Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
1) free to play always becomes pay to win

Can you name one game that became p2w?Like it was not p2w from the start.

exactly my point, they hide it at first, then sell out as the game grows in popularity and people become invested. See: World of Tanks.

Don't see your point at all.WoT was classic p2w shit from the start with gold ammo,premium tanks and upgrades.That game embodies everything that is wrong with free to play games.PoE ,and DOTA2 in that matter , are the only games that I can name "free to play" and started like that.

Gregz

Arcane
1) free to play always becomes pay to win

Can you name one game that became p2w?Like it was not p2w from the start.

exactly my point, they hide it at first, then sell out as the game grows in popularity and people become invested. See: World of Tanks.

Don't see your point at all.WoT was classic p2w shit from the start with gold ammo,premium tanks and upgrades.That game embodies everything that is wrong with free to play games.PoE ,and DOTA2 in that matter , are the only games that I can name "free to play" and started like that.

I don't think we are disagreeing, right now you can buy inventory tabs, and currency like exalts are being listed in USD.

It's just a matter of time before it goes full RMAH.

I've never seen a 'free to play' game that wasn't 'pay to win', except games that get their revenue from advertising, which all but the most casual gamer will not tolerate.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
This game is easily the best action RPG we had in years.

strangely enough GGG did change the difficulty of the starting levels in Normal difficulty, from memory I think they said the later stages (and/or acts) were increased in difficulty. Although for players returning after an extended period I think what would mostly alter the sense of challenge is the accessibility of the early skill pathways. Previously characters would need to unify different branches to improve core attributes such as attack speed, damage, mana, health, armour types etc. As of the last six or so months GGG have substantially revised the skill trees so that most core attributes are streamlined along either of the two starting skill pathways.

as a point of interest there used to be four starting branches with limited interconnections between them and many of the passive skills now immediately accessible were arranged so that players had to commit to a select few skill choices. Developing characters along the skill tree definitely makes for a more enjoyable early game experience but as something of a longterm player I'm still surprised at how concentrated the potential of starting skill selections have become and the effect this has on the introduction to Wraeclast.

I never played the beta but i personally think the progression in this game is nothing short of brilliant. They basically solved one of the biggest pet peeves i have with this genre, that of making progress meaningful at every stage of the way, economically as well as from the point of view of the skill tree.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I don't think we are disagreeing, right now you can buy inventory tabs, and currency like exalts are being listed in USD.

I've never seen a 'free to play' game that wasn't 'pay to win', except games that get their revenue from advertising, which all but the most casual gamer will not tolerate.

So you are wrong ,games never become p2w,they start that way.Buying currency with money is not legal and you will be banned if caught.Maybe there can be argument for stash tabs,but how much you really need?One account can have 24 characters + 4 huge tabs and you can make more free accounts to horde even more. There is not a more fitting example to call that buying "convenience".

I've never seen a 'free to play' game that wasn't 'pay to win'

So your cherry has been popped,PoE was mine first too, bro.Will dock ,oK?

Last edited:

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
I think you're right, BlackAdderBG - the only examples I can think of of F2P games becoming P2W are games that didn't start out as F2P.

The PoE devs have shown themselves to be bros thus far, so there's definitely hope of that trend continuing here - unless they don't make enough money from stash tabs and cosmetic shit, of course.

Gregz

Arcane

So you are wrong ,games never become p2w,they start that way.Buying currency with money is not legal and you will be banned if caught.Maybe there can be argument for stash tabs,but how much you really need?One account can have 24 characters + 4 huge tabs and you can make more free accounts to horde even more. There is not a more fitting example to call that buying "convenience".

I've never seen a 'free to play' game that wasn't 'pay to win'

So your cherry has been popped,PoE was mine first too, bro.Will dock ,oK?

Yes, we agree, and I am wrong.

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
Died to cruel dominus. Secound time I lose a char to that faggot. The whole fight is a fucking laggy mess and even when I'm standing inside the bubble I'm melting like butter. Maybe desync or something. I was way over level, had 3,2k hp and max resists. Fuck this gay earth.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Dear god the song at the credits. o_0

Dominus just raped the shit out of me on normal (nearly one shotted and everything). Shouldn't have gone so soon for sheer damage on my build. Trying to get some life next, to see if it helps. Also, stun is saving my ass more than anything else, thank god for that (i nearly stun locked Dominus in his animal form all the way through, then he got away and he creamed me).

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
What patcher, steam downloads patches and they're ready instantly, are they not?

Previous patches was god damn awful.

Last edited:

Gerrard

Arcane
I didn't check, but it took 5+ (maybe 10+) minutes to patch after downloading. It just stays at 100% and if you go to the downloads tab it says "Updating" and there's a small progress bar.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Dear god the song at the credits. o_0

Dominus just raped the shit out of me on normal (nearly one shotted and everything). Shouldn't have gone so soon for sheer damage on my build. Trying to get some life next, to see if it helps. Also, stun is saving my ass more than anything else, thank god for that (i nearly stun locked Dominus in his animal form all the way through, then he got away and he creamed me).
I'm playing a Witch and every time I try at Dominus I get destroyed when he goes into his animal form. It's not so much his direct attacks that destroys me, but the blood rain which stops my energy shield from recuperating whilst quickly whittling away my health as I try to recover my position.

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
As it stands, Dominus is completely retarded and badly though out fight. Not only is he way too strong for the content, but squishy kiting builds are fucked in the ass because of his second form. Between blood rain, his melee attacks and adds shooting at you, there is just no chance for those who rely on energy shield recharge. Also, good luck refilling your potions with adds suicide bombing you for 60% health. Him being hard on merciless is understandable, but not on earlier difficulties when people still haven't finished their builds and gotten high-end gear.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Well, its not a problem on normal since you loose what, a few town portal scrolls? On cruel already becomes a problem because of the xp penalty.

Stabwound

Arcane
I predict a large number of new people that think the game is great and will get bored as shit with it about 1/2 way through the last difficulty level.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
You're retarded. You're probably one of those people who think that a game is pay2win if you can buy something gameplay related with money.

He wouldn't be wrong about that.

I predict a large number of new people that think the game is great and will get bored as shit with it about 1/2 way through the last difficulty level.

I predict that sun will rise in the morning.

Fart Master

Savant
But the last 50% of merciless is when the game becomes good. Normal is the most tedious shit in life.

Gerrard

Arcane
I hopped on my old DW duelist and holy fuck my damage is shit now.
There's no AoE skill to use now that they nerfed cleave.

Padre

Liturgist
There are plenty. Try Reave + multistrike or Dual Strike + multistrike + melee Splash. Each time you crit half of the screen dies.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yup,I'm playing as a DW duelist with Dual Strike + multistrike + melee Splash, as Padre saying masses are dying in mere seconds :) You can use Cyclone too instead. But Cyclone with support gems need more mana and it desync. more than dual strike.

Gerrard

Arcane
Isn't Cyclone still shit. I don't think they changed anything about it from the last time I played. You'd need to build around it as your main skill to be viable.

Also
XF3Ci4X.png

10MB patch takes 5 minutes to apply.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
5 minutes,horrible!! It's 10 times worse than the 8 hours that it take for biggest PC developer to do the same. :roll:

Oh so you're actually retarded and weren't just pretending earlier. Good to know.

So you weren't unhappy 10mb patch takes 5 min to apply?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom