Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM OpenXcom Thread

Cael

Arcane
XCom 1 doesn't allow you to open doors without going THROUGH them first. Which means you are already face-to-face with the alien and any move is retaliation time. You pray it is only one and you have a rifle in hand and not a pistol.
Yes, I'm assuming openxcom.

Again, no reason to ever use a rifle since autocannon is better. Autoshot rifle is incredibly risky at a few tiles away where you might only hit once or twice.
The weight of the autocannon makes it difficult to do my usual blitzing combat style :P

AFAIK openxcom AI is based on reverse engineered Xcom AI with some bug fixes. Though some of these bug fixes do make the game easier. e.g. aliens will no longer just get stuck and go dormant, which was awful to happen on the big complex TFTD missions. This makes motion scanner a lot more reliable to flush them out.

robinox

Educated
Yes it should be reverse engineered, OXC devs put a lot of effort into it. From my experience, it can be more competent than original's at times and less competent at other times, so more or less on par with it and I think it is unfair to dismiss it as not as competent.
Apocalypse is massively complex and even the original team struggled with it AFAIK, so it's understandable that recreating it in your spare time is very difficult.

Demo.Graph

Liturgist
No idea. Judging by the fact that Dioxine et al. hid the political forum several days before that... some fag probably whined about them being cishet racists or something.

baturinsky

Arcane
ekBFNnq.png

kFik4TR.png

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah, why I keep wondering why everyone uses discord. Seems better to just create an IRC channel or something.

Efe

Erudite
nothing wrong with using social media, just dont put your personal information on it.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
is there a way to play this fullscreen with less blurriness in the UI ? I have a 1920 X 1080p TV but selecting 2X scale or whatever makes texts & fonts slightly blurry or looking too pixely.

baturinsky

Arcane
is there a way to play this fullscreen with less blurriness in the UI ? I have a 1920 X 1080p TV but selecting 2X scale or whatever makes texts & fonts slightly blurry or looking too pixely.
Yes, there is a choice of filtering mode somewhere in the settings.

orcinator

Liturgist
Apparently some fag with a grudge reported the entire server, discord doesn't even have a ban appeal process and I doubt they'll oblige given dio said the gamer words.

lightbane

Arcane
Yep! Months of work possibly gone, because it was all in Discord servers. Supposedly the reason is because Discord is about to be bought by a major company, and the owners are nervous and jumpy. Weren't the devs behind Discord outed to be pedo-furries or something though?
Discord also has no privacy, your messages are monitored all the time and you can be banned at any time for no reason, as proven here.

baturinsky

Arcane
They guys responsible for ban has responded here https://www.reddit.com/r/Xcom/comments/sk9dgc/oxce_community_nuked_from_discord_dont_use_discord/

List of crimes:
So shocking that Discord banned people who either engaged in or silently enabled behavior such as:

• Posting memes about the death of George Floyd

• Posting memes about Jewish conspiracies

• Posting just straight up swastikas and pictures of Hitler

• 140 hard Rs in one channel alone

• 39 of those being dropped by Dioxine himself, the admin

• Two members, one a high ranker, telling a presumably trans person "You will never be a woman" after they questioned why such behavior is tolerated on the server

• Generally mocking the idea that trans people should be respected as human beings

• One of the most prolific racist "shitposters" not only having free reign, but having the Contributor rank.

Screenshots of crimes:

https://imgur.com/a/8XyWPZg

Compilation of Dioxine's finest quotes specifically.

17tocb.png

I guess morale is, never talk politics on Discord, don't post memes, and don't say swearwords such as "jew", especially in the open.
Unless maybe on your worst enemy's channel, in hope it gets exterminatus too.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Yeah, why I keep wondering why everyone uses discord. Seems better to just create an IRC channel or something.
Because people are lazy and don't want to make accounts for forums, and instead prefer to be in hundreds of Discord servers. Other people want to be where there are people, which is Discord servers. I don't care for it anymore than you do, but it is what it is.
On-topic, having not played X-COM for many years, how screwed would I be starting Xpiratez or any of the other mods?

Efe

Erudite
You'd be okay as long as you read the ufopedia. it has a lot of pages already unlocked at start and more follows with initial researches that tell you everything you could need about game mechanics

just dont do easiest difficulty cos it disables psi and maybe some other stuff, which would probably suck when you realize it after committing hours into a campaign.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
This Xpiratez thing is pretty good, much better than I thought it would be and I thought it would be good. Its interesting the way the meta has changed, and kind of funny to see the way things remain the same. A bunch of people on the other side of the planet are paying me protection money, and yet I have to find a way to get my hands on weaponry made later than the Boers War. :argh: (I already have some, I just find it funny)

baturinsky

Arcane
Btw, now that woke warrior is harassing and spamming OpenXCom forum mods in order for them to eject Dioxine.
Funny thing is that Piratez community is like 2/3 of entire OpenXCom community.

Any idea what can be done to screw up that guy? Not because of spite, but to scare that shithead off.

lightbane

Arcane
It's not enough to have blown up the work of both XFiles AND Piratez, now they go after Diox in his own forum because wokes are vicious abominations. Make security copies of both games just in case, people.
Apparently Dio is no longer a moderator of the forum of the game he fucking made.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom