Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

God dammit, trying to find arctic armour, frostbite and cold snap is nigh-impossible. Worst luck EU.

Building a single-element mage is quite difficult but I like the game... I like it a lot. Talk about eating my own words from two years ago.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
One thing i don't understand. Is it better to identify blue item when selling? I'm picking everything as i go so i'm not short of scrolls of wisdom, but later on i may get bored of doing.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
God dammit, trying to find arctic armour, frostbite and cold snap is nigh-impossible. Worst luck EU.

Building a single-element mage is quite difficult but I like the game... I like it a lot. Talk about eating my own words from two years ago.

All that gems are rewards for the Witch from act 1 and 2 normal.

One thing i don't understand. Is it better to identify blue item when selling? I'm picking everything as i go so i'm not short of scrolls of wisdom, but later on i may get bored of doing.

I rarely even pick blue items.Here is where you need to check for different vendor recipes : http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Vendor_recipes

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Finally found how to change guild stash access. Everyone can add/take items now. Too bad there isn't a loot log :<

Add Hoaxmetal for guild invite.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Does they make any change in performance? Because playing when your GPU trying fly to the moon (aka noise under my palms) is not cool....
Yeah, notebook is not gaming device, especially mine...

Aothan

Magister
I'm not too sure if there have been many optimisations for computer performance, although I have managed to run the game on a relatively dated computer, but couldn't say that was the best way to play a game which introduces hoardes (sp I guess) of creatures. Simplest advice I can give is turn off shadows and other advanced graphic options (V-sync, Anti-Aliasing - not sure which ones PoE has), play in windowed mode, lighting etc Even with a newer computer I typically turn most of these options off or reduce them for any game since I rather performance consistency over graphic options.

Lyric Suite, one reason why you might want to consider identifying blue items is that when identified they can be sold for fragments..maybe shards of alteration which can accumulate into Orbs of Alteration. These are not the most valuable orbs in the game but they serve as a basic unit for either purchasing more expensive orbs from the vendor or when in sufficient number a source of trade with other players. Not many players will express a specific interest in Orbs of Alteration but some will every so often. Moreover you could say they are worth more than their exchange values from the vendors since they are a raw material with multiple options but typically most will trade and insist on an equivalent value. However, sometimes, when players are actively trying to craft items from the ground up their value will be a little higher than the common trade ratios. Anyway, long story short is that you can identify blue items and sell them as an additional source of acquiring Orbs of Alteration that in sufficient number can either be exchanged with merchants for orbs of greater value or on occasion traded in sufficient quantities with other players.

Dibens said:
that demon form's degeneration or bleed or whateverthefuck melted through my lvl 77 tank marauder's 4,8hp like cheese.

same just happened to my character, turns out that is a bleed effect just not one as it is usually experienced. I think what happens to a lot of players when they first experience it is they see the global effect (i.e. the rain) and immediately notice their health levels, the problem of course is that the natural reaction is the wrong response but then so is the specific response to bleeding. I'm going to try Nemesis again and bring a flask that cures bleeding next, though I'm not certain if that will work in those conditions. Given just how much damage that ability does I'm wary of what to expect from the same situation in later difficulties.

Last edited:

Gerrard

Arcane
Dibens said:
that demon form's degeneration or bleed or whateverthefuck melted through my lvl 77 tank marauder's 4,8hp like cheese.

same just happened to my character, turns out that is a bleed effect just not one as it is usually experienced. I think what happens to a lot of players when they first experience it is they see the global effect (i.e. the rain) and immediately notice their health levels, the problem of course is that the natural reaction is the wrong response but then so is the specific response to bleeding. I'm going to try Nemesis again and bring a flask that cures bleeding next, though I'm not certain if that will work in those conditions. Given just how much damage that ability does I'm wary of what to expect from the same situation in later difficulties.
You have to stand inside the bubble.

Aothan

Magister
yes I found out as much but would prefer to use a flask so as to not chance having to stand near Dominus. If a flask can suffice for curing and protecting from bleeding for a period of time that better suits my character's mobility. If not, then I'll have to enter the bubble and if Dominus is nearby use my flasks in judicious order.

I'm contemplating trying a slightly different character, maybe a duel wielder, which is not my first inclination but the points into dual-wield and dual-wield block could be easily converted into similar sword and shield points when the right combination of items and skills are available.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Lyric Suite, one reason why you might want to consider identifying blue items is that when identified they can be sold for fragments..maybe shards of alteration which can accumulate into Orbs of Alteration. These are not the most valuable orbs in the game but they serve as a basic unit for either purchasing more expensive orbs from the vendor or when in sufficient number a source of trade with other players. Not many players will express a specific interest in Orbs of Alteration but some will every so often. Moreover you could say they are worth more than their exchange values from the vendors since they are a raw material with multiple options but typically most will trade and insist on an equivalent value. However, sometimes, when players are actively trying to craft items from the ground up their value will be a little higher than the common trade ratios. Anyway, long story short is that you can identify blue items and sell them as an additional source of acquiring Orbs of Alteration that in sufficient number can either be exchanged with merchants for orbs of greater value or on occasion traded in sufficient quantities with other players.

My problem is that it just doesn't seem worth it, at least at low level, mainly because scrolls of town portal are so relatively expensive. I like the concept in principle, that even things that you collect early on may potentially have a value through out the whole game, but its just too much of a pain in the ass to collect stuff early on. You need to pick up white trash to make scrolls of wisdom, and you need scrolls of wisdom to identify blue items in order to make Orbs of Alteration. But you can't use scrolls of town portal because a single one costs as much as three or four runs with a full inventory of whites. Unless those scrolls start popping up by the droves later on, i don't see any reason to pick up anything (unless its a rare or something you want to wear) until higher levels, which makes this system just as redundant as one based on gold.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Don't bother with blue items, simple as that.
Pick up superior stuff (selling armor/weapon with total +quality of 40% gives you armorer's/weaponsmith's scrap), yellow items, items with 3 different and linked colours (selling gives you prismatic thingy), superior skills, all item upgrade items.

Aothan

Magister
I wouldn't focus on collecting blue items to trade with merchants every time the inventory is full, that is time consuming as much as costly for the limited supply of town portal scrolls available in the early (and sometimes later) part of the game. However, what I do try to make sure of is that I have items available for the merchants whenever I return to town, which can include normal items in addition to magic items. To offer one perspective, at the conclusion of my last character's adventures they now have just over twenty Orbs of Alteration, which makes for approximately two and a half Orbs of Fusing. Well to be clear my Nemesis inventory now has that number of orbs, my character is now in a different league. Accruing the shards necessary for a seemingly small number of orbs does seem like a fair amount of effort but as a natural process of ensuring items are on hand when returning to a town the effort is largely a result of preparing for a town visit every level or so. Although those orbs are relatively cheap they could be used to purchase one more useful ring or contribute to the overall value of trade for a unique or more powerful rare item. All of which is actually quite important for early game itemisation, at the end of Normal difficulty my character's main armour was blue as with one of the rings I was alternating with. The transition to Cruel warrants a focus on improving itemisation so this approach provides one basic method to gradually yet reliably improve characters as well as being prepared for trade possibilities.

all in all it is a good economy in those respects since there are plenty of functional inroads for players, even if they are just beginning and others have been active for months or weeks. However to really comment on how well the economy operates reference to certain builds and playstyles would be required since it is these which determine the economy, that is something of a tangent (pertain further to game balance and design for that matter) but also the motivating reasons for all players new and experienced alike to partake of the league events.

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
Is a build like this a terrible idea?

Pretty much, yes. Way, too offensive. I also hate the idea of pigeonholing your characters into specific weapon type while leveling up. You want to be as versatile as possible to make use of any good drop your get.

I'd build something like this:

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-...2SIzPUFBYY8bYSO4brSP27_BaSJAKn8uVZu960354rg==

Still offensive, but with tons of block chance (most op and underrated stat in the game), 2 extra endurance charges and armor (use grace aura). Dexterity bonuses will give you all the hit chance you'll need, but if still unsatisfied, Resolute Technique is not too far away. Make use of resistance cluster near Marauder to compensate for all the elemental resistance holes in the gear and return points as you get better items. Unwavering Stance for stun immunity and instant block recovery (Only take after Iron Reflexes). After the aura rework Bloodmagic is useless- you are much better off using mana leech or bloodmagic gem with your main attack and make up for the lost gem slot with two auras + reduced mana gem. Every offensive node benefits all one-handed weapon types, so you can pick up anything that currently has the highest damage. Rest of the points can be used to take those juicy nodes in the center of the tree.

There are plenty of ways to go about building a sword and board Duelist, so my take on it may not be the best one, but it'll definitely be hardcore viable.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
My current build:

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-...pe4x82YzPns2nMKlzxtjcPd6W37_nUuoY7w72SPcy-Os=

Going for 2H mace stun galore. Passing on crits so i got Resolute Technique on my way to some juicy 2H and mace nodes. Blood Magic + life leech and regen is pretty awesome, my health doesn't even drop when using skills and i'm leveling all the gems to the max (might change later though).

Right now i'm doing the Bandit quest and i'm split between the base 40 HP reward and the passive skill point.

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
My current build:
Right now i'm doing the Bandit quest and i'm split between the base 40 HP reward and the passive skill point.

40 hp is ALWAYS the best choice, unless you plan on going for CI build. There is not a single node in the tree that gives you that amount of flat health.

Also, this would be a much better path to take.

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-...vDvZI9zL467nd8i_UjxkuJ-2sqlHmtC9BPxQgUEcYkcmY

Same stun treshold reduction and damage %, more attack speed, armor and health.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
40 hp it is. I'm a few points away from Diamond Skin. Any idea where to go next? Besides filling up all the 2H and mace nodes (and misc stuff i may find along the way). Any other major node i should consider?

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
Last edited:

bloodlover

Arcane
So is a two-handed mace build viable? I'm also shooting straight for Blood Magic with my Marauder just because i like the idea of not having to juggle potions, not sure whether that's a good idea though.

There's a Blood Magic gem so you can save yourself some points this way. I am loving my 2h Scion so far.

edit: Need guild and people to play with on Domination.

edit nr 2: Wtb leap, multiple projectiles, molten shell

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I'm domination, maybe we can make a Codex guild, even though for the time being i'd rather solo.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I did the stun threshold cheese myself when I played. Very effective. You need to be a little gimmicky with your attack speed though- if it's too fast you won't stunlock enemies, because you can't stun a stunned target. So it needs to be just right.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Fuuuuuuuu, i just mistakenly picked Life Gain on Hit (which i already had) rather than Stun on the act 2 spear quest. Fucking serves me right for playing for two hours straight. :(

Ho well, i'm sure it will show up later on. If anyone needs Life Gain on Hit and has Stun as a quest reward, i'll happily trade the support gem.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom