Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

Aothan

Magister
Blaine said:
Well, I've only played a couple of characters to level 60-something, and I haven't played at all (until the past few days) since June. Admittedly, I don't quite know what endgame gear entails, other than the fact that you'll want high ilevel items of the proper type for your build, six (or whatever the max is for X item) linked sockets of the colors you need/want/prefer, a high or maxed-out quality %, and of course a minimum of two or three mods per item appropriate for your build. Also, high-quality gems can make a significant difference, which is why GCP are so valuable. I'm fairly sure that only the Mirror of Kalandra is more valuable.

the Gemcutter Prism's value is more one of convention than utility, as most of these are used purely for trading purposes. The same point of apparent value can be observed for a number of commodities, either orbs or items, which have shifted in value in recent months and in all likelihood remain subject to current opinion. It is an important observation to make about the self-organisation of the culture and its economy, especially with the coming and hereafter final restart. Also there are two other orbs that are regarded to be worth between 2-6 times the value of a Gemcutter Prism (which is again a conventionally established ratio).

Alchemy, Divine, Regal, whatever. I highly doubt the orbs that you receive as drops during a character's journey to max level will be enough to do all of that for an entire set of endgame gear, unless you have a lot of stash tabs and crank out Orbs of Alchemy and Regal Orbs in later levels... in which case you'll be geared up plenty, and will get there faster as well, since you'll be able to afford better stuff in the interim.

I'm reasonably sure no one ever came by or produced a perfect item in their time playing, and certainly enough some players grind endlessly to find, transmute and trade for large quantities of specific crafting orbs. Either way to those ends neither Orbs of Alchemy nor Regal Orbs will be deciding. Concerning those two orbs their value has diminished even post additional prefix and suffices expanding the range of possible name permutations. If they have in fact increased in value relative to established trade ratios then it has only happened within the last two months and would represent a significant development. The irony is I always thought both were undervalued but over time consensus led to a limited number or outright exclusion of the use of Orbs of Alchemy and Regal Orbs to meet a set trade value. However, view is different for Orbs of Alchemy, I suspect those who are familiar with the economy will use these sentiments to acquire said orbs at a questionably lower value for specific ends (jewelry). Whether that is fair or not is something of a conjecture given that with prevailing perspectives these orbs will probably fall into the penumbra of having use yet not being equally recognised as a form of transferable currency.

either way, I'm perplexed as to what the contention is on the matter of purchasing stash tabs since it is entirely possible and feasible, and I might even add pragmatic, to make any number of accounts for organised storing purposes. I have about 30 or so inventory spaces and..when inclined..organise items by weapon type and/or prefix. Jewellery, skills gems and uniques in specific inventory spaces. Items of general trade value according to level and/or difficulty (i.e. Normal etc). Items of no trade value and not readily placeable in aforesaid prefix categories are stored for Chaos Orb transmutations. The gist of which is over time I think it would be more practical and efficient to make accounts with appropriately titled characters that can store all of these materials in an accessible scheme. At a truly competitive level of storage organisation the advantages are negligible, I would say rather it is the convenience of casual storage that may well be the difference which perhaps is the opposite of any issue of paying to win. Not to ramble too much more (and gosh I'm spelling out a few ideas that have helped me play a part in small but useful areas of the player's economy) but there is also a definite advantage in -not- storing all of your items, you want to sell some not just because they can easily clutter your inventory but specifically because those shards accrue as Orbs of Alteration (Transmutation ? The blue variety) which are the foundation of the economy and keenly sought for in large quantities. Actually I recall just before I began playing Chivalry compulsively discussion turned to their misrepresented value (they convert to Orbs of Fusing -or Scouring etc etc) so I wonder whether current ratios take that into consideration.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
The problem with this - as with all P2W arguments everywhere, ever - is that everybody has their own personal definition of what P2W means and that definition is malleable, based on the payment system of the posters' favourite games.

Either way, this is the first time I've seen someone argue that stash tabs are P2W when you can easily make mules and aren't even limited to a single account (since the game is free). I disagree - but again, that's just my personal view, since there's no universally accepted definition of P2W. :)

idriveabucket

Novice
Any exchange of real currency that provides a gameplay advantage over somebody else is P2W.

If 2 equal skill players were playing the game, and invested the exact same amount of time, which one would have a leg up on the other?

A. The guy with $30 to buy several more stash tabs?

B. The guy with $0 who is forced to create several characters and mule?

Answering that question honestly makes this game Pay 2 Win; which taints the competitive-integrity of it as well.

And that's why I will not be "investing" in it.

I would have much rather paid ~$20-$40 for a download, for a game to keep its competitive integrity.

It's becoming increasingly more difficult to find online multiplayer games that don't have nickel/dime monetization strategies.

I come to this site for good critical thinking and common sense -- people defending/buying into this "ethical microtransaction" BS is really disappointing.

xemous

Arcane
well im not into competition i just want a good single player diablo 2 clone. for people like me the default game is fine. i did pay 10 dollars to get early beta and i didn't even buy a stash tab. i stopped playing though because the game got boring in the second act. the games atmosphere, storytelling, locations and combat feel like alpha/beta. not complaining too much since it is a beta but hopefully full version of the game fixes these.

looking forward to final release with act 3, thats when ill do a full playthrough. also, the atmosphere is too depressive, the game needs a boost.

xemous

Arcane
also itemization was terrible. there were not unique interesting items i can recall. all the armor looked the same. probably because it was a beta. and the currency system is just annoying. i could never properly grasp exactly how valuable something was. i would prefer a casual mode of play with gold just to simplify it so i wouldn't have to juggle 30 different types of currency.

Arkeus

Arcane
Any exchange of real currency that provides a gameplay advantage over somebody else is P2W.

If 2 equal skill players were playing the game, and invested the exact same amount of time, which one would have a leg up on the other?

Answering that question honestly makes this game Pay 2 Win; which taints the competitive-integrity of it as well.
Answering that question honestly would be 'the one with more luck'.
Seriously mate, it has been pretty clear thus far that actually using all those tabs is a specific way to play, not a superior way (you can invest your time differently in an equally valuable way), AND given that even if both played in a way that would enhance the importances of tabs (which is dumb for the one who didn't buy tabs, but given that he is of equal skill with a dumb player, it's not surprise), the difference in 'luck' would still be > the difference in convenience about mull acounts.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
The problem with this - as with all P2W arguments everywhere, ever - is that everybody has their own personal definition of what P2W means and that definition is malleable, based on the payment system of the posters' favourite games.

There are some pay-to-win systems that are indefensible as anything but. For example, many of the old commercial text MUDs such as DragonRealms, GemStone and Achaea offer "artifacts" that are very expensive (hundreds or thousands of $), provide a medium-to-large in-game advantage over other players, and cannot be acquired AT ALL without paying cash. There are no "personal definitions" involved... someone can pay $10,000 and their character will demolish anyone who's paid significantly less. Fans of these MUDs rarely deny the pay-to-win aspect, instead arguing that it's necessary to support the game.

I'll admit however that most modern free-to-play systems are grey areas. Some Codexians accused Star Citizen (Chris Roberts' new space sim) of being pay-to-win because backers could pledge for ships, and because there will be a (limited/expensive) currency shop available, but I disagreed—in my opinion, player skill and the friends and contacts one plays with will be much more important than a free ship or two and some bonus monthly currency. Ergo, I definitely understand where others are coming from when they argue that PoE isn't pay-to-win. I've been on the other side of the fence.

I'm not trying to argue anyone into submission. If you enjoy the game, by all means play it.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker

I would have much rather paid ~$20-$40 for a download, for a game to keep its competitive integrity.

It's becoming increasingly more difficult to find online multiplayer games that don't have nickel/dime monetization strategies.

I come to this site for good critical thinking and common sense -- people defending/buying into this "ethical microtransaction" BS is really disappointing.

On what game are you basing your argument?You don't get advantage in PoE for having more tabs,period.You put yourself in disadvantage if you want to gain orbs with vendor trading.There is more efficient way to get them-events and maps.If you spent more time farming maps you will end up with more xp and better chance to get more maps.
There is not a single game of that quality that have more fair free model,except maybe DOTA2(yeah 18 people indie dev battling Valve) and if you think that PoE is p2w you are retard or never played the game.

Aothan

Magister
idriveabucket said:

any exchange which provides a genuine ('statistically significant') advantage, which for the time and effort required and actual benefits involved is not what the additional inventory spaces confer. Also I would say this is not an issue of ambiguous definition, the points at hand have been covered in some detail to clarify just what the differences are between purchased inventory and the use of infinite (and free) accounts. Which in essence is one of convenience, an 'advantage' that is of no relevance to those who intend to collate hundreds if not thousands of items.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
There is more efficient way to get them-events and maps.

You can earn 4-5 GCP per day running events and maps?

Prove it. Link to some veteran supporter quotes, link to map/event drop rates, link to an article, link to something that provides the tiniest shred of substantiation to back up your claim.

Absinthe

Arcane
the Gemcutter Prism's value is more one of convention than utility, as most of these are used purely for trading purposes. The same point of apparent value can be observed for a number of commodities, either orbs or items, which have shifted in value in recent months and in all likelihood remain subject to current opinion. It is an important observation to make about the self-organisation of the culture and its economy, especially with the coming and hereafter final restart. Also there are two other orbs that are regarded to be worth between 2-6 times the value of a Gemcutter Prism (which is again a conventionally established ratio).
Sure, GCP's value is determined by price and demand, but the suggestion people don't really use GCPs is fucking wrong. I've used 20 GCPs to make a 0% gem a 20% gem before. GCPs are high in value because they are rare and incredibly powerful when applied to the right gems.

The reason they are lower in value in 1week races, etc. is because in those races the economy is so fucking weak people need decent gear before they need overpowered gems.

I'm reasonably sure no one ever came by or produced a perfect item in their time playing, and certainly enough some players grind endlessly to find, transmute and trade for large quantities of specific crafting orbs. Either way to those ends neither Orbs of Alchemy nor Regal Orbs will be deciding.
What the hell are you smoking? There are 2 ways you make perfect loot in Path of Exile:*
1) Alch+scour/chaos high level gear until it obtains desired properties.
2) Transmute+Alt+Regal+Scour high level gear until it obtains desired properties.

In both of the above cases one will use Exalted Orbs to finish it, occasionally starting over if the exalt's not worth it. Either way, alchs and regals are definitely used in large quantities when going for perfect gear. Alchs may be used less because you might rather want to use Chaos orbs instead of alch+scour, but guess what orb people tend to sell Chaos for the most? Alchs. And while I haven't seen "perfect" items, I've seen a lot of batshit insane rare gear in hardcore that was crafted with significant currency investments.

*There is also an independent crafting process to make sure it has a good number/colors/links of sockets which I am ignoring because neither process affects the other.

Concerning those two orbs their value has diminished even post additional prefix and suffices expanding the range of possible name permutations. If they have in fact increased in value relative to established trade ratios then it has only happened within the last two months and would represent a significant development.
That's because there's a fucking incoming wipe, fool. People aren't going to invest heavily into making flawless gear at this point so naturally the value of these crafting orbs drop. Plus, there's orb inflation from event rewards. Since the regal is normally low in demand (but rare) and the alch is pretty common, they drop in value. It's the orbs that can easily pump your chars that maintain good value now, not the ones that take a shitload of currency + luck to get you anything really good.

Also, are you playing on Default league? Economy there is always flooded with high level gear compared to hardcore where there are less people, and people tend to die with their best gear.

The irony is I always thought both were undervalued but over time consensus led to a limited number or outright exclusion of the use of Orbs of Alchemy and Regal Orbs to meet a set trade value. However, view is different for Orbs of Alchemy, I suspect those who are familiar with the economy will use these sentiments to acquire said orbs at a questionably lower value for specific ends (jewelry). Whether that is fair or not is something of a conjecture given that with prevailing perspectives these orbs will probably fall into the penumbra of having use yet not being equally recognised as a form of transferable currency.
Way to wax philosophical about "people who know the economy are likely to A) rip you off for good deals and B) trade orbs they'll need less for orbs they'll need more." Brilliant deduction, Dr. Watson.

either way, I'm perplexed as to what the contention is on the matter of purchasing stash tabs since it is entirely possible and feasible, and I might even add pragmatic, to make any number of accounts for organised storing purposes.
Well, for the entire duration of closed beta, making "any number of accounts" might be "feasible" as long as you'd pay for the additional accounts, so right there we know it's been Pay2Win in closed beta. The second point is that muling across accounts isn't that easy, since path of exile has no mail or web-trade interface, so you'd need to multibox your accounts to trade between them. Again Pay2Win. But even without that, the fact that your account has a discrete advantage over another player is a problem.

You can mule across characters on the same account just fine (you can have 20? 24 chars? max on 1 acct.), which I've done, but it's still an annoying process of logging in and out to keep switching chars and move items through my stash. It's definitely annoying enough that I don't really bother muling if I can help it, and I find myself wishing I had more stash space instead. You have fucking 30 stash tabs. I have 8. Someone who didn't pay for any tabs has 5. The dudes who paid for 300+ tabs are definitely having no trouble regalling.

Anyway, if you can get a flat advantage over other players by spending money, regardless of whether or not that advantage can be replicated by effort from a non-paying player you are entering Pay2Win because the guy who pays is clearly having an easier time doing the same shit while going through the game. Considering Path of Exile is a loot-whoring game, it's not hard to see the appeal of stash tabs.

Not to ramble too much more (and gosh I'm spelling out a few ideas that have helped me play a part in small but useful areas of the player's economy) but there is also a definite advantage in -not- storing all of your items, you want to sell some not just because they can easily clutter your inventory but specifically because those shards accrue as Orbs of Alteration (Transmutation ? The blue variety) which are the foundation of the economy and keenly sought for in large quantities. Actually I recall just before I began playing Chivalry compulsively discussion turned to their misrepresented value (they convert to Orbs of Fusing -or Scouring etc etc) so I wonder whether current ratios take that into consideration.
You can make enough alterations just fine out of blue items. You don't *need* to burn rares for that. You know when I sell rares to make alterations? When I run out of stash space. And of course player trades take vendor ratios into consideration. Do you think I'd sell 10 alterations for 1 fusing while I know you can craft 1 fusing out of 8 alterations and still have 2 alts left over? (By the way that poeex.info site for the longest time listed 10 alts as being worth 1 fusing.)

Aye.

Well I already paid for closed beta, but pay4tabs was definitely an unpleasant surprise.

We know.

Welcome to the RPG Codex. In case you haven't noticed, we have our share of retards too. The key is to exercise that same critical thinking and common sense you seek in order to recognize whose opinions do and don't matter.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Ergo, I definitely understand where others are coming from when they argue that PoE isn't pay-to-win. I've been on the other side of the fence.

I'm not trying to argue anyone into submission. If you enjoy the game, by all means play it.

Thanks, bro. P2W arguments often get pretty personal - it's great to see someone being this civil. :hug:

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
There is more efficient way to get them-events and maps.

You can earn 4-5 GCP per day running events and maps?

Prove it. Link to some veteran supporter quotes, link to map/event drop rates, link to an article, link to something that provides the tiniest shred of substantiation to back up your claim.

Here retard: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/65550

The top five players of each class by experience will receive prizes.
  • #1 player of each class: Demigod's Presence (Unique Amulet), 36 random currency items (see list in the rules post)
  • #2 player of each class: 30 random currency items
  • #3 player of each class: 24 random currency items
  • #4 player of each class: 18 random currency items
  • #5 player of each class: 12 random currency items
Prizes for reaching specific levels and staying alive:
  • Level 32: 35 random currency items
  • Level 31: 33 random currency items
  • Level 30: 31 random currency items
  • Level 29: 29 random currency items
  • Level 28: 27 random currency items
  • Level 27: 25 random currency items
  • Level 26: 23 random currency items
  • Level 25: 21 random currency items
  • Level 24: 19 random currency items
  • Level 23: 17 random currency items
  • Level 20-22: 15 random currency items
  • Level 18-19: 13 random currency items
  • Level 16-17: 11 random currency items
  • Level 14-15: 9 random currency items
  • Level 12-13: 7 random currency items
  • Level 10-11: 5 random currency items
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/65552

The top twenty players will receive a Demigod's Presence (Unique Amulet). The top ten will receive TWO.

The top players will also receive microtransaction credit for use in our cosmetic shop.
  • #1: 500 Points (valued at $50)
  • #2: 400 Points (valued at $40)
  • #3: 300 Points (valued at $30)
  • #4-5: 200 Points (valued at $20)
  • #6-10: 100 Points (valued at $10)
  • #11-20: 50 Points (valued at $5)

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Absinthe is someone I'm actually inclined to believe—not because he agrees with me, but rather because what he says jibes with what veteran supporters on the GGG forums have been saying. There is widespread belief that tabs are at least mildly pay-to-win. Comments I've read amount to the following (paraphrasing):

• "I'd prefer if GGG removed [Alchemy/Regal recipe] before open beta, but I can see how that might anger people who bought a lot of tabs."
  • "I have 50-80 tabs and still have to do a lot of comparing and trading in order to match Regals."
  • "I have 60/80/100 tabs and get 20/30/40 (rough estimate) Alchemy Orbs per day."
  • "It's a bit pay-to-win, but you can have multiple accounts. Will multiple accounts still be allowed in OB?"
  • "I'd always just assumed it was meant to be pay-to-win and didn't have a problem with it. They have to get their funding from somewhere."
  • (Perhaps significantly, I've seen literally no one on the GGG forums attempt argue that the tabs aren't pay-to-win.)

Nowhere have I read that maps/events are just as profitable as stash tab orb farming, and the orbs required to make "perfect" (or near-perfect) gear are self-evident. There's absolutely no debate about the amount and type of orbs required to create an item with six linked sockets, 20% quality and 3-6 good mods, although of course the exact selection/ordering of orbs a player chooses to use can differ greatly, as can their luck.

Absinthe knows what is required to create these top-tier items better than I do, because I've been away from the game for a while, but I used to know it very well, and what he's said sounds more-or-less correct. Besides which, you can do napkin math and figure it out for yourself simply from the description of the orbs.

Of course top-tier gear isn't needed for races, and that's a plus. If someone literate who knows what the fuck they're talking about can explain to me that maps/events are just as good as stash tab farming, that'd be great and I'd be a lot happier.

Aothan

Magister
Absinthe said:
Sure, GCP's value is determined by price and demand, but the suggestion people don't really use GCPs is fucking wrong.

the most common use of the GCP is as a trade commodity, if you want to suggest otherwise I would like to know how you arrive at such a conclusion. Using twenty GCPs on a gem is a very drastic action since almost all gem types are available for trade and always for less in exchange than directly applying the orb currency.

Either way, alchs and regals are definitely used in large quantities when going for perfect gear

relative to all the other orbs used the Regal Orb is used the least in the crafting process. Orbs of alchemy are not used whatsoever when undertaking optimal crafting.

That's because there's a fucking incoming wipe, fool. People aren't going to invest heavily into making flawless gear at this point so naturally the value of these crafting orbs drop.

inasmuch as the core playerbase continues to trade and strive for optimal equipment and all other orb values remain relatively constant this interpretation is evidently not accurate of the factors that are producing differences. In fact the reason is probably very much otherwise, just as Orbs of Alchemy hold a special value in events such as the week long races, once players who come to influence the economy (i.e. those who buy and thus determine initial value and its subsequent revision) achieve a sufficient level of itemisation the use of these orbs becomes increasingly redundant. Which is how the economy has played out in both the normal league and special events. So having said that it should be quite interesting to see how players interact with the economy in its nascent stage/s.

Way to wax philosophical about "people who know the economy are likely to A) rip you off for good deals and B) trade orbs they'll need less for orbs they'll need more."

or alternatively recognise the discrepancies for what they are and thus be disinclined to trade at a market value that won't be reciprocal.

Well, for the entire duration of closed beta, making "any number of accounts" might be "feasible" as long as you'd pay for the additional accounts, so right there we know it's been Pay2Win in closed beta. The second point is that muling across accounts isn't that easy, since path of exile has no mail or web-trade interface, so you'd need to multibox your accounts to trade between them. Again Pay2Win. But even without that, the fact that your account has a discrete advantage over another player is a problem.

this is a very good example of misrepresenting GGG's intentions, they have always expressed their intentions to have the game --once made available for public play-- entirely free and without definite advantage. The beta is clearly not the place to allow for infinite accounts that would defeat the purpose of limiting the overall number of beta testers. Muling should be very easy I imagine, presumably a password function will allow players to isolate their instance for transferring items between characters. Multi-boxing on the other hand is not something GGG endorses, they've already gone to some lengths to limit this practice. And to reiterate the essential issue, mulling won't be hard for those who intend to make an active effort to organise their item catalogues.

You can make enough alterations just fine out of blue items. You don't *need* to burn rares for that. You know when I sell rares to make alterations? When I run out of stash space. And of course player trades take vendor ratios into consideration. Do you think I'd sell 10 alterations for 1 fusing while I know you can craft 1 fusing out of 8 alterations and still have 2 alts left over? (By the way that poeex.info site for the longest time listed 10 alts as being worth 1 fusing.)

you can gradually acquire Orbs of Alteration by selling blue items yet that is not the same whatsoever as always having enough. This will become manifestly obvious in the coming open beta phase. Even long-term players who have become accustomed to usually having at least enough resources to ensure a three or four link items are probably going to be surprised at how difficult it is for what they presently regard as average itemisation. So having a particular quantity at an opportune time, namely when players are trying to acquire as many crafting orbs as possible, is a useful situation to prepare for, especially since in these situations the conventional trade ratios are often forgone for a timely transaction.

Orbs of Alteration can be used for multiple purposes, whether to exchange for Jeweller Orbs, Orbs of Fusing, or as a raw resources, for which reasons they have a greater potential value than any ratio set by the merchant's exchange rates.

Blaine said:
Nowhere have I read that maps/events are just as profitable as stash tab orb farming, and the orbs required to make "perfect" (or near-perfect) gear are self-evident. There's absolutely no debate about the amount and type of orbs required to create an item with six linked sockets, 20% quality and 3-6 good mods, although of course the exact selection/ordering of orbs a player chooses to use can differ greatly, as can their luck.

for time and effort events are on average always meant to be more profitable than orb farming. They have already reduced the number of high level orbs players could acquire by participating in various events because the rewards were too lucrative and the economy was becoming increasingly skewed. However this is once again overlooking all previous clarifications that players will be able to effectively arrange any number of items with minimal effort if they care to be organised. So the issue is not fundamentally one of paying to win compared to the effort required to effectively catalogue items. Furthermore, as I said earlier to one of your posts and now in response to Blaine, the orbs in question are not determining of the crafting process, as such they will have relatively modest trade values in the long term. Until then, if players so wish to, they can either use their main account's inventory or any number of alternate accounts.

empi

Augur
I've heard some bad arguments in my time but
Oh wow, I wonder how you could possibly move something from HC to default (personally dunno why you'd play there anyway but whatever floats your boat). Can you think of a single way of moving that? Must be impossible

I've had a couple of late 60s HC chars, i didn't trade for any gear, only skillgems that I needed, and I never used the regal vendor recipe. By the time you're running maps you won't even bother picking up a lot of currency, and ofc you can't pick up all the rares dropped. If you want to pay money to make the game more tedious, I really don't see how that's P2W. Anyway, it's gonna be more fun and unless you spend shitloads of money, more efficient just to run maps, especially if it's with a party

Raapys

Arcane
I've a lvl 78 char( used to be top10!) that I played some months ago and yeah, you really do need tabs if you want to stay at the top of the economic ladder. You'll be spending most of your end-game time doing maps where you get lots of crappy rares, and being able to trade those in lets you earn many, many alchemy orbs. The alchemy price dropped like a stone there for a while. It was at that point that they changed the whole thing and took stash slot requirements from like 15-20 to 50++.

That said, you can play without all those tabs. You just won't be one of the richest out there. You'll be about average, since the majority don't actually do much recipe crafting. What gives the advantage for those with the stash tabs is that you're not actually sacrificing anything to do recipe crafting; it's just that instead of selling your loot after doing a map, you instead put it into your stash. You're still getting your XP and other loot( uniques, GCPs, orbs and whatnot). It's a win-win situation that requires a tiny bit of your time( since there's a web-plugin which matches your stash items ) for enormous reward.

Multiple accounts is a solution and would potentially give you unlimited stash space( running two instances of the game on one computer is no problem; I regularly used a second account/character to increase loot drops from maps ), but at that point you can't use the web-plugin efficiently and the time invested makes the reward much smaller.

Personally I'd hoped they would have put some sort of limited to the number of stash tabs. It'd still be somewhat p2w, but if you set the limit at the point where you had paid 50$ for the game or something, that would be a fair compromise I think.

But yeah, there will always be events. When I played, that's where the ridiculously rich people made most of their stuff. Lucky people would get dozens of Exalted orbs( 6GCP) from a single race, which was just kinda absurd. But since they prevented teaming in some of the races, all contestants are at equal footing for those rewards.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Oh wow, I wonder how you could possibly move something from HC to default (personally dunno why you'd play there anyway but whatever floats your boat). Can you think of a single way of moving that? Must be impossible

Could it perhaps be the case that I haven't played the game in six months, and had forgotten that HC characters get moved to the default league when they die, which is a different way of handling hardcore death than... pretty much every other aRPG ever developed? Eh, I suppose you're entitled to some sarcastic vitriol for that one.

Look, I've made it quite clear from the beginning of my participation in this thread that I've been away from the game for a while and that I only played it for a couple of months early in 2012. I've never claimed to be an expert. If I considered myself an expert, I'd either be hammering you and the other apologists a whole lot harder than I have been, or else I'd be an apologist myself, hammering the complainers.

For every experienced player such as yourself who claims that stash tabs don't matter at all, there's at least one other experienced player who claims that they do. Why should I believe you instead of them? I fucking don't. They have the same knowledge you do, possibly more, and they claim tabs matter. Given my own experiences, however limited/outdated they may be, I'm inclined to agree. What do you have to say to Raapys' assertion that stashing rares to match is barely less convenient than vendoring them, with the help of the utility, but ultimately much more profitable?

In any case, these races are quite interesting and seem to be determined purely by player skill, knowledge of the game (I notice GGG players are often near the top), and a bit of luck. The races please me, the tab-sorting utility helps alleviate the aggravation of sorting through piles of garbage, and to be honest all this vitriol has worn me down. I'll dish out $235 so I can get a gold bird, 85 stash tabs, and a few extra character slots, and see for myself exactly how this shit works after a few hundred hours or so.

empi

Augur
Lol, the GGG players that are topped the last one week race aren't staff, they used that in their name as a joke, they're ordinary players. It does require good knowledge of the game though, as you say.

Anyway, if you think you'll enjoy all those stash tabs and spending all that money, then I guess you're just gonna play the game in a different way to me, but enjoy it I guess

Castanova

Prophet
Hmm, a new Diablo clickfest. Better buy new mouse just for the game. Wait, I have already one of those. It is called Titan Quest. Nevermind then.

Bye, bye, retard.

Anyway, the last closed beta race finished yesterday. Some people put pretty fucking insane amounts of time into it. I can't wait to participate in some of the 1 or 2-hour races in a couple days. Might have to take a day off from work this week :p

Absinthe

Arcane
Absinthe is someone I'm actually inclined to believe—not because he agrees with me, but rather because what he says jibes with what veteran supporters on the GGG forums have been saying. There is widespread belief that tabs are at least mildly pay-to-win.
This is true.

"I'd prefer if GGG removed [Alchemy/Regal recipe] before open beta, but I can see how that might anger people who bought a lot of tabs."
Those recipes are a problem and people know it.

"I have 50-80 tabs and still have to do a lot of comparing and trading in order to match Regals."
Alchs alone are good. Regals are just even better.

(Perhaps significantly, I've seen literally no one on the GGG forums attempt argue that the tabs aren't pay-to-win.)
That would surprise me, because I can assure you I have seen people try to argue this in in-game chat.

Nowhere have I read that maps/events are just as profitable as stash tab orb farming, and the orbs required to make "perfect" (or near-perfect) gear are self-evident.
Nothing is more profitable than running events for experienced players. Especially since Demigod's Presence alone is worth absurd amounts as a collectible (and the only item that survives wipes). Running maps is also profitable, especially with the right setup, but it's not like running maps and doing alch+regal recipes are mutually exclusive.

the most common use of the GCP is as a trade commodity, if you want to suggest otherwise I would like to know how you arrive at such a conclusion.
Okay dumbass, we know GCPs are traded. I am saying that you're fucking wrong when you're suggesting they're not actually used. The reason they have such value is because they are useful. That doesn't mean I wont sit on a stack of them for trading purposes, but I will burn those GCPs if I need a 20% gem. I've done it before and likely I'll do it again.

Using twenty GCPs on a gem is a very drastic action since almost all gem types are available for trade and always for less in exchange than directly applying the orb currency.
Drastic? Yes. Does it happen? Also yes. Freezing Pulse, for instance, is one gem that is typically GCP'd all the way to 20%, from 0 if need be.

relative to all the other orbs used the Regal Orb is used the least in the crafting process. Orbs of alchemy are not used whatsoever when undertaking optimal crafting.
Well since you said so, you must be right. Burden of proof is on your end, tool. You're right that using regals to craft is an unpopular method, but when we're talking about perfect item crafting, alt+regal+exalt+scour is often the preferred method because it lets you roll for good properties independently. In a game where a 600 ES chest piece is considered perfectly good, the guys doing alt+regal can make 1.2k ES chest pieces.

Also, there is a third method for high end crafting, where you simply alch every single piece of good white base loot until you get a killer rare. This method is mostly popular with sapphire/topaz/ruby rings and onyx amulets because it's cheaper to make more whites with perfect rolls than to use scouring/chaos for rerolling.

inasmuch as the core playerbase continues to trade and strive for optimal equipment and all other orb values remain relatively constant this interpretation is evidently not accurate of the factors that are producing differences.
So in other words you fail at reading? Let me repeat myself: "It's the orbs that can easily pump your chars that maintain good value now, not the ones that take a shitload of currency + luck to get you anything really good." And while value doesn't necessarily drop through the crapper, as people's priorities shift so do the value of particular orbs.

In fact the reason is probably very much otherwise, just as Orbs of Alchemy hold a special value in events such as the week long races, once players who come to influence the economy (i.e. those who buy and thus determine initial value and its subsequent revision) achieve a sufficient level of itemisation the use of these orbs becomes increasingly redundant. Which is how the economy has played out in both the normal league and special events. So having said that it should be quite interesting to see how players interact with the economy in its nascent stage/s.
What the hell are you smoking? This is a game about loot-whoring. While people obviously want solid, build-enabling items, having them won't stop them from wanting much better items. The idea that those crafting orbs will cease to be in demand when people have attained acceptable gear is ridiculous, especially when high-end crafting burns through them in massive quantities just to produce a single high-end piece, ensuring demand to consume those orbs.

or alternatively recognise the discrepancies for what they are and thus be disinclined to trade at a market value that won't be reciprocal.
Pal, no amount of verbiage will improve your intelligence. Speak like a normal fucking being. You just said, "Well I don't want to do bad trades." No fucking shit. Nobody does.

this is a very good example of misrepresenting GGG's intentions, they have always expressed their intentions to have the game --once made available for public play-- entirely free and without definite advantage.
Fuck intentions. I am talking about realities.

The beta is clearly not the place to allow for infinite accounts that would defeat the purpose of limiting the overall number of beta testers.
Well no shit, but when they coupled that limitation with "purchase stash tabs," they created a Pay2Win system.

Muling should be very easy I imagine
I'm glad to know your imagined experience trumps my real experience. It is doable though, yes, but it is also fucking mandrolic. Which ties back into my point: the guy who buys stash tabs has an easier time doing the same shit.

presumably a password function will allow players to isolate their instance for transferring items between characters.
I'd ask what the fuck you're on about, but I realized I don't care.

Multi-boxing on the other hand is not something GGG endorses,
As far as I know, GGG does endorse multiboxing. What they don't endorse is getting unfair advantages through multiboxing.

And to reiterate the essential issue, mulling won't be hard for those who intend to make an active effort to organise their item catalogues.
Well now that you're repeating (begging your pardon, "reiterating") yourself, I guess that proves it. Incidentally, even if I mule 23 characters (out of my 24 char limit) and play with just 1, I will still have less storage space than you do with your 30 tabs and 0 mules.

Also, cataloguing is completely unnecessary when PoE-helper, the program people use for alch and regal recipes, will point out which rares and where result in the appropriate recipe.

you can gradually acquire Orbs of Alteration by selling blue items yet that is not the same whatsoever as always having enough.
Now I think I already said "You can make enough alterations just fine out of blue items." but I'm sure your imagined experience trumps my real experience again, no?

This will become manifestly obvious in the coming open beta phase. Even long-term players who have become accustomed to usually having at least enough resources to ensure a three or four link items are probably going to be surprised at how difficult it is for what they presently regard as average itemisation.
I'd like to know where that conviction comes from because it certainly isn't experience. I've started from scratch plenty. You think making 4Ls is going to be hard with a new char. You are bad.

So having a particular quantity at an opportune time, namely when players are trying to acquire as many crafting orbs as possible, is a useful situation to prepare for, especially since in these situations the conventional trade ratios are often forgone for a timely transaction.
So... you're trying to argue it's better to burn rares for alts than alchs, chaos, and regals? Are you serious? If this is what you believe, I wouldn't be surprised if you believe that having multiple stash tabs doesn't really give you an advantage over others - because clearly you are fucking bad at exploiting the economy.

Orbs of Alteration can be used for multiple purposes, whether to exchange for Jeweller Orbs, Orbs of Fusing, or as a raw resources, for which reasons they have a greater potential value than any ratio set by the merchant's exchange rates.
Thank you, Captain Obvious.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom