Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Palworld - basically pro slavery Pokemon game - now available on Early Access

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Its just a very good marriage of elements youve seen in games before. Monster collection and survival from ark, except with better gameplay, fairly complex monster breeding from pokemon, a very well optimized experience that makes it stand out among most offers in the market, a familiar aesthetic, dark humor, the ability to ride most of your pals, and how very different every pal feels.

It scratches an itch that culturally has been there for like 30 years, its retarded that nintendo slept on it.

There's also the humour factor of beating the shit out of the pokemon looking things, enslaving them in labour camps and otherwise having some cartoon fluff thing hop on your head and open fire with an uzi. I'm not even interested in the game, but I think that's hilarious.

Mauman

Learned
You're laughing. The video game industry is on the verge of total collapse, and you're laughin
A man can only hope.
God yes. If the video game industry collapsed tomorrow I'd cry tears of pure joy.

Then maybe we'd be able to rebuild it into something that wasn't so.....shit.

otherwise having some cartoon fluff thing hop on your head and open fire with an uzi.

Fuck that....I got the giant electric guy who whips out a minigun when you jump on HIS head. The giant yellow shit just wrecks with it.

all i know about digimon is from this old pic
9s66um2k9gr61.jpg
That's only half right for Digimon.

It's a either a cool cyber-mech beast or a sexy nearly-nude woman or a cute girl as it evolves.

Digimon's basically the rule 34 of monsters. If you can think of it, it probably exists.

Mimicmon.jpg

It's not a fridge but Mimicmon was added 4 years ago. It's a safe with a flame thrower so kind of a fridge with a gun. They've been trying to add missing evolution lines pieces by making a suitable level fit 2 or more lines naturally and Mimic is one of those from what I can tell.

An Adult Digimon that is thought to have mutated from security software used for protecting computer terminals. As a result of capturing and taking in Virus-types that invade its territory like a trap, its own Attribute has become Virus as well. There are numerous Digimon sealed within its body, and the arms and horn coming out of its cage all originate from other Digimon.

The weapon on its left arm "Dead Shot", which is its main equipment, is also loaded from the Digimon it has sealed, but its power drops dramatically due to the data being compressed. Its Special Move is depriving the enemy of their freedom with the mist released from its cage (Hinder Miasma). Many Digimon that are immobilized by this technique are incorporated into Mimicmon's body.

Digimon is basically: What will boys like? Which makes sense since they’re the boys line spin-off of Tamagotchi. So they’re weird little Tamagotchis that turn into dinosaurs that turn into the ‘90s Japanese version of Dino Riders. And they’re digital monsters, and they’re Japanese, so they’ve got some Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei in there too it seems...which seemed to get stronger as they went on.

Palworld being such a big hit makes me wonder if Bandai Namco does so new game with them. Even the Persona games getting bigger could lead to something like. As far as I can tell, most all Digimon video games are just Pokémon knockoff stuff. But the whole original idea of Digimon with those Digital Monster toys was a virtual pet game where you could fight your pet against other people’s pet...you could do that as some survival game pretty easily.

Lhynn

Arcane
Its just a very good marriage of elements youve seen in games before. Monster collection and survival from ark, except with better gameplay, fairly complex monster breeding from pokemon, a very well optimized experience that makes it stand out among most offers in the market, a familiar aesthetic, dark humor, the ability to ride most of your pals, and how very different every pal feels.

It scratches an itch that culturally has been there for like 30 years, its retarded that nintendo slept on it.

There's also the humour factor of beating the shit out of the pokemon looking things, enslaving them in labour camps and otherwise having some cartoon fluff thing hop on your head and open fire with an uzi. I'm not even interested in the game, but I think that's hilarious.
Yeah, its a very dark game behind the cartoony graphics, and I believe that speaks to people.

Pal sacrifice, Pal abuse, murder, both of pals and other human beings, butchering your pals to feed them to your other pals, etc.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
"Its Pokémon with guns.", expect its nothing like Pokémon, it's Ark Survival Evolved, but instead of dinos you get Pokémon lookin shitlings.

Nothing special, but a fun game if your into survival games, it needs some polishing still...
Yeah, the lack of evolution alone kills the game for me. Survival garbage just buries it. I have a job. I don't need to grind boring tasks in a computer game.

The thing I liked about Pokémon (back when I played it decades ago) was the concept of leveling them, not just getting new ones. I want my chicken pokemon to level into a giant... uh, rooster, not to just become a slave that I end up feeding to some other creature later.

I'm happy to see it's disrupting the industry, but I have no interest in it beyond that.

Lhynn

Arcane
"Its Pokémon with guns.", expect its nothing like Pokémon, it's Ark Survival Evolved, but instead of dinos you get Pokémon lookin shitlings.

Nothing special, but a fun game if your into survival games, it needs some polishing still...
Yeah, the lack of evolution alone kills the game for me. Survival garbage just buries it. I have a job. I don't need to grind boring tasks in a computer game.

The thing I liked about Pokémon (back when I played it decades ago) was the concept of leveling them, not just getting new ones. I want my chicken pokemon to level into a giant... uh, rooster, not to just become a slave that I end up feeding to some other creature later.

I'm happy to see it's disrupting the industry, but I have no interest in it beyond that.
Its replaced evolution with breeding. You take 2 pals and create an even stronger one of a different kind. Its how you can get legendary pals easier.

Breeding isnt too grindy, and id advice creating a world in which hatching an egg doesnt take days, makes it more enjoyable.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Its replaced evolution with breeding. You take 2 pals and create an even stronger one of a different kind. Its how you can get legendary pals easier.
Yeah, I've seen that. Breading a fish and a dragon to get a cow is pretty lame though.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeah, I've seen that. Breading a fish and a dragon to get a cow is pretty lame though.

You call it lame, I call it an adventure witnessing the miracles of Science!

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
You call it lame, I call it an adventure witnessing the miracles of Science!
I'm not denying the appeal, on paper at least. And I can see how it'd be fun with others. I bought and tried it for a bit before refunding.

But I hate multiplayer/survival games and just like RPG mechanics a lot more, so it's not really for me. There are other collector games out there.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
The game is pretty funny. There doesn't seem to be enough here to warrant extended play sessions though. I'll wait a few months and see if they add anything substantial. In an endless sea of survival games it does stand out a bit, mainly for it's dark humor.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
I still have no idea how survival + open world + crafting games sell so easily.
Theodore Kaczynski wrote about how industrial/modern life lacks the power process, I believe survival crafting videogames serve as a synthetic medium that scratch that itch

Caim

Arcane
Theodore Kaczynski wrote about how industrial/modern life lacks the power process, I believe survival crafting videogames serve as a synthetic medium that scratch that itch
What I take from this is that if Rust was around at the time Uncle Ted wouldn't have sent those spicy boxes of his.

cbight

What is the status of things with regard to possible lawsuits? Will Nintendo sue?

FOMO
It's also a game genre when you can turn your brain off, ironically. these games play themselves i think.

It's also lost 1.3 million players, so yeah, FOMO

Caim

Arcane
FOMO
It's also a game genre when you can turn your brain off, ironically. these games play themselves i think.

Game came out less than a month ago and is already below 600k peak concurrent players for today, which put it below Counter-Strike and DOTA 2.

Dead game, abandon ship.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
FOMO

Game came out less than a month ago and is already below 600k peak concurrent players for today, which put it below Counter-Strike and DOTA 2.

Dead game, abandon ship.

With Palworld quickly approaching the 1-month mark, it's interesting to look back at my own thoughts for launch.

In May of 2023, I was convinced that Palworld could break the 50,000 player mark. Anything above that seemed unobtainable though, and I certainly never expected it to reach into the millions.

It has taken years to get to this point, and Palworld only really begins from here. Everyone is working hard to fix the issues and prepare new content and Pals. Some of you may have had your fun over the last 3 weeks and found yourself putting the game down. That is fine.

This emerging "Palworld has lost X% of its player base" discourse is lazy, but it's probably also a good time to step in and reassure those of you capable of reading past a headline that it is fine to take breaks from games. You don't need to feel bad about that. Palworld, like many games before it, isn't in a position to pump out massive amounts of new content on a weekly basis. New content will come, and it's going to be awesome, but these things take a little bit of time.

There are so many amazing games out there to play; you don't need to feel guilty about hopping from game to game.

If you are still playing Palworld, we love you. If you're no longer playing Palworld, we still love you, and we hope you'll come back for round 2 when you're ready.

Play lots of games, try different genres, and frequently flick through indie libraries to find hidden gems.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom