Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
God forbid you actually want to exchange some currency without whispering 30 price fixers first.
God forbid retards stop complaining about the same issue for 7years asking for an AH, knowing full well IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN, instead of becoming learning animals and not whispering people at the top of the list. Or selling their currency for the one they want, only to be spammed by 15 people at the same time and having whatever currency you wanted within seconds. Mindboggling.

The only valid complaint about trading at this point is if the API is having issues that leads to listing delays, or if you're a completely new player. But anyone who's played the game for more than 2 leagues and still has troubles trading for the items the want, is simply too stupid to use the system. It's a wonky system, sure, but an AH doesn't fix stupidity. It would make price-fixing worse, but dumbfucks never seem to understand that concept.

Also, can we appreciate the scam GGG did on all the people who ever made Exalt divination cards.
I'm guessing they'll be changing some of the Exalted Cards to Divine Cards once they've reached out to the original creators. Something like Saints Treasure would frankly make more sense for Divine Orbs, just due to the naming of the card, and the purpose of the card would remain the same still.

Last edited:

Gerrard

Arcane
Also, can we appreciate the scam GGG did on all the people who ever made Exalt divination cards.
I'm guessing they'll be changing some of the Exalted Cards to Divine Cards once they've reached out to the original creators. Something like Saints Treasure would frankly make more sense for Divine Orbs, just due to the naming of the card, and the purpose of the card would remain the same still.
They won't.
https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/wqcuvf/brothers_stash_wont_be_getting_a_change/
Hey everyone! I am the creator of the Brother's Stash divination card and just wanted to let everyone know that the card will not be getting changed. I reached out to GGG and they declined to change it basically saying it would open the door for others to have theirs changed which is definitely fair and makes sense. I then offered to pay to have it changed in lieu of paying for another card as I don't really want 2 cards, just want the original card to be as strong as it was when it was designed. After a few days of not hearing a response back and getting my hopes up, I was told that that was not going to be an option as well.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
. Since Trickster has no critical bonuses seems he can only work as DoT or some non crit build so I was thinking maybe going this new Shock thing.
690% more damage for the purposes of shocking does sound like a lot, but I have no idea if it would be sufficient to shock (map) bosses without ridonk gear(EDIT: PoB says, yeah, you can easily shock Sirus with a 4L if you use the new support and get some shock effect from the passive tree).

I am probably giving up on trickster poison, scaling poison dps is just 2 hard for anything that isn't a spammy assassin. Might do 3 skill lightning build trickster instead.
I don't care about bosses, I just want to do up to t16 red maps without dying multiple times in each. And without needing to reroll mods 5 times per map before finding right combination that will not murder me even more.
How are you doing red maps without doing bosses?
Iirc there is a map mod which is like 50% chance for monsters to evade ailments, but I'm not sure of the exact wording. I guess you'd have problems with ele reflect as well.
Also remember that es leech caps at 10% by default, which is half of what life caps at. Imo, a leech cap below at least 30% feels incredibly low in practice, you want at least 50%.
But shits changed a lot, dunno how viable it is now, especially since Fire Storm changed.
My feeling is firestorm has been completely nonviable since they added a cap to how many of them you can have active at the same time, it always got huge parts of its damage from multiplicatively stacking duration bonuses.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
They won't.
I didn't expect it to happen immediately, as they definitely wanna monitor the effects it has on the economy as a whole before making any decisions on how to proceed further. I wouldn't be surprised if they change their tune if exalt turns out to be 20-25c (which is what we had in previous leagues with no proper ex sinks) and divines are sitting at 300+. Time will tell I guess.

Reever

Scholar
Patron
It's a wonky system, sure, but an AH doesn't fix stupidity. It would make price-fixing worse, but dumbfucks never seem to understand that concept.
To say that the trading in this game is "wonky" when for most of the time you had to use a third party website and for consoles you have to learn Regex to find an item is understatement of the fucking year. There have been so many improvements brought up by the community to make trading a better experience, ones that don't involve turning it into an AH, but they won't do it because in their mind that would lower their player retention. You'll instead get these band-aids every once in a while when they need some positive PR.
But I guess it always could be worse. You could try to trade without a premium stash.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
1) Who gives a fuck about consoles?
2) Who cares that you had to use third-party websites/tools? People used paper and pencils to map out dungeons, and are still using a variety of different third-party tools to ease their life in virtually every multiplayer game, because the game itself does not offer the quality of life or exact features third-party tools specifically develop. Player-developed add-ons and mods are the norm, not the exception.
3) You fail to understand the notion of "trade should not become easier/faster". Which one of these words is confusing you?

Agreed on the Premium tab point. I'm still surprised they havent given out one for free at some point.

BanEvader

God forbid retards stop complaining about the same issue for 7years asking for an AH, knowing full well IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN, instead of becoming learning animals and not whispering people at the top of the list. Or selling their currency for the one they want, only to be spammed by 15 people at the same time and having whatever currency you wanted within seconds. Mindboggling.
Maybe they're complaining because they have a valid point to complain over?
Hope you're happy with the taste of Chris Wilson's cum, fucking retard.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
Ah yes, because I firmly believe the dev to be correct about an AH ruining the game (not like it didn't happen countless times before in other games) I must be sucking GGGs dick. Sorry that I don't take the "valid points to complain" seriously when it comes from people who have issues scrolling down a page past the pricefixers, or who lack the intellectual capacity to set up a buy order to save themselves the time. Better spend it to whine about the lack of an AH on reddit or the codex. For 5+ years. Smart people.

BanEvader

Ah yes, because I firmly believe the dev to be correct about an AH ruining the game (not like it didn't happen countless times before in other games) I must be sucking GGGs dick. Sorry that I don't take the "valid points to complain" seriously when it comes from people who have issues scrolling down a page past the pricefixers, or who lack the intellectual capacity to set up a buy order to save themselves the time. Better spend it to whine about the lack of an AH on reddit or the codex. Smart.
What are the negatives of including an AH?

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I think some of those arguments are stupid: Most people already get almost all of their gear upgrades from trade, there's already a huge wealth disparity between players and the challenge in PoE is largely just how many hours you put in to grind out good drops/currency.

I think it is true that easier trade would mean people "finished" faster which goes against GGGs goals as a company, I just don't think making something tedious and boring is a good way to design a game.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
Trade is fine in smaller leagues like private leagues or HC Trade. It doesn't scale well with the absolutely overrun SC Trade economy, but from what I understand players are adapting with their little gay tools that spam the API until it breaks or "bulkers" who buyout entire specialized tabs from people and provide all the fragments in bulk for buyers afterwards. I can see how it can get really annoying if you're constantly trying to buy shit, but that's the point isn't it? Stop being a hideout warrior and play the goddamn game :argh:

New Trickster looks interesting at first, but when you actually start theorizing builds for it, you notice that there is always some other Ascendancy that does it better. New Trickster also suffers from the same "no damage" issue that Jugg has. The Ascendancy synergizes with Energy Shield, but ES is in a weak spot currently. Additionally, there are currently few or no skills in the game that can take advantage of the Energy Shield Leech Support to offset the lack in offensive power that the Trickster suffers from. It's not trash by any means and with good gear it will probably play fine enough, but I wouldn't play it as my starter. It provides great nodes for the Assassin to utilize via Forbidden Jews though, eksDE.

making something tedious and boring is a good way to design a game.
Giving people instant gratification is a mobile game way of design.

there's already a huge wealth disparity between players and the challenge in PoE is largely just how many hours you put in to grind out good drops/currency.
The wealth disparity is proportional to the effort you put in. With an instant AH built-in, hideout warriors would effortlessly outpace any currency strat that relies on actually playing the game. Flipping is still one of the most profitable things to do in the game, but most people find it extremely aids and don't do it for longer than a couple of days to kickstart their character. I can't speak mandarin, but I would be curious to hear about their economy and how incentivized they are to play the game vs just trading on the AH.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
I think some of those arguments are stupid: Most people already get almost all of their gear upgrades from trade, there's already a huge wealth disparity between players and the challenge in PoE is largely just how many hours you put in to grind out good drops/currency.
No, most people do not. You're projecting your experience of the game as an "advanced user" onto the wider population of the game. You might consider yourself to be a casual gamer, but you are not. The casual gamers are the ones that play for weeks or even 2+ months and dont make it into red maps. It's the people that watch a shitty build guide and thank the creator because it allowed them to kill the Maven for the first time. It's the people using tradechat instead of the trading website. Or those that never traded a single time in their 6months of playing.

The way "advanced users" use the trade-site is already very similar to an auction house, you're absolutely correct about that. But a fairly large percentage of the playerbase does not, and adding an in-game AH will definitely affect those players experience with the game, and not in a positive way. Since you and many others are already using the trade-site like an AH, what would the net benefit be of spending a shitton of resources to making it a reality in-game? It would barely affect you, it would widen the wealth gap, price fixing, flipping and botting would get a lot worse, and the only benefit it provides is that retards who are too dumb to use the trade-site correctly would stop complaining about this one specific issue theyre having.

Time is a resource in PoE, and a very valuable one at that. I quite like that. That's why selling things in bulk nets you a higher price, it's why mediocre items still have value, it's why low-tier currency is a lot more valuable than it would be with an AH in the game, and it's why I routinely overpay in order to make a quick buy for something I need *right now*. Retards continue to complain about having to whisper 15 different sellers to buy a tabula for 12c, wondering why they get no responses when they're competing with 30 other dumbfucks who try to do the same thing, while you could just pay a few extra chaos to buy the item immediately with no competition. In the time you save you can farm more currency than what you overpayed anyway. But people suck at valuing their own time and feel they are "entitled" to buy an item at the listed price, not understanding that just because an item is listed at a specific price, does not mean that is its actual market value.
I just don't think making something tedious and boring is a good way to design a game.
I fail to understand the tedious and boring part. What about the trade is tedious or boring? You want an item, you look for what you want, you buy it off of a player. You want to sell an item, you put it up on your tab, you sell it. What's tedious about this, other than having a very short player interaction with another human being?

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
New Trickster also suffers from the same "no damage" issue that Jugg has.
I mean sorta yeah, but you can fairly easily get some 20%+ more damage from the mastery node, which is not amazing as its the only node that does anything offensively but it is more than the jugg gets.
Giving people instant gratification is a mobile game way of design.
I think both of us agree that trade is not really playing the game, yes? Therefore I say they should either remove it or make it not actively painful to use.

Otherwise we'll have to start making arguments about how shift clicking to move items is bad, and how identifying items should have a short timer and animation. Wouldn't want anyone to be instantly gratified, now would we?
No, most people do not. You're projecting your experience of the game as an "advanced user" onto the wider population of the game. You might consider yourself to be a casual gamer, but you are not. The casual gamers are the ones that play for weeks or even 2+ months and dont make it into red maps. It's the people that watch a shitty build guide and thank the creator because it allowed them to kill the Maven for the first time. It's the people using tradechat instead of the trading website. Or those that never traded a single time in their 6months of playing.
Lets be real here for a second. "Normal" players don't even make it to act5 half the time, let alone maps. They're probably not going to engage with trading at all as it is currently and I don't think they'd engage with the auction house directly anyway (you don't exactly have much currency worth trading for in act2).

I don't really know about the type of "advanced casual" who looks up shitty youtube guides and goes a small bit into maps, but I'd guess they are quickly going to find the trade site and replace most of their self found gear with market upgrades as the definition we seem to be going with is that they're someone who googles information. I am told great but not endgame quality gear is incredibly cheap outside of HC. And even in HC I was getting almost all my gear upgrades from trade. Would probably have gotten more, if not for the pain of trading.

But people suck at valuing their own time and feel they are "entitled" to buy an item at the listed price, not understanding that just because an item is listed at a specific price, does not mean that is its actual market value.
Are you an american perhaps? I feel like accepting paying a different price at the register than what's listed at the shelf is something only a kwan would accept. And of course the real problem is that the PoE marketplace is thoroughly unsuited for the number of trades going on.

Imagine thinking people wanting to buy an item for as cheap as possible is a problem. Also I tried overpaying, it barely works any more reliably.

I fail to understand the tedious and boring part. What about the trade is tedious or boring? You want an item, you look for what you want, you buy it off of a player. You want to sell an item, you put it up on your tab, you sell it. What's tedious about this, other than having a very short player interaction with another human being?
Are you actually serious?
You tab out of the game. Already here we can tell something is off when the first step of a vital in game action is to tab outside the game.
You fill in a spreadsheets worth of mods and value weights (for rare, unique you just type in the name most of the time).
Then you start pming people with the copy paste the trade site gives you. Wait 30 seconds to give them a chance to reply, which they frequently won't. Give up on buying the best item, and move down the list into worse items. Eventually find someone who replies (hopefully, otherwise, fill in another spreadsheet).
Accept party invite, go to their hideout, fish your currency out of the stash, wait for them to fish the item out of their stash, do the trade.
Say gl hf or whatever the standard goodbye is (usually your first and only time writing a message to the other person).

This feels more like filling in government paperwork than playing an aRPG. Most of it takes place outside the game itself, with you just copy pasting stuff into the chat. Calling it interaction with another human being feels incredibly generous, and the entire time you're hoping you're actually pming a bot, since they'll reply instantly and never be busy.

EDIT: The challenge rewards for this league look pretty cool. Shame I'll never get them.

Last edited:

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
I think I know what the issues is. You're playing on a single monitor and you're trying to buy 1c items past day 2.

In that case, it would be quite aids. But IMO that's a l2p issue and be nice to yourself and buy a 2nd monitor. Also, consider joining a guild and just yoink the shitty items they put in gstash. I'm sure that will be enough for yellow maps or whatever your goal is for the league.

LSF so boring today, that the PoE drama spilled over: https://old.reddit.com/r/LivestreamFail/comments/wr0gnb/path_of_exile_streamers_having_beef_bc_of/

Last edited:

Saark

Arcane
Patron
Are you an american perhaps? I feel like accepting paying a different price at the register than what's listed at the shelf is something only a kwan would accept. And of course the real problem is that the PoE marketplace is thoroughly unsuited for the number of trades going on.
No. German, actually.
Imagine thinking people wanting to buy an item for as cheap as possible is a problem. Also I tried overpaying, it barely works any more reliably.
Here's what you don't seem to understand: An AH wouldn't fix those issues. See that Tabula that gets listed for 12c instead of 13 like every other one? A bot would scrape that information much faster than any human could do, buys it, relists it for 13 for that 1c gain. You still wouldn't be able to buy the item at that low a price, just like you aren't able to now. The difference is that sometimes, rarely, you can get lucky and actually get the cheap version. But it costs you your time. Do you value your time at 1c? I don't. So knowing full well that there's a real risk of me sitting around for 5 minutes whispering people for 12c and even 13c, I instead decide to just filter for >14, get one within 15seconds, and then I map those 5 minutes instead.

The same concept applies to bulk sales in PoE. Everywhere on the planet you pay less if you buy things on mass. Not in PoE, because the time it would take to whisper 50 different sellers for 1 Essence each is worth something. So the guy selling 50 at once can mark up the price and it is still a better deal. Unless you don't value your time that high, then you do it one by one. Or set up a buy order and let people come to you.
You tab out of the game. Already here we can tell something is off when the first step of a vital in game action is to tab outside the game.
When I die to some new enemy I've never seen before in ADOM or DCSS I tab out and check their mods and abilities to figure out a way to not die next time as well. Doesn't feel cumbersome to me. When I use a talent or build calculator in any game to better plan out my characters, that doesn't feel cumbersome either. Maybe this is just an opinion thing, idk, but to me those are as much part of the game as the game itself.
You fill in a spreadsheets worth of mods and value weights (for rare, unique you just type in the name most of the time).
Then you start pming people with the copy paste the trade site gives you. Wait 30 seconds to give them a chance to reply, which they frequently won't. Give up on buying the best item, and move down the list into worse items. Eventually find someone who replies (hopefully, otherwise, fill in another spreadsheet).
Accept party invite, go to their hideout, fish your currency out of the stash, wait for them to fish the item out of their stash, do the trade.
Say gl hf or whatever the standard goodbye is (usually your first and only time writing a message to the other person).
It's clear to me why we have different experiences with trading.
1) Unless we're talking about very specific jewels, the filling in of the information takes 15-20 seconds, at most. This process would still exist with an AH, by the way. You would still have to open the AH interface and apply all the appropriate filters, before you can actually browse all the available options.
2) Your defition of "best" isn't accurate. It's cheapest. The best items are sold at much higher cost, because they have better rolls. That's why a perfect Kaoms roots sells for 30c+, while a random one sells for 1c. Wanna know the odds of you and someone else simultaneously whispering the seller for that 30c item? Virtually zero. You get a response instantly if you actually wanted to buy the "best" item. But you don't. You want to buy the cheapest item. Wanna know the issue with an AH here? That cheapest item wouldnt even show, because it would be bought out instantly by botters that flip it for small gains every single time. Unless it's price-fixed, ofc, which would mean you pay much more than with the current system.
3) Having to load into peoples hideout, which oftentimes means going into another region and having major lag, is definitely annoying. Time loss here is about 5-10seconds. Big deal.
4) "Fish your currency out of the stash". Are you retarded? Do you actually zone into someone elses hideout and then look for the stash in that hideout and take out the currency before trading? Please let me know so I can put you on ignore so you never buy an item from me ever. You just whined about spending minutes waiting for replies, how about you take out the currency in that time. Also, you do know you can whisper multiple people, right? There's no law prohibiting you from whispering a second or a third seller immediately.
5) Use a macro? Or just don't say anything. It's not like you're gonna say "glhf" to the Auction House you all seem to want so much.

All things considered, you're wasting a lot of time doing your trades, if this is how you do them. That's on you. Doing this process efficiently means you spend about a minute doing that trade. You can roll your next maps in that time. Sort your stash. Price your items. Roll some jewels. Throw another 500 fuse at your chest you already failed to 6L in 2k fuses. You know, all the other things that are also "tiresome" to do, but are part of the game.

An AH wouldn't fix any of these issues. It wouldn't allow you to buy at the lowest price you see right now, because that price isn't real. That's the limited availability price that 30 other people wanna buy, and unless you're at the front of the queue, you're gonna be shit out of luck. Prices would also naturally be higher due to pricefixers and item flipping. It wouldn't save you a lot of time either, as you'd still have to fill out all the necessary filter information (with an UI that is almost guaranteed to be straightup worse than the trade-site one, causing additional time-waste). You would still have to collect your item from somewhere, as it can't just magically appear in your inventory. Server-side the transaction still needs to be completed, which in most other games takes a few seconds. All in all, what exactly does the AH do, other than fix peoples stupidity with the current system? Do I want more expensive items, rampant botting and item flipping, and watching every item be price-fixed into hell just because people are too retarded to trade efficiently? Fuck no. If that makes me elitist, then so be it.

Last edited:

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
One thing that is kind of nice in the trade changes is the direct whisper functionality. Does save time copy and pasting.

Also means you can spam more currency bots till you get an invite.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
Some of them are pretty laggy, others are really fast. I just write down the names of the ones that were good, and next time I do some currency swapping I filter for that sellername.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Some of them are pretty laggy, others are really fast. I just write down the names of the ones that were good, and next time I do some currency swapping I filter for that sellername.

I should probably do something like that. Usually I just spend 5 mins getting frustrated and picking currency sellers at random till I get an invite.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
I should probably do something like that. Usually I just spend 5 mins getting frustrated and picking currency sellers at random till I get an invite.
Well, the advantage of messaging a lot of them is that you might hit one that is broken. Sometimes you get one that is putting the wrong quantity of currency in, i.e. last league I had a bot that was broken and was trading me 80c for my fuses instead of 60. Went back 3 more times before I ran out of fuses.

:keepmymoney:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Here's what you don't seem to understand: An AH wouldn't fix those issues. See that Tabula that gets listed for 12c instead of 13 like every other one? A bot would scrape that information much faster than any human could do, buys it, relists it for 13 for that 1c gain. You still wouldn't be able to buy the item at that low a price, just like you aren't able to now. The difference is that sometimes, rarely, you can get lucky and actually get the cheap version. But it costs you your time. Do you value your time at 1c? I don't. So knowing full well that there's a real risk of me sitting around for 5 minutes whispering people for 12c and even 13c, I instead decide to just filter for >14, get one within 15seconds, and then I map those 5 minutes instead.
At least then I will 100% get the tabula for 13c. And the people who are fine with selling for 1c less will get to make their profit instantly. So it'd still be better than the current system. And of course a proper auction house might let people input "buy orders" for a 12c tabula ahead of time, which if done correctly would mean bots had no real advantage.

When I die to some new enemy I've never seen before in ADOM or DCSS I tab out and check their mods and abilities to figure out a way to not die next time as well. Doesn't feel cumbersome to me. When I use a talent or build calculator in any game to better plan out my characters, that doesn't feel cumbersome either. Maybe this is just an opinion thing, idk, but to me those are as much part of the game as the game itself.
See, I would agree with you because interacting with a wiki is fun (I like learning), and planning your build in PoE is like 40% of the enjoyment. Interacting with a trade site isn't. And I think a lot of people would (rightfully) make the argument that we are both weird and the game shouldn't need that stuff, you should be able to see the enemy stats in game (or the wiki is technically cheating).

1) Unless we're talking about very specific jewels, the filling in of the information takes 15-20 seconds, at most. This process would still exist with an AH, by the way. You would still have to open the AH interface and apply all the appropriate filters, before you can actually browse all the available options.
It was a while since I played trade league, but I remember needing to fill out quite a few mods (some TOTAL, some implicit, some explicit, etc etc, lightning damage is equal value as spell damage yada yada) and then often fiddling with the relative weights to find well priced items. It's true you'd need to fill it out even in an AH. Ideally there would be some character wide filters you could store and apply at will, but you could put that in item trade site as well.

Your defition of "best" isn't accurate. It's cheapest.
I remember that the best item was usually 3-4x as expensive as an item with 90%+ of the stats. Forgive me if I am too poor to pay 20c for an extra 10 life on my kaoms boots. And perhaps also forgive me for playing HC where there is not literally always 500+ copies of every item for sale?
4) "Fish your currency out of the stash". Are you retarded? Do you actually zone into someone elses hideout and then look for the stash in that hideout and take out the currency before trading?
No, I fish it out before I go into their HO. It still needs to be fished out, and stacks need to be split.
5) Use a macro? Or just don't say anything. It's not like you're gonna say "glhf" to the Auction House you all seem to want so much.
Ah yes, the glorious human interaction of having two macros interact with stock phrases. The point is that whatever human interaction exists in current trade is worthless.

An AH wouldn't fix any of these issues
You already admitted that it would solve 3), and from the way you write in 4) you've certainly been annoyed by that as well in the past, and an AH could easily just instagrab currency from your stash. As for the rest, I think even if it wouldn't solve everything, it would be a step in the right direction.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
I remember that the best item was usually 3-4x as expensive as an item with 90%+ of the stats. Forgive me if I am too poor to pay 20c for an extra 10 life on my kaoms boots. And perhaps also forgive me for playing HC where there is not literally always 500+ copies of every item for sale?
Even just high-rolled items are almost always an instant-trade, at least from my past recollections and experiences. I typically don't pay a 300% premium for a few more percent either until later into the league, but the only trades that aren't completed almost instantly or where multiple whispers are required are the 1c ones (so just pay 2c and get it done instantly). As for HC, it's definitely a much tighter economy, but it also doesn't have a lot of the issues that SC Trade has. I.e. theres basically no bots, very little to no pricefixing and no scammers. The only issue with HC is that availability of items is super scarce, so you're trypically stuck with crafting your own highend upgrades as something like a double elevated 6mod rare oftentimes simply doesn't exist. But as items are more valuable in HC by default, and they don't have a fucked up currency market that is dominated by flipping, there is little issues getting trades for small denominations either.

No, I fish it out before I go into their HO. It still needs to be fished out, and stacks need to be split.
There's still plenty to do while waiting for responses so the "time wasted" isn't actually wasted. That was my original point, and I think it's something a lot of people (not you, necessarily) are doing wrong. Of course it feels bad to whisper people and sit in your own hideout for 5 minutes trying to find a buyer for something while twiddling your thumbs. This time could be spent on things you would do anyway, so people should try to be more efficient and kill two birds with one stone, and lots of the frustration would just disappear.
Ah yes, the glorious human interaction of having two macros interact with stock phrases. The point is that whatever human interaction exists in current trade is worthless.
Agreed, which is why I typically don't even write anything anymore unless its a major trade for like 10ex+. Those are the only ones where any haggling occurs anyway.
You already admitted that it would solve 3)
It would replace that issue with another one. What's the difference between having a "mail" system where your AH-bought item appears after the server processed the transaction, which is likely gonna take a decent amount of time as well with how large and massive the PoE marketplace is. The only annoyance I had with it is that sometimes hideouts dont load so you have to quit the game and find the buyer/seller again. That's an issue that is loosely related to trade, but not caused by the trade-system. It's just the hideout system being kinda trash.
you've certainly been annoyed by that as well in the past
Yes, but as with most annoyances in my life, I've decided that actually doing something about it is more fruitful than complaining about it. So when I encountered issues for certain problems the current trade-system had, and I realized that there would be no major changes to the system in the future of the game, I adjusted the way I did trades to remove these frustrations from my gameplay experience.

I'm not saying the trade-system is perfect. Far from it. But I'm certain that introducing an AH would cause more issues than it would solve, and in a game like PoE where the economy and value of items is a core-aspect of the game, I'd rather not introduce rampant botting, pricefixing and monopolized markets to the list.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom