Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
You can't even come close to having enough alts, ever. They are THE orb for making high end gear, because you need to use dozens of them to get the 2 most sought after effects on your item. It would be completely retarded to make a weapon by alting it to anything with decent mods and then hoping you get the massive enhanced damage off a regal instead of alting until you get the damage. Same goes for any other slot pretty much. The ratio of regals to alts needed is like 1:40. Then assuming your regal gets you a mod that isn't total crap and you're willing to burn some, you need 3 exalteds for every regal.

Obviously regals retain a higher value than alts because of their rarity, but the demand for them is so low as well that the discrepancy isn't that high. You certainly don't get enough alts from blue items. You need to trade players other orbs/equipment for them. Generally players who don't realize how many alts you need to get a Cruel foo of Infamy, which is basically the only weapon you're looking for on a physical damage build. Other builds might be a bit more flexible with that mods they can use, but it's pretty hard to do better than Infamy for anything period aside from spellcasters, and most builds are after either physical damage or a very specific elemental damage.

Raapys

Arcane
Orb drops are way too low in the game though. It worked( or did it?) in the CB since there were relatively few players and very large race rewards, but it's gonna take ages in OB to get anywhere near enough. Think I saved alts from level 1 to 76( 100+ hours of playing and grinding), then spent all of them on a single high ilvl item without getting anything but crap. Ugh. That's not even mentioning the 500+ fusings I used to get 6l without success.

Aothan

Magister
firstly I need to pardon myself for having to respond in a like manner of sentence by sentence quoting, which usually is rather unnecessary and here particularly because of apparent misconstruing of statements

Absinthe said:
Okay dumbass, we know GCPs are traded. I am saying that you're fucking wrong when you're suggesting they're not actually used. The reason they have such value is because they are useful.

the majority of trades involving this currency occur because it is generally held this value will remain stable. In other words, the primary use of GCPs is their basis for trading. As to 'suggesting they are not actually used' which what you have predicated all of your counter response on, by this stage of needless commentary I will ask that you specifically quote me.

Drastic? Yes. Does it happen? Also yes. Freezing Pulse, for instance, is one gem that is typically GCP'd all the way to 20%, from 0 if need be.

that is a good example of a seemingly excessive use of currency since a Freezing Pulse skill gem is commonly offered for trade from at least 5% quality upwards. In any case, we can at least agree it is rather drastic use of currency.

Well since you said so, you must be right. Burden of proof is on your end, tool.

haha well yes I certainly could go ahead and compile a meta-analysis of trade posts and related discussions involving common currency to evince my point but noting there are a number experienced players present I will leave conclusions about contrasting (assuming you are disagreeing) observations of orb value fluctuations to the appraisal of those familiar with these aspects of the game.

You're right that using regals to craft is an unpopular method, but when we're talking about perfect item crafting...

gosh, again quote me where I said using Regal Orbs was an "unpopular method", especially since you go on to note we are talking about optimal crafting which is the actual context of this point where I state the relative use of the orb compared to all others. I don't want to sound untoward here but it is obvious enough you are rewording statements well beyond their meaning, and it is not necessary for me to continually correct you since I trust most can observe the same.

So in other words you fail at reading? Let me repeat myself: "It's the orbs that can easily pump your chars that maintain good value now, not the ones that take a shitload of currency + luck to get you anything really good."

which is presumably identical to this statement: "People aren't going to invest heavily into making flawless gear at this point so naturally the value of these crafting orbs drop". And somehow in reference to either Orbs of Alchemy or Regal Orbs that no one contends declined in value. So they don't require either a great deal of currency or heavy investment but more pointedly they are not even used (or in the case of Regal Orbs are the least expensive of the primary orbs) for dedicated crafting purposes. Their value fluctuates relative to the purchasing interest (demand) of the players who are typically influential by way of frequent playing. To return to an earlier claim I made, I would say this is not a genuine reflection of their value but as I mentioned before the economy is in part determined by prevailing perspectives. To go on something of a tangent it is a good question to ponder just what conditions are required to instantiate change in a system that is partly stablised around collective sentiments.

Well no shit, but when they coupled that limitation with "purchase stash tabs," they created a Pay2Win system.

this is an arrangement of the beta phase

Which ties back into my point: the guy who buys stash tabs has an easier time doing the same shit.

honestly I don't know what mandrolic means. As to easier, yes likely enough, yet not decisive of the issues discussed here which are about a pay to win system.

I'd like to know where that conviction comes from because it certainly isn't experience. I've started from scratch plenty. You think making 4Ls is going to be hard with a new char. You are bad.

I would rather ignore this statement, it is mostly irrelevant by now but I will (at least) point out that four link items will be a valuable commodity at the start of the open beta. I'll add normal four link items were (from two months ago when I was actively playing) still included in trade lists both in chat and regularly in the trade forums.

Also, cataloguing is completely unnecessary when PoE-helper, the program people use for alch and regal recipes, will point out which rares and where result in the appropriate recipe.

if using multiple accounts for storage it would be efficient to both catalogue items and use said program. But even assuming it was completely unnecessary that would lend additional support to the essential claim of ease of use even where multiple accounts are involved.

Now I think I already said "You can make enough alterations just fine out of blue items." but I'm sure your imagined experience trumps my real experience again, no?

there is always a demand for Orbs of Fusing, as such there is never a sufficient amount of Orbs of Alteration

So... you're trying to argue it's better to burn rares for alts than alchs, chaos, and regals?

it is better to diversify in accordance with the advantages of possible situations.

well anyway, respond if you care to. I will try to answer similarly, of course I don't feel a pressing need to respond to all of your claims. At the end I'm not trying to gain your opinion and I do generally trust others can arrive at an informed view that will in some degree relate to our respective viewpoints.

Rpgsaurus Rex

Let's get a few things straight.

You play
1) runs, in which case you don't give a fuck.
2) normal league, in which case the whole game is about loot (which is good, because it's a Diablo).

I couldn't give a fuck about 1) myself. Personal thing. If you play the game for 2), like me, then it feels like shit knowing that you'll never have *nowhere near* as much wealth as someone running a Regal Orb factory. Kinda murders the motivation to grind another lvl63 map knowing that someone with +100 tabs is farming wealth N times quicker (and can afford grinding 70+ maps non-stop).

Anyhow, the game is still brilliant (huge variety of builds, really FUN to actually play with some builds) and really it's up to devs now to not screw up. First, cut the p2w crap completely...

^ to the poster above, maybe we play different games but 4L are common as crap (just ground drops) and worth literally nothing on the market unless you're swindling some noob.

Damned Registrations

4L of a high tier are pretty valuable in a race, where only a few people are high enough level to even see high tier drops.

Castanova

Prophet
2), like me, then it feels like shit knowing that you'll never have *nowhere near* as much wealth as someone running a Regal Orb factory.

So you feel like shit because someone out there, a person you can't see and who never ever interacts with you, is generating entirely meaningless wealth faster than you? Yikes.

Gregz

Arcane

You play
2) normal league, in which case the whole game is about loot (which is good, because it's a Diablo).

I couldn't give a fuck about 1) myself. Personal thing. If you play the game for 2), like me, then it feels like shit knowing that you'll never have *nowhere near* as much wealth as someone running a Regal Orb factory. Kinda murders the motivation to grind another lvl63 map knowing that someone with +100 tabs is farming wealth N times quicker (and can afford grinding 70+ maps non-stop).

Anyhow, the game is still brilliant (huge variety of builds, really FUN to actually play with some builds) and really it's up to devs now to not screw up. First, cut the p2w crap completely...

+1

Gregz

Arcane

You play

+1

2), like me, then it feels like shit knowing that you'll never have *nowhere near* as much wealth as someone running a Regal Orb factory.

So you feel like shit because someone out there, a person you can't see and who never ever interacts with you, is generating entirely meaningless wealth faster than you? Yikes.

That guy subverts the market, and affects every player in the game. Think man.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Less than 36 hours to go! :bounce:

Also, I realized I had one unused beta key left, so if you can't wait: SHLWZ-3M89D-7AB5R-YMHVK

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy

In fairness, not everyone has enough Jew in them to conceptualize economies holistically. A player with an orb farm will generate far more Orbs of Alchemy and Regal Orbs than will a player without an orb farm. Orb farms will have two obvious effects on the economy: Firstly, Alchemy and Regal Orbs will be in greater supply, and thus devalued compared to a theoretical economy in which orb farms don't exist. The effect on non-farming players should be a wash; their Alchemy and Regal drops will be worth less, but they'll able to trade for Alchemy and Regal more easily when needed. Secondly, all (or nearly all) tradable and desirable items within the economy will be slightly revalued (increased in price), since players with orb farms will be exchanging their Regals and Alchemies for a larger share than most, thus decreasing the overall supply of most commodities. This will have a slightly negative effect on players without orb farms.

A third, less obvious, and indirect effect is that players with enough wealth can corner markets, engage in price-fixing, create artificial scarcity of certain rare items (by hoarding them), and so on. The players most likely to be able to do this are those who can place highly in races consistently, and have orb farms for their practice runs so that their loot never goes to waste, and play the game for long periods of time or are willing to illicitly trade real-life currency for people's rare items. Orb farms may only be a modest factor in this, but they are a factor.

These are all reasons to care about orb farms besides being buttmad that some other guy can afford more stuff than you. I suspect the game might be better off without orb farms, but it seems they're here to stay, so that's that.

Of course, there's always the perceived value of oft-traded commodities to consider. Perceived value (e.g. "GCPs are worth 5 Alchemy Orbs") can sometimes fix the actual value of a commodity above or below what it naturally would be if so many people didn't believe GCPs were worth 5 Alchemy Orbs. That's difficult to adjust for, and I actually don't care enough to try.

made

Arcane
Pay2win aside, is this at least more fun than TL2? That was also supposed to be massive incline, but was just as boring and tedious as the first part...

I'm hoping for bigger maps, more exploration, better skill tree to experiment with?

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Pay2win aside, is this at least more fun than TL2? That was also supposed to be massive incline, but was just as boring and tedious as the first part...

I'm hoping for bigger maps, more exploration, better skill tree to experiment with?

Personally, I'm enjoying PoE more than TL2, but all Diablo clones are fairly similar - so if you don't like the genre, then this isn't going to change your mind. I'd say the maps are pretty large and the skill three is absolutely epic, though, so do give it a try - open beta starts tomorrow! :)

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I find the Materia skill gem system a bit oddball, but it works well as designed. The License Board skill tree is fantastic and allows for a great deal of customization; the main difference between each class (other than looks) is its starting point on the skill tree.

Raapys

Arcane
To me, Diablo 2 with expansion and one of the big mods is still king of the hill. However, PoE is the only other game of this type that can actually compare to it. It leaves the rest of the wannabes in the dust. With the continuous development cycle it's going to have, it'll quite likely end up alone at the top in another year, two at the most.

made

Arcane
Personally, I'm enjoying PoE more than TL2, but all Diablo clones are fairly similar - so if you don't like the genre, then this isn't going to change your mind.
I really don't, but I suffered through TQ because the skill system was fun to mess around with.

I guess drop rate mods are out of the question since this is online-only?

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
Personally, I'm enjoying PoE more than TL2, but all Diablo clones are fairly similar - so if you don't like the genre, then this isn't going to change your mind.
I really don't, but I suffered through TQ because the skill system was fun to mess around with.
The only good thing about TQ was the aspergian WYSIWYG loot system, and boy was it great. I'm actually disappointed that PoE is not as WYSIWYG as some have told me.

Damned Registrations

In fairness, not everyone has enough Jew in them to conceptualize economies holistically. A player with an orb farm will generate far more Orbs of Alchemy and Regal Orbs than will a player without an orb farm. Orb farms will have two obvious effects on the economy: Firstly, Alchemy and Regal Orbs will be in greater supply, and thus devalued compared to a theoretical economy in which orb farms don't exist. The effect on non-farming players should be a wash; their Alchemy and Regal drops will be worth less, but they'll able to trade for Alchemy and Regal more easily when needed. Secondly, all (or nearly all) tradable and desirable items within the economy will be slightly revalued (increased in price), since players with orb farms will be exchanging their Regals and Alchemies for a larger share than most, thus decreasing the overall supply of most commodities. This will have a slightly negative effect on players without orb farms.

A third, less obvious, and indirect effect is that players with enough wealth can corner markets, engage in price-fixing, create artificial scarcity of certain rare items (by hoarding them), and so on. The players most likely to be able to do this are those who can place highly in races consistently, and have orb farms for their practice runs so that their loot never goes to waste, and play the game for long periods of time or are willing to illicitly trade real-life currency for people's rare items. Orb farms may only be a modest factor in this, but they are a factor.

These are all reasons to care about orb farms besides being buttmad that some other guy can afford more stuff than you. I suspect the game might be better off without orb farms, but it seems they're here to stay, so that's that.

Of course, there's always the perceived value of oft-traded commodities to consider. Perceived value (e.g. "GCPs are worth 5 Alchemy Orbs") can sometimes fix the actual value of a commodity above or below what it naturally would be if so many people didn't believe GCPs were worth 5 Alchemy Orbs. That's difficult to adjust for, and I actually don't care enough to try.

You're forgetting about another effect: All those extra orbs represent a tangible increase in productivity. The average quality of items will increase because there are more/cheaper orbs. Especially since in PoE loot never gets bound to an account so a good item will stay in the system for a long time, barring deaths on a hardcore server. This has no impact on your wealth relative to other players, but it certainly counters any loss you would otherwise have relative to the game itself.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
You're forgetting about another effect: All those extra orbs represent a tangible increase in productivity. The average quality of items will increase because there are more/cheaper orbs. Especially since in PoE loot never gets bound to an account so a good item will stay in the system for a long time, barring deaths on a hardcore server. This has no impact on your wealth relative to other players, but it certainly counters any loss you would otherwise have relative to the game itself.

Excellent point. I'm not certain that completely nullifies the negative effects of orb farms vis-à-vis players without farms, though.

Damned Registrations

Ultimately if they really wanted to they could still weed out the Pay to win element without pissing off the buyers by changing things in subtle ways. Adding new, better orbs or rarity levels for example, without recipes to farm from stash hordes.

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
I'm in for the ride. Downloading the open beta now.

Marauder is the go to guy if I want a barbarian, right?

Raapys

Arcane
Well, at least it's pay to win in terms of "you will need to invest more time to achieve the same" rather than "you will never achieve this". And there's always the events, which is kinda like playing the lottery except there are more prizes. I participated in a few and never not got a prize of some sort.

Damned Registrations

I'm in for the ride. Downloading the open beta now.

Marauder is the go to guy if I want a barbarian, right?
Pretty much. Duelist can be built that way too though, if you head straight to the strength part of the tree from where you start.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron

I guess drop rate mods are out of the question since this is online-only?

Yeah, trying to modify the game will probably bring forth the banhammer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom