Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

Gerrard

Arcane
next legue i will prob play jugg coz fuck ggg and whoever pretends to do enemy/boss encounters and have fetish on oneshots/on death effects/causstrophobic boss arrenas and other bullshit they produced for frikin THREE legues straight ....

lets hope this one person responsible for this shit went on cvacations or smth
Play Gladiator bro, last league before block gets thrown into the dumpster.

T. Reich

Arcane
They can't do that though because it would ruin the trade economy.
Why would the top .1% of builds being actually invulnerable instead of just almost invulnerable ruin the economy? But yes, the easy availability of trade is also a problem since it will easily double or triple the gear quality of those that use it.

Just look at the world and what the 0.1% richest people are doing with it.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Oh? What's this about? I've never been a fan of the whole block system where it's something you either cap or ignore.
?? Block seems like one of the most reasonable defensive layers to invest slightly in. 20% block is 20% less damage from attacks. It works way better at low amounts than ES (without some es leech it will frequently be 0 from random dots preventing recharge), armor (mitigation scales negatively with incoming damage) or evasion (just use blind for 50%).

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Because 20% block is 25% more effective hp (ideally) while 75% block is 300% more effective hp. So why not invest 4 times as much for 12 times the return?

20% more hp or phys damage reduction is worth getting because it lets you survive bigger one shots reliably and then you can just leech to full in a second and survive the same hit over and over. 20% block is basically a small chance you'll survive something that should have killed you but it'll probably just hit you again and then you'll be dead.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
20% more hp or phys damage reduction is worth getting because it lets you survive bigger one shots reliably and then you can just leech to full in a second and survive the same hit over and over. 20% block is basically a small chance you'll survive something that should have killed you but it'll probably just hit you again and then you'll be dead.

Yes the trick with leech is generally to be able to survive big hits to allow the leech to heal you, the actual leech will heal your character pretty damn fast.

I still need to decide what to play next league. It has been a while since I've played a melee character, so cyclone is always an option. Problem is I'm worried the price of 2h's is going to be through the roof due to the buffs.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
(just use blind for 50%).
thats not how blind works... ever noticed that blind nodes are on evasion side of the tree?
Blind nodes? When I use blind I usually use a unique/support gem/ascendancy as source. Either way, blind effectively halves value of evasion.

Depends on what you think will kill you. In recent leagues I have had way more survivability issues against swarms than bosses (bosses generally have attacks that can be dodged, incursions/delirium/conqueror masses not so much). 20% block is going to be very close to 1/5 incoming damage reduction on a large amount of hits. Even at 80% block, if you are using that to avoid getting one shot you are obviously doing it wrong.

Because 20% block is 25% more effective hp (ideally) while 75% block is 300% more effective hp. So why not invest 4 times as much for 12 times the return?
The first 20-30% block is way easier to get. Pick up a shield, staff, dual wield and you're basically there for almost no investment in talents or item mods. Since block doesn't protect against everything, it is important that it isn't too costly to pick up imo.

I'm worried the price
ssf will set you free
I'm planning sc ssf dominating blow guardian this league. Should be an interesting new form of challenge to have to find/craft gear on my own, even if crafting effectively in poe seems to reduce to a lot of data mining from poe ninja and spreadsheets. I also stalled a bit in my progress in hc, can't seem to make any fun builds that can do high tier maps with comfortable safety margins.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm planning sc ssf dominating blow guardian this league. Should be an interesting new form of challenge to have to find/craft gear on my own, even if crafting effectively in poe seems to reduce to a lot of data mining from poe ninja and spreadsheets. I also stalled a bit in my progress in hc, can't seem to make any fun builds that can do high tier maps with comfortable safety margins.

I'm never big fan of doing ssf characters with melee builds. The gear dependency is often much more significant than caster or trap/mine characters.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron

I'm never big fan of doing ssf characters with melee builds. The gear dependency is often much more significant than caster or trap/mine characters.
Dominating blow is actually a minion build though. My current PoB is sitting at around 100k dps for every sentinel, and 50k dps for pc. I should probably move around some talents/supports to try and get self damage a bit higher for QoL, but it is a work in progress.

Perkel

Arcane
Menifesto is up

Yuge changes imho that are good.

- removed flat damage on melee skills but increased multiplier
- bosses can be stun much easier but they have stun immunity window after that, stun duration now makes sense and you can't chain stun anymore.
- each two handed weapon will have its implicit reworked to fall into useful base
- dual wield extra damage bonus removed
- many slow attacking skills have their multiplier improved
- berserker rework (but not shown), also chieftain
- slow impale keystone
- big hit mitigation keystone
- bigger life leech nodes that gives slow hitters chance to leech.
- crit multi lowered all around on tree
- cluster jawel stacking limits
- huge warcry rework and buffs
- vall molten shell nerf
- cyclone lost its stun immunity
- starforge nerfed
- but two handed buffed overall
- treshold jewels rework

Those changes are bigger ones than legion "melee patch" which was joke.

Damned Registrations

I was kinda meh on that impale keystone until I realized it means you don't need 100% impale. You could get like just 30% + that keystone and still be getting huge value out of it. I'm guessing the chieftain rework is just changing the warcry stuff to work with the new system, but maybe berserker is getting some goodies for 2hander/slams?

The stun thing doesn't make much sense to me. Unless stun threshold is like, tripled on the tree or something, you still need so much damage to stun a boss that it's going to be dead in seconds anyways, so you may as well have just invested in damage or defenses instead of hoping to get a lucky stun to save your ass. Like, to get 100% stun chance you'd need something like 125% stun threshold and be taking off 5% of the boss health per hit. For that kind of investment you could be doubling your dps instead.

I hope I'm wrong and they made hits fast and wide enough to be viable, but I have a hunch that this slam/stun stuff is going to be a flop because it's too slow to clear comfortably or safely (slow swings also being a liability if you didn't kill whatever you hit) so the rework is just going to mean everyone builds for fast twohanded attacks like cyclone instead of dual wielding.

Perkel

Arcane
I mean they literally said in patch notes that stun is now much much much much easier to deal. That 5% hp rule probably is out and it is something more like 1% or less.

As a tradeoff you can't stunlock anymore as every mosnter gets stun immunity for 2 seconds after stun and bosses get even more seconds. Previously stun was very hard to achieve because of stunlock mechanic. Now with it gone they can just lower stun treshold down.

In patch notes they literally said that without any investement you will be able to stun monsters with big slow hits.

On other hand duration of stun now matters more.

This gives VITAL surv chance for slow builds as it removes a huge amount of damage received from packs which was the biggest issue in melee. It doesn't fix everything but it gives a great deal of survival.

Perkel

Arcane
Well shit. Time to play spectral shield throw raider i guess and there are 2 free slots...

unknown.png

frajaq

Erudite

damn this one can be really bad, I get where they are coming from, but the cooldown on this will fuck people using something like Leap Slam. If you leap into a pack (doing damage and impaling), its gonna be one weak ass impale effect since even if you follow up with something like EQ or Ground Slam.

I could see myself using this on this league starter that im gonna try, but gonna ditch Leap Slam for Dash + Second Wind support

Damned Registrations

I mean they literally said in patch notes that stun is now much much much much easier to deal. That 5% hp rule probably is out and it is something more like 1% or less.
I don't think they changed the mechanics for dealing it at all, I think they're just referencing the extra damage mods and stuff. And yeah, you can probably reliably get a stun if you warcry on your third hit with brutality, wait for a second so your fist of war is off cooldown, and are entirely invested in slow hits instead of bleed or whatever. But then your build is going to be slow and clunky as fuck. But I'd be thrilled to find out I'm wrong and the base damage to stun a monster is no longer 50% of it's hp in a single hit.

eklektyk

Erudite
next legue i will prob play jugg coz fuck ggg and whoever pretends to do enemy/boss encounters and have fetish on oneshots/on death effects/causstrophobic boss arrenas and other bullshit they produced for frikin THREE legues straight ....

lets hope this one person responsible for this shit went on cvacations or smth

well glad was very tempting - it was a toss up between him and jugg

but in the higher end he requires very specific highly expensive crafted gear to get him going and i can run jugg on scraps - its better starter imo and berserker is in maybe if i borred ill reroll

besides they gutted and nerfed to the ground basicly every usable and semiusable cluster jewell so capping that block will be harder - not to mention that they killed for example flexible sentry that was a literal godsend for health of my flask fingers .... fuck ggg and their fetish piano flask bs

tldr: im going with chilll starter that dont need much to get me going into low red maps and i will see then what i want to do .... [ most other ppl start with mines volitale dead or other bs but i dislike their playstyla and minions got hit in a 3rd staright legue nerf so meh :) ]

anyways it will be interesting how hard they nerfed loot drops this time and how hard we wil be strapped for currency ... bonus reditt bichin on frayday incoming

Damned Registrations

I'm going to be running mines because I haven't played in ages and I can slot in a bunch of different spells to try out without being totally gimped. From the patch notes, Magma Orb seems like the biggest winner so far aside from the slam stuff, which seems damaging but too clunky to map with. And perforate.

Also the new fork passives seem like they have potential but I can't think of much to use them with aside from spark because fork is just an utterly shit mechanic that costs way too much to use. They should make it activate after chains or before pierce, not in between the two making it hopeless to combine with any decent build.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
I'm going to be running mines because I haven't played in ages and I can slot in a bunch of different spells to try out without being totally gimped. From the patch notes, Magma Orb seems like the biggest winner so far aside from the slam stuff, which seems damaging but too clunky to map with. And perforate.

Also the new fork passives seem like they have potential but I can't think of much to use them with aside from spark because fork is just an utterly shit mechanic that costs way too much to use. They should make it activate after chains or before pierce, not in between the two making it hopeless to combine with any decent build.

I've never actually played a miner before. I've played trappers many times. How different is the playstyle?

Gerrard

Arcane
Looks like another flop league incoming, I think Corona has affected their mental capabilities.

I've never actually played a miner before. I've played trappers many times. How different is the playstyle?
Mines are just better traps now.

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

Mines now have no real delay between throwing and detonating and work around a mechanic where the more you stack up and detonate at once the more damage you do. So for normal clearing you can just shit them out constantly and keep going while they autotarget and murder shit for you, and for bosses you can build up a huge pile and detonate all at once for some extra damage, preferably with some buffs/debuffs active for extra damage.

Damned Registrations

So they realized stats for the new gems, it looks like if you set it up right you can use 2 warcries to get 4x damage, time it with the fist of war for 10x damage, though that's replacing a support so more like ~x6 damage probably compared to a normal six link. Warcry buff effect would make it better though. In short, you can definitely set up single massive hits that will stun a boss... like once every 6 seconds after spending 3-5 seconds setting it up.

So slams seem better off than I expected, especially for bosses where you'd be killing time dodging anyways, but I don't think I'll want to play them since the setup needed to do that will suck for clearing, with inconsistent AoE for your attacks and just a slow attack rate that'll make it awkward for anything except a ledge map.

The brands seem pretty much dead on arrival, unless there's some really unintuitive scaling of the damage/speed going on. It's not going to do anything without a full link and with a full link it's going to be too weak for a main skill. There's too much useful utility in the game now for this sort of half assed extra damage to be taking up a link.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom