Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
moment-of-silence.jpg

empi

Augur
rocks really shouldn't be 1 shotting you, the vaal smash might though

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Yeah, unless you're extremely squishy, nothing except the smash should be able to oneshot you. Maybe it was an invisible laser? That would be possible if you have really low Lightning/Cold resists, but still unlikely on a Marauder of all classes.

oscar

Arcane
Axes are bad for duelist imo- you should take advantage of your dexterity, crit chance and attack speed passives, pick two handed sword and go all the way to the west of the skill tree for those nasty ass crit chance/crit damage nodes. Atleast that's what I would do on a two handed duelist, it fits his theme.

Most duellist builds seem to go for that Iron Reflexes feat (converts all evasion into armour rating). In fact a lot of people saying that it's outright impossible for a pure evasion build to succeed in the long-run as you're too vulnerable to damage spikes.

DakaSha

Arcane
Im playing an incredibly fun but incredibly squishy frost shadow and evasion sucks fucking ass. I might shelve him until something is done about it. Evasion isnt really random but like oscar says the damage spikes suck dick

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Yeah, it only takes a one or two big hits to connect and you are done for. And you can have 80% chance to evade but with the amount of attack thrown your way you will eat some of them, especially when you meet monsters that "Hits accurately".

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
Don't forget that evasion also avoids on-hit status ailments and does a second roll against crit chance to determine whether or not to downgrade hits to normal damage. If anything, armor is what's voulnerable to damage spikes, since it reduces less damage from criticals.

Gerrard

Arcane
Can you use Unwavering Stance with Iron Reflexes or does US reduce your evasion to 0 making IR pointless?

Arkeus

Arcane
Don't forget that evasion also avoids on-hit status ailments and does a second roll against crit chance to determine whether or not to downgrade hits to normal damage. If anything, armor is what's voulnerable to damage spikes, since it reduces less damage from criticals.
Not quite- Armor is vulnerable to single-enemy damage spike, while evasion is vulnerable to mobs damage spikes. It's much harder with Armor to control enormous damage spike from Bosses, but White/blue/gold are pretty much "mope up" if you gear decently. OTOH, evasion will do much, much better against single enemies than against lots of normals.

Oh, and you musn't also forget the 'fun' that is stuff like suicidal-explosif enemies or other magic using enmies (Arc..) which will ruin any evasion-centric's character's day.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Evasion is fine, but you can't just stack it at the expense of Life/ES, and it's the same for armor. If you have low HP/ES as a melee character, you'll die just as well with armor as with evasion. The closest you can get to only using one defensive stat in PoE is pure ES casters, and those got majorly nerfed with OB.

In general, I think this is something a lot of new players struggle with in PoE. In a game like D2, your skills are primarily offensive, and you take care of defense through gear and putting most of your stat points into life. Meanwhile, the PoE passive tree has offensive and defensive nodes in equal measure, making the tradeoff between the two more explicit. So new players will often just pick a lot of damage nodes, because they love the awesome button, and then suddenly find themselves dying a lot somewhere between late Normal Act 3 and Cruel Act 2. In complete opposition to this, a lot of the popular builds tend to get tons of defensive passives, and rely on gear and good combinations of gems for damage.

Castanova

Prophet
Can you use Unwavering Stance with Iron Reflexes or does US reduce your evasion to 0 making IR pointless?

Absolutely you can use the two together. In fact, most people do. US doesn't reduce your evasion rating to zero, it just prevents you from evading altogether. So, your ER still converts to armor.

RE: the evasion topic. I'm running pure EV with my Ranger and I'm doing fine in Act 1 Cruel so far (granted, not end-game by any means). I also picked up Arrow Dodging and Acrobatics, though (and I'm 2 points from Phase Acrobatics). Arrow Dodging + Acrobatics, in particular, has a huge effect on the damage I take from ranged attackers. With my Summoner Witch, the only enemies I'm really scared of are concentrated groups of chaos ranged attackers. With my Ranger, I laugh at these groups and I'm much more concerned with fast-moving, big-hitting melee enemies (like those charging bone dogs in the Fetid Pool).

Stabwound

Arcane
rocks really shouldn't be 1 shotting you, the vaal smash might though
I think that's what it was. It's hard to tell wtf is happening in a game full of 6 players.

According to this guy he got hit by it and went to 34 life, and he had a lot more armor than I did and around roughly the same max life.

So, lesson learned: don't get hit by the Vaal smash.

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
Merciless Vaal made me his bitch with those falling rocks.

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
My 43 level default league witch need party-mates, anyone want to play together?
I hate public parties due to loot-whores.

Gregz

Arcane
My 43 level default league witch need party-mates, anyone want to play together?
I hate public parties due to loot-whores.

loot-whoring is built into the game, only the tightest group of friends won't ninja. If you don't believe me, just keep playing.

Don't hate the player, hate the game (or in this case, the party loot system).

It kills me to admit this, but Diablo III got one thing right (and only one). Not being able to see the drops of other party members reduces clutter and makes play a lot more efficient. In D3 people focus on killing stuff, in PoE people focus on killing and ninjaing loot faster than anyone else.

You snooze you lose, end of story. It's distracting, and it's a pain. There is so much needless bickering and player division provoked by the PoE loot system. Don't get me wrong, the game is ace, but the "look what you just missed" loot system is bad design.

empi

Augur
Eh you really don't need a tight group of friends to not ninja imo

Stabwound

Arcane
The loot system is only annoying because of how much diarrhea there is all over the screen at any given time, especially with a summoner or two. That and sometimes you just can't pickup things even if you spam click on them because of some kind of lag or because a monster/player is on top of it.

On another note I started another marauder. It's kind of fun absolutely facerolling the early content with an OP weapon. I have been able to 1-shot every non-elite mob, and those take about 2-3 shots. I went to The Ledge asap and gained about 1.5 levels per run through at first. :smug:

sser

Arcane
Developer
Not a fan of the loot system myself. I'm a pretty nice guy. I'll throw back someone's brown amulet or whatever because I don't care. Others? Yeah, not quite the same. And I find it particularly hard to pick items up at times; it doesn't have the consistency of Diablo.

That said, it's better than D2 and D3 so far, IMO. Not quite there with D1 and TQ, though.

empi

Augur
Reading about PoE mechanics and planning out builds and shit is half the fun

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
Orb drops are crazy for me today. Been playing for an hour or so and got 3 alcs, chaos and divine :cool:

Will trade for a good lvl 30+ wand, if any of you HC bros have any.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom