Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

Absinthe

Arcane
Part of the problem is that it's hard to tell which attacks are absolute oneshots and which attacks are actually survivable if you make a very high survivability build, and HC players are unsurprisingly a lot more interested in high survivability builds normally. A SC player might not give a shit if his build has a 10% chance of dying in any run in exchange for clearing maps two or three times as quickly, but a HC player will. To softcore fragile zoom builds, there's no difference between something that'll hit you for 8k damage and something that'll hit you for 1 million damage. Either way, it's a oneshot and you have to dodge. In HC there are plenty of builds running around that will survive that 8k hit without issues but will obviously still die to the 1 million hit. The telegraphing won't exactly distinguish the two, which makes it less reliable as an indicator, and one result of excessive absolute oneshotting is that it disincentivizes high survivability builds.

A lot of this stuff has to do with the way PoE doesn't really have a good way of ensuring that player builds operate within sane ranges though, so design gets pretty heavy-handed.

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
My biggest wish for PoE is that there was some middle ground between Hardcore and Softcore. All my own ideas about how to make it fall short though, so I understand why there's not. If you just introduce more setback mechanics like the XP one but for, say, items or stats, you're just making a more tedious softcore essentially.
I mean you can already argue that hc is just a more tedious softcore, you just have to rerun the entire campaign etc whenever you die.

Absinthe

Arcane
You can get the same feeling as HC when trying to level to 100 on SSFSC. Every mistake counts.
That's really not the same feeling. In SC you never risk losing all your shit and having to start over. Mistakes just make life harder, and only if they're mistakes that you can't correct easily. Even then it's still an option to grind regret orbs (8 chance = 2 scouring = 1 regret also) until you have enough to respec out of whatever big mistake you made. You get 20 refund points just from questing anyway. HC still causes you to play somewhat differently from SC and trade also makes your build different from SSF.

The big SSF mistakes usually just end up being making some stupid build that requires too many specific high quality gear pieces that you can't exactly grind easily and witnessing how much life sucks even if you're so sure that once you've perfectly completed every item at level 90 your build will be fairly good. For SSF builds, the less dependent you are on specific gear, the more likely your build is to work comfortably.

anyone selling a 400-500 eledps claw?
Just on go on poe.trade. You can find claws like that easy.

Last edited:

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
Don't have to have the same consequences to get the same feeling. The goal is to not die. You'll be thinking, focusing and clenching just the same 99% of time. The only difference is that you won't quit the league after a death.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

https://www.pathofexile.com/trade/ is actually better nowadays, poe.trade is kind of outdated. The currency-site is so outdated it doesn't even have all currency items as options anymore.

is there a way to quickly check if you have completed a map in atlas?

Yes. The node will be "filled out", it will have a tick in the "bonus objective completed" box, and if you have the map stash tab, maps will be underlined with a white underscore.

razvedchiki

Erudite
ok, so to craft a weapon you

- get a base
- use workbench to add whatever
- regal it
after that how do you add additional modifiers that you want? i tried essences but its random, the same with fossils.
i play standard so i dont have the league recombinators.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
after that how do you add additional modifiers that you want?
0dVNyc0.jpg

If you wanna check out crafting, the best resource I know is https://www.craftofexile.com/

For budget crafts you either slam essences/fossils and hope you get a good rare, or slam alts until you get two good mods and then regal + crafting bench. Proper crafting requires many exalts, so it's beyond the budget of most players.

Absinthe

Arcane
There's a crafting mod that lets you add multiple crafted modifiers. They're not as good as RNG mods but they'll do. Advanced crafting usually adds a random mod while using methods to guarantee that only a single mod or limited pool of mods can be rolled.

Also, see: https://www.poewiki.net/wiki/Guide:Crafting

Last edited:

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
Multimod costs 2ex and is locked behind Putrid Cloister, that's not going to help him. Neither is that crafting page, which has a ton of info but no mention of how to actually craft a usable tri-ele claw yourself. Since he has chosen one of the worst leagues to start on, his best options are:

-reroll into an actual league with a caster this time
-ask one of the weirdos who actually plays standard to take pity on him and give him a weapon
-ask here if somebody can give him a weapon that is rotting in their Standard stash
-try his luck with Rog
-try his luck with Harvest
-try his luck in an Armaments Grand Heist

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
Week 2 is over and I'm still stuck on lvl95 and only 3 Watchstones. Maven on DD Necro was very slow. She did almost no damage to me, but neither did I to her. I can't bring myself to farm Shaper for the UElder frags. With no Omniscience in sight, I said fuck it and decided to roll a Champ regardless, we'll see how well it does with the bum gear I managed to scrounge up for him so far.

w2_recap_char.png

chump_gear.png

seven_years_bad_luck.png

I did some Wandering Path testing in Crimson Temple, but so far the only card of "value" was this traysh :negative:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
There's a crafting mod that lets you add multiple crafted modifiers. They're not as good as RNG mods but they'll do. Advanced crafting usually adds a random mod while using methods to guarantee that only a single mod or limited pool of mods can be rolled.

noob: how i craft life on my 3L chest senpai

absinthe: throw 2ex at a multi mod and read the wiki, scumbag

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
ok, so to craft a weapon you

- get a base
- use workbench to add whatever
- regal it
after that how do you add additional modifiers that you want? i tried essences but its random, the same with fossils.
i play standard so i dont have the league recombinators.

You should play the current League, and you’d do well to watch a basic starter guide on YouTube. Zizeran has some decent ones. Crafting is completely random at its basic level and scales up towards getting less but never no RNG - my best advice is to only do some basic crafting in the beginning.

Absinthe

Arcane

https://www.pathofexile.com/trade/ is actually better nowadays, poe.trade is kind of outdated. The currency-site is so outdated it doesn't even have all currency items as options anymore.
I'll have to disagree there. poe.trade works fine, so it's just a matter of preference. The currency site is outdated because no one ever really used that. In fact, you get better trades using the main poe.trade site for currency exchange than its currency trading spinoff, but for the most part currency trades are easy enough to obtain just by asking in chat, so the only thing you care about is the exchange rate.

noob: how i craft life on my 3L chest senpai

absinthe: throw 2ex at a multi mod and read the wiki, scumbag
He asked. I answered. There is a reason why a lot of people don't bother though.

The classic easy way to craft something is to just chaos (or alch+scour) the shit out of it until you get good properties. You may want to slap a "cannot roll caster modifers" or similar onto it before hitting chaos tons of times. But it's usually cheaper to just buy a decent rare than keep rolling for it. Most of the advanced crafting stuff is done only for extreme gear or SSF. HC's crafting community is a bit better because the economy isn't flooded with max clear speed builds destroying exchange rates and giant amounts of players putting almost every rare you'd want on the market for cheap.

There is some basic vendor recipe crafting that is done often enough though, like making perfect roll resistance rings, movement speed magic boots, and weapons that give flat spell damage while leveling.

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
You should play the current League
I think if I were to give advice to a new player, I'd recommend to just play standard SSF. PoE has enough mechanics that the latest league doesn't add much overall (except for novelty for long time players) and playing in a permanent league means you can go slowly and still get the nice feeling of building up your stash of gear, build enabling uniques, etc. For me the novelty of a new league weights just heavily enough* that I still play leagues, but I have considered switching to standard for a while.

*At least when combined with the massive hassle of trying to merge 10+ leagues worth of stash tabs.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
'll have to disagree there. poe.trade works fine, so it's just a matter of preference. The currency site is outdated because no one ever really used that. In fact, you get better trades using the main poe.trade site for currency exchange than its currency trading spinoff, but for the most part currency trades are easy enough to obtain just by asking in chat, so the only thing you care about is the exchange rate.
Literally everyone I know stopped using that outdated site years ago. Stop advocating for it. "just ask in chat" you must be trolling or truly insane.

The classic way to craft something is to just chaos (or alch+scour) the shit out of it until you get good properties.
Nobody crafts like that anymore.

You may want to slap a "cannot roll caster modifers" onto it before hitting chaos tons of times.
If you put a bench craft like that on an item and then use a Chaos Orb on it, it will reroll all modifiers including the crafted mod. You would have to re-apply it each try. Literally nobody (sane) does that.

like making perfect roll resistance rings, movement speed magic boots, and weapons that give flat spell damage while leveling.
Flat spell damage on wands is correct, but nobody makes perfect roll resistance rings or movements speed magic boots via the vendor. Where are you even getting this strange outdated info from?

I think if I were to give advice to a new player, I'd recommend to just play standard SSF.
Please never give advice to new players, thank you.

The game isn't balanced around the SSF environment and is only a comfy means of imposing an challenge on yourself. When somebody comes up to you and inquires about this game of "basketball" and how one should go about learning, do you then proceed to tell them to put on additional weights on their wrists and ankles and play separated from everybody else? PoE is - es-FUKKEN-pecially now - a challenging game as it is to get into. New players need all the help they can get and trading and grouping with others is the best way.

As for Standard, nobody should ever prefer it to current league unless they have some completely broken character that is using legacy gear. Which a new player won't have. You build up your Standard stash by playing the League until it gets merged into Standard at the end. At least in League SSF you have the option to migrate into an active trade environment, if you find it too challenging. In Standard SSF this isn't possible. Besides, the current new player Razvedchiki wants to play Lightning Strike with a tri-ele claw and the best way to craft one is to use the Weapon Recombinators from current league! Doesn't add much my ass. :argh:

Absinthe

Arcane
Literally everyone I know stopped using that outdated site years ago. Stop advocating for it. "just ask in chat" you must be trolling or truly insane.
It's really a matter of preference for the most part. As for asking in chat, maybe the softcore chat is an insane shitshow or something (Wouldn't surprise me. SC chat is usually much worse than HC's.) but unless you need rare orbs you can usually arrange a currency trade easily enough.

Nobody crafts like that anymore.
People definitely still craft like that in SSF. Even outside SSF you can do it and there are still some people who do do it (usually if you manage to get a 6L base or something). You'll blow through large amounts of chaos but it still gets you decent rares.

If you put a bench craft like that on an item and then use a Chaos Orb on it, it will reroll all modifiers including the crafted mod. You would have to re-apply it each try. Literally nobody (sane) does that.
Fair point. Outside of locking prefixes and suffixes metacrafting mods shouldn't be too good an idea. I guess it's easiest to just stick to items that are incapable of rolling certain classes of modifiers in the first place.

As for sanity, well, people do loads of crazy, stupid, and bizarre shit in PoE.

Flat spell damage on wands is correct, but nobody makes perfect roll resistance rings or movements speed magic boots via the vendor. Where are you even getting this strange outdated info from?
Been playing HC Path of Exile since it was in closed beta. It worked then. Still works now. The items are still useful. I've also crafted perfect roll amulets this way.

And the movement speed boots recipe is fairly popular, last I checked.

razvedchiki

Erudite
Been playing HC Path of Exile since it was in closed beta. It worked then. Still works now. The items are still useful. I've also crafted perfect roll amulets this way.

And the movement speed boots recipe is fairly popular, last I checked.

if you want to add more modifiers after that you regal them and exalt them?

Absinthe

Arcane
It's usually not worth the trouble to play with regal+exalt just for vendor recipe properties like that. The main use of vendor crafting into rare crafting is for perfect roll implicits and then you use alch, essences, or whatever. You can definitely do that though. It's just that you're wasting a ton of money when trading a single exalt could've bought you a much, much better item than you are likely to craft this way.

What you can do is just use an Orb of Augmentation, then Regal Orb, then use the Crafting Bench to add a single not-too-expensive property and leave it at that. That works. Not sure how great of an investment it is but it's affordable and viable, if you want it. If you want to try to rig the rolls a bit more, you can basically start over after every Orb of Augmentation if you don't like your magic properties. Augs are rather cheap anyway. You can also do the same after Regal Orbs (ie. start over from step 1), but then it's starting to actually cost a bit of money.

The problem with crafting with exalts is that a single exalt is worth around 170 chaos in softcore and around 100-120 in hardcore. If you're going to blow that kind of money on crafting, you're better off doing like I said and taking the chaos and just throwing them at a good implicit base item until it rolls properties that are good enough for you. With 100+ attempts your odds of generating something nice are pretty decent. If you do this, check if you have an item base that cannot roll too many categories of undesirable properties (ie. defenses you don't want, caster/attack modifiers you don't want, etc). You can still do it otherwise, but it will cost you a lot more chaos until you roll something nice.

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
The problem with crafting with exalts is that a single exalt is worth around 170 chaos in softcore and around 100-120 in hardcore. If you're going to blow that kind of money on crafting, you're better off doing like I said and taking the chaos and just throwing them at a good implicit base item until it rolls properties that are good enough for you. With 100+ attempts your odds of generating something nice are pretty decent.
Of course, the thing to remember is that 1 exalt will usually buy you a much better item than you can craft. So if you are in trade, using exalt for crafting is really only something you do if you are trying to craft an item so perfect or so niche that the market doesn't have it. Just buy a rare with really good mods instead of throwing 100c at it in crafting.

When I was in trade, the only thing I crafted was flasks (which is pretty trivial with beastcrafts). And I hear prices are a lot lower in SC than HC, so there's probably even less reason to craft in SC.

Seems a 500 DPS claw costs like 5c-10c in league standard. It's been more than a year since I was in trade, but that seem very cheap for such a high dps weapon (even after discounting that it's split among 2 elements and physical).

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
Pretty much what Jaedar said.

But I have to correct my earlier suggestion of taking the chaos and directly applying them. Considering the softcore exchange rates, if you trade the (or original exalt) chaos for alchs and scourings, you can actually turn 1ex=170chaos into around 350 scourings + 350 alchs, giving you 350 attempts to make a decent rare out of a base item. By the same token in hardcore you can get a bit over 200 alchs and 200 scourings for 1 exalt.

So trading for alchs+scourings gives you a ton more attempts at rerolling rare properties than using chaos directly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom