Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

ArchAngel

Arcane
Neither of these are close to melee, or even "melee".
With holy relic you have to stand in the mobs to receive the damage buff and to proc aegis as often as possible. In any case, melee chars probably had it worse (not as bad as deadeye though with zero ehp and miniscule recovery from life on hit)
Do you need to craft your awesome two handed melee weapon that is worth few divinations (without counting 6L) just to be able to clear red maps? And still are too slow to dodge anything while attacking.
I expect only shield based melee builds will work, not sure how much damage they will able to do. Maybe with new retaliation if it is overtuned.

tritosine2k

Erudite
it's pseudo ruthless + "Kirac's soup kitchen" poverty league. I had 11 div in items and cards till T11 last league now 1.5-2 no items no cards. If I don't craft I can't progress.
endurance charge on bosses lol, acts like 100% delirium for elemental builds "fun"

Act 1 is ruthless. MF gone.

"Kirac's soup kitchen" lol

In ancestor I had a funny minion shield that stole charges, and they add that crazy endurance buff without solution.
Prob. the souls fanatics are goners mentally. Lost lvl22 AG to T13 Piety too in a bang lol. Good thing I had just 50c on it instead of 2 div helm that'd be outdegened too.

Sold 6 minion wands for little profit because I can symphatize.

OH and sold 3 6x link melee body armour for 60-120c bc fuck that shit, some guy even lied in pm.

Last edited:

Israfael

Arcane
Do you need to craft your awesome two handed melee weapon that is worth few divinations (without counting 6L) just to be able to clear red maps?
No idea about trade, but it's definitely more achievable than getting Dialla dropped or Covenant dropped in SSF (got them only once in basically three months of almost daily farming). Also, if your build can't clear red maps with bad gear, maybe it needs some tweaking (I screwed up with DD last league and had the same problem, still no idea what I've done wrong, boss dps was like 100k or less, i think)

. Lost lvl22 AG to T13 Piety too in a bang lol.
AG is a cursed thing, a few days before 3.25 started I was trying div card farming with the scarab that got deleted, popped in 'back to basics' and went to the Ziggurat map (new T17). Cleared the map, then I've entered the boss room (and I thought mods were fine, just 'bosses get random shrine buffs), bursted Katarina to the first lich phase, he spawned and immediately deleted AG (which had doppelganger, decent gloves, was res capped etc), golem and all my relics in a second. Simply poof and they are gone, lol.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Do you need to craft your awesome two handed melee weapon that is worth few divinations (without counting 6L) just to be able to clear red maps?
No idea about trade, but it's definitely more achievable than getting Dialla dropped or Covenant dropped in SSF (got them only once in basically three months of almost daily farming). Also, if your build can't clear red maps with bad gear, maybe it needs some tweaking (I screwed up with DD last league and had the same problem, still no idea what I've done wrong, boss dps was like 100k or less, i think)
I have not reached end game yet with my current melee slam guy but I've been reading comments from many that did and they are not happy with two handed slam, even Juggs. They either die too much or do bad damage.

My experience with endgame and melee was Boneshatter Jugg 4 or so leagues back on mostly forced SSF (due to playing on Xbox where trading is hard). This was supposed to be best melee build at the time and it was crap, I got to red maps and could do little without massive upgrades which I had no access to (due to trading prices being crazy on Xbox and cba to farm like crazy boring content to craft this needed weapon and gear myself).

I do not know why it is hard to also put defensive bonuses on passives for melee attacks or damage. Then you get both that melee needs..

Reever

Scholar
Patron
How is the new gladiator and melee?
I'm not yet in red maps but I can tell you that new glad is very tanky as of right now at least. I don't think I have ever had this shitty gear at this point of the game and yet with just res cap, block/spell block cap(which is very easy to get) and a bit of suppression I'm facetanking most things. The only problem are dots but those can be fixed in various ways.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Was trying to stockpile some bismuth ore for upgrades. Didn't realize that if smelters are assigned to a different type of ore, and that type of ore has run out, they will start smelting everything available. This is very annoying.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Was trying to stockpile some bismuth ore for upgrades. Didn't realize that if smelters are assigned to a different type of ore, and that type of ore has run out, they will start smelting everything available. This is very annoying.

Yeah, same here. And after that I haven't seen any bismuth in 10+ maps...
As soon as I find some, I'll remove the overzeolous sons of bitches...

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I'm also finding that the league mechanic is not very rewarding in maps. Takes 2 hours to ship, and the end result is mostly crap rares. I did get a good unique from it (starkonjas), and currency infusion is never wrong, but it doesn't feel great. Maybe I need to spend a lot more money to reroll crew so I can ship for waaaay more value?

ArchAngel

Arcane
I'm also finding that the league mechanic is not very rewarding in maps. Takes 2 hours to ship, and the end result is mostly crap rares. I did get a good unique from it (starkonjas), and currency infusion is never wrong, but it doesn't feel great. Maybe I need to spend a lot more money to reroll crew so I can ship for waaaay more value?
More value means better stuff but like always with rares it is pure RNG. How often do you get really good rares while mapping?

Also all the rares you get from ships just throw it into box for disenchanting and you can get useful dust.

I think shipping and mapping (by workers) is mostly to get extra currency. All the Lucky Showcases on reddit so far have been Mirrors or Mirror shards (or in lesser case multiple divines). I think I've seen one Headhunter showcase as well.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Shipping and auto mapping really pays of but it is still RNG. Got 5 divines from ships (crops reward currency, ores reward items, blue dust multiplies all rewards) and some nice rewards from maps. Also a six link.
One of my mappers died and come back as corpse in loot screen :D

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Also all the rares you get from ships just throw it into box for disenchanting and you can get useful dust.
The dust is useless except as a modifier for shipping, and the dropoff is so steep I'm probably better off stopping disenchanting to bank coins.

Shipping and auto mapping really pays of but it is still RNG.
Sadly I don't have automapping since the game turned all my bismuth into bars, so I can't upgrade my recruitment.

ArchAngel

Arcane
The dust is useless except as a modifier for shipping, and the dropoff is so steep I'm probably better off stopping disenchanting to bank coins.

Shipping and auto mapping really pays of but it is still RNG.
Sadly I don't have automapping since the game turned all my bismuth into bars, so I can't upgrade my recruitment.
Using lots of dust is only way later to get those 1+ million value shipments.
Also it is used in other stuff

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
i have returned to live the dream again. I played dark pact when it was released and it had a number of problems. Number one was that it was hard to scale dmg, minion and player sharing dmg node didnt exist back then.
2nd was how skeletons would die too fast and summoning them was limited

So now Im running with infernal army skeletons with maxed resistances. Its fun! Also minion instability.
Those burning skellys look amazing. Still in white maps, but single cast of skeletons(3 right now) clears white packs so I dont even engage with dark pact.

I saw people running with chain support but in my tests I found it killing skeletons too quickly?

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
i have returned to live the dream again. I played dark pact when it was released and it had a number of problems. Number one was that it was hard to scale dmg, minion and player sharing dmg node didnt exist back then.
2nd was how skeletons would die too fast and summoning them was limited

So now Im running with infernal army skeletons with maxed resistances. Its fun! Also minion instability.
Those burning skellys look amazing. Still in white maps, but single cast of skeletons(3 right now) clears white packs so I dont even engage with dark pact.

I saw people running with chain support but in my tests I found it killing skeletons too quickly?
I tried dark pact once long ago. I remember it did pretty good damage but ultimately it was too easy to get instagibbed by enemy packs since you have to cast skeletons and dark pact before any damage happens.

Are you using unleash for the skeletons? It helps quite a lot with getting lots of them on the field.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Are you using unleash for the skeletons? It helps quite a lot with getting lots of them on the field.
lots have changed apparently. Now at gem lvl21 you summon 4 skeletons at once. I also sport max resistances and block so them staying alive is not an issue, like it was for me in a past

also: 'It is currently intended that Unleash cannot support
16px-Summon_Skeletons_inventory_icon.png
Summon Skeletons'

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
lots have changed apparently. Now at gem lvl21 you summon 4 skeletons at once. I also sport max resistances and block so them staying alive is not an issue, like it was for me in a past

also: 'It is currently intended that Unleash cannot support
16px-Summon_Skeletons_inventory_icon.png
Summon Skeletons'
Them staying alive was never the problem for me, it was that they lag behind so you want to summon new ones anyway for clear speed and safety. 4 per cast is enough skellies to bounce off though.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
thinking about it, this skelly dark pact would work in ruthless... without infernal legion though

ArchAngel

Arcane
This melee slam character is hilariously bad lol
White maps, if you approach a pack of casters, they all cast their shit at your slow character and he insta dies with max resistances and 6 endurance charges up :D
Since he attacks slow they get to attack before you get your slam off to kill them.. this is why I always said in this game your best defense it so kill enemies before they get to attack..
And this has been a problem in this game forever with characters that need to get close to do damage. I remember dying like this with my lighting Templar when he opens a door and on other side are 20 skeleton casters and they all cast their shitty spell all at once..
This also makes me remember why I always enjoyed more playing Evasion/Acrobatics characters, I never died randomly with those..

Ba'al

Scholar
White maps, if you approach a pack of casters, they all cast their shit at your slow character and he insta dies with max resistances and 6 endurance charges up :D
Since he attacks slow they get to attack before you get your slam off to kill them.. this is why I always said in this game your best defense it so kill enemies before they get to attack..
And this has been a problem in this game forever with characters that need to get close to do damage. I remember dying like this with my lighting Templar when he opens a door and on other side are 20 skeleton casters and they all cast their shitty spell all at once..
This also makes me remember why I always enjoyed more playing Evasion/Acrobatics characters, I never died randomly with those..
I'm playing Sunder Slayer. It's not just casters, but also giga hasted fuckers that can sprint (some even teleport) to you and blast you before your slam animation is even half done. My build is especially weak to this because I heavily rely on (over)leech for survivability. This means I have to try and hit mobs off screen, predicting where the next pack will be, or risk death.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
do you guys fully charge highest tier ore? Did it in t3 once, barely won.

So I did it again. Some unique black spider spawned that was jumping around. Single jump was dealing 5-6k dmg. He is jumping at 4x faster rate than movement skill can keep up. WTF is this shit

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron

So I did it again. Some unique black spider spawned that was jumping around. Single jump was dealing 5-6k dmg. He is jumping at 4x faster rate than movement skill can keep up. WTF is this shit

I did once before my gear was shit and 2 unique vendigo type creatures fucked me up with lightning. Yesterday, after a bit of upgrade I managed to kill most uniqus from that ore. But haven't seen that same creature again.

But yeah, they are overcharged as shit.

ArchAngel

Arcane

I did once, then I died 4 times before I could kill them all. After that I just do half charge and it can still be tough with this character that still has a 4l and gear found during leveling.

Israfael

Arcane
do you guys fully charge highest tier ore?
I've done it in some white maps when I've started mapping, it's just like with affliction league mechanic - its negative effect increases exponentially and you don't really know how much (until you get insta-gibbed etc), especially if it is combined with other map mods / mechanics like possession etc. Currently I just get by holding it up to 200 ish ore (a third of the bar roughly), it's safe and you can get much more ore if you meet one of the league bosses (black knight i think?), whose arena has like 4 or 5 max-effect ore nodes without mobs.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I'm playing Sunder Slayer. It's not just casters, but also giga hasted fuckers that can sprint (some even teleport) to you and blast you before your slam animation is even half done. My build is especially weak to this because I heavily rely on (over)leech for survivability. This means I have to try and hit mobs off screen, predicting where the next pack will be, or risk death.
For me casters are only problem because I got 65% block (using Staff) vs non-spells and 7 endurance charges up so I can tank those. I thought with buffs to endurance charges it would keep me alive vs elemental but it seems it does not. I will need to get spell block somehow as well.
Another way to do this is to use Leap Slam to jump on top of these groups because it stuns vs full health enemies but for me that is hard due to using a controller as I do not have fine control of location leap slam ends.
Also often game screen is full of shit and chaos is happening and reacting in time (you usually got like 0.5s to react) is not easy.
And it is only going to get harder in harder maps.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom