Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
They might allow drop rate changes on private servers where characters can't be moved to default league. Haven't heard much about the private server thing in a while.

Castanova

Prophet
2), like me, then it feels like shit knowing that you'll never have *nowhere near* as much wealth as someone running a Regal Orb factory.

So you feel like shit because someone out there, a person you can't see and who never ever interacts with you, is generating entirely meaningless wealth faster than you? Yikes.

That guy subverts the market, and affects every player in the game. Think man.

No, you think. The guy does NOT affect "every player in the game." The guy only affects people who are concerned with amassing items that are in the top 0.1% of quality... while the top, I dunno, 5% of item quality will be plenty good enough to defeat all end game content. So, basically, if your goal is to amass pretty items then you should feel butthurt. If your goal is to have fun playing and then beating the game, then this has no effect on you whatsoever.

In fairness, not everyone has enough Jew in them to conceptualize economies holistically.

And not everyone has enough common sense to conceptualize the difference between alarmism and practicality.

empi

Augur
They might allow drop rate changes on private servers where characters can't be moved to default league. Haven't heard much about the private server thing in a while.

Private leagues are gonna be a shop item, not sure what types of rules/changes you can have in private leagues though

Livonya

Augur
Patron
This whole debate seems pointless.

I agree that in theory the extra stash tabs are an advantage, but only assuming that everyone has the exact same playing time.

So many other things are at play

1) Do you have a job? I do. Thus I can't play as much as those that don't have jobs. Unfair.

2) Do you have any outside interests? I do. I mountain bike at least 20 hours a week, thus I can't play as much as those that don't have other interests. Unfair.

3) Do you have any friends? I do. Thus I have to spend time with my friends, and can't play quite as much as those that have no friends. Unfair.

4) Do you like any other games? I do. Thus I spend some time with these other games and thus can't play as much as some. Unfair.

5) Do you read books or watch movies or HBO? I do. Again a huge disadvantage. Unfair.

6) Do you like to eat at the dinner table? Cook? Take a shower? Mow the lawn? Take out the garbage? Blah, blah, blah. Unfair.

The fact of the matter is that no matter what, unless you are that one person that doesn't have a job, doesn't have any friends, doesn't have any other interests, and devotes every single moment of your life to grinding in PoE then you will be at a disadvantage and will never be able to compete.

Luckily, PoE is a diverse game that will offer a lot of other avenues for play, and I don't think loot whoring is actually the most important aspect.

Again, I understand that the stash tabs are an advantage, but I think most of you are blowing it way out of proportion.

I actually think the real problem with the stash tabs is the bad publicity that it gives to PoE. Grinding Gears Games should remove the recipes because of the bad publicity and NOT because of the imbalance.

The imbalance is negligible, in my opinion, but the ridiculous hyperbole over the issue is a real problem and will probably haunt PoE for a very long time.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
And not everyone has enough common sense to conceptualize the difference between alarmism and practicality.

:roll:

Nonetheless, I note you've elaborated upon your original statement, transitioning from "has no effect whatsoever" to "has an effect BUT it's only X and Y et cetera."

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Well, at least it's pay to win in terms of "you will need to invest more time to achieve the same" rather than "you will never achieve this". And there's always the events, which is kinda like playing the lottery except there are more prizes. I participated in a few and never not got a prize of some sort.

No It is pay 2 loose,because there is more efficient way to "win" in the game.

Rpgsaurus Rex

Well, at least it's pay to win in terms of "you will need to invest more time to achieve the same" rather than "you will never achieve this". And there's always the events, which is kinda like playing the lottery except there are more prizes. I participated in a few and never not got a prize of some sort.

No It is pay 2 loose,because there is more efficient way to "win" in the game.

Enlighten me, esp. to your understanding of "win". PvP win? PvE "win"? Both are made much easier with good loot, which is made easier with Regal orb-scumming.

The dumbest shit I've heard so far on PoE forums is "time = money, so if I pay money to not have to spend time it's OK right?".

The most legit stuff I've heard so far is "wealth is irrelevant to races anyway", but I like the vast majority of the playerbase I don't care about that and only play in normal league.

Raapys

Arcane
Keep in mind that anything you win( or loot!) in a 1-2-3 hour race( as well as the week-long races) can easily be transferred to your normal league characters. So if you are better/luckier than the others in the race, you can make many times more valuables in 3 hours there than 3 hours playing normally. It's definitely to be considered as a potential source of income. It's unlikely that you'll actually win the entire race, but there are prizes for top 5 or 10 of every class, as well as being first to enter an area, killing a specific boss or completing specific quests.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Enlighten me, esp. to your understanding of "win". PvP win? PvE "win"? Both are made much easier with good loot, which is made easier with Regal orb-scumming.

The dumbest shit I've heard so far on PoE forums is "time = money, so if I pay money to not have to spend time it's OK right?".

The most legit stuff I've heard so far is "wealth is irrelevant to races anyway", but I like the vast majority of the playerbase I don't care about that and only play in normal league.

For different people winning in PoE means different things,that's why I put a quotation marks.But still there is real things that you can "win"- event prizes,ladder recognition,PvP and so on.None of this can be payed for stash tabs and give you advantage.Default ladder is not where you can "win" anything,it's for testing builds,practicing for events or hardcore,or just for relaxed play.You don't go to default league and start farming orbs,it's somewhat pointless and if you want to be efficient(and not bored to death) you better go play the game more and looking in the tabs full of rares less.
Yes I agree that farming for vendoring rares is a way to get currency,but if it was advantageous everybody would do it.Just like everybody go for CI or double totem builds.

Livonya

Augur
Patron
Keep in mind that anything you win( or loot!) in a 1-2-3 hour race( as well as the week-long races) can easily be transferred to your normal league characters. So if you are better/luckier than the others in the race, you can make many times more valuables in 3 hours there than 3 hours playing normally. It's definitely to be considered as a potential source of income. It's unlikely that you'll actually win the entire race, but there are prizes for top 5 or 10 of every class, as well as being first to enter an area, killing a specific boss or completing specific quests.

Very true.

Also, if you run practice runs that brings in a LOT of loot. I ran a lot of 3 hour practice runs, and never used any of the currency items as I was trying to go fast, and do well with crappy stuff, and thus didn't use any currency. You then get to transfer all that loot.

Personally, I prefer the game when it is hard rather than when it is easy. And I don't understand the need to have the best stuff because ultimately that just makes the game too easy and thus boring. The sooner you out gear the game and trivialize the game play the sooner your will grow bored and move on to something different.

I still maintain the fun of PoE is starting new characters from scratch and exploring new areas of the massive skill tree. The 3 hour, and other races are a lot of fun because of the fact that you don't have twinked characters.

Also, I should point this out. It is possible to get extra stash tabs for free on your main account. As far as I can tell an unlimited amount that last forever.

Anytime, you enter a timed league (3 hour, 1 week, or 2 week or whatever) and your character survives until the end. Then all of your items are moved to temporary stash tabs and converted over to your main account. You can't put new items into these stash tabs, and once you take an item out you can't put it back, but you can in fact get extra storage.

I never bought any stash tabs but I had over 20 temporary stash tabs that I just used for storage. So you can use the timed leagues to create extra stash tabs of stored rare loot... which you can then use for those recipes.

So there are lots of ways to get extra storage for free.

Castanova

Prophet

:roll:

Nonetheless, I note you've elaborated upon your original statement, transitioning from "has no effect whatsoever" to "has an effect BUT it's only X and Y et cetera."

If you had actually read what I wrote, you'd see that the effect I "transitioned" to admitting was on something asinine and meaningless... i.e., the "problems" with the game that are supposedly so severe that you're turned off by them are only important to people who are immature, irrational and/or addicts. So, saying there is no effect whatsoever basically covers it.

Arkeus

Arcane
Also, I should point this out. It is possible to get extra stash tabs for free on your main account. As far as I can tell an unlimited amount that last forever.

Anytime, you enter a timed league (3 hour, 1 week, or 2 week or whatever) and your character survives until the end. Then all of your items are moved to temporary stash tabs and converted over to your main account. You can't put new items into these stash tabs, and once you take an item out you can't put it back, but you can in fact get extra storage.

I never bought any stash tabs but I had over 20 temporary stash tabs that I just used for storage. So you can use the timed leagues to create extra stash tabs of stored rare loot... which you can then use for those recipes.

Can you explain that one to me in noob-language, as it seems that if you can't put anything new in there you can't really use it for storage, just that it doesn't clutter your 'normal' tabs.

Livonya

Augur
Patron

Can you explain that one to me in noob-language, as it seems that if you can't put anything new in there you can't really use it for storage, just that it doesn't clutter your 'normal' tabs.

You can only put items in there during the race. But everything you find will still be stored for you in extra stash tabs once the race is done. So just do the races, collect stuff, store it, and don't die. When the race is over all of the items you found will now be available in your main account without impacting your normally limited space. You can still put stuff in your normal stash, just not into the extra stash tabs. This does only work for hardcore, but that is fine, because it is easy to transfer stuff from hardcore to regular.

Does that make sense?

I had 20+ free stash tabs from these events. In effect allowing me to get free storage. Not as flexible as paid for extra stash tabs, but still they were extra stash tabs that didn't impact my normal storage.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
If you had actually read what I wrote, you'd see that the effect I "transitioned" to admitting was on something asinine and meaningless... i.e., the "problems" with the game that are supposedly so severe that you're turned off by them are only important to people who are immature, irrational and/or addicts. So, saying there is no effect whatsoever basically covers it.

That's some of the fanciest rationalization for backpedaling I've seen on the Internet this month. My reading comprehension is adequate; "it doesn't exist" is not the same as "it does exist, but it might as well not exist because if you think it matters, you suck." I was quite aware that that's how you feel without needing it spelled out for me—I just don't give a shit.

Kudos for accusing others of irrationality during the very act of presuming that anyone who disagrees with you must be deficient in some way. That's a dose of the good ol' fashioned Internet bulletin board arrogance. :hero:

I agree that in theory the extra stash tabs are an advantage, but only assuming that everyone has the exact same playing time. [...]

Hm-hmm. I don't see much point in being worried about being at an disadvantage compared to the guys who buy extra content when you'll always be inferior to the 15 year olds that devote every waking moment to becoming the l33test.

Livonya

Augur
Patron

I agree that in theory the extra stash tabs are an advantage, but only assuming that everyone has the exact same playing time. [...]

Hm-hmm. I don't see much point in being worried about being at an disadvantage compared to the guys who buy extra content when you'll always be inferior to the 15 year olds that devote every waking moment to becoming the l33test.

Exactly my point.

Castanova

Prophet

That's some of the fanciest rationalization for backpedaling I've seen on the Internet this month. My reading comprehension is adequate; "it doesn't exist" is not the same as "it does exist, but it might as well not exist because if you think it matters, you suck." I was quite aware that that's how you feel without needing it spelled out for me—I just don't give a shit.

Kudos for accusing others of irrationality during the very act of presuming that anyone who disagrees with you must be deficient in some way. That's a dose of the good ol' fashioned Internet bulletin board arrogance. :hero:

I don't see any backpedaling. Although I should have known you're the type of guy who can't discern subtext in what people say and sticks solely to literal word-by-word interpretations, like a computer -- exactly the same type of guy who would flip a shit because some unseen operators are farming faster than him and potentially disrupting a meaningless game economy at some undetermined time in the distant future. Are you an Assburger?

EDIT: Please, please, please, tell me that your username is a reference to The Dark Tower. Because that would be icing on my fuckin' cake.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I don't see any backpedaling. Although I should have known you're the type of guy who can't discern subtext in what people say and sticks solely to literal word-by-word interpretations, like a computer -- exactly the same type of guy who would flip a shit because some unseen operators are farming faster than him and potentially disrupting a meaningless game economy at some undetermined time in the distant future. Are you an Assburger?

EDIT: Please, please, please, tell me that your username is a reference to The Dark Tower. Because that would be icing on my fuckin' cake.
I'm well aware of your intended "subtext" (heh), because in actuality it's a blatantly obvious and vitriol-laden agenda. Ridiculing me for not being astute enough to discern your so-called subtext is the predictable next step in this farce of a discussion. Rest assured however that I'm thoroughly impressed by your vast intellect! If only I were more sophisticated, I'd have picked up on the subtleties so masterfully woven into your repartee.

Interesting to be accused of having Asperger's Syndrome by someone whose day would apparently be made by gloating over the imagined faults of a person he's arguing with on an Internet forum... over a computer game. How much more icing would there be on your cake if I were, say, obese? Short? Ugly? Had a small penis? I've seen countless Castanovas on the Internet in my time. You're suffering from a severe case of unwarranted self-importance.

The actual story behind this user name comes from another forum I've belonged to for around a decade. In real life at that time, I had blonde hair that looked kind of like one of the male Barbie dolls (it's called Blaine) and a youthful face. I posted my picture on said forum and instantly gained the nickname "Blaine," which I didn't understand for quite awhile, because I don't know anything about Barbie dolls. Eventually I embraced the nickname and made it my user name.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
also itemization was terrible. there were not unique interesting items i can recall. all the armor looked the same. probably because it was a beta. and the currency system is just annoying. i could never properly grasp exactly how valuable something was. i would prefer a casual mode of play with gold just to simplify it so i wouldn't have to juggle 30 different types of currency.
God damn, I want this, too. I just want to click on monsters until they're dead by myself. I don't want to have to fuck around collecting shreds and scraps of 30 different items to buy shit from vendors. I'd also like to play offline, but I guess that's not gonna happen. I want to name my marauder "Marauder" and be done with it instead of trying 15 names to come up with something that hasn't been used. That's in the closed beta. I'm guessing once this thing opens up that every name I can think up will be taken. The older I get, the more little things annoy me.

empi

Augur
Patch notes up ^^

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/70479/page/1

From another thread explaining some of the changes, a pretty insignificant change overall but for the argument on this thread kinda interesting:

"In Act 3, you can now trade currency all the way up to Orbs of Chance, Orbs of Alchemy and Glassblower's Baubles. This will allow players to pursue heavily economic styles of play without the need for stash tabs, or just allow more casual players to trade up to these orbs when it suits them. Orbs of Alchemy can be traded up to all the way from more common currency items. They also cost an Orb of Regret, so players who plan their builds well can capitalise on not needing these orbs by trading them in."

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
God damn, I want this, too. I just want to click on monsters until they're dead by myself. I don't want to have to fuck around collecting shreds and scraps of 30 different items to buy shit from vendors. I'd also like to play offline, but I guess that's not gonna happen. I want to name my marauder "Marauder" and be done with it instead of trying 15 names to come up with something that hasn't been used. That's in the closed beta. I'm guessing once this thing opens up that every name I can think up will be taken. The older I get, the more little things annoy me.

You should try Diablo 3!!!Can pick any name in the game and there is only one currency.:troll:

Stabwound

Arcane
Character names are going to be a huge problem. Even in the closed beta it's nearly impossible to make a name that isn't already taken unless you start getting into gibberish words, and names don't reset from closed -> open beta.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom