Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

DakaSha

Arcane
I beat that faggot 1 shot cruel brutus with my templar btw.
I got a new pc tho so im playign a bunch of popamole for the moment. I WILL BE BACK THO

empi

Augur
I do love GGG, people reporting security issues and they address it straight away, same with the problem with the Shipyard map and they fixed that right away

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Just started playing the game, feels a lot like Diablo 2. In a good way. The passive skill tree is p. daunting when you first look at it, hard to plan character builds, but I'll take it as it comes. So far, I've tried Shadow and Marauder. Marauder is very straightforward, close to boring, to play while Shadow seems a bit trickier. Way too early to tell though.

One question about skill gems, is there any reason not to level them? As in, do the level of the gems you have affect how long it takes to reach the next level on other gems?

bloodlover

Arcane
Each gem gains level individually. So you can just keep a marauder gem on a witch build just in order to raise it. Gems level from xp even if you don't actually use the gem to get kills.

Revenant

Each gem gains level individually. So you can just keep a marauder gem on a witch build just in order to raise it. Gems level from xp even if you don't actually use the gem to get kills.
However, gems have ability and level requirements to level up, so you won't level up a marauder gem on a witch build more than a few levels. And then you will have a stash half-full of skill gems with that annoying plus sign on them, which means you can't level them up any further.

spectre

Arcane
I actually find the plus sign helpful, it denotes that the gem was planned to be used by somebody.

Raapys

Arcane
There are sometimes reasons not to level them. Maybe you can't afford a higher mana cost for the skill without crippling your main attack, or maybe you don't want to increase the int/dex/str requirements that leveling the gem would bring.

Gems don't gain xp if they're waiting to be leveled up.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
can someone (OP, raw?) make a list of our chars so we can cooperate in a more organized manner?

my heroes:

KorwinKrul (HC, main one)
Oksiuta (normal)

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Currently playing as DukkMetal (HC)
I think that friending one character puts your whole account in friend list, right?

empi

Augur
Currently playing as DukkMetal (HC)
I think that friending one character puts your whole account in friend list, right?

Yeah that's right

AllIEverWanded (HC)

And someone make a thread with everyone's names and for organising parties for races and stuff

spectre

Arcane
There are sometimes reasons not to level them. Maybe you can't afford a higher mana cost for the skill without crippling your main attack, or maybe you don't want to increase the int/dex/str requirements that leveling the gem would bring.

Gems don't gain xp if they're waiting to be leveled up.

There are several gems that do not benefit that much at later levels. Most of the auras are a good example, I have a few clarity gems at levels 1-3 which I rotate between chars.
There's also utility stuff like detonate dead which I keep at level 1 and use when there's a necromancer infestation.

empi

Augur
Eh I level up pretty much all auras most of the time <3 inner force too

Some stuff isn't worth levelling up, you should look up what things gain when they level/when mana costs raise to see when/if you should stop levelling

Castanova

Prophet
Did my first one-hour race practice run last night. Went Duelist, got level 9 and killed Brutus in ~30 minutes. What do you do after Brutus at level 9? Are you supposed to run straight for Merveil and hope for the best so you can get to Western Forest ASAP?

Tigranes

Arcane
So we make friends using character names right? Mine is currently Volosinov (because, well, Kierkegaard was taken), though I'm a lowly Level 11 in the Prison and can solo a bit longer till I'm competent.

I actually love the gems for active skills idea, I think it's a really good innovation from the D2 formula. My main thing with the passives tree is that it's just so hard to navigate because it's so big. But really lthat's a low price to pay for the clear advantages I can see.

empi

Augur
Lol bit of a nightmare for the first race, internet went down and I started a few minutes late, then died in mud flats. Remade to casually get a few reward points, got to level 13

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
My witch died when i could be the #1 as there were only a few witches. Should have bypassed tidal island.

Gave up and could not reroll out of butthurt.

Revenant

Put me in the OP as well. The name is Moonthorne.

By the way, I probably missed whether Acrobatics was discussed in this thread. Is it worth it? I'm thinking Acrobatics and Phase Acrobatics are the way a shadow is meant to be played, kind of. Is it worth abandoning energy shield in favor of increased evasion?

Castanova

Prophet
I'm a huge fan of Acrobats/Phase Acrobatics + Arrow Dodging. I don't have hard evidence backing it up but I suspect it's superior to armor builds in a lot of ways. What makes it a bit difficult is that you need to stack enough HP along with it, though, and there isn't a ton of HP available on that side of the tree.

Can you race experts help me here by filling out the rest of this 1-hour race gameplan?

1. Kill Hillock
2. Rush to the Ledge, arriving at level 3.
3. Grind the Ledge to level 8 or 9.
4. Optional: kill Hailrake if you need the skill gem and/or the Quicksilver
5. Kill Brutus
6. ???
7. Profit

I need the #6 part since #1-5 takes up less than 30 minutes.

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Put me in the OP as well. The name is Moonthorne.

By the way, I probably missed whether Acrobatics was discussed in this thread. Is it worth it? I'm thinking Acrobatics and Phase Acrobatics are the way a shadow is meant to be played, kind of. Is it worth abandoning energy shield in favor of increased evasion?

Not really. ES + Evasion is good. Only evasion will get you killed.

Orma

Arcane
Patron
We really need to create a good party and make a plan for tomorrow's party race btw.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom