Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

Ba'al

Scholar
trade chat, TFT
lol

I was mistaken about the site being third party, my main complaint is that it is something you have to do outside the game ("try playing the game" lol). The 'send trade' I did not know about and item highlight I think is a recent addition that I haven't perceived because I switched to SSF since. Both good additions. Mouse over requirement doesn't prevent scams. It would be incredibly easy to improve the trade screen and I'm not going to write an essay how, but off the top of my head - how about a currency counter that shows something like 15 chaos, 4 alchemy to the side? An intern could write this shit in a day ffs. What you've done is just go over my complaints and said that it doesn't bother you. But can't you admit that the system is needlessly awkward? There are plenty of examples in the industry and pretty much all of them are more intuitive to use. I didn't even mention the perspective of the seller and how selling an item necessitates stopping whatever you're currently doing but I'm sure you don't find anything wrong with that either.

I just find it absurd how Fat Baldson frequently mentions that he likes the idea of one player finding an item and another player saying "I need that, give it to me" and yet the trading system feels like an afterthought.

Alex

Arcane
I don't even know how you're supposed to trade without a premium stash tab.
By buying stuff from other people. If you really need to sell something worthwhile, use trade chat, TFT and other means if somehow by finishing your first league or a few of them you still haven't dropped like five bucks.
To find an item you're looking for you have to go to a third party site
It's an official first party website on the pathofexile.com domain with an API that works directly with the game, you don't know what you're talking about.
copy and paste the 'buy text' into the game's chat
No, you just literally click the button that says SEND TRADE next to the item you want, and that's it.
the seller must manually find the item the buyer is looking for
It's directly highlighted in your stash for convenience and even tells you exactly where it is, you don't need to "find" anything.
even though the item and price were determined beforehand, scamming can still happen. So apparently you can set a price for an item in the stash and a third party site can track it, but your own fucking client cannot?
You have to mouse over and examine each item that you're sending and receiving just to prevent scams. If you traded even once in the game, you'd know this. Also the ones where the correct item isn't locked in automatically is because the offer says ASKING price, which means you can work something out in the process if you want.
For the same instance you just press one button to teleport to the guy's hideout and that's it. It's more hands-on with directly interacting with players instead of it being an auction listing, and I personally don't see a problem with that. If the dev wants people to directly trade with each other instead of having a one-click FFXIV auction that's their decision. The website's already there to make your life easier with this instead of shouting on trade chat all day. I never had a problem or an inconvenience with buying or selling regardless of builds and farming strats, even if you're selling like 500 maps in bulk just make an offer on TFT which takes a minute and someone will hit you up. All in all, try playing the game. Going all in to play SSF, which is a very specific experience, just because you can't bother to find a minute to buy an item that you want sounds like a miserable experience, and I doubt you got very far. People usually play SSF because they like the in-depth crafting system and having the experience of making it completely from drops, it's a league of its own with unique gameplay, but if it's just from trading system butthurt, that's called clownmode. Basically the "look ma, no hands!" moment.
The reason why I don't mind it being direct interaction with players is because I've met many people during trade that I just made friends with, who helped me out, and we played the game together and did bosses and map runs together and are in contact during leagues. It's very useful for example for crafting shit that you don't have for your items by giving it to the dudes in the guild who have it. So yes, the whole direct-interaction thing does in fact work for getting involved in the game community.

I don't disagree with anything you've said. But I think a more automated system for smaller stuff would help the game.

430am

Educated
No argument, gotcha.
First off, you don't have to do it outside of the game. The "try playing the game" remark is there because you are obviously very unfamiliar with the trading system and its uses due to lack of experience with the game. Yes, mouse over does prevent scams because you examine everything you get, and if you press accept after that and you get scammed, then it's on you for being retarded. Your complaint about lack of counter is even more baffling. Each orb has max stack count. If your asking price for an item is 120c and a dude drops you 6 stacks of 20c and you NEED a counter for that to make sure you don't get scammed, then how did you even pass grade school? Also, if dropping a portal for 30 seconds to make a trade is a massive inconvenience for you -- and once again, if you'd play, you wouldn't sell shit below a certain price because it isn't worth your time -- compared to playing the entire game in SSF on purpose(good luck getting all voidstones in your league), then I don't even know what to say. If I get an offer for 1-2div then on the contrary I'm happy to drop portal or "dude 5mins", not inconvenienced by it.
he likes the idea of one player finding an item and another player saying "I need that, give it to me" and yet the trading system feels like an afterthought.
Know what flew over your head there while reading that? The implication of human-human interaction, not clicking on an auction button with instant purchase. Works like intended.
I don't disagree with anything you've said. But I think a more automated system for smaller stuff would help the game.
Yeah, I respect and empathize with some people that have that opinion, but I like the current one. I enjoy dropping in and checking people's hideouts and build setups, haggling and sometimes making friends just chatting about stuff.

430am

Educated
The occasional goatse hideout is a treat. Also, asking prices are fine, people are different, it's bartering, not weighing gold at the fucking monetary fund. I had cases of offering items for like 10c and people dropping 2 div and pressing accept. I had many cases of people over-paying me, and sometimes not having a bit of c to make the full price, but me being glad to get it off my hands ASAP. The human part's fine. What's the worst that could happen, you get underpaid 10c? You get way more than that in a single map run. Just play the game.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
I had cases of offering items for like 10c and people dropping 2 div and pressing accept.
It was actually worth 10-20 divs then and they felt pity on you. Unless it was just some league ending shenanigans for them, people like to share their loads in different ways I suppose.

430am

Educated
It was actually worth 10-20 divs then and they felt pity on you.
Nah, I price-check the stuff I actually put on sale extensively. My REAL gripe against the trading system doesn't even concern GGG, it's awakened-poe-trade not supporting Wayland on Linux so I have to fucking alt-tab to check the price from my browser window instead of it being a pop up in the game, but that one's on me.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
I have to fucking alt-tab to check the price from my browser window instead of it being a pop up in the game, but that one's on me.

Yeah that doesn't sound very ideal at all. I'd probably get a second monitor just for that in that position.

tritosine2k

Erudite
The fuck's the point of that? The entire profit off Delirium runs is to get orbs and then reroll them to diviner/fine and trade.
dunno, maybe farming clusters?
Nobody buys clusters, at all. Orbs are where it's at.
I made 15 div on clusters before getting bored (so it was early), Tujen gave reservation cluster twice, rest were low effort flips will do it again
I have to fucking alt-tab to check the price from my browser window instead of it being a pop up in the game, but that one's on me.

Yeah that doesn't sound very ideal at all. I'd probably get a second monitor just for that in that position.
still an overhead which a phone app isn't.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
The occasional goatse hideout is a treat. Also, asking prices are fine, people are different, it's bartering, not weighing gold at the fucking monetary fund. I had cases of offering items for like 10c and people dropping 2 div and pressing accept. I had many cases of people over-paying me, and sometimes not having a bit of c to make the full price, but me being glad to get it off my hands ASAP. The human part's fine. What's the worst that could happen, you get underpaid 10c? You get way more than that in a single map run. Just play the game.
I was waiting for this. You do but it is in all kinds of currency that you then need to trade for useful currency using same trade system. Even with bots ruling currency trading it is still irritaiting.
And then when you actually want to do some crafting and then want to buy crafting components in bigger numbers.. good luck LOL
Their whole system is designed to be irritating and after 5+ years of playing trade PoE I lost willpower to continue. This is why I am now playing SSF and playing less then ever (because it is not designed for SSF either).

ArchAngel

Arcane
Nah, I price-check the stuff I actually put on sale extensively. My REAL gripe against the trading system doesn't even concern GGG, it's awakened-poe-trade not supporting Wayland on Linux so I have to fucking alt-tab to check the price from my browser window instead of it being a pop up in the game, but that one's on me.
Here we go #2. Do you know how much time you lose by engaging in whole trading system? Before I switched to SSF I spent as much time wasting time checking values of different items, putting them on sale and interacting with people wanting to buy shit and then trying to use same shitty system trying to buy stuff I need.

Now I just play SSF, get to lvl 90+, gather as much crafting power as I can by that level, use it all to craft something good that I need to get to lvl 95+ and then quit if I failed, try another character or wait for next league. But I had fun the whole time and I PLAYED the game 100% of the time, I didn't play the TRADE!

tritosine2k

Erudite
Here we go #2. Do you know how much time you lose by engaging in whole trading system?
It's really not much because lootfilter drops something you already know it's something special. But it's sorta fun its not obvious at first why certain uniques would be special. Then you realise maybe its because corrupt/double corrupt. In SSF this scenario doesn't even make sense and also cards don't make sense unless you farm regret or tabula or 6link bow. I already get bored I need such scenario 2 try before resorting to flip.

Main attraction of game is build diversity SSF just compounds the chore of leveling.

I like trade as it is, you can easily mess up even if you make money because some builds are oversold and way worse IRL.

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
tf is schizm?
AU7Pm0szUjQXa2xPb6T7vEFHiI5p7iZFJmpOkUQFlU4.jpg

good for weaker builds that are not Legion-effective

430am

Educated
And then when you actually want to do some crafting and then want to buy crafting components in bigger numbers.. good luck LOL
Achieved with a single press of a button? There's a bulk sale option in your stash (and on the website) in case you never bothered to look before crying. Somehow I have zero problems with buying tens of stacks of currency to reroll orbs or selling essences 50 at a time that make mad bank. I think you'd be surprised to hear that I've been selling "crafting components" for divs as my primary income along with logbooks this league, and I got all voidstones along with the perfect solved build and stopped playing because I pretty much completed the game with a chest full of divs that won't even buy me anything I need at that point. Like less than halfway into the league. I didn't need any luck.
You do but it is in all kinds of currency that you then need to trade for useful currency using same trade system.
There exists a little something called a loot filter, it lets you filter all the shit you don't need or shouldn't bother with. So you can spec your atlas into something you want to farm and pick up just that and sell it. I know, it's that easy.
Before I switched to SSF I spent as much time wasting time checking values of different items, putting them on sale
Sounds like a you problem. If you played the game for five years as you claim (I find it hard to believe considering what you're saying) you can tell whether an item is worth selling just having a glance at the modifiers and the item type. If you're hauling twenty items a run to meticulously price check and sell for 15c a pop, I have bad news for you: you're doing it wrong. Watch a guide on youtube, people make pretty good ones about what you should be aiming to farm and profit from. Also, trade is an essential part of the game, it's not "time wasted". That's why SSF is it's own separate league. You sell to get profit, you buy what you need. The entire end-game is built around farming and selling. It's not going to be completely streamlined for you with a press of a single button, it's a barter market that you need to engage in and know what you're doing. In other MMO games with automated markets in order to make a profit it is still required for you to know what you're selling and why, to know it's market value and do research and comparison. Don't want that -- play SSF, but there's no reason to whine because of user error. There's tons of information out there for years to help you out, even with complete spoonfed formulas of how to spec your loot, what to get, what to do and how to sell. If you're spending hours price checking each item worrying about whether you can get profit in the margin of 5-10c no wonder you feel miserable. And if you were selling items that actually go for something, then that margin wouldn't be an issue in the first place, and by extension, the problem that you described wouldn't exist.
Also, pretty much all end-game strats I know are focused on bulk selling currency or mechanic based stuff. You don't "farm" weapons or gear for sale. It's an outlier where something super good drops so you just pick it up to throw it in a sale tab because why not, it's income. Or, people hand crafting gear specific to a popular build and pushing it on the market for like 4-15div. The only people who sell the low-c items they pick up off the floor and price check for some reason are new to the game and abandon that behavior very soon. It's not an optimal way to play the game at all, but the game gives you that freedom to keep bashing your head against a wall if you want since it's a free market.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Achieved with a single press of a button? There's a bulk sale option in your stash (and on the website) in case you never bothered to look before crying. Somehow I have zero problems with buying tens of stacks of currency to reroll orbs or selling essences 50 at a time that make mad bank. I think you'd be surprised to hear that I've been selling "crafting components" for divs as my primary income along with logbooks this league, and I got all voidstones along with the perfect solved build and stopped playing because I pretty much completed the game with a chest full of divs that won't even buy me anything I need at that point. Like less than halfway into the league. I didn't need any luck.
You do but it is in all kinds of currency that you then need to trade for useful currency using same trade system.
There exists a little something called a loot filter, it lets you filter all the shit you don't need or shouldn't bother with. So you can spec your atlas into something you want to farm and pick up just that and sell it. I know, it's that easy.
Before I switched to SSF I spent as much time wasting time checking values of different items, putting them on sale
Sounds like a you problem. If you played the game for five years as you claim (I find it hard to believe considering what you're saying) you can tell whether an item is worth selling just having a glance at the modifiers and the item type. If you're hauling twenty items a run to meticulously price check and sell for 15c a pop, I have bad news for you: you're doing it wrong. Watch a guide on youtube, people make pretty good ones about what you should be aiming to farm and profit from. Also, trade is an essential part of the game, it's not "time wasted". That's why SSF is it's own separate league. You sell to get profit, you buy what you need. The entire end-game is built around farming and selling. It's not going to be completely streamlined for you with a press of a single button, it's a barter market that you need to engage in and know what you're doing. In other MMO games with automated markets in order to make a profit it is still required for you to know what you're selling and why, to know it's market value and do research and comparison. Don't want that -- play SSF, but there's no reason to whine because of user error. There's tons of information out there for years to help you out, even with complete spoonfed formulas of how to spec your loot, what to get, what to do and how to sell. If you're spending hours price checking each item worrying about whether you can get profit in the margin of 5-10c no wonder you feel miserable. And if you were selling items that actually go for something, then that margin wouldn't be an issue in the first place, and by extension, the problem that you described wouldn't exist.
Also, pretty much all end-game strats I know are focused on bulk selling currency or mechanic based stuff. You don't "farm" weapons or gear for sale. It's an outlier where something super good drops so you just pick it up to throw it in a sale tab because why not, it's income. Or, people hand crafting gear specific to a popular build and pushing it on the market for like 4-15div. The only people who sell the low-c items they pick up off the floor and price check for some reason are new to the game and abandon that behavior very soon.
Dear God man, do you read what you write? Why did you spent so much time learning this trade simulator?
I just want to play aRPG, get loot off ground and have fun. I only engaged in trade as little as possible. I do not care to spend 1 extra minute to "learn" how to play trade simulator better. I do not care about that AT ALL.
This is what I and others are complaining about.

Maybe you get your fun from all this shit, I do not. I want simple trade or good drops so I can spent every minute playing aRPG, not a Trade Simulator. Congrats, you are a master of Trade.. in what is supposed to be an aRPG. LOL

430am

Educated
I just want to play aRPG, get loot off ground and have fun.
Then do just that, nobody's holding a gun to your head forcing you to trade. It's there for you if you don't want to grind for 150 hours for a single piece of gear.
Maybe you get your fun from all this shit, I do not.
So not a problem of the trade system. Thank you for agreeing. There's no problem with playing SSF, I get what you're saying, have fun in your own way. I have fun not only completing the game but solving the build, doing all pinnacle bosses and getting rich before I stop for the league.
Also, it doesn't take a lot to "master" the trade or whatever, it's easy. Funny enough, it takes way more time and suffering to clear all content with SSF than doing it with trade. Because then you WISH you could get the ten stacks of orbs that you need to craft your gear with a single trade offer instead of doing 500 map runs.

Last edited:

Reever

Scholar
Patron
hmm, diving a bit more into it, there are a lot of diverging opinions on this ascendancy. Guess we’ll have to wait and see

9c8sjr5uc3fb1.png
At first I was disappointed that Gladiator didn't get a rework but if this and guardian is the type of balance they have in mind I'll take my 0.4% thank you very much.
The fuck's the point of that? The entire profit off Delirium runs is to get orbs and then reroll them to diviner/fine and trade.
now you get a shitty ground effect all over the map

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
At first I was disappointed that Gladiator didn't get a rework but if this and guardian is the type of balance they have in mind I'll take my 0.4% thank you very much.

Gladiator's just a plain busta, might as well stick with duelist and not pick an ascendancy at all. And eg. Flaskfinder's rework was perfectly fine, in the sense that at least it's coherent and just works™ even if the nodes themselves are pretty damned boring.

Reever

Scholar
Patron

Gladiator's just a plain busta, might as well stick with duelist and not pick an ascendancy at all.
Or just pick Champion since it's in a great spot right now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom