and are going to be invitation only though I think it is suicide for any publicity. Dio should have a public board for people to stumble upon.

quoted the relevant post
They guys responsible for ban has responded here https://www.reddit.com/r/Xcom/comments/sk9dgc/oxce_community_nuked_from_discord_dont_use_discord/

List of crimes:
So shocking that Discord banned people who either engaged in or silently enabled behavior such as:

• Posting memes about the death of George Floyd

• Posting memes about Jewish conspiracies

• Posting just straight up swastikas and pictures of Hitler

• 140 hard Rs in one channel alone

• 39 of those being dropped by Dioxine himself, the admin

• Two members, one a high ranker, telling a presumably trans person "You will never be a woman" after they questioned why such behavior is tolerated on the server

• Generally mocking the idea that trans people should be respected as human beings

• One of the most prolific racist "shitposters" not only having free reign, but having the Contributor rank.

Screenshots of crimes:

https://imgur.com/a/8XyWPZg

Compilation of Dioxine's finest quotes specifically.

17tocb.png

I guess morale is, never talk politics on Discord, don't post memes, and don't say swearwords such as "jew", especially in the open.
Unless maybe on your worst enemy's channel, in hope it gets exterminatus too.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I approve the motion.

Thanks, though it's not that a problem to find a place to talk. It's just we did not expect Discord to be so fascist.
We have Discord-equivalent now on Matrix.org, but a bit hesitant to invite people now, before we sort this mess between ourselves.

If someone pm me, I'll give invite to on-topic room there. It's strictly to discuss game content itself, but you'll also see me and other people there and can talk to them through DMs if you have something "off-topic" to tell.

Does that require another program and login?

Efe

Erudite
It looks to be an open software. there are multiple clients and servers that host it. Installed element and looks and works a lot like discord. will test once baturinsky sends invitation

baturinsky

Arcane

I approve the motion.

Does that require another program and login?

Matrix is a network, element is one of that network's client. It tries a lot to look and feel like Discord, but there are some quirks.

Gostak

Educated
Oh man, I played OpenXcom before (I did not take note of at which commit I was at back then when I pulled in the latest changes this week, alas).
I remember it being hard, sure. Quite hard at that.

But boy, oh boy this is rock hard, fear inducing shit! >_<
And I only chose the one up from Beginner (Veteran?) and have nades go off instantly on.

Ironman as always, however at times I kill the process (the right way) to turn fate just a little bit in my favor.
One of the two (three, four?) occasions I did this, this made the difference between losing a ground assault on a landed small UFO with my first floater encounter of this playthrough
and offing the last floater dude with my last pixel dude (who in total offed 4/5 in that mission) instead of vice versa. Or losing my last interceptor (ramikin rebalance).

Here a fellow sufferer that was not afraid of cringe on the net:

And this is definitely chuckle-worth reading material: https://www.matchstickeyes.com/2012/10/08/x-com-that-which-kills-us-makes-us-very-dead/

I shall list my used mods and my current gripes with the game (and partly the mods) later on, too.
Currently active mods:
- Aliens_Pick_Up_Weapons v1.0
- UFOextender_Gun_Melee v1.0
- UFOextender_Psionic_Line_Of_Fire v1.0
- XcomUtil_High_Explosive_Damage v1.0
- XcomUtil_Pistol_Auto_Shot v1.0
- hqsounds v1.0
- OpenXCom_Unlimited_Waypoints v1.0
- XcomUtil_Starting_Defensive_Improved_Base v1.0
- XcomUtil_Statstrings v1.0
- NewMemorial v1.1
- Raven v1.01
- amiga-psx-fonts-small v1.1
- BasicArmorPediaUFO v1.0
- commendations v3.2
- support-drones v1.1
- t_SPIN03 v1.0
- Plasma_Breacher v1.0
- Skystriker v1.0
- dart-rifle-mod v1.6
- ironfist-dropship v1.4c
- retaliator v1.0
- Enhanced maps v01
- Expanded_Terror_Reworked v1.2 Final
- ufo-vanilla-variants v1.3
- CMPV v0.5
- Expanded_Ubase_Reworked v1.3 Tactical Maze!
- 4nations v1.0
- solar-039-s-new-ufos v1.4
- ramikin_rebalance v1.0

However maybe you can advise me on my current mission: Ground assault on a landed large (very large even I think?) UFO, I only brought my ten available pixel dudes
and had luck stepping out of the skyranger thus far (offed one sectoid with a good HE heavy cannon shot) but my last such mission on a small UFO with six dudes (cf. above)
makes me very anxious here.

Equipment I brought is something like this: The one Heavy cannon with two HE clips (1 of 'em loaded) and one incendiary.
most dudes carry a pistol and one or two grenades.
I brought two proxy 'nades or so, quite some medikits and one or two scanners. Ah, when I went for screens I recalled the surplus equipment in the skyranger.
A rocketlauncher with a loaded default rocket and three more small ones it seems. Another HE cannon clip and two AP ones. Another 4 smoke 'nades and a plasma pistol which I cannot use yet (I think, clip is still being researched).

Pics (only for 30 days):
718045199501ca7b9ed0bbe1a1a2846ed59a2dd733b3c1b763143c9c7f714c0117e03a51.jpg

98779109a67ed3ad01a2df00174ae31db192954d41e134c34ade112f0adda6beb3b7d0a0.jpg

01636307f4b18163feca71f995da10ac784941b2999fb2900295220ba20e61eec698f735.jpg

901553110f10bb49e8cb2a2f2a627cb6aa56947afe69e3aae164d8de30128878407c9c46.jpg

Last edited:

Gostak

Educated
The ground assault on that small UFO with the floaters had me go WTF with no LOS for shooting at times in the craft.
So after seeing it in here (OXCE has that off-center enabling shooting feature) I am now compiling that.
I just hope aliens do not benefit from that (apart from when I may misjudge my chances at hitting, I will make use of the FPS screenshots for sure).
Enabling the use of even more mods is another plus.

I wish the tranquilizer mod had an autopsy research requirement. That is why I am not playing with it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom