Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Palworld - basically pro slavery Pokemon game - now available on Early Access

Myobi

Liturgist
Lol, "gaming journalism".

Tehdagah

Arcane
I still have no idea how survival + open world + crafting games sell so easily.
FOMO
It's also a game genre when you can turn your brain off, ironically. these games play themselves i think.

It's also lost 1.3 million players, so yeah, FOMO
Game came out less than a month ago and is already below 600k peak concurrent players for today, which put it below Counter-Strike and DOTA 2.

Dead game, abandon ship.

With Palworld quickly approaching the 1-month mark, it's interesting to look back at my own thoughts for launch.

In May of 2023, I was convinced that Palworld could break the 50,000 player mark. Anything above that seemed unobtainable though, and I certainly never expected it to reach into the millions.

It has taken years to get to this point, and Palworld only really begins from here. Everyone is working hard to fix the issues and prepare new content and Pals. Some of you may have had your fun over the last 3 weeks and found yourself putting the game down. That is fine.

This emerging "Palworld has lost X% of its player base" discourse is lazy, but it's probably also a good time to step in and reassure those of you capable of reading past a headline that it is fine to take breaks from games. You don't need to feel bad about that. Palworld, like many games before it, isn't in a position to pump out massive amounts of new content on a weekly basis. New content will come, and it's going to be awesome, but these things take a little bit of time.

There are so many amazing games out there to play; you don't need to feel guilty about hopping from game to game.

If you are still playing Palworld, we love you. If you're no longer playing Palworld, we still love you, and we hope you'll come back for round 2 when you're ready.

Play lots of games, try different genres, and frequently flick through indie libraries to find hidden gems.

Feels a bit like damage control. Apparently it already lost 2/3 of its playerbase in one month.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
FOMO
It's also a game genre when you can turn your brain off, ironically. these games play themselves i think.

Game came out less than a month ago and is already below 600k peak concurrent players for today, which put it below Counter-Strike and DOTA 2.

Dead game, abandon ship.

With Palworld quickly approaching the 1-month mark, it's interesting to look back at my own thoughts for launch.

In May of 2023, I was convinced that Palworld could break the 50,000 player mark. Anything above that seemed unobtainable though, and I certainly never expected it to reach into the millions.

It has taken years to get to this point, and Palworld only really begins from here. Everyone is working hard to fix the issues and prepare new content and Pals. Some of you may have had your fun over the last 3 weeks and found yourself putting the game down. That is fine.

This emerging "Palworld has lost X% of its player base" discourse is lazy, but it's probably also a good time to step in and reassure those of you capable of reading past a headline that it is fine to take breaks from games. You don't need to feel bad about that. Palworld, like many games before it, isn't in a position to pump out massive amounts of new content on a weekly basis. New content will come, and it's going to be awesome, but these things take a little bit of time.

There are so many amazing games out there to play; you don't need to feel guilty about hopping from game to game.

If you are still playing Palworld, we love you. If you're no longer playing Palworld, we still love you, and we hope you'll come back for round 2 when you're ready.

Play lots of games, try different genres, and frequently flick through indie libraries to find hidden gems.

Feels a bit like damage control. Apparently it already lost 2/3 of its playerbase in one month.

What damage control? They were aiming for 2 million sales?

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Ye, after a month this game now only has the same concurrent player base that Starfield had on release. Damage control indeed.

FOMO

Dead game, abandon ship.

Feels a bit like you lack a functioning brain. Did people expect this to have enough content to last more than a month as a non mmo/non live service game?

FOMO

Dead game, abandon ship.

Feels a bit like you lack a functioning brain. Did people expect this to have enough content to last more than a month as a non mmo/non live service game?

It’s also early access.

The final version of the game isn’t even out yet and it’s already wildly excessed the developers expectations. Outlets writing stories about how some people have already finished playing an early access game that wasn’t meant to be played forever anyways just looks like weird spin from people that have a hard-on for hating Palworld for utterly bizarre and brainless reasons.

Last edited:

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I mean. The guy shit out a game that he even mentioned he was hoping for maybe like 50k sales on, and given their history and dev story seems like he's probably telling the truth.

It suddenly blows up and gives them (I assume) insane profitability beyond their wildest dreams. It's going to take some time for them to either build up what's there and expand their team a bit if they choose to reinvest or otherwise take the money and run after stamping the thing 1.0 release. It's not like this was some AAA corp with a budget of a small nation's GDP.

Last edited:

Mauman

Learned
Ye, after a month this game now only has the same concurrent player base that Starfield had on release. Damage control indeed.
This is what I don't get. The current player count is still stupidly good for a game of this type, status (early access), and level of production (indie level). It'd still be great even at half it's current player count.

Is this ignorance, copium, or is it just plain stupidity that people are going "HUR DUR DEAD GAME"?

Last edited:

Caim

Arcane
This is what I don't get. The current player count is still stupidly good for a game of this type, status (ie early access), and level of production (indie level). It'd still be great even at half it's current player count.

Is this ignorance, copium, or is it just plain stupidity that people are going "HUR DUR DEAD GAME"?
nah m8 I'm just shitposting

Even now it's standing tall as the third most popular game behind CS and DOTA, outranking even the hot new Helldivers.

mediocrepoet

Patron
This is what I don't get. The current player count is still stupidly good for a game of this type, status (ie early access), and level of production (indie level). It'd still be great even at half it's current player count.

nah m8 I'm just shitposting

Even now it's standing tall as the third most popular game behind CS and DOTA, outranking even the hot new Helldivers.

That's so crazy. It's like making a shitpost and waking up the next day to find that it won you the lottery.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
popped gamepass and could experience this thing.

in general im no big on base management. Even when I fiddle with settings it is a chore.
Your damage is minimal when compared to your pokemons. I kept fiddling with my base in order to get better weapons but it just doesnt matter.
I've put a collar on some pinky dreamy thingy and its out of the pockeball for free at all times. I cant hide it and as result catching more pokemon is hard.
Ive caught dratini boss but it doesnt appear to be stronger than big bird that I have with me since very beginning.

I guess what Id like to have instead is outward style of playing, where you can go like nomad into the unknown.

Lhynn

Arcane
There are hidden stats for your pals, you may have gotten a shit dratini and a good big chicken?

That said, weapons do matter, they are what make catching pals easier, as you dont want your own pals to kill them, and that tends to happen if you dont store them back when the enemy pal is about to die.

Mauman

Learned
There are hidden stats for your pals, you may have gotten a shit dratini and a good big chicken?

That said, weapons do matter, they are what make catching pals easier, as you dont want your own pals to kill them, and that tends to happen if you dont store them back when the enemy pal is about to die.
I think the moment you get the musket is when your damage becomes comparable or better than your pals.

Thing hits like a god damn truck.

By the end the pump shotgun, single shot rifle, and the assualt rifle will be your mainstays for damage and they do just fine (better than fine really)

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
The crossbow is the first weapon that does decent damage, and it'll likely stay your best weapon until late into the game. Not because of its damage, but because it's piss easy to create ammo for it, whereas the firearms you get later during the game will make you go through vast amounts of sulfur, iron and coal, all of which are a bit of a pain in the ass to get.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
ok gotten musket. Then was flying on my big byrd and shooting from it while fighting some boss. Going up and down to dodge gave me pure mm6 nostalgia

Tehdagah

Arcane

Myobi

Liturgist
"Palworld will show to greedy AAA developers what gamers really want"

https://insider-gaming.com/palworld...on-steam-since-launch-but-you-shouldnt-worry/

According to SteamDB, Palworld has lost 97% of its peak player count on Steam. In fact, since the beginning of March, when player counts were still hovering around 275,000 daily players, the game has consistently lost thousands of players per day down to a recent 24-hour peak of just 69,850 as of writing.
This is that sort of take that I'll never know if its a fairly decent troll attempt or just a legit ass retarded take on it.

BG3 also had 450,000 players after launch and now is holding to 80,000. It's a singleplayer/co-op game, went viral, had an absurd amount of sales at launch, people completed the content and moved to other games.

Not every game has to be a live service meant to milk the shit out of you for life... regardless, Palworld still holding a 75,000 avrg player in the last 30 days, that's still pretty good for a small company title.

flyingjohn

Arcane
70+ % of steam owners have not beaten the first area of the games they own. Most steam owners are hoarders and that makes looking at concurrent players after release a useless statistic. This applies only for single player focused games of course.

mondblut

Arcane
According to SteamDB, Palworld has lost 97% of its peak player count on Steam. In fact, since the beginning of March, when player counts were still hovering around 275,000 daily players, the game has consistently lost thousands of players per day down to a recent 24-hour peak of just 69,850 as of writing.

Meanwhile, the author of the game:

holiday-ravejungle.jpg

mediocrepoet

Patron

Meanwhile, the author of the game:

holiday-ravejungle.jpg
Seriously. Oh no! The people who already gave me money are reducing my operating costs!

woody-harrelson-crying.gif

Tehdagah

Arcane
"Palworld will show to greedy AAA developers what gamers really want"

https://insider-gaming.com/palworld...on-steam-since-launch-but-you-shouldnt-worry/

This is that sort of take that I'll never know if its a fairly decent troll attempt or just a legit ass retarded take on it.

BG3 also had 450,000 players after launch and now is holding to 80,000. It's a singleplayer/co-op game, went viral, had an absurd amount of sales at launch, people completed the content and moved to other games.

Not every game has to be a live service meant to milk the shit out of you for life... regardless, Palworld still holding a 75,000 avrg player in the last 30 days, that's still pretty good for a small company title.
It went from 2,100,000 players to 75,000 in 2 months. It's losing to Stardew Valley, another (much older) sim game.

Biggest meme in the videogame industry.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom