Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline OSR Games - Official thread

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Heh, glad I avoided the LotFP scene. It just never smelled right to me, "Finnish" or not. Although I guess I might have the core rulebook somewhere since my dice supplier was practically giving it away. Might have given it away myself, can't remember.

Re: Zak S, I have Vornheim on my shelf. It has some useful tables but the EDGY layout and art makes me roll my eyes a bit every time I peruse it. Which is not that often.

Sacibengala

Prophet
Heh, glad I avoided the LotFP scene. It just never smelled right to me, "Finnish" or not. Although I guess I might have the core rulebook somewhere since my dice supplier was practically giving it away. Might have given it away myself, can't remember.

Re: Zak S, I have Vornheim on my shelf. It has some useful tables but the EDGY layout and art makes me roll my eyes a bit every time I peruse it. Which is not that often.
I like lotfp a lot. Not the edgyness, but the system is very solid and some of the supplement material are very good. And artpunk or not, I like the Zak S. stuff. It's overrated in some aspects, but he is very creative.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Without LotFP I never would have stumbled onto some genuinely (non-edgy) creative and innovative things that have all gotten use and re-use at the table: Scenic Dunnsmouth, Thulian Echoes, A Thousand Dead Babies, Lamentations of the Gingerbread Princess, Gnomes of Levnec, all by Zzarchov Kowlolski and his Lost in the Wilderness encounter generator and The Price of Evil haunted house toolkit are all top-shelf modules or supplements. Plus Jeff Rients' Broodmother Skyfortress is one of the better GM's guidebooks you can own.

Morblot

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut

A Thousand Dead Babies

thinking.png

---

I've seen people praise Scenic Dunnsmouth before. What's it about? And what's so great about Broodmother Skyfortress?

nikolokolus

Arcane

A Thousand Dead Babies

thinking.png

---

I've seen people praise Scenic Dunnsmouth before. What's it about? And what's so great about Broodmother Skyfortress?

A Thousand Dead Babies is about a witchy cult in a small backwater town that have been ritually sacrificing infants to an ancient pagan goat-god for hundreds of years and it's up to the players to suss it all out. "Oooh, edgy!"

As for Scenic Dunnsmouth, it's a village/adventure generator that uses playing cards and a drop table to randomly generate villagers, the plot hook and some of the complications that are going on there. So even if your players are assholes and try to read ahead they won't know what's going to happen (and it makes it highly reusable). Broodmother Skyfortress is an adventure about a floating castle that is floating about the countryside and randomly dropping giant monsters that fuck shit up, then disappear into the night. It's also about learning to let players fuck up your setting and learning how to run a "living world" and gives a bunch of advice and provides some handy tools for creating a setting that is meant to be played in from the ground up.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This was years ago, and there is a cautionary tale there that, I think, is worth telling.

Here is how it goes:
  1. In the early 2010s, James Raggi established himself as not just an author, but publisher of OSR materials. One of these books, written by a guy called Zak Sexman, became a runaway hit. James would henceforth divide his attentions between his own writings (the grimdark LotFP RPG, LotFP modules, and some never-ever projects) and acting as a publisher for innovative, edgy, weird supplements. He had crazy ideas like running an 14 parallel crowdfunding campaigns for 14 modules, trying to publish an AD&D adventure by GWAR's David Brockie (who died before finishing), doing the balls-to-the-walls crazy Veins of the Earth, and so on.
  2. James, a very generous guy and an outspoken, very principled liberal / free speech advocate, helped numerous fringe/arty people by publishing and promoting their projects. He had very generous terms by game industry standards, including ownership and rates. He had a large, enthusiastic fanbase that would help these creators win industry awards - LotFP fans could easily steamroll ENnies voting by coordinating their votes on their nominee. The LotFP style was very punk, very avant-garde, and received a lot of positive coverage beyond hobby venues (general "geek" sites like Kotaku and the like).
  3. Around that time, the "OSR", which was mainly active on Google+ at the time, picked up a bunch of new fans, coming specifically for the artsy stuff. Now this was a new, "diverse" set of people including dangerhairs, lotsa people with - how to put it - weird sexualities, and of course very lefty politics. In a classic case of gentrification, they liked what they saw, and decided to claim the place as their own. The rainbow flag was planted on the shores of a new, exciting, buzzing creative neighbourhood.
  4. Following "voices" pushing to make game writing more diverse, James made an honest-to-God effort to put his money where his mouth is, and hire people from Muh Marginalised Communities for a bunch of game projects. This would eventually get him fucked in the ass. (Around the same time, Frog God Games also experimented with an all-female edition of Swords & Wizardry, spearheaded by Stacy Dellorfano, whom they hired as a staffer. SPOILERS: They also got fucked in the ass.)
  5. James published a bunch of these creators who were LGBTQ, queer, PoC, or just weird activist people. This is where Vaginas Are Magic and its ilk come from. He hired various dangerhairs to do his layout, run his operations, do the sales at con booths, and so on. No person that I know of has been as generous to this disgusting rabble as him.
  6. ENTIRELY SURPRISINGLY, the motherfuckers ended up stabbing James in the back. I think the initial spark was in a late 2018 Google Plus thread (G+ is no longer available, and while I screenshotted some of it, I am on vacation on a laptop, so no evidence), where James voiced the unacceptable opinion that perhaps you should not punch nazis, and everyone has the right to free speech. In that thread, he was viciously ganged up on by the people he had championed, paid generously, wined and dined, and helped to industry awards. Cowards like Kiel Chenier (ENnies winner for a disgusting sexual fetish adventure he would later disavow in a tearful apology), Zak Sexman (multiple ENnies winner, later #metooed by his GF) joined in on the attack for social media points. Communist scum like John Bell (Retired Adventurer / Pseudoephedrine) would come out of the woodwork, advocating to destroy James's business for being "a landlord" and "an oppressor". In a single thread, the progressive wing of the OSR tore their greatest ally into shreds and spat in his face.
  7. Yes, in true scorpion style, this destroyed one of the friendly publishers these diversity motherfuckers had at their disposal. Of course, they didn't give a damn.
  8. James never really recovered, I think - and his business was badly hit by Zak's cancellation (since his books were some of the bestsellers in the LotFP catalogue, and they were now banned from DriveThruRPG, which is of course a woke bastion like everything else in the industry). He wallowed in depression for two years (really bad stuff), got divorced, and almost went bankrupt. I think he is slowly recovering, but he is just a shadow of his former self. This is chronicled in Prince of Nothing's great saga, The Doom of King James, and its followup, Legends of the OSRmen. Or A Chronicle of the Fall of LotFP #01 and #02.
This is how I understand what happened. The reason I am telling the story is that, while our interests and preferences are mostly incompatible (I have no interest in his edgelord fantasy, and I don't listen to metal), I genuinely like the guy. He is a principled man and a good person, and what happened to him is one of the great untold injustices of our hobby. The Roscoe Arbuckle story of old-school gaming, if you will.

(Parenthetically, I watched all this in dumbfound horror from the sidelines, and when I started my own zine, I made damn sure I would never be financially dependent on the woke fuckers. And this would be my advice to anyone trying to get into gaming. Don't do business with rabid SJWs, because THEY WILL FUCK YOU IN THE ASS for retweets and Facebook likes.)
Crom

649827b45b9ca5c98e361f086cf6a845.jpg

Hello, hello, all the spooks to ye!

So, I haven't been posting here for a long time because of personal reasons. Nobody gives a fuck, so I'll just say: I scrapped the whole thing I was working on and am currently rebuilding it from the very bottom. I needed to do this because I finally know what the hell I want to create.
tl;dr: an OSR gazetteer focused entirely on undead characters. Major changes and ideas are included below.

1. There are no regular character classes (so no Fighters and Magic Users), instead, there's half a dozen or so of race-as-class options. These are: Skeleton, Zombie*, Ghoul, Spook**, Mummy, and Vampire. Currently, I'm working on Wight, since I think having some kind of Draugr-inspired character fits the theme of the game.
* Zombies in D&D are fucking boring. I'm giving them abilities like Spit Bile 3/day, which works as supernatural poison, and the ability to consume corpses in order to replenish lost hp. Or, if that won't work, I'll simply combine them with Wights, since they're really similar. Or natural toughness, reducing physical damage taken?
** these guys lump together all the incorporeal undead: Wraiths, Spectres, Apparitions, Shades, and so on, with various abilities gained as you go along. The downside is they can't use most -- if any -- items.

2. Characters use Fighter's HD, to-hit progression, and saving throws. There are minor exceptions to this rule, mainly if you wish to become a spellcaster.

3. All characters can become spellcasters, but to balance things I'm arbitrarily capping progression for certain classes. For example, Zombies and Ghouls, being the absolute simpletons of undead society, are limited to 4th level of Cleric and 2nd level of Wizard, while Mummies and Vampires have no limits to Cleric and Wizard levels, respectively. This is balanced by XP penalties. To give you an example, your 2nd level Skeleton needs 4000XP to reach 3rd level. If you want to learn some spells (so, essentially, become a 1st level Wizard on top of that), you'll need additional 1000XP. Becoming 2nd level Wizard requires additional 2000XP, 3rd level 4000XP, and so on, and so on. Your character CAN gain levels in both Cleric and Wizard class, but not simultaneously. On top of that, to become a Cleric you need 9 Wisdom, and 9 Int for Wizard (Mummies and Vampires circumvent this by requiring 9 Wis and 9 Int to become playable).
And no, Clerics don't gain Turn Undead, come on, but there's at least half a dozen of gods, which grant you and your followers a set of juicy -- if somewhat minimalistic -- bonuses.

4. Because spellcasting is limited (don't expect to become a powerhouse able to cast 81 spells/day very soon, if ever), I can freely add more setting-exclusive spells and focus on more thematic stuff. Wizards throwing swarms of flies instead of fireballs? Yes, please.

5. There's not many fundamental changes when it comes to Attributes/Abilities.
Strength and Dexterity work as usual.
Constitution, outside of modifying hp gain, modifies your character's chances of surviving Death's Embrace -- essentially, a System Shock mechanic from AD&D, but limited to the moment your character reaches 0hp, with a % chance to get up with 1hp, but somewhat... off (roll on a table to discover what happened: missing limb, teeth, additional scars, temporary madness, you know, the usual stuff). For the purposes of resisting Death's Embrace, your Constitution is lowered by 1 every time you reach 0hp. As of now, it ranges from 30% at Con 3 to 75% at Con 18.
Intelligence and Wisdom work as usual.
Charisma takes a hit with creativity stick (not really). Now, works differently for dungeoneering stuff and commanding hordes of retainers, and influences the maximum HD total of creatures you can command, which increases as you level up. I'll explain this with an example.
A 1st level Skeleton with 18 Charisma is capable of employing 7 followers for a 7HD total. The same Skeleton, at 2nd level, can still employ 7 followers, but with 14HD total; 7 followers with 21HD total, and so on. Followers' limit applies only to dungeoneering stuff -- for horde play, it's a bit different. To keep an example of our Skeleton, if he was to command a horde, he'd be able to direct up to 21x 1HD skeletons at 3rd level. Of course, you can mix and match things - there's nothing stopping you from commanding 10x 2HD skellies, for example.
Employing more powerful followers is somewhat more difficult, of course. If your character was a 3rd level Mummy, he'd be able to command only 3x 5HD Mummies in total, assuming these reclusive fucks would even join you.
6. I'm intending to add a ton of tables for random equipment failures: Undead characters aren't exactly known for their craft, so most of their stuff is either looted or stolen.

7. Factions! Because this stuff is finally somewhat homogeneous (all of you are dead; not somewhat dead, not "on the other site", just dead), I can limit the number of factions to ~8, with each providing different abilities. I guess I just like the idea of faction antagonisms.

Meh, I thought about it, and came to a single conclusion: fuck zombies. They're boring, bring absolutely nothing to the table outside of 2HD, and have no special abilities -- I don't need another bare bones (get it?) undead, since I already have playable skeletons. So, official roster is as follows: Skeleton, Ghoul, Wight*, Spook, Vampire, and Mummy.
* might rename him to Revenant: these also combine some monsters with increasing levels of power, since there's a fuckton of "spirit inhabiting a dead body" monster types in BECMI.

infidel

StarInfidel
Developer
Strap Yourselves In
A single zombie is undeniably boring, but you can give them the ability to call upon their zombie brethren and control them to a degree, sorta like necromancers. As the made-up saying goes, "where there's one zombie, there's a horde of 'em". :D

So I'm really just getting into OSR stuff. Been a DnD veteran for a while. Starting with AD&D 1st ed in the early 80s. One thing that has been a pet peeve of mine recently is newer, younger people going into DnD expecting to and demanding to have an "epic adventure". The story behind them is the same thing every time. They watched a you tube video of a DnD "story" or watched Critical Role. And they want to do that. And none of them understand that stories come out of the game not the other way round. You cannot force a story into the pen and paper experience. It arises naturally as part of gameplay. The way you and your party's dice rolled, what decisions were made. Myriad things that are unique to THAT group. It's all well and good to call DnD a "storytelling experience". Quite another to die to a goblin at first level because of your own shitty roles. No epic story for you. Hand in your character sheet and make a new one. 5E encourages the "storyteller" "everyone is making a collective story together" Might as well tell the GM to fuck off.

The OSR is great because the majority of books I've read EMPOWER the GM. A good GM enforces the rules fairly and ensures the GAME of DnD or whatever it is, is played properly. That means you don't fudge dice for the players. You aren't actively malicious. But you don't help the players either. Let them play. Let them own their victories or defeats. They can die just as easily as they can go on epic adventures. DnD is a game of chance. The dice matter to the game. Stories only go one way based on the intent of the author. A game can go any way based on how the group play the game. OSR understands this.

Sacibengala

Prophet
I will say that it is very hard to get an healthy and matured playing group in my native language. People normally wants to play tabletop games that emulates the newer bullcrap netflix show of now, or the new skyrim, or whatever. The pop culture in general is drowned in anime and superhero fetish mentality and it is expected that the pc games and ttrpg community would be largely drowned by it as well.

Myself included, I play OSR and knows about the oldschool way of gaming for no more than 3 or 4 years? And I searched for it just because of the good old Codex. I love the old CRPGs, much more than the newer stuff that plagues the market. Then I thought to myself: "if this is based on oldschool dnd, maybe the ttrpg of old is better than the new ones? Let's see"

And here I am. And yes, It's not just better than the new ones, its even better than the old PC games that I've grown so fond of over the years.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Meh, I thought about it, and came to a single conclusion: fuck zombies. They're boring, bring absolutely nothing to the table outside of 2HD, and have no special abilities...
Perhaps you can take inspiration for special abilities from less conventional depictions of zombies in popular culture:

michael-jackson-thriller-e1535549330442-700x355.jpg

Alex

Arcane
Zombies in AD&D were the meat and potatoes of necromancers (or maybe just the meat, the potatoes being the skeletons instead). I agree that, as they are in the Monster Manual (at least in 2nd edition), they were actually rather boring. Skeletons were boring as well since they did a cop out and said they would use their weapons badly and always do 1d6 of damage, no matter what they wielded. This however does point towards what I think is a nice solution without simply giving them some strange abilities is to make them a bit more intelligent. Allow skeletons to keep some skill they had in life; they can wield weapons, use armour and maybe even work as carpenters or stone diggers. Just so zombies aren't the same, you could give them a kind of collective "mind". A group of zombies working together will always work as a team. If they want to catch someone, the zombies will circle him so to avoid him escaping, and position themselves in a way to use their corpses to pin down the target, even if they are killed. This would make the basic undead in D&D a lot more interesting than simply a hitter, without really changing its stats.

Now, this is meant as a way to fix them being boring in a normal D&D game, not Dwemer Puzzle Box's game. But if you wanted to be a bit wild, you could let a player picking zombie to control a whole bunch of them. The "zombie" player might have the maximum size of his group tied to level.

Morblot

Patron
Re: zombies, especially controlling them, check out the short story "Jerry’s Kids Meet Wormboy" by David J. Schow for (AFAIK) a unique take.

nyjsu

Educated
Patron
I helped put crap in Monomyth
Anyone have experience running longer campaigns with Knave? I'm starting Evils of Illmire this weekend and wondering what system to use. We just finished a short OSE campaign and I'd like to try something new. Classless and human-centric system would also fit the tone of the campaign quite well.

sgm

Educated
Meh, I thought about it, and came to a single conclusion: fuck zombies. They're boring, bring absolutely nothing to the table outside of 2HD, and have no special abilities -- I don't need another bare bones (get it?) undead, since I already have playable skeletons. So, official roster is as follows: Skeleton, Ghoul, Wight*, Spook, Vampire, and Mummy.
* might rename him to Revenant: these also combine some monsters with increasing levels of power, since there's a fuckton of "spirit inhabiting a dead body" monster types in BECMI.

Zombies in AD&D 1st Edition, like any other lesser undead type, could be under the command of a more powerful undead, say for instance a vampire. When encountered, any attempt at turning these controlled undead would be as difficult as turning the actual vampire itself. That alone makes these mooks a lot more dangerous, especially if a cleric PC has no chance of turning the vampire. According to the DMG dungeon encounter tables , you could even throw 6 zombies and a ghast at a party on the 2nd level of a dungeon and unless the party cleric was higher than 2nd level (doubtful at that point) he or she only has a 5% chance at best to affect any of them due to the presence of the ghast, which the party won't be able to single out as ghasts look exactly like ghouls.

Also, placing them in an evil temple/shrine/cursed graveyard could decrease the chances of turning them even further by whatever factor the DM wishes. Gygax suggested a negative modifier to turning attempts anywhere between 1-4 factors depending on the type of location and it's "evilness". This could open up role-playing opportunities for players attempting to destroy/desecrate the location before engaging the zombies, and the consequences of that action; i.e. evil god gets PO'd and decides to send its agents (cultists, demons, etc.) against the party of adventurerers.

Sure....skeletons, zombies, goblins, etc. are low level mooks and tend to be treated by many DMs as cannon fodder, but each has it's usefulness in crafting specific encounters. The Monster Manual and DMG give plenty of ideas on how to use them in interesting ways that makes encountering them more than just a hack n' slash affair.

Bara

Arcane
2e and its consequences have been a disaster for the role-playing race.

(And I am watcing you, Unearthed Arcana scum)

I think Unearthed Arcana is cool for allowing Magic-Users to use slings. It just feels wrong to fall back to a throwing daggers or darts when out of spells over a sling.

Also made Barbarians a official class.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Also, Carcass Crawler Issue 1 the offical OSE zine is out.

Acolyte is basically the Mage from the Issue 0 zine but for divine casters
This class is the result of a thought experiment: what would a priestly class look like if based on the percentile thief skills mechanic, instead of the standard spell memorization mechanism? Thus, the magic wielded by acolytes is not bound by memorization.

In campaigns where the acolyte is used in place of the standard cleric class, divine magic (cast spontaneously, using a skill check mechanic) and arcane magic (cast by memorizing from spell books) would be strongly differentiated.

And apparently the Mage from Issue 0 also got reprinted in Issue 1 by popular demand which is cool. Not a fan of rpg materials being locked behind exclusivity as a backer reward even if its expected for pdfs to get shared out.

Only one that bothers me a little is the Hephaestan. It's too on the nose with the Vulcan reference...
Neuropressure
Hephaestans have developed a non-lethal combat technique that applies pressure to the nerves at the back of a creature’s neck to induce temporary unconsciousness for 4d4 rounds. Neuropressure only affects targets of 4+1 or lower Hit Dice (see Game Statistics under Monsters in Old-School Essentials) and is ineffective against creatures larger than the hephaestan or lacking a discernible neck. Furthermore, neuropressure requires a successful attack roll against an unaware opponent to take effect. This ability is usable a number of times per day equal to the hephaestan’s level.

Rules for blackpowder fire arms are kinda boring but thats probably just me, helps if I ever run a spelljammer game in B/X. The warrior combat talents section are also okay I guess they don't really interest but I never had issue with playing a B/X warrior and always enjoyed it. The D6 thief skills section is just the specialist from LotFP

Overall I'd call it a pass unless your interested in more classes. Acolyte and Mage are cool would be interesting to substitute the regular Magic-User and Cleric for them in a campaign.

Alex

Arcane
2e and its consequences have been a disaster for the role-playing race.

(And I am watcing you, Unearthed Arcana scum)

I tend to prefer 2e over 1e. Especially when it comes to how they handled monsters. But then again; while I rather enjoy games made in the "old school" style; my preference has always been for the more complicated and detail driven systems.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom