Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline OSR Games - Official thread

MiguelSerranoFan

Educated
You have to be at least partially an anti-social autiste to write good media. Raggi's predilection for recording himself nude in front of a green screen ranting about random topics for fifty minutes is directly correlated to his ability to write what is arguably the best B/X spinoff on the market, as well as write and/or publish the most "out there" OSR content, some of which is the best this big faggot tent has. Well-socialized people write the latest 5e supplement about a fantasy city that cares about climate change and diversity, or Thirsty Sword Lesbians.

Raggi is the 21st century equivalent of the flamboyant, degenerate nobleman sponsoring the best artists of his time, who are all equally as degenerate as him. However, since it is the 21st century and not the 18th, Raggi is confined to poverty on the dark Nordic peninsula because his works are grotesque -- this despite the fact that any piece of art in Thirsty Sword Lesbians is infinitely more grotesque than anything included in the LotFP core rulebook.

MiguelSerranoFan

Educated
Good. D&D should be edgy. (Old) D&D is about smashing in the skull of a hobgoblin chieftain while his mate and little hobgoblin children watch from the corner of the room, or your thief getting slowly crushed to death by a devious, brutal trap. Lamentations does a far better job communicating that visually than OSE's little pastel CalArts blobs of indeterminate skin color do (not that I was talking about the art — I was referring purely to LotFP's mechanical changes to the B/X formula).

If believing that makes me a mental 14 year-old, then much better that than a mental 40 year-old who thinks that my particular version of playground fantasy knight play-pretend for manchildren needs to be mature and subtle.

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
(Old) D&D is about smashing in the skull of a hobgoblin chieftain while his mate and little hobgoblin children watch from the corner of the room, or your thief getting slowly crushed to death by a devious, brutal trap.
I don't object to this. But LotFP (to me) always seemed to be more about cramming in the maximum amount of references dicks, pussies and fucking than the ruthless style you describe.

not that I was talking about the art
Nor was I, but I will admit that I don't like LotFP's art. The unnecessary gore and nudity is just not to my taste at all. Yes, I'm a prude.

I was referring purely to LotFP's mechanical changes to the B/X formula
I did think about stealing some of these to use in OSE. But then I went and sold my LotFP books, so that's that.

Bara

Arcane
Well if you ever wanted the Judge's Guild Wilderlands books get them soon as they're going to be pulled of the dtrpg soon. Details on Bat in the Attack games blog.

Though I think this is just re-imaging of the Wilderlands? I don't believe the include all the tables and such from the original books as he never got the rights to reprint those if I remember right?

Rob only kept the books up on his page to get the money he was owed for what work he did for them. Now that the balance of what he was owed is reaching 0 from the sales of the Wilderlands books over the years he's going to take them down some time later this month or so.

It is sad how a lot of work from a lot of authors whom no one online or offline seems to have issue with is now just thrown away just because the rights to them are now owned by someone who people really hate.

Yet everyone still wants the books so much so that their okay with Goodman Games buying the rights to the Judge's Guild adventures and selling them again as a overpriced collection book or individually for Original Adventures Reincarnated series. Like Bledsaw's kid is still getting money from this I don't see how everything is made suddenly better by Goodman Games owning it but apparently it is.

But hey at least some of the old Judge's Guild material gets preserved in some fashion that way even if Goodman Games is charging a arm and a leg. Or the seven seas I suppose.

Last edited:

MiguelSerranoFan

Educated
I'm impressed by the breadth of content they've included. Even B/X race-as-class and AD&D separate race and class together. I'm also glad to see they haven't excluded important parts of Dark Sun's setting because it might offend some third worlder somewhere. I always thought that WotC would probably make a good bit of money if they back-converted some of their IPs and content for OSR players, but things like that certainly wouldn't be included if they did.

Sacibengala

Prophet
because it might offend some third worlder somewhere
Thirld worlder are more concerned on not starve to death or have good health care. The ones that get offended by this kind of shit are first worlders that doesn't have anything worth living for to care about in the real world.

MiguelSerranoFan

Educated
Thirld worlder are more concerned on not starve to death or have good health care. The ones that get offended by this kind of shit are first worlders that doesn't have anything worth living for to care about in the real world.
A third worlder in the first world leeching off welfare money and affirmative action symbolic "jobs" is still a third worlder -- and they still act like that in their home countries, just with different subject matter. The third world is the place where you're most likely to get murdered for wearing the wrong soccer jersey or stepping on the wrong favela rat's new pair of basketball shoes.

MiguelSerranoFan

Educated
Despite my spirited defense of Raggi earlier, I think his new modules are pretty shitty.

Just A Stupid Dungeon is yet another subversion of the classic dungeon with a world-ending maguffin at the end. Raggi seems to have forgotten that he already did this with Death Frost Doom, except Death Frost Doom was atmospheric, foreshadowed its deadliness, and was overall creative and cool. It also had treasure, which this one barely does, apparently just as a fuck you to the players. The dungeon in Fuck For Satan felt more creative, and that was also a joke scenario. That being said, some of the room traps are neat and sentient rats fighting a war with one another is neat, too, I just wish Raggi would stop subverting the genre and just write an earnest dungeon crawl again.

Curse of the Daughterbrides is an event-based adventure, which I am personally not a big fan of, and doubly turns me off because the curse involved is incredibly annoying (being forced to kill oneself if coming into contact with a non-cursed individual, which then transfers the curse). Most will probably be filtered by the incestous themes and random encounters with necrophiles — as I've established, I don't really give a shit about all that. There's a new player class, the Daughterbride, which I don't see anyone taking because leveling up requires giving birth to a daughter of the Fatherhusband. You do get complete immunity to magic, disease, and other stuff, but it seems like a very boring class.

I've come to accept that I am far more into Sword & Sorcery than I am the Weird Fantasy that Raggi likes, even if the two overlap regularly. I still think LotFP is the best B/X clone mechanically, but the scenarios need a serious influx of new blood if they want to stay competitive. Alternatively, Raggi, please just stop writing trope-subverting garbage that is purposefully unfun. My expectations have been subverted enough, I KNOW you can write good scenarios. You don't even have to ditch all the shitting dick nipples and incest, just make it a scenario that's actually interesting to play — I know you can do it.

Bara

Arcane
Labyrinth Lord returns with a 2E in Q1 2023.

LABYRINTH LORD second edition
COMING Q1 2023

Times have changed, and so is Labyrinth Lord!

First released in 2007, Labyrinth Lord is the premier Basic/Expert compatible fantasy role-playing game. Back then "retro–clones" were a new concept, exemplified by Matt Finch's and Stewart Marshall's work on the first edition compatible game OSRIC.

We were treading new waters in pushing the limits of the Open Game License and available System Reference Documents from Wizards of the Coast. The rule of thumb at that time was to err on the side of caution to avoid publishing content that might be considered "art" rather than system.

Fast forward 15 years later, and the slew of additional games following the same path but in a less cautious manner has proven that some of the design choices made earlier are not necessary in the current state of the industry.

Coupled with being essentially out of the game publishing market for several years, it's clear that the time has come for Goblinoid Games to publish a new edition of the ever popular Labyrinth Lord game!

LL_2e_draft_cover_thumb.png
Not the final cover.

Labyrinth Lord, Second Edition

Game presentation will be updated to account for the new standards gamers expect. Things like experience tables, level rank titles, and other smaller changes originally made to avoid the perception of reproducing art, will all be brought to closer compatibility with the original Basic/Expert rules.

In addition, much of the rules presentation will be streamlined for easier reference at the table. This will be done while accounting for known errata.

What does the future hold?

Labyrinth Lord second edition is set for release in Q1 of 2023. Its release will be concurrent with a new solo adventure (the writing stage is currently almost finished). These products will be released directly to the public, not via any fundraising effort ahead of time.

Later, there will be a second edition of the Advanced Edition Companion, and if the public desires it, these books will be compiled to create a second edition of Advanced Labyrinth Lord. All editions will remain in print, but clearly labeled with our vendors as to which books are first or second edition.

Goblinoid Games will continue to publish additional adventures and other works regularly going forward.

I'm excited for this relaunch, and I hope many of you join me on this new adventure. Let's make the next 15 years of Labyrinth Lord even more groundbreaking than its early years!

I'm not sold on the idea of a 2E at this point I'm looking for things that do thing diffrent rather than more retro-clones but its cool Labyrinth Lord is still continuing

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Seems completely unnecessary, but then again, you could say that about pretty much all the retroclones.

7h30n

Augur
Both of them are fine modules to start a group with. Although I might go with Tomb of the Iron God.

Btw, I ran Tomb of the Iron God yesterday with them (as a one-off in the middle of Delta Green campaign), and I have to admit the module is really well done. I'm not sure how good it is as an intro, but the dungeon is designed in such a way to prompt experimentation and trying out different approaches. Players resolved all of the combat encounters & traps (they had that session) by utilizing the whole map and various "useless" stuff that was on it.

Also, we used LotFP again for this, and the simplicity of these B/X retroclones is really something that elevates the game, especially the combat flow.

Both of them are fine modules to start a group with. Although I might go with Tomb of the Iron God.

Btw, I ran Tomb of the Iron God yesterday with them (as a one-off in the middle of Delta Green campaign), and I have to admit the module is really well done. I'm not sure how good it is as an intro, but the dungeon is designed in such a way to prompt experimentation and trying out different approaches. Players resolved all of the combat encounters & traps (they had that session) by utilizing the whole map and various "useless" stuff that was on it.

Also, we used LotFP again for this, and the simplicity of these B/X retroclones is really something that elevates the game, especially the combat flow.
Someone has mentioned Delta Green. So I must now autistically scream that Delta Green has the absolute best horror campaign ever made for RPGs in Impossible Landscapes. Yes it's better than Horror on the Orient Express. Impossible Landscapes is a complete mind fuck for your players that involves time travel, distortions of reality and more stuff I can't go into without spoiling things. Even if you have no interest in Delta Green you should look at Impossible Landscapes just for the great inspiration it can give for your horror campaigns.

Codex Year of the Donut
don't know where to post this so I'll just put it here

I am looking for a copy of this book
dragon-tree.jpg

If anyone *ahem* comes by one, let me know in PM. I've checked all the usual sources, and even more obscure ones, and am unable to find a copy.
Even checked for used physical copies and nada, except a badly damaged one on ebay.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut

dragon-tree.jpg

If anyone *ahem* comes by one, let me know in PM. I've checked all the usual sources, and even more obscure ones, and am unable to find a copy.
Even checked for used physical copies and nada, except a badly damaged one on ebay.
Found it, along with some other Dragon Tree material. That was not easy to find.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

dragon-tree.jpg

Found it, along with some other Dragon Tree material. That was not easy to find.
Any good?

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
The No Artpunk II module collection is out, it is free, and it is 250 pages of good stuff (at least based on experiences with the first one). It is also banned on Reddit along with the editor because some loser complained.

Furthermore, the Kickstarter for the second edition of Yoon-Suin has launched. This is an imaginative, highly useful setting book mostly based on random tables. You will play as a slugman and you will like it!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom