Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

DakaSha

Arcane
i was wondering if there was some way to set up a codex trading thing anyways.

:martini:

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
:rage::rage::rage:

Killed Vaal Oversoul only to get gangraped by fucking trappers on the way to Sarn. And I just spent two hours to get skill gems for this dude with my alts.

empi

Augur
always wear what you can't afford to lose

oh and the boss that does bear trap+ethreal knives does ridiculous damage, i always take the most direct path to the encampment to avoid that bastard

empi

Augur
Argh fuck fuck fuck, got shock stacked in cruel sins and died, ragerage

Stabwound

Arcane
RID :salute:

Anyway, I think if anything is going to make me sick of this game, it's Act 3. Virtually every aspect of that act is irritating as fuck, especially the environment itself. Those god damn snakes that spit chaos damage are not only annoying but very overpowered, and carrion queens are bad enough, but rare ones with multiple projectiles are almost impossible to kill sometimes.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
The Slums are indeed annoying, but afterwards it's fine imo. And since I'm currently playing a fast-attacking melee char, the single most enraging thing in Act 3 is the lightning shield Blackguard Mages cast on their allies. Even fucking Lightning Strike procs it.

Also, I still feel like the Brute miniboss in Lunaris lvl 2 is very underappreciated. Fucker hit me for ~1500 in Cruel, seriously wtf.

DakaSha

Arcane
Well just to test that feature listed in the link above, and to show off this pretty awesome ring i bought:

Rarity: Rare
Golem Circle
Prismatic Ring
--------
Requirements:
Level: 42 (unmet)
--------
+12% to all Elemental Resistances
--------
Adds 1-2 Physical Damage
+37 to maximum Life
1.5 Life Regenerated per second
+14 to maximum Energy Shield
+14% to all Elemental Resistances
20% increased Rarity of Items found
I honestly like dicking around in the trade chat as much as i like farming for shit to trade ^^

Humanophage

Arcane
I am currently playing on the Default server, since I'm still fairly new to the game. My main character, Humokt the Templar, is at Act 3 (Cruel).

The skill system is highly impressive, both the passive skill tree and the highly customisable skill gem system. Designing viable character concepts is interesting, but testing them is less so. The gameplay is a little on the tedious and simple side of things. It feels especially dumb since the previous game I was playing actively was Temple of Elemental Evil. The solo is tolerable, but the large groups are far too chaotic. You often cannot see anything in the heat of battle because of the abundant special effects. What happens is that such group runs are extremely easy and don't involve any skill whatsoever, but sometimes you die from an unexpected spike coming from a source you couldn't possibly notice in all the fireworks. I should imagine the Hardcore mode should be a good remedy to this approach, with people being more careful. At present though, the process is so enormously stupid I took to listening to podcasts while playing because I feel my brain degenerating from this. I recall SWTOR battles being less silly. On the overall, I hope that other games learn from PoE's success, take this brilliant skill system and find a more palatable application for it, involving slower and more tactical battles.

I intend to switch to Hardcore mode once I am familiar enough with the game and have first-hand experience of what awaits me on Merciless. I sure hope the groups aren't as inane as on Default. I should also think that the market isn't so saturated with superior goods, albeit I can see people farming gems and items for their other characters.

My current character, as I said, is a Templar. The intended build is as follows: [link], delineating the possible branches I will expand to from this core build, depending on whether I find my damage or survivability lacking. Each battle is roughly as follows:
- uphold Endurance Charges through Enduring Cry (if the area is difficult)
- curse distant monsters with Temporal Chains
- curse distant monsters with Enfeeble (I have that ring which adds +1 curse)
- cast Molten Shell for armour
- attack, place a Totem with Ice Nova in it to slow down enemies even further

I have that mana regeneration aura and the fire damage aura. One good thing about my build is that it's fairly flexible in terms of weapons. Until recently I was using Dual Strike (with that elemental damage gem and a few other bonuses) and Whirling Blades for mobility. Dual Strike deals quite an onslaught of damage with all the elemental bonuses, especially if you have gear that gives additional damage. However, I couldn't find or buy any good sword/dagger/claw; I only had a good axe. I am now using Infernal Blow as my main attack, which is incidentally a tolerable AoE, together with Shield Charge for mobility. This is a temporary solution, but I am content with my resistances and armour.

I am very pleased by the permanent Temporal Chains. They slow down the game to a somewhat reasonable pace. I will also consider purchasing another curse ring, since curses don't take up much mana, are fast to cast, and give large benefits. However, I fear that without a ring slot my resistances will not be up to date.

Stabwound

Arcane
No, it's just as much of a huge mess in hardcore as it is in default. In a full party it's virtually impossible to tell what's going on, and if you have a summoner in the group, good luck being able to even target enemies. This is one area that PoE fails in and I don't see how it could be fixed.

And yeah, zoning out into autopilot mode is what happens when you play multiplayer in games like these and have no real penalty for dying. I don't get much enjoyment out of playing non-hardcore modes in these kinds of games anymore, because otherwise you're just playing dress up and chasing a carrot on a stick. At least playing hardcore mode you have some excitement and reason to be on the hunt for better gear.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
They're going to make minions untargeteable

Chat log with some questions answered:

bZhtKGU.png

Stabwound

Arcane
Minions being untargettable will help a lot, but damn does the game get congested sometimes. There have been times where I've been unable to even find/target a boss for 15-20 seconds because of all the junk on the screen at once. Also, some combination of skills seems to bring my GPU to its knees, too. I think poison arrow spam is one of them.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Yeah, poison arrow is FPS killer, you have a guy spamming that in a party and shit slows down to a crawl for me.

DakaSha

Arcane
I can almost assure you that is due to it being an unoptimized beta. its annoying but all things considered i am EXTREMLY surprised at how well this all works despite being in OB for only 3 weeks or so

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
Western Forest is also one of those areas, where FPS comes down to a crawl.

Are there any sites where I can check the average value of skill gems? So far my offers have totally been out of touch. Half of people accuse me of trying to jew them, others insta-accept, write smileys and lol at me after the trade.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I can almost assure you that is due to it being an unoptimized beta. its annoying but all things considered i am EXTREMLY surprised at how well this all works despite being in OB for only 3 weeks or so

Well, their closed BETA did run for six months more than planned...

DakaSha

Arcane

Well, their closed BETA did run for six months more than planned...

The biggest change is the number of players which the server is handling very well

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Got another unique today, Shiversting. It doubled my 2h marauder's dps from 100ish to 200ish :D

made

Arcane
Loot drops suck major balls in normal play. I had to set up a gimp farming set with +rarity/quantity gear and gems and grind the Ledge for hours on end to finally see some rares drop. Got a decent unique Templar chest too; not sure if i should sell it or hang on to it for a possible alt.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom