Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
I finally cleared my first Sanctum. It was pretty close, but I got extremely lucky and rolled a random minor Boon that gave me "lose no resolve in the next room" right before the last boss. Obviously it feels very satisfying after such a painful start. It happened soon enough to swing my mood on the mechanic into the positive for now. I did this on a T5 map and I'll step it up to T10s for now and see how it goes there. The ultimate test is going to be T16s Sanctums.

Seeing somebody good also struggle in the Infernum room made me feel much better about myself.

Some tips on the Sanctum that helped me and others:

- do the Act 2 and Act 7 quests to unlock the very powerful mechanics of Relics and Pacts. Quite a few people seem to miss these.
- fish aggressively. Run the first room of a fresh Sanctum and see what your choices for the 2nd and 3rd column are. If you see no path with at least 1 upside and 0 downsides - reroll the Sanctum. I didn't do this in the beginning, because I have almost no experience with Roguelikes and it contributed to my tilt substantially since you will often get a layout in the beginning where all the options in a 2nd or 3rd column have Afflictions.
- farm normie Relics in lower level Sanctums until you can fill your Altar up. I was only able to clear a Sanctum after I had 3 Relics active.
- focus the Merchant in the beginning in order to acquire good Relics. My first couple of encounters with the Merchant didn't show any Relics for sale so I just assumed she doesn't sell them, but she does. I wasn't dropping any Relics from the first two bosses for a while and that stalled my progress substantially. IMO GGG should have put a forced Merchant encounter somewhere early and forced a Relic in her shop to show that that is where you can get them.
- consider dropping some defences for more offence in order to dispatch with Guards and Bosses quicker, which in turn makes your encounters safer. I deactivated my Grace Aura in favour of Malevolence for example. There are no hordes of monsters in the Sanctum, so high Evasion is less important. You're already trying to mitigate all damage by actively avoiding getting hit, so the passive defences can take a backseat.
- going through the middle gives you more choices for rooms on average and increases your chances.
- try to sweat it out on the first floor by going after every last coin so you can get absolutely jacked on your first Merchant. This will let you snowball into the later floors.
- Pacts and Inspiration are huge. I would prioritize Pact rooms above all others.

In other news -> I opened 41 Stacked Decks:

Squire.png
HH.png

I am required by law to farm yellow Harvest until both of these are gone.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm kinda liking the changes so far (havent played for last 3 leagues) and even liking the Sanctum but it has some bullshit mechanics.
Only defence is good offence, enemies attacks are well telegraphed and not a problem by themselves but later floors 2-3 bosses at the same time become very problematic. So deleting them from existance ASAP is he only safest way.
Some enemy attacks have bullshit hit detections, especially first floors boss. Dunno how to dodge some of his attack propterly, he really hits everywhere in that small room.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Not really got too into sanctum yet, but the league doesn't feel too bad from a rippy perspective. Still some nasty mods from AN around but could be a lot worse.

Delphik

I'm kinda liking the changes so far (havent played for last 3 leagues) and even liking the Sanctum but it has some bullshit mechanics.
Only defence is good offence, enemies attacks are well telegraphed and not a problem by themselves but later floors 2-3 bosses at the same time become very problematic. So deleting them from existance ASAP is he only safest way.
Some enemy attacks have bullshit hit detections, especially first floors boss. Dunno how to dodge some of his attack propterly, he really hits everywhere in that small room.
I decided to bite the bullet and try this league starting from day 2, the league mechanic is really good but I have to say I'm not a big fan of resolve, make me lose the run by dying and increase enemy damage a shit ton to incentivize dodging but don't add a second health bar since we already have one and I don't really fucking care to manage another.
I killed the final boss of the mechanic and it's pretty rewarding even in white maps, can't imagine how good it is in red maps but here's hoping they remove resolve if they ever add Sanctum to the base game.

Delphik

Not really got too into sanctum yet, but the league doesn't feel too bad from a rippy perspective. Still some nasty mods from AN around but could be a lot worse.
It's not rippy at all from what I tried so far with 3k HP and extremely shitty defenses, but resolve will fuck you over if you're bad at dodging and understanding enemy attacks, the final boss
has 1 extremely rippy attack where she says "Gaze into beidat something something" so you have to run circles around her but that's about it.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Well seeing as the main balance changes this time around was removing archenemy, it should be way less rippy. That and they made a league mechanic incapable of damaging your HP

Also: kill your rares people. They're loot machines after the change, and the ones that give gem XP are downright insane. You can get level 20 gems in early yellow maps.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Also rares are dropping same loot in huge quantity some times. Yesterday I got a lot 4 linked stuff from one and this morning got a lot of mirrored stuff, which I traded for 6 chance orbs. Not bad for a random rare and it'll probably get better with map and currency drops.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
dunno what are you guys talking about. Whole dominus fight with a bunch of unique enemies gave me 1 white item

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
dunno what are you guys talking about. Whole dominus fight with a bunch of unique enemies gave me 1 white item

Well seeing as the main balance changes this time around was removing archenemy, it should be way less rippy. That and they made a league mechanic incapable of damaging your HP

Also: kill your rares people. They're loot machines after the change, and the ones that give gem XP are downright insane. You can get level 20 gems in early yellow maps.

Also rares are dropping same loot in huge quantity some times. Yesterday I got a lot 4 linked stuff from one and this morning got a lot of mirrored stuff, which I traded for 6 chance orbs. Not bad for a random rare and it'll probably get better with map and currency drops.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, nothing wrong with loot/drops this league. Most uniques are back to relatively normal pricing as well.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
People were complaining about trails not spawning. Somehow got 2 and beat the UberLab with good layout.
Now the masters spawns are weird - took some Jun nodes, blocked others and still no Betrayals. edit - but the Jun missions gained from the maps completions are working.
Weird RNG strikes again... I guess these 3-4divs Devouring Diadems came from Foothill spam?

Last edited:

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
after pushing 3 characters past labyrinth i finally pushed one to a6. Still no support gems that I could use.

Some hindsight:
- im over valuing defense nodes
- evasion >> es
- some fights take forever, character not requiring flask usage to keep up is a must. Or get those nodes which regenerate your flask charges over time. Hence alira reward being so good.
- only subset of skills is viable. So far explosive trap is all star. Even my witches were using it
- bane with 3 linked curses is a juicy target for witch. Except it sucks still and ice dot skills are better. Also its unclear which 3rd curse to pick up - despair is underperforming due to quickly learning to rely on cold. Defensive curses are not really needed.
- chromatic orbs arent that hard to get by. Problem was my bad luck with coloring. 20 orbs were not enough to get bbbb or bbbg on es helmet. Meanwhile I had single alteration orb and like 5 transmutation.
- not giving movement gems is really annoying after game became centered around them.
- not sure Id get that far without recent change: health mastery with -50% regen on nearby enemies

going now with seismic trapper, Ill be finally picking poison nodes to boost my dmg.
Witch bored me after every fight being hitting all skills in endless loop until rare enemy is finally dead: bane>vortex>creeping>snap>ice bomb. Playing character that can just spam single skill(even if its not optimal) is huge help for your sanity.

ArchAngel

Arcane
after pushing 3 characters past labyrinth i finally pushed one to a6. Still no support gems that I could use.

Some hindsight:
- im over valuing defense nodes
- evasion >> es
- some fights take forever, character not requiring flask usage to keep up is a must. Or get those nodes which regenerate your flask charges over time. Hence alira reward being so good.
- only subset of skills is viable. So far explosive trap is all star. Even my witches were using it
- bane with 3 linked curses is a juicy target for witch. Except it sucks still and ice dot skills are better. Also its unclear which 3rd curse to pick up - despair is underperforming due to quickly learning to rely on cold. Defensive curses are not really needed.
- chromatic orbs arent that hard to get by. Problem was my bad luck with coloring. 20 orbs were not enough to get bbbb or bbbg on es helmet. Meanwhile I had single alteration orb and like 5 transmutation.
- not giving movement gems is really annoying after game became centered around them.
- not sure Id get that far without recent change: health mastery with -50% regen on nearby enemies

going now with seismic trapper, Ill be finally picking poison nodes to boost my dmg.
Witch bored me after every fight being hitting all skills in endless loop until rare enemy is finally dead: bane>vortex>creeping>snap>ice bomb. Playing character that can just spam single skill(even if its not optimal) is huge help for your sanity.
Why do you hate yourself?

Baron Dupek

Arcane
It finally happened - I'm no longer looking like hobo/S&M club member/Blue Oyster Club regular.
70400F8039D175A3EB18FDA7AD2A9B6329BFD04A

it most likely gets old after awhile but I don't care.
Have plenty of other accesories but no body
Still prefer Grim Dawn armors tbh

tritosine2k

Erudite
Not knew Gwennen was nerfed this bad in 3.19 (skipped), explains Kingmaker axe price, and it's tedium now.

Anyway, went to reds quite a few days ago in 38% quant magic find gear, not a single divine drop. Had to get by with minion cluster craft lmao. Then Gwennen dropped a white corrupted logbook and uh, it had 2div in single chest, and Olroth dropped his flask too, was suprisingly easy fight when white but by now I can fuck with Kosis at 60% too.

Also no gear reroll in harvest was new, cwdt and several builds must be quite unaffordable now.

Last edited:

Ba'al

Scholar
As is usual, after about a week I got bored and stopped playing, got to level 92 this time. I played flicker strike slayer, modifying a boneshatter build from maxroll. It was my first time using flicker strike and I think everyone ought to play it at least once. I only had armour and life leech with less than 4k health, so not my tankiest build, but it felt exciting to rely on dealing damage to survive. Damage (especially clear) was quite good, the vaal version of the skill is very helpful for boss fights (specifically for frenzy charge generation).

Rares feel better but there are still many cancerous combinations of mods. Having a shitton of scarab drops is nice. Had 4 divine drops but no exalts. Playing SSF I have no idea what to use the divines for though. I only played the league mechanic for 1 floor, just to get 10 challenges. It's not as cool as I imagined, I find delving more exciting.

I'm gonna try the Funless mode this week, I remember being very excited when hardmode was first announced (being developed). Unlike many, I actually like act 1 as every drop matters. For example, getting any ring while having none feels nice, getting sapphire rings before the Merveil fight is even nicer (and cheapend by the fact you can just craft resistances on any gear). If they managed to extend this feeling with item scarcity then I might just enjoy it, though I am unsure about the skill gem availability.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
As is usual, after about a week I got bored and stopped playing, got to level 92 this time

Same here, I'm close to giving up at 89. Took the easy route and playing as EA balista champion and really having easy time levelling/mapping/bossing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom