Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

Castanova

Prophet
Meh, looks like the alpha testers are all calling CI useless now. And that +chaos res item mods went in completely untested. Strange they should make potentially 'game-breaking' changes without running it through the testers first.

Well, it's called Open Beta, not Final Release. The fact that anyone can join doesn't mean we're all no longer testers. Sounds like they did what they could in the time allotted and stuck with the 23rd release date.

Raapys

Arcane
Agreed, but the problem is they can't do any more wipes. That means items will get stuck in the game from now on. You could do these things in closed beta since you were free to just delete everything if it turned out badly, but not anymore. And this is definitely a fundamental change, allowing resistance to Chaos.

empi

Augur
They can't remove items from the game, but they can alter the amount of chaos damage mobs deal to buff CI if they need to though

Raapys

Arcane
True, but at that point you might make max chaos resistance a 100% necessity to all non-CI users. It's a tough nail to crack if it turns out badly; which it might not, but they at least should have tested it.

empi

Augur
Yeah, I think allowing kripparrian to stream the alpha and a few other things kinda worked against them a bit. When people saw how CI had been changed to (No immunity to chaos damage, energy shield takes chaos damage, additional nodes past the keystone to give you +24?% increased ES and 30% more ES) people were raging on forums etc., and GGG maybe felt they had to change something, but didn't have enough time to test it. Anyway, we'll just have to see how it works out, most of the other changes seem good to me.

I'd still probably say that closed beta CI seems more unbalanced than this CI, but can't really be sure at this stage. The 50% multiplicative bonus to ES with the high ES mods on gear was pretty ridiculous

Raapys

Arcane
Ah, I stopped playing and so wasn't there to hear about the alpha changes to CI. Was it more or less powerful than in the closed beta?

But yeah, the 50% multiplicative was probably a tad too much. It's kinda of crazy though. If you look through the notes you'll see that it's not the only ES thing they 'fixed'. They also lowered ES values on armor *and* lowered the usefulness of the Discipline aura which also contributed significantly to ES users. So it's actually a triple nerf to that particular part of the game. Kinda makes me wonder if pure ES is even a viable build at all anymore. I suppose I'll find out in a while.

4 hours 17 minutes until playing, 2 hours 17minutes until patching. Gonna be a long night.

Castanova

Prophet
Ah, I stopped playing and so wasn't there to hear about the alpha changes to CI. Was it more or less powerful than in the closed beta?

But yeah, the 50% multiplicative was probably a tad too much. It's kinda of crazy though. If you look through the notes you'll see that it's not the only ES thing they 'fixed'. They also lowered ES values on armor *and* lowered the usefulness of the Discipline aura which also contributed significantly to ES users. So it's actually a triple nerf to that particular part of the game. Kinda makes me wonder if pure ES is even a viable build at all anymore. I suppose I'll find out in a while.

4 hours 17 minutes until playing, 2 hours 17minutes until patching. Gonna be a long night.

I'm fairly certain a lot of people will be entirely unable to download the patch, let alone get into the game.

Raapys

Arcane
Maybe, but my experience with GGG and PoE has been very pleasant in that regard. And I haven't seen all that much publicity for the game on any of the major sites. There is a chance it might work fairly well.

Supposedly, if you try to log in before the servers are up, you will be put into a queue.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
CI used to be even better than 50% more iirc, it used to be 100% more at one point. Obviously the idea is to make it so it's no longer a must have on anyone using energy as a defense.

Raapys

Arcane
Oh yeah, I think everyone will agree that is was overpowered. But now they have potentially made it useless( it might still be useful in late end-game with awesome gear), and at the same time made all builds using intelligence/energy-type defense significantly weaker. While making the game harder, according to the patch notes. All without giving it any real testing first. That's not good. At the very least they should have had a couple of months of closed-beta testing for such a big change, to see if there actually is a truly viable defense option for those builds now. And, ironically, if there is then it seems likely that everyone will switch to that instead.

empi

Augur
I don't think the launch will go smoothly, iirc they've tested up to 50,000 users, they have since bought more servers but I think there could be a couple hundred thousand users at first. Normally with patches the downtime is a minute or two, but this is no normal patch ^^ A lot of the PoE community seems to be butthurt d3 players, I guess that's a pretty big pool of potential customers

Also thread should be moved to MMORPG now there's a /dance command

empi

Augur
They've shut down the website temporarily now, and someone go in game and watch global chat :p

EDIT: oh sheeet, patch downloading now

well by downloading i mean checking resources

some people are already in queue the bastards

and new passive tree is up though http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree

empi

Augur
yeah my shadow build will pick up 3 chaos resist nodes

and 6% dl'd zomg

Zdzisiu

Arcane
The speed fluctuates a lot.

Btw, cosmetic mictrotransactions are up on the main page.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Well, I'm at 15% after 15 minutes so I should get it done right before the start of Open Beta.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom