Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

KoolNoodles

Arcane
I glanced at a few builds in the beginning just out of curiosity but quickly forgot them. Much more satisfying to tinker with the skill planner and try out different things with different classes on your own. When a powerful build starts to work out, you feel that much better. Not a "trying to be badass" thing, just adds more depth and fun to a game that invests so much into how you build your character's skills.

I also made the mistake of trying to beeline powerful builds from the start(in HC), when really you should plan builds for different stages of the game. With gems and quests a character should get enough respec tokens to change a significant amount of skills at some point. The re-design aspect is even more important in HC. Taking life nodes etc., on characters that won't need any later on is very important.

Castanova

Prophet
Booya, just got the Andvarius unique ring while farming City of Sarn. I feel like this item will be a great boon when farming The Docks in Merciless.

Also, empi, nevermind -- a random dude dropped WEP for me.

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
Went all hp marauder this time and the guy was p. much unkillable in normal. We're talking "tanking Kole" unkillable. I'm having serious mana issues, however, so I'll probably have to sacrifice some survivability after all. Bloodmagic gem is worthless- 240% cost increase is beyond ridiculous.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Went all hp marauder this time and the guy was p. much unkillable in normal. We're talking "tanking Kole" unkillable. I'm having serious mana issues, however, so I'll probably have to sacrifice some survivability after all. Bloodmagic gem is worthless- 240% cost increase is beyond ridiculous.

Simply pick up Blood Magic?

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
Imo bloodmagic is only ever good with low cost melee abilities and that can utilizie Life On Hit gems. Since I'm using Freeze Pulse it's a no-go and way out of my skill path anyway. I just tried Iron Will support and it actually helps reducing mana consuption by lowering cast speed without sacrificing dps.

Castanova

Prophet
Blood Magic gem is sustainable on a Marauder Freezing Pulser as long as you have enough HP. With a few thousand HP and Troll's Blood (plus maybe the life regen in the Templar or Duelist starting areas), you can laugh at the 240% modifier while still running auras off your mana pool.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
The problem with blood magic passive is that it makes %mana auras completely useless.

Funnily enough, there's a build that stacks ES, links two auras with a BM gem to cut its hp down to 35%, and gets pain attunement. You need a crapload of chaos resistance to not get oneshot by snakes though.

spectre

Arcane
Indeed, the pain attunement witch (or whatever) is pretty much a glass cannon, I used to play it a bit when I got the boots that give you +100% increased item rarity on low life.
I used to try two approaches, one uses blood magic aura to keep the health permanently down but stacks on life regen to compensate, the other had zero life regen and uses blood magic to control the HP, which are immediately brought back up when required.
Not sure which approach is better, in the end summons and decoy totems are much better at giving you some longevity.

Overall, pain attunement didn't feel like it's worth it for the +30% damage alone, unless you have a few uniques with nice benefits on low life.
It's also a bitch to play in the dungeons as your sight range gets severely limited.

empi

Augur
Eh iirc it's 30% more instead of increased, but yeah all it's gonna do is gonna make you clear a bit faster and in return make you a lot more likely to die

Have seen some pretty cool OB builds using Righteous Fire as a massive spell damage buff though, using Zealot's Oath

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Just lost my 50 level op(thought so) Summoner witch to that bitch piety's lightning ball in crematorium. :x
I had three uniques and a blessed orb on her too.

empi

Augur
Yeah same, I also always lag really badly at the beggining of that fight which doesn't help

made

Arcane
Tanked her easily the other day on merc with a lighting res pot; she doesn't seem to use her abilities that often when you keep hitting her (due to mace stuns maybe? idk) but then she bugged out when she was supposed to flee. Same thing happened with Mervail. Got knocked into a wall and wouldn't die.

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Just lost my 50 level op(thought so) Summoner witch to that bitch piety's lightning ball in crematorium. :x

Wtf? I'm only act 2 and I'm already lvl52.

did not farm enough i guess. :D

I had three uniques and a blessed orb on her too.

Yeah, Piety > summoners. I basically hid in the corner and spammed my Skeleton Spell Totem. I couldn't even see Piety.

Yeah, i should have done so. Guess i trusted my marauder friend too much and i was kinda reckless.

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
Finally was able to take the cruel dildo Vaal out of comission. I now realise that building armor is a complete waste of time while hp returns are good. My current marauder has a shitty 8% damage reduction- 45% lower than on previous char- but he's cruising around with 3,5k hp, shitting on everything. I've decided to pick up Bloodmagic after all, since I'm really tired of compromising my gear for mana and Iron Will support gem is really starting to give good dps returns.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Not that interested in basic races, looking forward for interesting ruleset ones though.

Also, "Reduced Piety's Lightning ball in power (with larger reductions in Normal and Cruel difficulties)."

Edit; Nice, two dudes got pked when going for kraitlyn kill. That's why party leader always votes last.

Gerrard

Arcane
You know, if you have to spend 85% of your skill points getting health, then that kind of defeats the purpose of your awesum skill tree and highlights some serious flaws in your game's design.

Also, I found 2 uniques so far and they both have stats of like level 5 items. What's up with that?

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Uniques are not just super uber items with great stats, some uniques have weaks stats but for example stats that you cant get on any other piece of equipement. Also, those uniques you got are probably also low item level because you found them on not that high level map (As in place, not actual map level).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom